Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 557518 times)

Online PowerSlave

Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #3360 on: May 29, 2018, 02:56:06 AM »
When I read the news stories of Bruce hyping up the setlist I had much higher hopes than this end result. I had envisioned songs like Remember Tomorrow, Killers, 22 Acacia Ave, To Tame a Land, Empire of the Clouds and Alex to be in the mix. I'd even like to see them bring back Pashendale.

I am happy to see them put the two Blaze era tracks into the set. I'm not a big fan of that time, but a lot of people stuck with them and they deserve to hear some of their stuff being played live.

This band re-established themselves in the reunion era by not playing things safe, but I can't help feeling like they're doing exactly that now.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3361 on: May 29, 2018, 08:10:48 AM »
This band re-established themselves in the reunion era by not playing things safe, but I can't help feeling like they're doing exactly that now.

I think fans need to keep in mind that this tour is a tie-in for the mobile Legacy of the Beast game.  When Maiden toured for Ed Hunter, they only played songs from that soundtrack (which was voted on by fans, and also featured the reunion of Bruce and Adrian).

Every legacy tour since then has been based around the existing material (Early Days, Live After Death, Maiden England DVD's) where the setlist was generally constructed using the original setlist from that release, or in the case of the Early Days, only songs from the first few records. 

This time, they've busted out a few rarely played songs, plus two songs from the Blaze era that have been absent for about 15 years.  So I don't have any complaints about the set, which has to generally represent the mobile game.  At least the visual show is very different than what they've done for the last 5-10 years.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3362 on: May 29, 2018, 09:02:30 AM »
I think it's a great set. But definitely not the internet stopper that Bruce was talking about.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3363 on: May 29, 2018, 09:18:15 AM »
I think it's a great set. But definitely not the internet stopper that Bruce was talking about.
Sure it is.  There are threads popping up all over the Internet along the lines of, "These fans when to a Maiden concert.  You won't believe what happened next."
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3364 on: May 29, 2018, 09:29:23 AM »
Yeah maybe. It IS a great setlist. Personally, I feel it didn't live up to the tease. It's going to look/sound like I'm complaining about the setlist which I am definitely not doing. I do think it's fantastic.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #3365 on: May 29, 2018, 12:41:55 PM »
I'm all in on the setlist, and very pleased. Then again, I'm coming at it from the perspective of a fan who has only seen them four or five times. But I love what I see on the set, and if this is brought to my area, I'll be there.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3366 on: May 29, 2018, 01:38:22 PM »
Nicko said recently that they did rehearse Alexander the Great, but ended up deciding not to play it because "it didn't work". Fcuck mates, make it work then!!!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3367 on: May 29, 2018, 01:51:05 PM »
I'm all in on the setlist, and very pleased.

Me too!!!!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3368 on: May 29, 2018, 01:57:27 PM »
I'm all in on the setlist, and very pleased.

Me too!!!!

Holy cow do they come out swinging on this tour!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3369 on: May 29, 2018, 02:01:20 PM »
Nicko said recently that they did rehearse Alexander the Great, but ended up deciding not to play it because "it didn't work". Fcuck mates, make it work then!!!
That's interesting, my first thought would be that I wouldn't rank that as one of their complicated epics other than the 7/4 section. I guess he could refer to other things. The vocals are pretty demanding though, maybe that's one reason.
Either way that's sad too hear, if they would have played that my life would basically been complete.  :biggrin:
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #3370 on: May 29, 2018, 02:03:19 PM »
Ugh, I hate to be such a downer about everything but is anyone underwhelmed by the setlist?
<snip>
Just seems like a wasted opportunity to really branch out and truly go nuts with the setlist. I'm just not seeing the hype over this group of songs.
You're not the only one, and I'm glad to see I'm not the only one either. When I saw the setlist, I thought *this* is what Bruce is making such a big deal over? Really?!?!? I'm sure the show itself (lights, props, etc.) is awesome, but while there's some great tracks that have been included, there's absolutely nothing in that setlist that would make me say something even remotely like 'F***ing hell, I can't believe they played that song!' to quote Bruce.

So many missed opportunities. As someone else said, good on them for including a couple Blaze-era tracks, and it's nice to see them include something from most albums in their catalog. But there's a lot of stuff in the setlist that has been played umpteen times, and something else could've been played instead. To Tame a Land. Infinite Dreams. Be Quick or Be Dead. Caught Somewhere in Time or Sea of Madness if Alex the Great is a no-go. Something other than Wrathchild off of Killers. Total Eclipse (now there's something to represent NotB that diehards would drool over).
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3371 on: May 29, 2018, 02:26:45 PM »
That's interesting, my first thought would be that I wouldn't rank that as one of their complicated epics other than the 7/4 section. I guess he could refer to other things. The vocals are pretty demanding though, maybe that's one reason.
Either way that's sad too hear, if they would have played that my life would basically been complete.  :biggrin:

Same here, man. Anyway, here's the link to the interview where he mentions Alexander: https://youtu.be/DOfpVAtj1tU

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3372 on: May 29, 2018, 02:28:33 PM »
Ugh, I hate to be such a downer about everything but is anyone underwhelmed by the setlist?
<snip>
Just seems like a wasted opportunity to really branch out and truly go nuts with the setlist. I'm just not seeing the hype over this group of songs.
You're not the only one, and I'm glad to see I'm not the only one either. When I saw the setlist, I thought *this* is what Bruce is making such a big deal over? Really?!?!? I'm sure the show itself (lights, props, etc.) is awesome, but while there's some great tracks that have been included, there's absolutely nothing in that setlist that would make me say something even remotely like 'F***ing hell, I can't believe they played that song!' to quote Bruce.

So many missed opportunities. As someone else said, good on them for including a couple Blaze-era tracks, and it's nice to see them include something from most albums in their catalog. But there's a lot of stuff in the setlist that has been played umpteen times, and something else could've been played instead. To Tame a Land. Infinite Dreams. Be Quick or Be Dead. Caught Somewhere in Time or Sea of Madness if Alex the Great is a no-go. Something other than Wrathchild off of Killers. Total Eclipse (now there's something to represent NotB that diehards would drool over).

To Tame a Land will NEVER be played because of the whole issue they had with the author of Dune. And Total Eclipse...well, only if Bruce finds out a different way to sing it, because there's NO WAY he can reach those notes now.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #3373 on: May 29, 2018, 02:43:19 PM »
To Tame a Land will NEVER be played because of the whole issue they had with the author of Dune.
Just glanced at Wikipedia to see what the story was, and all it said was that the author of Dune doesn't like Maiden's type of music and wouldn't permit them to name the song Dune. Is there more to the story than that like there was with Hallowed Be Thy Name? If not, I'd think they'd want to play it in spite of the author.

And Total Eclipse...well, only if Bruce finds out a different way to sing it, because there's NO WAY he can reach those notes now.
Fair enough, but I'm sure where there's a will, there's a way!

But even taking those 2 out of the picture, there's plenty of other tracks that could've been included...and weren't.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3374 on: May 29, 2018, 02:50:26 PM »
I know, man. I guess the current setlist is as ambitious as we're gonna get when it comes to Maiden. Same as playing Powerslave and Children of the Damned on the last tour: they pick some quasi-obscure tracks and bring them to life, but nothing that has never been played when the albums were released. I agree with you on Infinite Dreams, they missed that boat on the Maiden England World Tour, God knows why. To Tame a Land was played in the Piece of Mid Tour, but I don't think it got a good reaction from the crowd - maybe that's the main reason they don't dust it off. But they seemed pretty adamant with the Dune dude, so it could be one thing or another. Caught Somewhere in Time I would REALLY like to hear, but they said it fell kinda flat in the one tour they played it. Same thing with Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner.

From their more recent period, I never understood why they didn't play Montsegur. That's one of my favourite songs since the "reunion", and would kill live...

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #3375 on: May 30, 2018, 12:14:21 AM »
I agree with you on Infinite Dreams, they missed that boat on the Maiden England World Tour, God knows why.

I wish I could remember where I read it but I can't so I don't have a source for this (so, it very well may not have even been the case), but I remember reading somewhere that they had intended to play Infinite Dreams but Bruce was having trouble with it so they went with Afraid To Shoot Strangers instead.
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3376 on: May 30, 2018, 04:48:11 AM »

That's interesting. I just dont thk the band feels it will work well live and I'm really not sure why. If they can do all the newer material, I dont dre why this song couldn't work well live. Oh well. We wont ever get it if they tried and failed here.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3377 on: May 30, 2018, 06:48:27 AM »
I'm not claiming to be an expert, and it's not like Bruce and I have sat down and chatted about this, but I don't think the "To Tame A Land" thing has ANYTHING to do with Frank Hebert at this point.    Even back then - and I bought the album on release, so was big into Maiden at the time - it struck me more as a "hey, we're as metal as fuck; we're so metal the Dune guy wouldn't have anything to do with us! Up the irons, mate!" thing than any real behind the scenes beef.   

I don't know; we all have our holy grails - someone said "Total Eclipse" and I said "YES PLEASE!" - but honestly, if you've been following Maiden for any period of time, none of this should be a surprise.  Meaning, yes, some of the songs are interesting, but you weren't ever going to get "Prodigal Son", "The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner" or "The Sheriff Of Huddersfield", and I think it was somewhat unrealistic to think you would.   

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #3378 on: May 31, 2018, 02:30:49 PM »
There’s been a few videos popping up on YouTube of the recent shows, and the stage show looks absolutely fantastic. Looks like they’ve thrown the kitchen sink at this one.  :tup

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3379 on: June 01, 2018, 01:49:27 PM »
To Tame a Land will NEVER be played because of the whole issue they had with the author of Dune.
Just glanced at Wikipedia to see what the story was, and all it said was that the author of Dune doesn't like Maiden's type of music and wouldn't permit them to name the song Dune. Is there more to the story than that like there was with Hallowed Be Thy Name? If not, I'd think they'd want to play it in spite of the author.

The story is something to the effect that the band sent a letter to Herbert seeking permission to call the song Dune (something they likely didn't need to do).  Supposedly, Herbert's agent responded that Herbert doesn't like rock bands, particularly heavy rock bands, and especially bands like Maiden.  That obviously occurred before Piece of Mind was released and yet they still played the song 133 times on the World Piece Tour, including a June 5, 1983 show in Stockholm during which Bruce called Herbert a "cunt" because he threatened a lawsuit if the band called the song "Dune."  They then launched into the song.  So I doubt "the whole issue they had with the author of Dune" has anything to do with the song not having been played since 1983.  I suppose it's possible that there was some sort of threat of a lawsuit and that the matter was settled by agreement not to play the song again, but there's no apparent evidence of anything like that.

TTaL might be my all time favorite Maiden song.  Seeing it live would be a lot like when I got to see Rush play Jacob's Ladder and Losing it during their final show.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3380 on: June 01, 2018, 01:58:17 PM »
TTAL would be cool to see performed again, but I think I'd rather ATG only because they haven't done it.  TTAL is probably the better song though. 

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #3381 on: June 01, 2018, 02:32:30 PM »
How about they drop the last 3 songs from the main set, and add both TTaL and AtG to the set? That would be enough to get my attention!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3382 on: June 01, 2018, 02:37:50 PM »
oh hell yea  :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3383 on: June 01, 2018, 02:43:32 PM »
Ehh..I've already seen To Tame A Land live.  ;D ;D

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3384 on: June 01, 2018, 02:58:10 PM »
Yes, but that's only because you were alive and going to concerts back in the stone age when it was written and Maiden were playing it on their stone instruments as the opening act for Fred Flintstone's band.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3385 on: June 01, 2018, 03:12:12 PM »

"He will take the Gom Jibbar"  :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3386 on: June 01, 2018, 03:21:54 PM »
 :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3387 on: June 01, 2018, 03:41:21 PM »
How about they drop the last 3 songs from the main set, and add both TTaL and AtG to the set? That would be enough to get my attention!

I'd be all for that.  By the way, is this tour coming to the U.S. at some point?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3388 on: June 01, 2018, 03:45:10 PM »
Bit late on this, but thats a great setlist. Maiden were never going to get crazy with song selecrions, let's be honest. But the Blaze tracks, Icarus, Greater Good, Eagles etc. That's sweet.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3389 on: June 02, 2018, 09:01:56 PM »
If I find out that they're doing The Sign of the Cross, I'm going, no questions asked.   I've seen them do The Clansmen, and Bruce absolutely tore it up.   

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3390 on: June 03, 2018, 06:13:30 AM »
Then you're going..

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3391 on: June 03, 2018, 11:20:55 AM »
Yea and even more a review I saw in Sweden gave that song 5 out of 5 and said it was one of the highlights of the evening sooo have fun Stadler.  :biggrin:

I'm bummed i'm missing Maiden this year, non of the dates in Scandinavia worked for me.  :-\
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3392 on: June 03, 2018, 11:29:43 AM »
Speaking of Sweden, Stockholm show here:
https://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=623098

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3393 on: June 03, 2018, 01:46:39 PM »
Well, I know it's on the setlist now; I'm afraid it will be dropped here in the States for Wrathschild, or something equally obscure. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3394 on: June 03, 2018, 02:04:30 PM »
Well, I know it's on the setlist now; I'm afraid it will be dropped here in the States for Wrathschild, or something equally obscure.

I believe it will make it. I also believe Wrathchild will make it too. :lol

I'll be shocked if For The Greater Good Of God survives.