Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 557775 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #3220 on: November 15, 2017, 03:21:21 PM »
I've seen IM up close many times, but it's only for a few hours.  I can take that.  A few days of being so closely surrounded by people and living in camp sites is more of what makes a festival atmosphere at least sound less fun.  Then again, I haven't experienced it so I'm only going on what I think it would be like.  I'd imagine if I had a big group of friends, it would be fun, but I can't even gather more than 1 friend to attend a local concert so that's just not possible with my circle of friends.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3221 on: November 15, 2017, 03:32:31 PM »
The two times I attended Wacken it was as part of a camp organized on the Blind Guardian forum. That's what made it worthwhile, otherwise being alone on such a massive festival indeed would suck. Having people you know to spend the night with and going together to concerts makes all the difference.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3222 on: November 15, 2017, 03:55:33 PM »
Part of my objection is that I wouldn't want to spend 3 days of my European vacation stuffed into a big festival. I'd rather spend 3 different nights catching good shows with some great stuff in between. Besides, I've kind of been there/done that with these sorts of things. No longer my bag.

However, I've been checking some of them out to see who's there and it looks like Maiden, Priest, Ozzy, GnR, and A7X are your main acts. This means plenty of them, and others, will be doing shows around there in June, on top of the festivals. Makes arranging a vacation easier when you get the added flexibility of more interesting shows. I suspect Saxon will be playing around Europe come festival season, and seeing them over there would make me very happy. APC and Megadeth are also hitting the festivals.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3223 on: November 15, 2017, 05:02:52 PM »
Yea there's definitely nice list of headlining acts touring Europe next summer.  Looks pretty solid. 

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3224 on: November 15, 2017, 05:22:18 PM »
Just going slightly off topic, looking at the prices for the live CD.  Over here in Oz, the double jewel case cd is $20, and the hardcover version is $50.  I can't remember the difference between the two versions of TBOS album, I think it might have been only $10-$15, but a $30 increase just for the packaging is crazy.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3225 on: November 17, 2017, 06:18:42 PM »
Just chiming in to say that The Live Chapter is a great live album.

The Red And The Black  :metal

And even though I've heard The Trooper a million times this version is awesome.

Powerslave fit so well in this set.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3226 on: November 17, 2017, 06:34:18 PM »
Other than Noel Gallagher, I'm not sure I'm awaiting any band live as much as I am seeing Maiden again.  I was really blown away by the show in Brooklyn.  Not that it was the best show ever, but just watching guys that are that good, delivering that kind of energy almost 40 years into their career...   I know that any show with them is money well spent.   

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3227 on: November 17, 2017, 06:46:23 PM »
This truly was an amazing show with an excellent setlist.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3228 on: November 17, 2017, 09:52:46 PM »
Their amazingness and their aging are what make me really anxious to see them again.  I saw DT last night with my best friend and concert buddy (was at IM in Brooklyn with Stadler and Axeman with my buddy too) and we were reminiscing of our awesome concert experiences with IM... being up close so many times, winning first to the barrier, winning heaven can wait, seeing the power go out during powerslave, Bruce stripping during Wasted Years, being yelled at to sit down during AMOLAD... Seeing them again is very high on my list.  :metal

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #3229 on: November 18, 2017, 12:51:41 AM »
being yelled at to sit down during AMOLAD... Seeing them again is very high on my list.  :metal

Someone yelled at you to sit at an IM show? That's crazy.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3230 on: November 18, 2017, 07:43:24 AM »
Yea, I refused to sit but my friend did and it still bothers him to this day, so much so when during a similar situation the other night at DT, he stood the whole 3 hours (as did i) while many people were cursing at us to sit  :lol

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #3231 on: November 18, 2017, 08:30:07 PM »
The only times that I haven't stood up for a concert was when I seen Yes on tour for Talk (it was just that kind of atmosphere), and when I seen DT on tour for Train of Thought. In that situation we were in a seated balcony section, and standing wouldn't have made sense.

You guys had every right to be standing at those shows. If people had a problem with it then they shouldn't have been there in the first place.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3232 on: November 22, 2017, 04:59:06 AM »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #3233 on: November 22, 2017, 08:23:12 AM »
Gotta agree with that review - it's a great live album (of course), but it's far from an essential one.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3234 on: November 22, 2017, 08:31:31 AM »
Gotta agree with that review - it's a great live album (of course), but it's far from an essential one.

Well, depending on how you see it, by now every live album for every tour is both essential and completely useless.

In this day and age you can find "live albums" on YouTube. I miss the days when live albums were landmark achievements, the crowning of a string of successful albums and popularity, and therefore the live album was a statement, something that "only grown up men" could do so to speak. By now the importance of live albums has strongly diminuished.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3235 on: November 22, 2017, 08:34:34 AM »
I consider myself a hardcore IM fan and I have not bought this CD.  I will get it eventually, but I feel like I only just saw the show recently still and don't really have the desire to listen to it at this moment.  I think it's the first time since I've been a fan I didn't buy an IM CD on release.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3236 on: November 22, 2017, 08:47:33 AM »
Yea, I refused to sit but my friend did and it still bothers him to this day, so much so when during a similar situation the other night at DT, he stood the whole 3 hours (as did i) while many people were cursing at us to sit  :lol
Personally, I'm a longtime defender of people's right to stand at a show, even if they annoy the shit out of me. If the people in front of me are standing I stand. If they're sitting I usually sit. I see no reason to be the one to make a thousand people behind me stand if not necessary to see the show. Simply a matter of courtesy. Just like I don't see the need to tell some guy to sit down and not see the show because the person in front of him is blocking his view. If he has to stand then I have to stand.

Folk up North are really weird about that. Woman behind me tells me to sit down when there are four rows of people standing in front of me. "You go start with row A and get all of them to sit down and then you won't have to tell me, dumbass." Struck me as a bunch of people strongly asserting their right to be lazy fucks.

And most of these people don't even remember when we all stood on our seats to watch a show.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3237 on: November 22, 2017, 08:53:10 AM »
Yea, people around here are really lazy and want to just sit back and relax during a concert.  Whatever floats your boat but don't force me to enjoy the show the same way.  I would have rather just sat than be cursed at during the DT show last week, but my friend was refusing and instead of letting him stand alone, I did it with him.  The people directly behind us were fine with it, it was the people behind them that didn't like it.  I did feel bad a bit, but at the end of the day, after the first song was over, no one complained anymore.  And yes, it was literally during the first song people were asking us to sit.  I figured they would wait until the second song at least which is a bit slower tempo.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3238 on: November 22, 2017, 08:56:12 AM »
I bought it since I love The Book of Souls and wanted to have live versions of those songs.  I also did not see the tour, sadly, so it's nice to have something from it. 

I can't stand that Maiden price their live albums at $13-$15 (even the digital downloads are over $13).  This one was $11.49, which was a bit better.  I'd buy them all (I'm missing Death on the Road and En Vivo from new album tours) if they were cheaper.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #3239 on: November 22, 2017, 04:09:48 PM »
I bought the Walmart version for that cheapo little Eddie figure.  :lol
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3240 on: November 22, 2017, 04:41:57 PM »
I picked it up on the weekend but yet to listen to it.  It's far from essential, but it's Maiden.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3241 on: November 22, 2017, 05:02:00 PM »
It's essential. This is a great live album. They picked a rough performance by Bruce for The Great Unknown, but this album is awesome.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3242 on: November 22, 2017, 05:08:06 PM »
Got myself some Trooper Hallowed!!!! Chilling for tonight.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #3243 on: November 23, 2017, 01:43:40 AM »
Is it me or does The Trooper start up slow and Bruce speeds it up via his vocals? 
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3244 on: November 23, 2017, 06:21:00 AM »
Lots of temp changes during the entire album. I think that's why I like it so much. The tunes are living and breathing.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3245 on: November 24, 2017, 05:03:04 AM »
Almost through the first disc.  First thing I notice is that it's very raw and it's interesting so far on some of the picks.  Some sloppy moments but it really adds to the live feel of this record. 

Is it me or does The Trooper start up slow and Bruce speeds it up via his vocals? 

I didn't think that one was that bad, there was a better one earlier, maybe Wrathchild where it changes a bit.  But as Tim said it does add to the rawness of the record.

Another one was TRATB.  One of the verses is just not right.  Everything about this one verse is really off and Bruce I feel on this one is not that great.  I was thinking why they chose this version and then the instrumental section was wickedly performed.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #3246 on: November 24, 2017, 05:08:03 AM »
Thought so, just felt like checking if someone else noticed it. It a nice little live package.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3247 on: November 27, 2017, 08:11:57 AM »
Lots of temp changes during the entire album. I think that's why I like it so much. The tunes are living and breathing.

I LOVE that.  I think that brings a terrific energy to the music. 

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3248 on: November 27, 2017, 09:26:35 AM »
Bought my ticket for the Milan show  :metal 20 years after the first one, it's gonna be concert #13 for me!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3249 on: December 08, 2017, 08:30:28 PM »
https://bravewords.com/reviews/iron-maiden-the-book-of-souls-live-chapter

IRON MAIDEN - The Book Of Souls: Live Chapter
December 8, 2017, 4 hours ago
(BMG)
Mark Gromen
Rating: 7.5
review heavy metal iron maiden

Twin disc compilation of live performances from last year's world tour. In total, recreates the setlist at each concert stop. Since Steve Harris had literally hundreds of shows to choose from, the performances are impeccable. “Children Of The Damned”, from Montreal, is the lone North American inclusion, the rest being big (Wacken) and small (just over 1,100 capacity at Ryōgoku Kokugikan, in Tokyo) stops around the globe. Inside, in addition to a letter from manager Rod Smallwood and a map of their journey, a collage of photos/backstage passes adorns an action shot of each member. However, this really is a celebration of Bruce Dickinson's triumph over throat cancer, a situation that could have easily derailed the singer's career, as well as Maiden itself.
Guess the “complaint” was that this tour was not the definitive set, but rather a promo for Book Of Souls, with no less than a half dozen selections from said disc (at the expense of the vintage catalog) comprising half the concert, in terms of time. The band were also in the midst of yet another lawsuit over the conspicuously absent “Hallowed Be Thy Name”. That said, wouldn't mind hearing a couple of Soul-ful tracks, moving forward, including the urgency of “Speed Of Light”, married to similarly rambunctious “Wratchchild” on this tracklisting. Noticed at the time, and repeated here, the show alternates between a pair of newbies, then two oldies, until the encore, which paradoxically includes “Blood Brothers”, never a definitive Maiden track, but I assume (given the significance of Bruce's return), it means more to the band than ever (also from their reunion Brave New World CD, Dickinson's first return to the fold).
The singer speaks French to the Montreal audience, who respond in kind, adding their collective voice to the chorus. “The Red And The Black” (not the ‘70s Blue Oyster Cult gem) is an extended guitar jam, with plenty of “whoa whoa” augmentation from the Japanese crowd. At 13:17 it's the live album's lengthiest option and actually a few seconds shorter than its studio counterpart. “The Trooper” and “Powerslave”, back-to-back, closes the initial disc in fine form, although all the visual imagery of the concert (changing backdrops, digital animation, Eddie, etc) are lost. The trio of material that begins the second disc (“The Great Unknown” and “The Book Of Souls”, in particular, alongside “Fear Of The Dark”) really drags. Opening with the second “Scream for me...” heard throughout, their lively signature track corrects things, but only after 25 minutes has elapsed. The Argentine crowd singing the guitar harmonies, as well as the entirety of the lyrics! Wacken crowd sounds surprised to hear the booming voiceover to introduce “The Number Of The Beast”, but the huge throng quickly throws their vocal weight behind it. Not before another “Scream for me...”, “Wasted Years” sends everyone home, if not (completely) happy) at least on a high note.
So if history is any indication, the next Iron Maiden tour should be another “greatest hits” resurrection. Hope so.

What a pussy!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3250 on: December 22, 2017, 03:43:12 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RwCDbRTNeI

20 minutes interview with Bruce about some experiences with Maiden, as mentioned in the book!

He recalls among other things joining the band and what a fun experience was recording The Number of the Beast, the time he thought about quitting music, how he tries to get more (as personal experience) out of a long line of shows than just "Whee, more money", and the Rock in Rio experiences, both in 1985 and 2001.

Most telling is how he talks about Fear of the Dark - he doesn't really says it, but he implies he's fed up with the song, and that playing the same song too much and too often can make it very difficult to find something to make it ring. He says something across the lines of "Maybe next tour I have to sing it seriously", 'cause by the song he's already thinking of the encore.

Personally I'm in his same boat - I look forward to the song only to hear whatever variation of the city / nation / just "you!" he comes up with whenever he lets the audience sing at the end of the slow part, then it's just looking forward to Iron Maiden to see Eddie. Why oh why they didn't drop the song for the history tours, what possessed them to think "Ok, we're giving the fans the time of their lives bringing back the Powerslave and Seventh Son stage set and epic tracks, but they're gonna be so pissed if we don't sneak Fear of the Dark back in"???

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3251 on: December 22, 2017, 04:54:24 PM »
Most telling is how he talks about Fear of the Dark - he doesn't really says it, but he implies he's fed up with the song, and that playing the same song too much and too often can make it very difficult to find something to make it ring. He says something across the lines of "Maybe next tour I have to sing it seriously", 'cause by the song he's already thinking of the encore.

Yeah, that was interesting.

As for the book, I still haven't finished it. I actually lost interest. :(

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3252 on: December 23, 2017, 09:14:56 AM »
Fear of the dark needs to go.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3253 on: December 23, 2017, 03:26:03 PM »
That book was excellent, but it was very much "Bruce" in that it was very read between the lines.  He's a smart, sly fucker, he, and that comes through in the book.

As for the setlists; I do NOT get the criticism for Maiden.   Of virtually any band you can name, they do the mix better than you can ask for.   They have tour legs where you can hear the new material - if you're tired of the same old hits - and they have tour legs where you can hear the hits - if you're not into the new one.    How can you ask for more than that?   And with the interwebs, there are no surprises; they announce what the tour is like and you can get the setlists.   So it's on you if you're "disappointed".  I would blow Paul Stanley if it meant that Kiss did the same thing:  one tour leg is the "Originals".  One tour leg is the Vinnie/Eric years.  One tour leg is the Bruce years.  One tour leg is the new stuff (I actually like the two new albums very much, and would LOVE to see some of those songs live).   

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3254 on: December 23, 2017, 04:13:44 PM »
That book was excellent, but it was very much "Bruce" in that it was very read between the lines.  He's a smart, sly fucker, he, and that comes through in the book.

I don't know. He comes across as very proud of himself, every time he tries to make a joke.

I would blow Paul Stanley if it meant that Kiss did the same thing:   

Who you kidding... ;D