Author Topic: When Prog and Power Unite (Podcast) wpapu.com  (Read 29424 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: When Prog and Power Unite: Radio and Podcast (Live Wed, 6-9pm EDT)
« Reply #175 on: October 21, 2015, 02:13:01 PM »
November 18th however there shall be no show, as I'll be on a boat.

Awesome!!!

Yeah, I'm super psyched, still can't believe that my buddy won the cabin deal within a few weeks of my deciding I couldn't go. You obviously know how amazing the last cruise was, and this is back on the same ship, so I am excited.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #176 on: October 21, 2015, 02:52:36 PM »
Damn I'm super jealous. How did your friend win that?
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #177 on: October 21, 2015, 03:00:49 PM »
There was a contest we both entered, and they did drawings every week. Grand prize was a free cabin, runner up prizes were 70% off a cabin of your choice. He won the latter. With three people on an inside stateroom the result is $225 per person for the cruise, and you can't beat that.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #178 on: October 28, 2015, 12:53:14 PM »
Show tonight!

When Prog and Power Unite (www.wpapu.com) will be taking over the airwaves on progrock.com on Wednesday, October 28th, from 5-8pm CDT/6-9pm EDT/10pm-1am UTC.

We are going to try out a special feature tonight, and instead of featuring an album, we're going to feature an artist, namely Arjen Anthony Lucassen, and his assorted works including Ayreon, Star.One, Stream of Passion, Guilt Machine, his solo album, and The Gentle Storm. There will be more commentary from me than usual about Arjen and his effect on me and what I think he's meant to the prog community at large.

Australian act TERAMAZE will be making their debut on the program tonight, a likely preview of next week's featured album, and we also have some new live stuff from Pagan's Mind.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #179 on: October 28, 2015, 12:55:44 PM »
Damn, I'll miss the show about Arjen and next week when I attend there will be probably some mediocre band featured. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #180 on: October 28, 2015, 01:02:32 PM »
Well, there always is the podcast. :D

Not that I wouldn't feature Teramaze next week anyway, but the reason I am pencilling them in for that week, as has just is confirmed, is that I'll be doing an interview with their guitarist and will have that up over the weekend.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #181 on: October 28, 2015, 03:47:22 PM »
Show in 10 minutes!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #182 on: October 28, 2015, 03:52:48 PM »
No show for me tonight. Lisa and I are going to diner celebrating 21 year of her putting up with me.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #183 on: October 28, 2015, 09:22:06 PM »
No show for me tonight. Lisa and I are going to diner celebrating 21 year of her putting up with me.

After all that I hope you got her a bottle of wine or 3 to help put up with the next few decades. :biggrin:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #184 on: October 29, 2015, 05:39:57 AM »

After all that I hope you got her a bottle of wine or 3 to help put up with the next few decades. :biggrin:

You know she medicates with beer. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #185 on: November 04, 2015, 01:35:59 PM »
Still sitting in some continuing education right now, but will be home in time for show. Tonight the feature is Teramaze.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #186 on: November 04, 2015, 02:13:18 PM »
Dammit.  Lisa's birthday today so this guy is cooking dinner for her.  Sorry Nick!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #187 on: November 04, 2015, 04:52:37 PM »
Dammit.  Lisa's birthday today so this guy is cooking dinner for her.  Sorry Nick!

Understandable of course, please tell her happy birthday for me! :D

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: November 04, 2015, 05:24:07 PM »
Will do.  I'm cooking as I typed!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #189 on: November 04, 2015, 05:29:31 PM »

So is it an anniversary or a birthday? 

Oh I see. Both in the same week!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #190 on: November 04, 2015, 05:59:19 PM »
October 28th anniversary
November 4th the bosses birthday

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #191 on: November 07, 2015, 06:29:51 AM »
Excited to finally be unveiling this, as Joe, Mason, and myself had a fun time with this and I like the results.

https://wpapu.com/ep-324-november-music-mixer/

Hello everyone, a very special When Prog and Power Unite podcast went live this morning. It's called the November Music Mixer, and instead of being primarily music, it features all three contributors to the show talking about various musical topics.

On the docket for this debut mixer is the new album news and PR campaign from Dream Theater​, who appear to be going all out on the new album and tour. We talk about the expected return to heavier material from Swedish band Pain of Salvation​. We also discuss the recent appearance of Ghost B.C​ on The Late Show with Steven Colbert, as well as the latest album from Trivium​, Silence in the Snow. Finally we went back to talk about the huge new album from Iron Maiden​, and to discuss some bad concert experiences.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #192 on: November 11, 2015, 01:18:39 PM »
Show tonight! The feature is... Vanden Plas!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #193 on: November 13, 2015, 09:31:11 AM »
Okay folks, a few things before I pack up for Miami tomorrow. The latest show is of course online, and I'll have the text/setlist at the end of this post.

If you get a chance please check out the music mixer podcast: https://wpapu.com/ep-324-november-music-mixer/

It's a cool new thing and I'd love some feedback on it for future mixers.

No show next week, back on the 18th.

Cheers!

This week on the program we head over to Germany for our feature, and take a look at a very long-lasting prog-metal lineup in the band Vanden Plas. Their new album is Chronicles of the Immortals: Netherworld 2, and in my humble opinion is one of those rare sequels that goes above and beyond the hype created by the original. In the year and a half since the original Netherworld it makes sense that not much in the core sound has changed, but every single song on the new album delivers a very strong punch, which is not something I would have said about the original. You can buy the new album here.

We also started off the show tonight with a track from the soon to be released Flying Colors live album, Second Flight. You can order that here.

As I mentioned during the show, there will be no live show or podcast next week, as I will be taking to the high seas on Cruise to the Edge. If the time is available post-cruise you can expect a review similar to what I did for RoSfest earlier this year, which was a very popular download. See you all in two weeks!

2015-11-11
Flying Colors – Open Up Your Eyes~
Vanden Plas – In My Universe
Pagan’s Mind – God’s Equation~
Haken – Eternal Rain
Thank You Scientist – Suspicious Wavelength
Neal Morse – Sweet Elation
Anathema – Lost Control
Vanden Plas – Godmaker’s Temptation
Teramaze – Delusions of Grandeur
Gazpacho – Know Your Time
Nad Sylvan – The Killing of the Calm
Alberto Rigoni – Corruption
Leprous – Bilateral
Vanden Plas – Blood of Eden
Mechanical Butterfly – Sparks Within a Downpour
Trivium – Dead and Gone
Waken Eyes – Arise
Allen/Lande – Another Battle
Iron Maiden – Killers
Consider the Source – Up to, but not to Exceed… Whoa
Vanden Plas – Monster

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #194 on: November 25, 2015, 03:02:09 PM »
Show tonight!

When Prog and Power Unite (www.wpapu.com) will be taking over the airwaves on progrock.com on Wednesday, November 25th, from 5-8pm CDT/6-9pm EDT/11pm-2am UTC.
Tonight we will be featuring the new album from Subsignal, The Beacons of Somewhere Sometime. We also have a brand new song from Jolly and lots of other material inspired by Cruise to the Edge, including debuits from Airbag, Lifesigns, Casey McPherson, Messenger - Band, and Bad Dreams. There will also be a full Cruise review coming (hopefully) this weekend.
We've also got a new song from Spock's Beard, and of course, some live material from the new RUSH R40 set!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #195 on: November 25, 2015, 04:56:29 PM »
Making stuffing for tomorrow Nick. Sorry!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #196 on: November 30, 2015, 06:46:16 AM »
So, a couple of updates and exciting things ahead. First off, the last podcast for everyone:

https://wpapu.com/ep-326-featuring-subsignal/

After a week off for vacation the show returns featuring a fantastic band from Germany, Subsignal. They’ve recently released The Beacons of Somewhere Sometime, their 4th studio effort. The band continues to distance themselves from their precursor of sorts, Sieges Even, and continues down a slightly more atmospheric sound as time moves along.

We also played the brand new Jolly song Ava, from their forthcoming album Family. The band is doing a newer form of crowdfunding called Patreon, and you can check out their campaign here. We will be discussing this new format on our forthcoming Music Mixer in December. Other definite topics will include the new Steven Wilson EP, 4 1/2, and the tough choice Transatlantic will face on future tours. Check out the video for Ava below.

Then there is the many bands that made their debut on the program tonight thanks to Cruise to the Edge. If you like what you heard tonight, please visit the online homes of Airbag, Bad Dreams, Messenger, Casey McPherson, and Lifesigns.

We also played the new track from Spock’s Beard, Falling For Forever. The song comes from the new compilation, The First Twenty Years. It’s not often I tell people not to buy something, but if you’re already a Spock’s Beard fan, go ahead and skip this one. Compilations mixed with original material are the devil, and buying them only assures that we’ll see more of it.

A small Canadian trio named Rush also had a recent live released, with R40 Live.  Still on the fence about this release, which can be found here? Well watch this video and then throw your money at the screen already.

To my American listeners, have a happy Thanksgiving, and to everyone else, a fantastic week, and thank you!

2015-11-25
Yes – Changes
Subsignal – Tempest
Nektar – Time Machine
Jolly – Ava
Rush – Hemispheres~
Rush – Cygnus X-1~
Spock’s Beard – Falling For Forever
Subsignal – Maelstrom
Subsignal – The Path
Sonus Umbra – Channel Zero
Bad Dreams – Apocolypse of the Mercy
Messenger – The Return
Casey McPherson – Lexington^
Flying Colors – Colder Months~^
Flying Colors – Peaceful Harbor
Airbag – Redemption
Subsignal – In This Blinding Light
Subsignal – A Canopy of Stars
Moon Safari – Lover’s End, Pt. 1
Lifesigns – Lighthouse
Blackfield – Thank You~^

And now onto what's upcoming. Next up is the regular show this Wednesday. Then, on Friday my review for Cruise to the Edge will finally be finished. Much like with RoSfest, this will be an audio only review. Then Sunday the December edition of the music mixer will go online. A lot of good topics again this month, and so I'm really looking forward to doing that.

In the more distant future, the year end lists from Mason, Joe, and myself will be posted sometime mid to late December. In addition I really like Mason's idea for doing the audio this year. We'll be doing the audio portion together as opposed to doing separate audio for each of our lists.

Finally, as always, there will be an extended year end show exclusive to 2015 material. This will either be Dec. 30 or Jan. 6. Before I set the date I was hoping for some input from regulars on if there was any preference.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #197 on: November 30, 2015, 07:16:09 AM »
I'm not really a regular, but Jan. 6 works better for me since Dec. 31 is a working day in Russia.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #198 on: November 30, 2015, 07:33:44 AM »
I'm not really a regular, but Jan. 6 works better for me since Dec. 31 is a working day in Russia.

January 7th isn't?

Either date is probably fine by me.  Hard to tell this far in advance.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #199 on: November 30, 2015, 07:44:20 AM »

January 7th isn't?

No, it isn't. January 7th is actually Christmas here.

We usually tend to get ~10 days long holidays starting with January 1st; for example, the first official working day in 2015 was January 12th, and for 2016 it'll be January 11th.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #200 on: November 30, 2015, 08:49:08 AM »

January 7th isn't?

No, it isn't. January 7th is actually Christmas here.

We usually tend to get ~10 days long holidays starting with January 1st; for example, the first official working day in 2015 was January 12th, and for 2016 it'll be January 11th.

Meanwhile, in Russia.   :lol
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #201 on: November 30, 2015, 11:07:49 AM »
Jingle.CalendarFail

January 6th is a Wednesday. :p

And saying January 7th is Christmas there is partially accurate. The major Christian denomination in Russia is Orthodox, and that's when Orthodox Christmas is. In my area there are quite a few Orthodox churches and so you will see many families here celebrate around that time. In any case it's not really Russian Christmas, as much as it is Orthodox Christmas.

I'll wait a week or so before making a decision, so if anyone else has a preference just speak up.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #202 on: November 30, 2015, 11:13:52 AM »
Jingle.CalendarFail

Nick-gobaltimezones-fail.

Ruslan's insinuation that Dec 31st is a working day means (for him) a show on Dec 30th (for us) wouldn't work as he can't make through the night, or early in the morning on the 31st.  Ergo, January 7th (for him) is the important date in question.

:dammitnick:

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #203 on: November 30, 2015, 09:40:41 PM »
Hey, I never said Jan 7th is a "Russian Christmas". :lol

But yeah, the show is at Wednesday night for my timezone so it's indeed Thursday that matters.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #204 on: December 02, 2015, 02:25:12 PM »
#AllThursdaysMatter

Wait... what? :D

In any case, show tonight featuring Sonus Umbra!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #205 on: December 02, 2015, 02:27:18 PM »
Jingle. Cannot.  Attend.

Sorry - other commitments tonight.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #206 on: December 02, 2015, 02:55:02 PM »
Jingle. Cannot.  Attend.

Sorry - other commitments tonight.

If you are having Steven Wilson over for dinner, I understand.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #207 on: December 04, 2015, 02:50:34 PM »
So, here is the last major podcast: https://wpapu.com/ep-327-featuring-sonus-umbra/

This week we are headed to the great central hub of the United States for our featured album from Chicagoland area band Sonus Umbra. This year they had a successful crowd funding campaign to get Beyond the Panopticon off the ground, and now have planned a few live shows alongside Might Could in 2016.

01/08 – Milwaukee, WI @ Shank Hall
01/09 – Chicago, IL @ The Wire
01/16 – Baltimore, MD @ Orion Sound Studios
01/17 – Dunellen, NJ @ Roxy & Duke’s

To keep up with the band and get info on these and any few shows please visit them online here. And you can buy the new album directly from them here.

I mentioned early on in the episode that Gary Wehrkamp of Shadow Gallery, and his family, have been displaced by a fire that destroyed their home, and Gary’s music studio. This horrendous setback to his life and music will take a long time to recover from, and the community around him are organizing to help. I’m hoping that music fans everywhere might be able to chip in as well. There is a benefit event being held in Stroudsburg, PA, that you can find info for here. In addition, a charity for which the Wehrkamp family has supported for many years has set up a link for direct financial contributions, and that can be found here. Thank you in advance for any help you give these wonderful people!

Also on the show tonight we had some news on a new IQ live album, Live on the Road of Bones. You can buy that directly from the band here.

We also caught up on something that slipped through the cracks earlier in the year, Beyond the Red Mirror from Blind Guardian. You can pick up that disc here.

2015-12-02
Flying Colors – Open Up Your Eyes~
Sonus Umbra – Grotesquerie
Chris Squire – Silently Falling
Shadow Gallery – With Honor
Shadow Gallery – Venom
Martin Barre – Thick as a Brick^
Mystery – If You See Her
Blind Guardian – The Ninth Wave
Sonus Umbra – Blood and Diamonds
IQ – Ocean
Messenger – The Perpetual Glow of a Setting Sun
Vanden Plas – Diabolical Comedia
Bruce Dickinson – King in Crimson~
Iris Divine – Apathy Rains
Sonus Umbra – Paramnesia
Waken Eyes – Exodus
Gazpacho – Choir of Ancestors
Scale the Summit – Blue Sun
Strattman – The Scene of the Crime
Queensryche – Warning
Metallica – Leper Messiah
Sonus Umbra – Love Undone

---

And I'm not going to post the text, as it's mainly links, but here is my review of Cruise to the Edge: https://wpapu.com/review-cruise-to-the-edge-2015/

---

We recorded the last music mixer last night, and I will edit tonight, so that's still on schedule for Sunday.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #208 on: December 04, 2015, 05:08:17 PM »
Sonus Umbra is a fun one. Listening to your Cruise to the Edge review now- I'm so jealous  :lol
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #209 on: December 04, 2015, 08:03:43 PM »
Sonus Umbra is a fun one. Listening to your Cruise to the Edge review now- I'm so jealous  :lol

As well you should be! That said, there will be another, likely March 2017, and if you can swing it, I'm already recommending it. No idea if I'll even be able to go, but if you can, do it!