Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 557561 times)

Offline kaos2900

Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #3430 on: August 09, 2018, 07:42:23 AM »
They need to bring this to the US

I'm sure they will. It also sounds like they have at least one album left in them.

Also, Happy 60th Bruce!

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3431 on: August 09, 2018, 07:49:55 AM »
Also, Happy 60th Bruce!

Oh, I missed that. It was apparently two days ago :metal

"Born in a mining town in '58".
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3432 on: August 09, 2018, 07:51:53 AM »
That’s is easily my favorite Bruce solo track.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3433 on: August 09, 2018, 08:37:04 AM »
I celebrated it on my own FB page but I didn't post it here, but I can't refrain from joining in the belated celebrations for my personal hero and legend and his first 60 years  :metal

I've finished his autobiography, it's awesome. It's very laid back, one will be let down if goes into reading it hoping to hear juicy stories about Maiden (frankly the band in the latest chapter becomes just an afterthought with the albums and tours becoming just a fun vacation between flying), but it's an honest look inside the early life and then rise to stardom of one of the most phenomenal singers to ever grace a stage.

Loved the Sarajevo chapter and the one about the cancer, those were very deep. I also like how he didn't shy from commenting on embarassing things he did, like saying how he couldn't explain why with one of his early bands they were punching a giant Snoopy puppet on stage, on how he mistakenly said to a spanish audience "I am the best singer in the world" believing he was complimenting the crowd instead  :lol
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3434 on: August 09, 2018, 08:39:37 AM »
I will sometimes look forward to a show once I have tickets, and certainly in the days before the show... but I can honestly say, I have not looked forward to seeing a band this far out - no dates yet, no tix, no nothing, just the PROMISE of a tour - since I was 25*.

* A really, REALLY long time ago. 

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3435 on: August 09, 2018, 09:17:08 AM »
I will sometimes look forward to a show once I have tickets, and certainly in the days before the show... but I can honestly say, I have not looked forward to seeing a band this far out - no dates yet, no tix, no nothing, just the PROMISE of a tour - since I was 25*.

* A really, REALLY long time ago.

My concern with the next US tour is that it will be limited dates hitting only big markets which means unless the stars align I'll probably miss it. Seems like they alternate small and big US tours. Prove me wrong guys!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3436 on: August 09, 2018, 10:02:03 AM »
If it's a dedicated US tour, then I'd expect a full one, but if they do an Ed Force One or some other form of a world tour hitting up lots of countries, then yea, I can see it only being the big markets in the US. 

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3437 on: August 09, 2018, 11:11:57 AM »
I expect and assume that it will be a full blown US tour, with dates in South America and maybe Australia / India, and possibly selected and few european dates at festivals.

This tour is critically acclaimed everywhere and there's no way they won't make a gazillion money from it by hitting properly all of North America.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3439 on: August 20, 2018, 08:16:19 AM »
Interesting behind the scenes with Kevin van Druten

I watched the video with his brother Ken.
(Just busting on you).

I have no doubt that it was Dave Murray's rig that needed the bigger diaphragm.   :)   

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3440 on: August 20, 2018, 09:26:52 AM »
Watched Scream for Me Sarajevo over the weekend. Fantastic yet depressing film. Highly recommended. 

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #3442 on: August 21, 2018, 08:07:57 AM »
I expect and assume that it will be a full blown US tour, with dates in South America and maybe Australia / India, and possibly selected and few european dates at festivals.

This tour is critically acclaimed everywhere and there's no way they won't make a gazillion money from it by hitting properly all of North America.

I hope so. I need to rejoin the Maiden fan club in advance of it. That was so worth it on the Book of Souls tour.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3443 on: August 21, 2018, 08:16:11 AM »

I hope so. I need to rejoin the Maiden fan club in advance of it. That was so worth it on the Book of Souls tour.

I've been doing that for each of the last 4 or 5 tours.  Just sign back up once they announce the dates so I can get my code and be on the floor.  It's also lead to me winning a first to the barrier and more awesomely, a trip onstage for Heaven Can Wait.  The Iron Maiden fan club is the only fan club I've ever paid for and I've gotten so much in return.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3444 on: August 25, 2018, 09:30:45 AM »
I won't argue that being on stage with the band as they're actually playing is exceptionally awesome, but what I would love is a complete tour of the stage set.

Logistically it would be a bit of an issue - they build the stage, then the other bands have to soundcheck, they have to cover it, people start coming in etc etc.... but I would love, aside from going "who ho ho" next to Steve Harris on stage, to actually walk around it and take it all in. Concentrate on the details, looking at the floor design, climb up on the top, just taking notice of every single detail that makes up the stage.

Wasn't there talks about a possible Iron Maiden museum sometime in the future? I'd love for them to rent an hangar or something and then build there for walking and visiting pleasure their most famous stage sets, maybe scaled down a bit for convenience.

"Come here and walk on the Powerslave stage set and then head over the Maiden England stage set and then visit the Legacy of the Beast stage" would send me in "Shut up and take my money" mode immediately.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 04:08:55 PM by MirrorMask »

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3445 on: August 25, 2018, 11:09:56 AM »
That would be awesome, inside a hangar is a great idea too. 

And yea, the worst part about being on stage with them was how quick it all went, the sold out crowd, the music, the realization the band is right there playing.  It went by in a flash and I feel like there was so much more I wanted to look at and soak in.  Can't really complain, easily the best concert moment of my life.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3446 on: August 25, 2018, 11:34:32 AM »
That would be awesome, inside a hangar is a great idea too. 

And yea, the worst part about being on stage with them was how quick it all went, the sold out crowd, the music, the realization the band is right there playing.  It went by in a flash and I feel like there was so much more I wanted to look at and soak in.  Can't really complain, easily the best concert moment of my life.

It actually does go by faster when you're watching from the side. Battlecross set went by like in 10 sec. I remember the guitarist giving me a beer, we all went up who were gonna watch, basically their friends and me (I pledged on Indigogo to support them on Mayhem, guess I was the only one from New Mexico). I still have that picture...it was amazing.

I'd be in total disbelief the whole time for Maiden.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3447 on: September 29, 2018, 06:02:32 AM »
I saw this list of Maiden album tracks that have never been performed live. Can anyone confirm the accuracy of it?

Killers:
1. Prodigal Son

The Number of the Beast:
2. Invaders
3. Gangland

Piece of Mind:
4. Quest for Fire
5. Sun and Steel

Powerslave:
6. Flash of the Blade
7. The Duellists

Somewhere in Time:
8. Deja-Vu
9. Alexander The Great

Seventh Son of a Seventh Son:
10. The Prophecy
11. Only the Good Die Young

No Prayer for the Dying:
12. Fates Warning
13. Run Silent Run Deep
14. Mother Russia

Fear of the Dark:
15. Fear is the Key
16. Childhood's End
17. The Fugitive
18. Chains of Misery
19. The Apparition
20. Judas Be My Guide
21. Weekend Warrior

The X-Factor:
22. Look for the Truth
23. Judgement of Heaven
24. 2 A.M.
25. The Unbeliever

Virtual XI:
26. Como Estais Amigos

Brave New World:
27. The Nomad
28. The Thin Line between Love and Hate

Dance of Death:
29. Montségur
30. Gates of Tomorrow
31. New Frontier
32. Face in the Sand
33. Age of Innocence

The Final Frontier:
34. Mother of Mercy
35. The Alchemist
36. Isle of Avalon
37. Starblind
38. The Man Who Would Be King

The Book of Souls:
39. When the River Runs Deep
40. Shadows of the Valley
41. The Man of Sorrows
42. Empire of the Clouds

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3448 on: September 29, 2018, 06:05:58 AM »
How have they not played Flash of the Blade live? WTF?
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3449 on: September 29, 2018, 06:20:30 AM »
Sooo many great ones.  :-\
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3450 on: September 29, 2018, 06:32:51 AM »
I don't think they played Back in the Village either.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3451 on: September 29, 2018, 06:43:55 AM »

Aside from this, I think the list is pretty accurate.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #3452 on: September 29, 2018, 08:24:31 AM »
No Invaders? Are you kidding me??

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #3453 on: September 29, 2018, 08:35:36 AM »

IIRC it got played at like a show or two and then dropped. Same with one of the tracks from Somewhere in Time.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Ruba

« Reply #3454 on: September 29, 2018, 01:05:08 PM »

IIRC it got played at like a show or two and then dropped. Same with one of the tracks from Somewhere in Time.

No, I'm pretty sure it has never been played. I'll double check, but I'm almost 100% sure.

Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner was played only once, in Belgrade.

But yeah, not counting Back in the Village, the list is correct. I also checked B-sides and well, only Invasion, Burning Ambition and I Got the Fire (and Total Eclipse) have been performed out of those.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 01:18:39 PM by Ruba »

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3455 on: September 29, 2018, 01:29:35 PM »
They could make a great "we never played these songs live" tour setlist from that. A lot of great songs I am surprised they never played.

Offline DTA

« Reply #3456 on: September 29, 2018, 04:22:40 PM »
I just find it amazing that they never pulled any of these out after the fact. I can see not playing every song from an album on that album’s tour due to time constraints, but it’s always cool when a band plays those songs on later tours. It makes it feel like they’re still touring for that album somewhat. What makes certain bands so unwilling to play rare or unplayed songs? The biggest mystery in the universe in my opinion...

Offline Ruba

« Reply #3457 on: September 29, 2018, 06:52:06 PM »
Hey, and Virus has never been played live neither! One of the two singles that has not been played live (and Empire of the Clouds single release was a Record Store Day gimmick anyway). Well, I don't personally care about that song that much, it feels like it's a mish-mash of parts that don't necessarily fit that well together. The fast section is quite cool though.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3458 on: September 29, 2018, 08:47:03 PM »
Doesn't Harry have a "rule" that if it wasn't played at least once on the initial tour of that album , it never gets played?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3459 on: September 29, 2018, 09:06:36 PM »
Doesn't Harry have a "rule" that if it wasn't played at least once on the initial tour of that album , it never gets played?

This was my understanding as well.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #3460 on: September 30, 2018, 02:26:58 AM »

Stupidest thing I’ve ever heard. So many great songs go to waste because of that.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3461 on: September 30, 2018, 02:38:18 AM »
They could make a great "we never played these songs live" tour setlist from that. A lot of great songs I am surprised they never played.

You're welcome.

(intro tape)
Invaders
Flash of the Blade
The Alchemist
Run Silent, Run Deep
2 A.M.
Montsegur
Mother Russia
Shadows of the Valley
Judas Be My Guide
Isle of Avalon
Sun and Steel
The Nomad
Iron Maiden (because yes)
=============
Alexander the Great (Happy now? geez)
When the River Runs Deep
Only the Good Die Young

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3462 on: September 30, 2018, 03:04:04 AM »
That's a fine setlist.

Judas Be My Guide and Only The Good Die Young :metal

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3463 on: September 30, 2018, 04:49:23 AM »
Hey, and Virus has never been played live neither! One of the two singles that has not been played live (and Empire of the Clouds single release was a Record Store Day gimmick anyway). Well, I don't personally care about that song that much, it feels like it's a mish-mash of parts that don't necessarily fit that well together. The fast section is quite cool though.

A strong contender for Maiden's worst song. The intro seems to last FOREVER, the guitars are thin, lyrics are bad, and the solos are cut and paste. I remember seeing the video when it came out, scratching my head a bit and thinking "man, what happened to Maiden?"

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3464 on: September 30, 2018, 05:22:27 AM »
Anyway, I don't usually do cover bands, but yesterday I saw a Maiden cover band that presented the entire Legacy of the Beast show: they played the exact same setlist, and even with the blatant low budget, they managed to recreate as best as they could the backdrops and the costumes, it was tasteful and not corny at all. Also, my cousin and her boyfriend didn't manage to see the actual show for budget reasons so I figured a nice evening together just to gave them a taste of what they missed was fine.

Reliving the show made me think about these points:
- Man, the show and setlist were REALLY good. One of their best shows ever, and given their setlist history, the most daring and innovative one as it could be reasonably expected.
- The solo sections are incredibily well constructed. Sure, Maiden have the repetitive chorus problem, but when they go prog, they create great solo sections (such as Sign of the Cross') which are more cohesive within the song than some of our own Dream Theater solo sections of past albums.
- The trademark stuff of Maiden - the gallop rhytm for example - is sure as hell recognizable, but it works in every song. The fast pace of the shorter tunes and the epic atmosphere of the most recent ones, expecially the reunion era, always manage to get the songs going.

Also, I think it was a bit daring for a cover band to pull out stuff like Sign of the Cross and For the Greater Good of God, usually people want to see a classics galore, but they were well received. The Clansman anyway beat them both, even if it's a Blaze song, everyone was singing along, also to the guitar melodies.

And, no matter if it's the real band or a cover band, Fear of the Dark, The Trooper and The Number of the Beast I guess will always get the best reaction from the crowd.