Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 557777 times)

Offline MirrorMask

Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #3325 on: April 20, 2018, 03:06:49 AM »
That is far, far beyond the "little bit" of fantasy craft you announced  :lol

If I pretend Maiden do the shows DT style (intermission, rotating setlists etc) that could work, even though I feel no need for Back in the Village, and that the encore is anticlimatic, with Phantom being a strange closer. Also If Eternity Should Fail could surely skip the intro, but it feels oddly placed there as second-to-last song of the first set.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3326 on: April 20, 2018, 07:49:58 AM »
Maiden aren't really an "intermission" kind of band, though are they?   I feel like they go out, full on for two hours, two and a half hours, and that's what you get. 

Oh, and I would kill to hear "Back In The Village".  One of my favorite Maiden songs. 

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3327 on: April 20, 2018, 08:01:40 AM »
Ridiculously amazing and long interview on Chris Jericho's podcast with Blaze Bayley.  They spend a ton of time talking about Blaze's audition and his time in Maiden, in addition to his firing from the band.

Wow - Parts of Silicon Messiah were intended for the 3rd Blaze Maiden album.   :metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdKoE0w3QMI&t=1327s
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 08:28:40 AM by Grappler »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3328 on: April 20, 2018, 08:03:01 AM »
Wow. Will check that later.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3329 on: April 20, 2018, 09:44:58 AM »
Nah.  We have the lovely live in NJ version on Flight 666 (I love this being that I was near the barrier for it).  Playing it again would be cool cause it's a great song live, but definitely not something that sets social media on fire unless the change it up some way.
Did you show up in the video? I was at the TNotB gig in LA, but I wasn't particularly close.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3330 on: April 20, 2018, 09:55:02 AM »
Nah.  We have the lovely live in NJ version on Flight 666 (I love this being that I was near the barrier for it).  Playing it again would be cool cause it's a great song live, but definitely not something that sets social media on fire unless the change it up some way.
Did you show up in the video? I was at the TNotB gig in LA, but I wasn't particularly close.

I look for myself every time I watch, but it appears I didn't make the cut

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3331 on: April 20, 2018, 12:03:46 PM »
I wonder if the set will continously change with the backdrops, or if they'll have themes being present for a bunch of songs.

As per the information on the Iron Maiden website, the kingdoms of the game where you can travel and the accompanying albums providing the soundtracks are:

AILING KINGDOM:
Seventh Son, Brave New World

BATTLEFIELD:
Powerslave, Piece of Mind, A Matter of Life and Death

UNDERWORLD:
The Number of the Beast

KINGDOM OF THE SANDS:
Powerslave, BNW

And on a Legacy of the Beast wikia I saw announced a "Night City" level (obviously a callback for the Di'Anno era).

So, for the Ailing Kingdom, we've got The Evil that Men Do and Brave New World (the song), or maybe Ghost of the Navigator.

For Battlefield, we've got Aces High, The Trooper and For the Greater Good of God.

For Underworld, we have The Number of the Beast.

For Kingdom of the Sands we have Powerslave and The Nomad.

These two latter songs I don't think they will be played: The Nomad was never played at all, and Powerslave was just played in the previous tour.
Battlefield could start off the set: Aces High as opener, The Trooper second song, and then maybe sneak Death or Glory and Where Eagles Dare before a pause, and For the Greater Good of God can be fifth in the set.

Then I wouldn't know where to start to place the rest of the songs, since they'll have anyway to lead up to the duo Fear of the Dark / Iron Maiden before a three songs encore, and with the Kingdom of the Sands songs being very unlikely (maybe it's the good slot for Alex the Great?)

I wanted to present a setlist based on that but I gave up after five songs  :lol
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Ruba

« Reply #3332 on: April 27, 2018, 09:05:58 PM »
I've had a couple of thoughts... first one relating to the upcoming tour...

The most likely... Legacy of the Beast, how about they play The Legacy? Its' not an absolute fan favourite, but it has the word "Legacy" in the name and it is one of their best post-reunion songs (IMO).

Another one... Bruce mentioned "social media madness"... and this is stuff of wet dreams, but what if they'll play Empire of the Clouds with a backing of a string orchestra... and a couple of songs that could be arranged that way. I'd say Paschendale, Blood Brothers and Sign of the Cross could be played with strings. And I'd love it. Y'know I'd love to think Bruce wants to play his most massive song live (he's not that kind of a dick, but it'd be allowed to be said that could be EOFC is his masterpiece) (and I prefer Darkside of Aquarius or Book of Thel, but it would embrace Bruce's ego to play Empire live). And if they don't play it live, I'd fucking hope for a Bruce solo tour with Tyranny of Souls songs.

But we're talking about the upcoming Maiden tour. There's a small string orchestra and they'll play Empire of the Clouds. Who's with (or against me?) "Social media madness", I'll bet on that, even though I shouldn't. :biggrin:

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3333 on: April 28, 2018, 04:47:23 AM »
They won't play The Legacy (from that album they will play For the Greater Good of God) and they won't play Empire of the Clouds or use an orchestra.

They will somehow manage to change on the fly the stage setup to adapt it to the various worlds of the game, and they will play a couple of rare tracks like possibly Flight of Icarus, and that in their eyes already justifies "social media madness".

"I can't believe they played THAT one" applied also for Powerslave last tour, at least for me. It's not the rarest of tracks, but I never thought they'd play it outside the tour dedicated to the egyptian stage set. Flight of Icarus was never played in the last 30 years or so, that could justify a "wow, didn't see that coming" reaction.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3334 on: May 26, 2018, 12:19:52 PM »
...and so it begins!

If anyone wants to follow the set list, this is the way to go:

https://twitter.com/ironmaiden

I'm determined not to spoil, but we're three songs in and the second one is already a pleasant surprise.  :metal

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3335 on: May 26, 2018, 12:43:23 PM »
I am not a fan of Twitter, I don't have an account, I have never had the slightest desire to follow anyone.

THIS is a great use Twitter.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3336 on: May 26, 2018, 01:53:45 PM »
Thats a great setlist.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3337 on: May 26, 2018, 03:10:37 PM »
AWESOME setlist!!!!!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3338 on: May 26, 2018, 03:13:27 PM »
Song #9 is my favorite song of all time. To say that I'm happy would be an understatement. I'm very much looking forward to June 28th.  :metal

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #3339 on: May 26, 2018, 03:30:58 PM »
Awesome setlist, hope they bring it to the states.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3340 on: May 26, 2018, 05:40:17 PM »

Yea, with 4 songs I've never seen live before, I really want to catch this.  Sucks cause I don't think it'll happen.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3341 on: May 26, 2018, 06:39:31 PM »
Yes please!!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mosh

« Reply #3342 on: May 26, 2018, 11:13:13 PM »

Yea, with 4 songs I've never seen live before, I really want to catch this.  Sucks cause I don't think it'll happen.
I don't see why not. They said the tour is expected to go into 2019. The schedule is just flipped around like TBOS and there's no Ed Force One so they're staying in Europe.

I'm more concerned about the setlist staying the same throughout the tour. Those first two songs have to be brutal for Bruce.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3343 on: May 27, 2018, 06:15:59 AM »
I don't see why not. They said the tour is expected to go into 2019. The schedule is just flipped around like TBOS and there's no Ed Force One so they're staying in Europe.

I'm more concerned about the setlist staying the same throughout the tour. Those first two songs have to be brutal for Bruce.

Right. I expect a US tour on this next summer.

I also hope the setlist stays the same. If it doesn't, I hope they tweak one interesting song for another. No need to drop in Wrathchild!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3344 on: May 27, 2018, 06:58:50 AM »
They did say this would go into 2019? I must have missed that. Kind of thought they'd break and work on a new album after this since they seem inspired.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #3345 on: May 27, 2018, 07:41:35 AM »
Oh my god, that setlist is siiiiiick. :hefdaddy

I gotta find a way to catch one of these shows, because I'm hellbent on making sure I see some of those songs live before the band calls it quits. Did NOT expect them to ever play some of these songs again.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Online Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #3346 on: May 27, 2018, 08:20:07 AM »
Almost a dream setlist for me! Very much looking forward to this now.  :metal

Offline Mosh

« Reply #3347 on: May 27, 2018, 09:39:33 AM »
They did say this would go into 2019? I must have missed that. Kind of thought they'd break and work on a new album after this since they seem inspired.

From the press release:

Following the massively successful global tour of 2016-17 in support of their 16th studio album The Book Of Souls IRON MAIDEN will take to the road again in 2018 with a series of arena and festival shows in Europe on the Legacy Of The Beast World Tour opening in Tallinn, Estonia on May 26 and finishing at the O2 Arena, London on August 10. The full list of dates is below and the tour is expected to continue in 2019.

I'm pretty conflicted about the whole thing. I was bummed out when this tour was announced because that meant no new material for at least another 3 years. I was also expecting a fairly boring set. That being said, now that we know the setlist it would be a shame for this not to hit the states and other parts of the world. Hopefully they will still have time for one more album though.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3348 on: May 27, 2018, 11:08:37 AM »
oh shit, that gives hope.

Also, love the plane prop for Aces High  :metal looks amazing

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3349 on: May 27, 2018, 05:33:10 PM »
Helluva setlist. The only one I haven't seen is FtGGoG, and I haven't heard SotC with Bruce singing.

Also, it wouldn't surprise me if this setlist gets tweaked over the next couple of gigs. And, I'd bet on it being slightly different by the time it gets to the US. Probably a couple of songs they think will go over better on this side of the pond.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3350 on: May 27, 2018, 05:35:16 PM »
Maiden is pretty quick to pull something out of the set if they're not happy with it.

Bart, you miss the BNW tour?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3351 on: May 27, 2018, 05:43:24 PM »
Maiden is pretty quick to pull something out of the set if they're not happy with it.

Bart, you miss the BNW tour?

No, I was there. Just got my time-frame mixed up, so I guess I have seen it.
E.F. Benson

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3352 on: May 28, 2018, 04:04:41 AM »
Helluva setlist. The only one I haven't seen is FtGGoG, and I haven't heard SotC with Bruce singing.

Also, it wouldn't surprise me if this setlist gets tweaked over the next couple of gigs. And, I'd bet on it being slightly different by the time it gets to the US. Probably a couple of songs they think will go over better on this side of the pond.

I hope they don't tweak it by adding Wrathchild. I love the setlist but man...get rid of Fear of the Dark once and for all!!!

Offline Mosh

« Reply #3353 on: May 28, 2018, 09:35:15 AM »
I posted some statistics over at Maidenfans that y'all might find interesting. I know this forum doesn't really have spoiler rules for non-DT tours, but I'll put it in small text anyway:

- A "handful" of post-80s material seems to mean 5 songs, including 3 that hover around the ten minute mark. Pretty close to the amount of new material we get on an album tour.

- The Final Frontier, NOT Somewhere In Time, is truly Maiden's black sheep and rare album. It is the only album to not have any representation in the setlist since the initial album tour. That's five TFF songs compared to only three songs from Somewhere In Time that have not been performed since the SIT tour. It's also one of two albums not to have any songs played live on the subsequent album tour (the other being Dance of Death, which was remedied a few years later on TFF tour). When DoD songs were finally brought back, it had been 6 years since anything from that album was played live. It has now been 7 years since anything from TFF has been played live. If we're lucky, we may see some TFF songs again on its tenth anniversary.

- Piece of Mind may be an "overexposed" album live; however, 50% of the POM songs on this setlist had not been played in over a decade. One of which was retired after just two complete tours in the 80s.

- If a live recording is released, For the Greater Good of God will be the only song that has not been represented on a live album/video before. It'll also be the first time anything from AMOLAD appears on a live album (12 years after release). If a video is released, it'll be the first time Where Eagles Dare has been released on an official video. It'll also be the first time recordings have been released of this lineup performing Flight of Icarus and Where Eagles Dare.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3354 on: May 28, 2018, 10:44:51 AM »
Eh.... Wicker Man. Is there another song with such an awesome intro riff that has an equally lame chorus?

Big fan of Flight of Icarus. Cool to see that. Same with The Clansman. Nothing else totally knocks my knickers off.

- If a live recording is released, For the Greater Good of God will be the only song that has not been represented on a live album/video before. It'll also be the first time anything from AMOLAD appears on a live album (12 years after release).

Somewhere, behind an oversized drum kit in a half-filled venue, Mike Portnoy is crying.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline DTA

« Reply #3355 on: May 28, 2018, 03:42:22 PM »
Ugh, I hate to be such a downer about everything but is anyone underwhelmed by the setlist? FTGGOF and SOTC are excellent additions, but FOI is such a middle of the road song that it's hard to be really excited about it. If they had brought back To Tame A Land, then I'd probably think differently. Aces High and Where Eagles dare are excellent songs, but they still feel a bit too common over the years, not to mention all the "usual suspect" songs that are present every single time. Like is anyone still dying to hear the song Iron Maiden? Not to mention, FOTD has vastly overstayed its welcome (and I honestly think a majority of fans actually agree with this one).

Just seems like a wasted opportunity to really branch out and truly go nuts with the setlist. I'm just not seeing the hype over this group of songs.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3356 on: May 28, 2018, 09:53:24 PM »
Yeah, call me a fanboy, but I'll go see that.    I have no problem with a live Number, Hallowed, or Run.   Sign me up for Sign of the Cross, and my memory of Where Eagles Dare is so strong - I've told it here before, but they opened with that in '83 and Bruce's mike was out and we could STILL hear that fucker screaming over the band; then again I was pretty close and I was on the side not in front of the house sound - that I think this will be good.   Love the pictures of the set, too. 

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3357 on: May 28, 2018, 11:03:25 PM »
Ugh, I hate to be such a downer about everything but is anyone underwhelmed by the setlist? FTGGOF and SOTC are excellent additions, but FOI is such a middle of the road song that it's hard to be really excited about it. If they had brought back To Tame A Land, then I'd probably think differently. Aces High and Where Eagles dare are excellent songs, but they still feel a bit too common over the years, not to mention all the "usual suspect" songs that are present every single time. Like is anyone still dying to hear the song Iron Maiden? Not to mention, FOTD has vastly overstayed its welcome (and I honestly think a majority of fans actually agree with this one).

Just seems like a wasted opportunity to really branch out and truly go nuts with the setlist. I'm just not seeing the hype over this group of songs.

I would NOT say that Where Eagles Dare was “too common over the years” by any stretch.   Should have picked a different song for that argument.   I’m pretty sure that song has hardly ever been played.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3358 on: May 29, 2018, 12:01:58 AM »
According to Setlist.fm, Where Eagles Dare has been played 204 times by Iron Maiden at the time of writing:

1983 - 135
1986 - 25
1993 - 15
2005 - 27
2018 - 2

By comparison, Fear of the Dark has been played 1,012 times since 1992. Blimey.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #3359 on: May 29, 2018, 02:06:17 AM »
Interesting setlist, with some odd choices, some amazing, some a little eye-brow raising. The 2 Blaze-era songs were unexpected, nice to see Hallowed back in there too.
Only downside is the lack of newer material. It's good to hear something from the criminally under-played AMOLAD album, but FTGGOG is hardly the most inspiring tune they could have picked.
On the whole, a great looking show, the spitfire prop looks a bit silly but I imagine it working better in the flesh. The Icarus and Beast-Eddie props look pretty good too. I'm stoked for this show - August can't come soon enuff!

Steve Harris insists on playing Fear of the Dark at every show - he regards it as the quintessential Maiden song, and he's unlikely to drop it anytime soon.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."