Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 557723 times)

El Barto and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline PowerSlave

Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #3255 on: December 23, 2017, 05:05:06 PM »
He'd just blow Gene for being Gene. For Paul it would take a setlist change!!!

Stads does make a good point about them mixing it up from tour to tour. However, some songs have worn out their welcome a little bit. Why not mix it up just a little bit more? I'd consider selling my ass at the local truck stop to see them do Remember Tomorrow and To Tame a Land:biggrin:
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3256 on: December 23, 2017, 06:15:57 PM »
Happy Birthday Dave Murray!!! 61!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #3257 on: December 23, 2017, 07:38:07 PM »
I agree with Stadler for the most part, although I think other bands do a better job at creating well balanced setlists (Dream Theater and Rush immediately come to mind). I think part of the problem is that the way they advertise their tours makes it obvious what the deep cuts will be. Rime of the Ancient Mariner would normally be a huge surprise, but the surprise is dampened by the fact that the tour is advertised as Powerslave revisited. People even complained when Infinite Dreams wasn't present in the Maiden England set, even though there was no guarantee that they were going to play it. With each tour having a specific theme, there is an expectation that certain songs will be played. A "normal" tour wouldn't really be that way.

The promotion for the upcoming tour is a bit more ambiguous, although it seems fairly certain at this point that the big surprises will be For the Greater Good of God and Flight of Icarus. While fans are starting to expect those two cuts, I think they'll still have a slightly greater impact than usual just because the tour isn't obviously focused on a specific era. The extra emphasis on Piece of Mind and Seventh Son in the promotion makes me think we'll finally see Infinite Dreams and either Still Life or To Tame a Land.

But yea, the setlists have a pretty decent balance. Also a band at this stage in their career dedicating almost half the setlist to the new album is unheard of. I thought The Book of Souls was one of their best setlists in a long time. I also enjoy the way they alternate between nostalgia tours and tours focused on recent material.  On Fear of the Dark, it should be retired. The band is obviously on autopilot for that, Number of the Beast, and Iron Maiden. Bruce isn't the only one who spaces out during that portion of the show.

One thing I will say about Kiss is that when they do play deep cuts, they generally dig deeper than Maiden. Granted they have a larger catalog and their songs aren't as technically difficult (vocals notwithstanding), but they've actually gone back and played stuff that has never been performed live before or was never expected to be played live again. Although a lot of the deep cuts tend to be saved for the cruises, but at least you're guaranteed to get some half decent footage if you don't attend.

New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3258 on: December 23, 2017, 07:51:58 PM »
Regarding KISS, the only place you'll see a deep cut is the Kruise. I don't think I've seen one setlist of a proper tour where I thought, oh shit, I can't believe they played that! In fact, I find KISS' setlists extremely lame.

Count me as totally miffed that Infinite Dreams was not played on the Maiden England tour. That just didn't make sense.

My Maiden setlist complaint is that it doesn't seem like things are very thought out, which flies in the face of what we are led to believe. For example, why was Moonchild played on the SBiT tour if they knew there would be a Maiden England tour. Wouldn't it make more sense to play something else from Somewhere In Time?? Like the title track??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mosh

« Reply #3259 on: December 23, 2017, 08:22:09 PM »
Regarding KISS, the only place you'll see a deep cut is the Kruise. I don't think I've seen one setlist of a proper tour where I thought, oh shit, I can't believe they played that! In fact, I find KISS' setlists extremely lame.
What about Flaming Youth a couple years ago? Otherwise yea, the proper tours have really boring setlists for the most part. But the Kruises do at least create an opportunity for those songs to be played. I wouldn't mind seeing Maiden put on one off events for hardcore fans to play rarities.

My Maiden setlist complaint is that it doesn't seem like things are very thought out, which flies in the face of what we are led to believe. For example, why was Moonchild played on the SBiT tour if they knew there would be a Maiden England tour. Wouldn't it make more sense to play something else from Somewhere In Time?? Like the title track??
That one I'll agree on, Moonchild was a bizarre choice. However, I kinda suspect a Somewhere In Time song was rehearsed but it didn't come together. I assume Infinite Dreams was excluded for similar reasons. It does seem like Maiden don't rehearse as much as they could, which leads to a lot of "safe" setlist choices.

I just think Maiden setlists are better than they often get credit for. The only time I was genuinely underwhelmed by a setlist was TFF 2011, but I got to see the 2010 leg so it wasn't a big deal.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3260 on: December 24, 2017, 03:07:17 AM »
I addressed the Fear of the Dark thing because Bruce mentioned it in the interview, but more generally I agree with Stadler, with the rotating tours we get the best of the two worlds. Could be better? yes (Deeper cuts, history tours having more "original" material and obviously not Fear of the Dark). Could be worse? absolutely yes.

Take The Book of Souls' setlist for example. 6 new songs, a relatively rare track (Children), the title track of an album that comes back out of his proper and historical tour (Powerslave), the show not ending with the usual Running / Hills / Sanctuary... that was very bold.

About the Somewhere Back in Time tour - I've read that probably they didn't foresee the huge success of the tour, and that maybe it wasn't so clear at the time (or profitable, to be cynic) that a Maiden England tour would be both requested and successful, and so "just in case" they snuck in the SIT and Seventh Son songs. At least, we got to hear Moonchild played entirely live, intro included, first time it ever happened (and ever will), but three songs out of Seventh Son was overkill.

And Fear of the Dark itself can stay - we've all head it a gazillion times, sure, but it's an absolutely monster of a live song, it's just that they lost a golden opportunity to make the fans miss it and want it more by not retiring it for the history tours. As said earlier, I dare anyone to walk away from having seen THE GODDAMN WORLD SLAVERY TOUR, an historical tour brought back for a younger generation that never got to see the show, the songs and the monumental stage set, by saying "Meh, it's a pity we didn't hear Fear of the Dark".
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3261 on: December 24, 2017, 05:34:05 AM »
Mosh, I think they rehearsed Deja Vu for the Somewhere Back in Time Tour, but ended up not playing it...such a shame!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3262 on: December 24, 2017, 07:31:39 AM »
I've got no issue with FotD being in the setlist.  It's one of their best live songs.  Sure, I'd love another song, but unless you are guaranteeing me it will be a deeper cut replacing it, I'm not sure any of the regular rotation classic songs would be better IMO.  I do agree that it should have been cut for the history tours though.  Had no place in those setlists and other classics would have fit and worked better for those shows.  Plus, like MirrorMask said, I think fans would  have then enjoyed it more on the other tours and maybe the band not felt so burnt out playing it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3263 on: December 24, 2017, 07:56:30 AM »
I've got no issue with FotD being in the setlist.  It's one of their best live songs.  Sure, I'd love another song, but unless you are guaranteeing me it will be a deeper cut replacing it, I'm not sure any of the regular rotation classic songs would be better IMO.

Right, like replacing Hallowed with Wrathchild.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3264 on: December 24, 2017, 10:08:37 AM »
At least with Kiss's deeper cuts, you get the sense that the band has at least a tenuous grasp of what the fans want.  The fans CLAMOR for that shit like "Flaming Youth" and "Goin' Blind" and for the most part, Kiss delivers on that.   

The chances of hearing "Prodigal Son" or "To Tame a Land" are probably less than the chances of me ACTUALLY blowing Paul Stanley, TAC's opinion notwithstanding.   :)   

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3265 on: December 24, 2017, 11:01:43 AM »
I continually check KISS' setlists on Dime hoping to be surprised. I see that they'll rotate an oddball like War Machine here and there, but they generally play too much of the same thing.

Which is my major problem right now with Alice Cooper and UFO. I get that there are 4  or 5 songs played at every show, but it's the same secondary tracks that keep getting recycled.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #3266 on: December 24, 2017, 11:59:06 AM »
About the Somewhere Back in Time tour - I've read that probably they didn't foresee the huge success of the tour, and that maybe it wasn't so clear at the time (or profitable, to be cynic) that a Maiden England tour would be both requested and successful, and so "just in case" they snuck in the SIT and Seventh Son songs. At least, we got to hear Moonchild played entirely live, intro included, first time it ever happened (and ever will), but three songs out of Seventh Son was overkill.
I've read this before and I have a hard time buying it. There is no question that an 80s focused tour like that would be a huge success. Plus with the airplane, documentary crew, and all the other surrounding promotion they had to know it would be successful. Maybe they didn't imagine it being quite as successful as it was, but I can't see there being doubt of another 80s themed tour in the future.

We will get into this more in the discography thread, but I found the SBIT setlist fairly disappointing coming off of The Early Days. Again, maybe it was naivete on my part, but I always assumed a Seventh Son themed tour would follow which made the presence of those Seventh Son tracks fairly underwhelming. Moonchild and Rime were also the only songs that hadn't yet been performed by the lineup, compared to The Early Days tour which featured 6 songs that hadn't been performed by the lineup. The 2009 setlist was slightly better though.

Mosh, I think they rehearsed Deja Vu for the Somewhere Back in Time Tour, but ended up not playing it...such a shame!
I've read this rumor before too and I'm pretty sure it's false. It originated on the old official Maiden forum by someone who claimed to be close to the band. It doesn't really make sense when you think about it logically. If they wanted to play something from Somewhere In Time, there are three other songs to choose from that hadn't been played since the 80s, not to mention trying out Stranger In a Strange Land again. And if they really wanted to try out a song that was never played live, it only makes sense that they'd attempt Alexander the Great. I can't imagine Deja Vu ever being part of the discussion.

At least with Kiss's deeper cuts, you get the sense that the band has at least a tenuous grasp of what the fans want.  The fans CLAMOR for that shit like "Flaming Youth" and "Goin' Blind" and for the most part, Kiss delivers on that.   

The chances of hearing "Prodigal Son" or "To Tame a Land" are probably less than the chances of me ACTUALLY blowing Paul Stanley, TAC's opinion notwithstanding.   :)   
Yea it's a bit of a double edged sword. Kiss doesn't pull out a lot of deep cuts, but when they do it's usually something the fans have been vocal about wanting to hear live. Maiden gives more of their overall discography attention, but they don't go for the ultra deep cuts. Otherwise we would've heard Alexander the Great by now.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3267 on: December 24, 2017, 12:11:41 PM »
Which is my major problem right now with Alice Cooper and UFO. I get that there are 4  or 5 songs played at every show, but it's the same secondary tracks that keep getting recycled.

Alice Cooper for me goes kinda deep. This tour he brought back Pain (from an album no one remembers about) and This World Needs Guts, a song I didn't even remember and I had to go back and check on which album it was.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Mladen

« Reply #3268 on: December 24, 2017, 12:16:11 PM »

Alice Cooper for me goes kinda deep. This tour he brought back Pain (from an album no one remembers about) and This World Needs Guts, a song I didn't even remember and I had to go back and check on which album it was.
I can't describe how thrilled I was to see that.  :metal

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3269 on: December 24, 2017, 12:25:34 PM »
I loved it too, it was even better live than on the album!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3270 on: December 24, 2017, 12:52:14 PM »

Yeah..true. I was so glad he brought back The World Needs Guts (from Constrictor BTW). That is a GREAT song!

And I love Flush The Fashion. Half of it is fantastic.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3272 on: January 19, 2018, 04:16:48 PM »
So I figured I'd show everyone how I put my Eddie's Archive container to use.

I keep all of my old concert pictures in it.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3273 on: January 19, 2018, 05:00:18 PM »
Nice, but wheres the goblet?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3274 on: January 19, 2018, 05:03:28 PM »
The pictures won't fit in it. ;D

I have it. It's in my closet.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #3275 on: January 19, 2018, 07:07:04 PM »
The pictures won't fit in it. ;D

I have it. It's in my closet.

I hear that he goes in there quite often...
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3276 on: January 19, 2018, 11:28:53 PM »
So I figured I'd show everyone how I put my Eddie's Archive container to use.

I keep all of my old concert pictures in it.

Why not keep the whole collection intact?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3277 on: January 20, 2018, 10:26:20 AM »
Well I keep the CDs with all my other CDs. I have the scroll, ring, and goblet around. No big deal. I organized all of my old pics a few months ago and they fit perfectly in my case, which was uselessly sitting in my basement.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3278 on: January 20, 2018, 05:28:52 PM »
I paid around $400 for Eddies Archive lol, which I know is a ridiculous.

I would only admit that to you guys on this forum as you would understand this purchase more than other people I know haha.

It is an fantastic set though!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3279 on: January 20, 2018, 05:36:58 PM »

I would only admit that to you guys on this forum as you would understand this purchase more than other people I know haha.
:rollin

We're here for you, brother.  :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3280 on: January 21, 2018, 06:26:18 AM »
Wow was it at least one of the originals? I paid around 120 for mine.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3281 on: January 21, 2018, 07:21:03 PM »
I paid around $400 for Eddies Archive lol, which I know is a ridiculous.

It is an fantastic set though!

Wow thats a hefty price mate but as Tim said, we got your back mate.  Why so much though?

I got mine as a XMas parents from the folks but it cost $155 I think. Still have it in perfect condition.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3282 on: January 22, 2018, 12:47:07 AM »
I just bought it a few years ago, so long after it was a new release.  Not sure what its going for now, but at the time,  everything I could find on amazon and ebay was the $400- $500 mark.

But I wanted it, so I got it lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3283 on: January 22, 2018, 08:30:21 AM »
Nice, yea I guess I was fortunate to not have to go through a reseller like that on ebay or whatever, and actually found mine in a store in some bizarre luck.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3284 on: January 22, 2018, 08:40:38 AM »
I bought the disks stand alone on eBay.  I missed out on the goblet (is it working?  Can you drink out of it?  Nothing beats a goblet, in my view) but I have the music, and the live set from '82 is ESSENTIAL listening. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3285 on: January 22, 2018, 08:45:00 AM »
Of course you can, we used to take shots out of it in college.  I keep telling my buddy we'll drink out of it again next time he comes over, but I usually forget.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3286 on: January 22, 2018, 09:45:30 AM »
Wow was it at least one of the originals? I paid around 120 for mine.

Well, the original release goes for around £130 to £200 these days, and their availability is good.

$400 sounds like quite a bit for it but the main thing is being happy with it.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3287 on: January 26, 2018, 12:16:16 PM »
Apparently Nicko is opening his own Drumshop in the UK, that's awesome!  :lol

Would be so cool if he had an event or a section in the store displaying all his tour kits through the years, would love to see that. Or just see him play some songs on his World Slavery kit.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #3288 on: January 30, 2018, 02:13:29 PM »
I just watched an acoustic performance of Avenged Sevenfold's Hail to the King, and the chorus melody to that song is identical to Sign of the Cross. I may be a tad late to the party, but I'm not a fan of A7X.

Why'd I watch the video, you ask? Boredom. It's not a bad song though.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3289 on: January 30, 2018, 02:18:08 PM »
I just watched an acoustic performance of Avenged Sevenfold's Hail to the King, and the chorus melody to that song is identical to Sign of the Cross. I may be a tad late to the party, but I'm not a fan of A7X.

Why'd I watch the video, you ask? Boredom. It's not a bad song though.

That acoustic set they did is fantastic if you ask me.  But I also am a big A7X fan.