Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 565071 times)

Offline PowerSlave

Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #2660 on: May 14, 2017, 11:58:56 AM »
That song (musically) sounds like a rip-off of Welcome to My Nightmare from Alice Cooper. I'm not sure what year it came out, so it might have come out before the AC song.

Apparently it was released in 1974.

https://www.discogs.com/Beckett-Beckett/release/1323464

WtMN came out in '75, so it pre-dates that, then. That's the only thing that it sounds similar to to me. Other than the song key, I'm not hearing anything that reminds me of Hallowed.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2661 on: May 14, 2017, 12:04:53 PM »
That song (musically) sounds like a rip-off of Welcome to My Nightmare from Alice Cooper. I'm not sure what year it came out, so it might have come out before the AC song.

Not really catching the Alice comparison, although some of the instrumentation sounds a little similar, but not the song. I actually think of the verses to Peruvian Skies.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2662 on: May 15, 2017, 12:20:03 AM »

Apparently it was released in 1974.

https://www.discogs.com/Beckett-Beckett/release/1323464

WtMN came out in '75, so it pre-dates that, then. That's the only thing that it sounds similar to to me. Other than the song key, I'm not hearing anything that reminds me of Hallowed.

Some of the words appear to have been directly lifted.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #2663 on: May 15, 2017, 07:51:59 AM »
I can see Maiden having "stolen" the concept.  And there's the run of about 5 lines of lyrics which are distinctly similar.  Overall, though, it's not the same song at all.  There's a long discussion here :

https://forum.maidenfans.com/threads/the-beckett-connection.19282/

including a former Beckett member saying "I love what they have done with all our material"  :rollin

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #2664 on: May 15, 2017, 08:42:35 AM »
https://forum.maidenfans.com/threads/the-beckett-connection.19282/

I read a bit of that thread earlier this morning - interesting stuff..

Another article about it here: https://www.metaltalk.net/news_seventeen/iron_maiden_advised_to_settle_out_of_court.php

There's no denying the similarities in the lyrics, but why wait all this time to come forward?

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2665 on: May 15, 2017, 09:02:14 AM »
There's no denying the similarities in the lyrics, but why wait all this time to come forward?

The link from maidenfans.com had someone summarize the new lawsuit as follows:   

Maiden settled with one of the Beckett dudes a number of years ago.  That guy lied to another person from Beckett about the settlement.  Now that guy found out that he was lied to and he's going after Maiden for his piece of the pie in the new lawsuit.

Settling with the second guy would be the quickest way out, but I'd hope/wish that they could say "hey, we already settled this once, and it's not our problem if these two guys can't be honest and sort it out with each other."  Sadly, the world doesn't work that way and Maiden will probably have to pony up again.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2666 on: May 15, 2017, 10:10:10 AM »

The link from maidenfans.com had someone summarize the new lawsuit as follows:   

Maiden settled with one of the Beckett dudes a number of years ago.  That guy lied to another person from Beckett about the settlement.  Now that guy found out that he was lied to and he's going after Maiden for his piece of the pie in the new lawsuit.

Settling with the second guy would be the quickest way out, but I'd hope/wish that they could say "hey, we already settled this once, and it's not our problem if these two guys can't be honest and sort it out with each other."  Sadly, the world doesn't work that way and Maiden will probably have to pony up again.

Froem what I read, it's slightly different than that.   Two guys from Beckett wrote the song.  One guy - the lyricist - settled with Harris.  The guy suing Maiden allegedly (he hasn't proved it yet) bought the interest of the other guy, who, prior to the sale, renegotiated his share from the first guy.  The guy suing Maiden is saying that the interest he bought rights to is now covered - in part - by the so-called "settlement", but he's claiming it wasn't settled.  That's how I understand it.

By the way, Maiden covered another Beckett song - Rainbow's Gold - as a b-side to... I think it was Two Minutes To Midnight. In case anyone cares, the singer for Beckett (what a dumb name for a band) was the guy that took over for Brian Johnson in Georgie when Brian made the disasterous decision to jump from Geordie down to AC/DC. 

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2667 on: May 27, 2017, 04:58:05 AM »
Stumbled upon this orchestral medley:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FS6a0NWI0do

It has Fear of the Dark, 666 and Run to the Hills.

It's all nice and cool, but Fear of the Dark is far more effective than the other two songs. Should ever Maiden do an orchestral concert, they should focus on songs from the reunion era which can be translated better into an orchestral setting, rather than just playing 23:58 and The Trooper the same way they are, but with violins doubling the guitar tracks.

Or they could rearrange the faster songs and translate them into more orchestra-ish pieces, like DT did with Gangland when they completely rearranged the song. Well, I don't particulary like Gangland nor the jazz version of DT, but it was just an example of how a song can be taken and rearranged into something else.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2668 on: June 03, 2017, 08:34:37 PM »
Just want to say that the No Prayer For The Dying title track is fantastic, and it's a shame that it's never been featured on any subsequent tours.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2669 on: June 04, 2017, 04:57:35 AM »
Just want to say that the No Prayer For The Dying title track is fantastic, and it's a shame that it's never been featured on any subsequent tours.

One of the most underrated Maiden songs of all time.  Would make my top 20, maybe 15.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2670 on: June 04, 2017, 05:32:01 AM »
I see them for the first time tonight  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2671 on: June 04, 2017, 05:41:18 AM »

You're in for a hell of an experience mate, enjoy it.  :metal
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2672 on: June 04, 2017, 06:59:05 AM »

One of the most underrated Maiden songs of all time.  Would make my top 20, maybe 15.

Right where I'd put it too.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2673 on: June 04, 2017, 07:49:58 AM »

You're in for a hell of an experience mate, enjoy it.  :metal

Nice!  :metal :metal WEDnesday for me!  First of three times this summer.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2674 on: June 04, 2017, 07:58:56 AM »
You suck!  ;D

Got 6 weeks to wait for Mansfield.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2675 on: June 04, 2017, 11:35:31 AM »
Saw this on Maidenfans:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL5wD2Q0Z1A&t

It Bruce and Nicko telling the story of Empire Of The Clouds.

Nicko.."But you can't play the piano!"  :lol

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2676 on: June 04, 2017, 12:33:45 PM »
Interesting insight!

This song is really full of Bruce's passion for flight and all of his compositional and singing skills.

I thank Ronnie James (Dio, which means god in italian), the gods of heavy metal, his doctors and his cleverness in doing frequent check-ups that his health is back to normal, but if anything had gone wrong, what a swan song to leave behind.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2677 on: June 04, 2017, 09:30:22 PM »
Just got back from the show

Bruce is god. For someone who is almost 60, I am shocked beyond words how amazing of a frontman he is. He is the epitome of frontman as far as I am concerned.

They all were incredible. That will go down as one of my favorite shows ever.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2678 on: June 06, 2017, 09:25:33 AM »
 :metal :metal :metal

Posted this in the concerts thread but I am so frickin pumped, I logged into my IM fan club account and found an email...

Congratulations - you are going to be 'First To The Barrier' in Newark!

I am so excited!  I wont Heaven Can Wait before and now this... the only fan club I've ever joined and it's totally been worth it every time I renew.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2679 on: June 06, 2017, 09:33:25 AM »
So cool Cram! :metal

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2680 on: June 06, 2017, 10:24:47 AM »
Epic :metal
Photobucket sucks.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2681 on: June 06, 2017, 01:05:17 PM »
Seeing Iron Maiden from the front row must be something that trascend human comprehension until you live it  :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2682 on: June 06, 2017, 01:06:01 PM »
It IS!!!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2683 on: June 06, 2017, 01:22:07 PM »
Yea, I've been up front a few times, but never been able to get in front of the people who won the FTTB contest.  I ended up just taking tomorrow off (already had Thursday off and I go on vacation next week) which will make it easier to get there on time.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2684 on: June 06, 2017, 01:32:23 PM »
Cram, you are THE MAN! :metal

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2685 on: June 06, 2017, 01:34:58 PM »
Seeing Iron Maiden from the front row must be something that trascend human comprehension until you live it  :metal

I was able to do it once, on the Somewhere Back in Time tour, and we got right in front of Adrian and it was amazing. Caught a Harris wristband that day as well.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2686 on: June 06, 2017, 07:08:13 PM »
The Book Of Souls from Philadelphia:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MbBopUzw1c

:hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2687 on: June 06, 2017, 08:16:31 PM »
Im so excited.  Just watched this https://youtu.be/-Hk76D_ExuA?t=1h18m9s the moment I got on stage with them (Im one of the first people who run on immediately to the left of Steve) but then the guy slaps Bruce's ass and it pans the the left and we see their wives dancing with them.  Such an awesome memory.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2688 on: June 06, 2017, 10:29:37 PM »
That will be very cool Cram!!

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #2689 on: June 07, 2017, 02:09:46 AM »
The Book Of Souls from Philadelphia:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MbBopUzw1c

:hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Great quality video. Then I made the mistake of reading some of the comments. Predictably, some "old school" fan complaining about too much new material. Sigh..

I personally thought there was a great balance on this set list.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2690 on: June 07, 2017, 02:21:00 AM »
Im so excited.  Just watched this https://youtu.be/-Hk76D_ExuA?t=1h18m9s the moment I got on stage with them (Im one of the first people who run on immediately to the left of Steve) but then the guy slaps Bruce's ass and it pans the the left and we see their wives dancing with them.  Such an awesome memory.
That was amazing.  :metal

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2692 on: June 07, 2017, 05:33:56 AM »
I'm pretty sure that when Nicko decides to leave it's the end for Maiden, what I mean is that they probably already decided that they all end it together.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2693 on: June 07, 2017, 05:39:26 AM »
I'm pretty sure that when Nicko decides to leave it's the end for Maiden, what I mean is that they probably already decided that they all end it together.

I'd like to see it go down that way. But I'm not so sure if the "cynical" side of them would prevail in a scenario where Nicko, freely and of his own will, says "guys, I can't do it anymore, I'm out, you do what you feel is right to do" and they continue, with the other 5 guys and someone you can't see anyway behind the kit.

They've been the best at many things, I hope they'll be the best also at retiring. All of them six together, this is the final album, this is the final tour, this is the final show, thank you and bye bye. No prolonged tours, no Bruce / Steve / H and some session players, no greatest hits tour after the goodbye tour etc.... I want them to go on until they can, and when they say it's over, that it's all really over.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2694 on: June 07, 2017, 06:13:12 AM »
:iagree:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion