Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 558046 times)

ErHaO, TheSpectreWithin and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline PowerSlave

Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #3045 on: August 22, 2017, 07:00:30 PM »
I don't think he recorded an album, just wrote and demoed some stuff.

I could have sworn that Roy posted something on social media a couple of years ago about having something in the can. I may have misunderstood it, though.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #3046 on: August 22, 2017, 07:14:07 PM »
Dunno if it was the same thing, but I remember him just saying he was working with Bruce. He also mostly posts in Spanish on facebook so there could've been a mistranslation too.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3047 on: August 22, 2017, 07:18:06 PM »
We need Rodrigo to get to the bottom of this!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3048 on: August 22, 2017, 08:55:14 PM »
My mother language is Portugue, but I learned Spanish too. Where are the links?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3049 on: August 23, 2017, 07:08:53 AM »
I don't think he recorded an album, just wrote and demoed some stuff.

I could have sworn that Roy posted something on social media a couple of years ago about having something in the can. I may have misunderstood it, though.

I don't think you're wrong, but I think some of those ideas went onto Book of Souls, because I remember a quote from him (Roy) being a little disappointed that he didn't get credit where credit was due.   Doesn't mean there isn't other stuff still there, but, I don't get any impression that there is an album waiting for release at this point.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #3050 on: August 23, 2017, 07:25:08 AM »
If Eternity Should Fail was meant to be a Bruce solo song. There was another Steve  wanted to use called Nightmares but Roy Z helped write it and Steve has a no outside writers rule.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #3051 on: August 23, 2017, 07:26:39 AM »
https://loudwire.com/iron-maiden-bruce-dickinson-the-book-of-souls-18-minute-opus-empire-of-the-clouds/

Bruce reveals that the new album’s opening track, “If Eternity Should Fail,” was originally meant to be featured on his next solo album, but got turned into an Iron Maiden song instead.

edit: Mosh beat me to it, but at least I provided a link  :biggrin:
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #3052 on: August 23, 2017, 10:18:27 AM »
Yeah, the more that I think about it it's this stuff that I'm probably thinking about. It's a shame, though. Bruce's solo work with Roy is some of my favorite material of all time. Those two have something very special when they work together.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3053 on: August 23, 2017, 10:22:07 AM »
Yeah, the more that I think about it it's this stuff that I'm probably thinking about. It's a shame, though. Bruce's solo work with Roy is some of my favorite material of all time. Those two have something very special when they work together.

I definitely recall rumors of much more Bruce/Roy material they worked on that IM was holding back from being released, but as far as I remember, those were just rumors. 

Offline Mosh

« Reply #3054 on: August 23, 2017, 11:08:23 AM »
I think Bruce still intends on using If Eternity Should Fail which should be interesting.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3055 on: August 24, 2017, 03:01:58 AM »
I think Bruce still intends on using If Eternity Should Fail which should be interesting.

Absolutely. I hope he does another solo album and that he still uses the song, maybe changing it up a little bit to suit more Roy Z's style.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3056 on: August 24, 2017, 03:52:08 AM »
Speaking of Bruce solo versus Maiden´s material, he has his own Wicker Man song, although his version has nothing to do with Maiden´s, only the title is the same. They´re both good songs, but Bruce´s is AMAZING! Comparing the two is as if Bruce based his version on the original film, whereas Maiden based theirs on the horrible Nick Cage remake.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #3057 on: August 24, 2017, 03:56:26 AM »
Speaking of Bruce solo versus Maiden´s material, he has his own Wicker Man song, although his version has nothing to do with Maiden´s, only the title is the same. They´re both good songs, but Bruce´s is AMAZING! Comparing the two is as if Bruce based his version on the original film, whereas Maiden based theirs on the horrible Nick Cage remake.

Edit: first link didn't work, but you immediately made me think of: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-1GadTfGFvU

:lol
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 09:49:42 AM by Logain Ablar »

Offline Mosh

« Reply #3058 on: August 24, 2017, 08:43:59 AM »
Wicker Man
Man Of Sorrows
The Alchemist
Speed of Light

All song titles that were previously used in solo albums (although Blaze wasn't involved with the Maiden version).

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3059 on: August 24, 2017, 08:28:17 PM »
So the discography thread had me listening to a ton of Blaze lately - I stopped following him after the first live album, but I've always loved Silicon Messiah and As Live as it Gets.   Watched some of his last DVD (The Night that Would Not Die) and was blown away by how heavy some of his solo albums have been since then.   I just bought The Man That Would Not Die, since that album was the tour where he recorded the dvd and featured some of these songs.

This is insane.  Super heavy, fast, almost thrashy, but still with a little Maiden-esque sound.  He's kicking total ass.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3060 on: August 24, 2017, 08:32:42 PM »
Grapp, Promise And Terror is where it's at.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3061 on: August 25, 2017, 12:15:01 AM »
Definitely my favorite of the bunch.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3062 on: August 26, 2017, 03:55:15 AM »
Silicon Messiah is wonderful, a couple of songs are better than those on X Factor or Virtual XI.

Tenth Dimension is equally great, Blood and Belief is very dark and brooding and may be off putting but it has quite some good songs, and also The Man who Would Not Die is great. Title track is awesome and also Smile Back at Death rules.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3063 on: August 27, 2017, 04:32:03 AM »

Spun this one the other day, as I know you guys rate it but it never really grabbed me like some of the others.  I liked it a lot more though, some really fucking heavy parts and such a dark somber mood.  Good stuff.  I still like The Man Who Would Not Die more though I think.  That's one cracking record.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #3064 on: August 27, 2017, 09:23:42 AM »

Spun this one the other day, as I know you guys rate it but it never really grabbed me like some of the others.  I liked it a lot more though, some really fucking heavy parts and such a dark somber mood.  Good stuff.  I still like The Man Who Would Not Die more though I think.  That's one cracking record.

Has anyone else listened to Blaze's two most recent solo albums? The Infinite Entanglement albums? I'm not sure where I'd rank them both in the grand scheme of his solo work, but they're both pretty awesome. "Together We Could Move The Sun" is an especially awesome song.

Off-hand, I'd probably say my favorite solo album from Blaze is either Promise & Terror or Silicon Messiah, but it's been awhile since I went through his discography as a whole. :metal
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3065 on: August 27, 2017, 02:23:49 PM »
Has anyone else listened to Blaze's two most recent solo albums? The Infinite Entanglement albums?
I have. Part one is really good, part two is solid.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3066 on: August 27, 2017, 04:52:01 PM »
Endure And Survive is amazing!!

"Together We Could Move The Sun" is an especially awesome song.

Yes it is!!!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3067 on: August 27, 2017, 07:18:20 PM »
Endure and Survive is definitely better than than one before it.  The production on Infinite Entanglement really hurts it IMO.

I like them but I miss the heavier style Blaze was doing before it.  King of Metal was pretty ordinary though.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3068 on: September 01, 2017, 02:07:49 PM »
Bruce will do a short UK tour to promote his biography:

https://ironmaiden.com/news/article/bruce-s-uk-book-tour

"Tickets cost £30 - includes a pre-signed hardback copy of What Does This Button Do? and a Trooper beer (or a soft drink)."

You get the book and a beer, and you get to hear the man talking - I'm obviously biased 'cause I idolize and worship the man, but I think it's worth it, I'll gladly pay the equivalent if he hopefully comes down in Italy.

Sadly I assume that the pre-signed copy will be a standard, which means he won't be doing the autographs "live", and so I won't have a chance to be face to face with him, damn.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3069 on: September 01, 2017, 02:54:51 PM »

"Tickets cost £30 - includes a pre-signed hardback copy of What Does This Button Do? and a Trooper beer (or a soft drink)."

You get the book and a beer, and you get to hear the man talking - I'm obviously biased 'cause I idolize and worship the man, but I think it's worth it, I'll gladly pay the equivalent if he hopefully comes down in Italy.

Sadly I assume that the pre-signed copy will be a standard, which means he won't be doing the autographs "live", and so I won't have a chance to be face to face with him, damn.

Great deal if you ask me, I'd totally go if he came near me.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3070 on: September 01, 2017, 06:14:41 PM »

I would be all over that.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3071 on: September 01, 2017, 06:16:02 PM »
Totally.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3072 on: September 11, 2017, 03:01:52 AM »
An italian news site, while clearly stating they're just rumors, suggests an european only tour in the summer, and the focus may be once again the reunion era.

I hope that is true, it's quite likely Maiden will tour again next year, but I missed the pre-Final Frontier tour and seeing a reunion heavy set would be awesome for me.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3073 on: September 11, 2017, 04:16:46 AM »
A European summer tour focused on reunion stuff would be marvelous.  :heart

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3074 on: September 11, 2017, 04:29:38 AM »
European summer tour is most likely. It's the "reunion era" thing that I see addressed for the first time, supposedly there's a more traditional set to be built around the Legacy of the Beast thing, but in insight, it's not such a far fetched idea, after a tour of new album songs + classics + one song off the other post-2000 albums, to go heavy on the reunion era material in order to have the tour for the next album (that they all feel like doing, and that might be their last), being once again a new songs + classics combination.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #3075 on: September 20, 2017, 07:59:12 AM »
New live album!  Speed of Light live video!

https://bravewords.com/news/iron-maiden-to-release-new-live-album-the-book-of-souls-live-chapter-speed-of-light-official-live-video-streaming

Warner Music will release Iron Maiden’s The Book Of Souls: Live Chapter on November 17th worldwide (through BMG in the US). This live recording comprises 15 songs captured during The Book Of Souls World Tour, which covered 39 countries across six continents during 2016 and 2017, and was seen by over two million fans. The Book Of Souls: Live Chapter will be released physically in CD, deluxe CD & vinyl audio formats, with the concert film available to stream free online or as a digital download - full details below.

Produced by Tony Newton and Iron Maiden founder member and bass player Steve Harris, the album is based on this year’s set list and is a faithful record of the epic show, including six songs from The Book Of Souls, the band's most recent studio album, along with many other classics and fan favourites.

Steve comments, "We spent a huge amount of time working on this as I wanted to get it as close to the Maiden live experience as I possibly could and to represent our fans from different parts of the world. This meant listening to literally hours upon hours of tapes from every show, to select material and construct a sound that would run consistently across the whole album and capture the excitement of a new country like El Salvador alongside such regular favourites as Donington or Wacken.”

Maiden manager Rod Smallwood adds, "The Book Of Souls World Tour was a huge undertaking, not least for Bruce who started the tour singing in public for the very first time since recovering from throat cancer. He also piloted Ed-Force One, upgraded last year from a Boeing 757 to a 747 so we could go further and faster to visit some fantastic cities and fans all round the world. This year continued that excitement bringing us our most successful North American and UK tours ever. It was a very special tour in a great many ways so we felt we wanted to document it for both ourselves and for our fans. Steve has done an incredible job putting together this set from cities around the world and we’ve made sure the deluxe CD will be available in a matching book format to ‘The Book of Souls’ release.

"On top of all that the release will be celebrated by an event that is a Maiden first: a free live streaming premiere of the concert film, as a thank you to our loyal fans around the world. We hope that the global Maiden community will all enjoy coming together to watch this special event online. Many of you will be in it as there is footage from a whole host of the places we played on this momentous tour. ”

The full tracklisting and the cities they were recorded in, is as follows:

“If Eternity Should Fail” - Sydney, Australia
“Speed Of Light” - Cape Town, South Africa
“Wrathchild” - Dublin, Ireland
“Children Of The Damned” - Montreal, Canada
“Death Or Glory” - Wroclaw, Poland
“The Red And The Black” - Tokyo, Japan
“The Trooper” - San Salvador, El Salvador
“Powerslave” - Trieste, Italy
“The Great Unknown” - Newcastle, UK
“The Book Of Souls” - Donington, UK
“Fear Of The Dark” - Fortaleza, Brazil
“Iron Maiden” - Buenos Aires, Argentina
“Number Of The Beast” - Wacken, Germany
“Blood Brothers” - Donington, UK
“Wasted Years” - Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Downside - no physical release of DVD/Blu-Ray concert film.   :tdwn

Offline PepeLePew

« Reply #3076 on: September 20, 2017, 08:11:54 AM »
Stoked for this release!!! Not getting a Blu-Ray is a little bummer, though. Still like to get physical copies...

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3077 on: September 20, 2017, 08:25:26 AM »
Will watch the stream probably, a live CD seems redundant but it will be cool to have some live versions of these songs.

I find it weird too that for such a spectacular visual show, they went for the audio part of it.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #3078 on: September 20, 2017, 08:30:10 AM »
Will watch the stream probably, a live CD seems redundant but it will be cool to have some live versions of these songs.

I find it weird too that for such a spectacular visual show, they went for the audio part of it.

Only for a physical release - they still put together the video for a live stream event.  Maybe even the great Iron Maiden feels the burden of Youtube cutting into video sales. 

I'd imagine that the live stream will end up on youtube as well, so fans will get to see it.  We just don't get to own it.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3079 on: September 20, 2017, 08:32:43 AM »
Well, to be fair, why should I buy "Iron Maiden - Live in Wacken 2016" when I can watch it on YouTube?