Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 557629 times)

fadetoblackdude7 and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
Re: Iron Maiden--The Book of Souls: ALL album-related discussion goes here--SPOILERS
« Reply #1155 on: September 05, 2015, 12:32:08 PM »
The first one is amazing.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Iron Maiden--The Book of Souls: ALL album-related discussion goes here--SPOILERS
« Reply #1156 on: September 05, 2015, 12:34:36 PM »
Wow, great job!
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1157 on: September 05, 2015, 01:45:27 PM »
Those album arts are awesome. I've been using the this one:

But I might actually use one of yours as they are very sweet. The plain black back ground does nothing for me.

but despite anything, the music is excellent  :metal
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 02:17:40 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1158 on: September 05, 2015, 01:49:05 PM »
All those covers are great!!

Loving this album big time.

If Eternity Should Fail just might be my favorite track right now from the disc.

Offline 425

And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1160 on: September 05, 2015, 01:51:57 PM »
As some of you may or may not know, I only just got into IM about 3 weeks ago. I bought the first 7 albums and love all of them to death. I intend on listening to the whole discography in order. However, I just bought TBoS solely because I wanted to experience a new release with everyone else.

I just finished my first listen, and what an album! The title track is one of the best things I've heard from them yet! If Eternity Should Fail and Empire of the Clouds are amazing as well, but this one requires multiple listens for sure! Cheers everybody!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1161 on: September 05, 2015, 01:53:55 PM »
There is a lot to digest on this one

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1162 on: September 05, 2015, 02:17:37 PM »
I'm glad everyone is liking IESF. Other than the beginning, I personally feel it's one of the weaker tracks.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The Iron Maiden thread for discussion NOT relating to The Book of Souls
« Reply #1163 on: September 05, 2015, 02:20:49 PM »
An interesting take on the IM catalogue
https://www.angrymetalguy.com/iron-maiden-from-worst-to-best-15-13/
I'll read it in full when I get home, but he's got a pretty good write up for FOTD.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1164 on: September 05, 2015, 02:33:40 PM »
I'm with you TAC. It is good but not among my favourites.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1165 on: September 05, 2015, 02:52:53 PM »
The bottom two are the only acceptable bottom two. Although I would reverse the order.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #1166 on: September 05, 2015, 03:14:32 PM »
Not sure how stuff would rank, but at the moment, my Top 3 are Empire of the Clouds (clear first!), The Book of Souls and The Man of Sorrows.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Online Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #1167 on: September 05, 2015, 03:16:30 PM »
Not sure how stuff would rank, but at the moment, my Top 3 are Empire of the Clouds (clear first!), The Book of Souls and The Man of Sorrows.

I pretty much agree. I'm also really fond of If Eternity Should Fail though. :metal
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1168 on: September 05, 2015, 04:02:49 PM »
I only had time to listen to the first five tracks last week. And then I thought I'd wait for the official release. Amazon screwed up and didn't deliver yesterday but the vinyl and CD both arrived today. As I type, I am finally listening to Empire of the Clouds for the first time (I've just listened to the other five tracks for the first time - Book of Souls was a little disappointing at first blush) - at six minutes down, this is marvellous. My goodness. Maiden breaking new ground after all this time. Wonderful.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1169 on: September 05, 2015, 04:21:41 PM »

"#13 The Final Frontier"

Lol no

Why "lol no"? It's one person's opinion.

A Matter of Life and Death would probably be bottom of the rankings for me but I wouldn't 'lol no' at anyone choosing to put it first.
Paul
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1170 on: September 05, 2015, 05:04:57 PM »
A Matter of Life and Death would probably be bottom of the rankings for me

lol no  ;D

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1171 on: September 05, 2015, 05:10:06 PM »

lol no  ;D

Laugh it up, fuzzball  ;D

I think people forget all these rankings are objective; nothing more, nothing less.
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1172 on: September 05, 2015, 05:27:05 PM »
So in the months prior to the Book of Souls I've been listening to some of Maiden United's acoustic covers. And while I wasn't overly fond of their first two albums, I think their new one, Remembrance (2015), is pretty great. This time, there also are more vocalists and instrumentalists involved, making quite a notable difference.

Some of the new covers:

Aces High https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-UfaF23UlE Love the build up and vocal harmonies here.
Futureal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VLTptHT9nw Interesting cover, with Blaze Bayley himself singing the song.
Still Life (2015 version):https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWL8xtpSM8c Much better than their previous cover of this song.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1173 on: September 05, 2015, 05:32:26 PM »

lol no  ;D

Laugh it up, fuzzball  ;D

I think people forget all these rankings are objective; nothing more, nothing less.

It's really a testament to how strong their entire discography really is.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1174 on: September 05, 2015, 05:45:28 PM »
First impression is good! Hearing some fresh elements here as well, which is great. I think the two disc format works well in this case. Not many moments that dragged or repeated too much on first listen, which is something their last few albums' epics tend to do at times.

Offline 425

« Reply #1175 on: September 05, 2015, 07:22:11 PM »

"#13 The Final Frontier"

Lol no

Why "lol no"? It's one person's opinion.

A Matter of Life and Death would probably be bottom of the rankings for me but I wouldn't 'lol no' at anyone choosing to put it first.

That was my shorthand at "wow, this person doesn't like my favorite Maiden album? I stringently disagree and given my own experience with that album I find it very hard to believe that someone would rate it that low!"

But seriously, TFF and AMOLAD not in the top 5? lol no.
And if spirit's a sign,

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1176 on: September 05, 2015, 11:01:06 PM »
TFF is in my bottom half while AMOLAD is #1

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1177 on: September 05, 2015, 11:12:23 PM »
Anyone see the mention of the Maiden-brand headphones in the liner notes?  Ed-Phones. lol. SIGN ME UP

Offline 425

« Reply #1178 on: September 05, 2015, 11:41:41 PM »
You get a pass for putting AMOLAD at #1.

Also I was being somewhat hyperbolic earlier. You don't have to put those albums high for me to respect your opinion. I mostly meant to say that I was uninterested in reading further in that person's article because it seemed to be written from the perspective of someone who is not a big fan of the last few albums, which is fine, but which is totally opposite from my own view, and since I have read so many sets of opinions on all the Iron Maiden albums, I don't feel the need to read the negative things that someone who I don't know has to say about the reunion albums.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1179 on: September 06, 2015, 02:23:11 AM »
I'm still not sure about the ranking but TRatB is among my favorites, I have no idea why people say it's one of the worst  :huh:
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1180 on: September 06, 2015, 05:39:09 AM »
Here is his 12-10 rankings:

https://www.angrymetalguy.com/iron-maiden-from-worst-to-best-12-10/

These are all remarkably well written. I have been saying exactly what he says in his VXI write up. That there was no one around to provide Steve any balance to the band.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1181 on: September 06, 2015, 06:04:02 AM »
Alright, I ended up getting the deluxe.  There's nothing special about it just a nice big heavy packaging.  It's Maiden so I had to get it.  I will probably end up getting the normal one at some stage too.  I've only listened to the first cd but I've listened to it about 4 times now.  Fuck this is quite spectacular.  Here's my thoughts on the songs;

If Eternity Should Fail - IMO, at the moment, the best song of the disc, it's just incredible.  Bruce's vocals here might be some of the best I've ever heard from him.  His voice just sounds so beastly and godlike here.  The key of D certainly fits his voice perfectly and it's easy to hear the solo material comparison, and that he wrote it himself (presumably with Roy)  It's a pure mix of Chemical and Tyranny, great stuff.  I love the middle section with the harmonies and I actually liked how it didn't go into guitar soloing, the whole song works really well.

Speed of Light - We know this one, it's cool in the flow of the album and with this one, I still think Bruce actually sounds a bit weak in the chorus, but it's a typical Maiden single which slots in nicely.

The Great Unknown - It was difficult to get anything out of this after one listen, the structure is a bit strange IMO, but it's opening up to be a very powerful tune.  The first minute and a half reminded me of Mother of Mercy.  Great pre chorus here and Bruce sounds amazing once again.  The chorus is a real grower and to me doesn't seem to differ to much from the verse melody which threw me off, but I'm really liking this one.

TRATB - Fuck yeah, don't know why people rate this one as a weak track, this shit is killer.  Steve's Blood on the Worlds Hands inspired intro gave me chills and once the band kicks in reminded me heavily of Run Silent Run Deep at first.  Then we realise that it's pretty much a Rime redo with some of the chugging so blatant, but really who could give a fuck.  All the melodies here work perfectly and I really like the whoa whoa parts, obviously written for a live setting.  Bruce sounding incredible again and the instrumental section is just godlike. Everything needs to be there IMO. I have no problem with the length and happy to listen to this one for 14 minutes, vintage Maiden, love it.

When the River Runs Deep - This has Adrians name written all over it, yet the name riff is Man on the Edge.  I don't really know what to make of this track yet, because for me, it doesn't really remind me of anything Maiden has really done.  just reminds me of a standard H New Frontier type song.  Great energy though and the chorus seemed to drag it down at first but now is infectious.  Some of the riffing though also has an old school Maiden feel.  A fine addition to the album.

The Book of Souls - Janick's songwriting has been one of my favourite aspects of him since the whole reunion era started.  His song writing adds so a different approach and this is no different.  Easily recognizable as a Janick contribution reminding heavily of the Talisman and especially DOD.  Bruce again just fucking controls this album and sounds so beastly here.  The phrygian verses are a perfect touch and the chorus is one of the best here where Bruce again dominates.  Have a listen closely to the chords in the chorus and see if you can pick which metal classic it's borrowed from.  The whole breakdown is probably the grooviest part of disc one and it just continues to grow.  Great solos again where the boys seem to have put a lot more thought into their leads this time around.  Perfect end to disc one.

I have no issues with the production either thankfully.  It's miles ahead of DOD and TFF and is a mix of BNW and AMOLAD.  I don't mind the rawness of what Maiden have been doing but the mudiness of DOD and TFF just hurt IMO.  I'm exhausted and completely satisfied with what I've heard and I haven't even heard the masterpiece yet.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1182 on: September 06, 2015, 06:07:29 AM »
1.    If eternity should fail - At the end, Smith with Bruce singing
2.    Speed of light - Murray/Smith
3.   The great unknown - Gers + Smith/Murray
4.   The red and the black - Murray/Gers + Smith
5.   When the river runs deep - Murray/Gers + Smith
6.   The book of souls - Murray + Gers/Smith

For the first disc at least, this seems right except TRATB.  You missed a solo by H first so - H/Murray/Gers + H.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1183 on: September 06, 2015, 06:07:43 AM »
Great writeup Wolf! Looking forward to your thoughts about the 2nd disc.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1184 on: September 06, 2015, 06:09:04 AM »
Great writeup Wolf! Looking forward to your thoughts about the 2nd disc.

It's 10pm here, don't know if I should get a listen in now.  Just finished my fourth listen of disc 1.  Might as well haha.

I might post my initial reactions here as I listen to it for the first time.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1185 on: September 06, 2015, 06:11:22 AM »
at six minutes down, this is marvellous. My goodness.

My favourite part of the album by far
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1186 on: September 06, 2015, 06:14:45 AM »
Death or Glory has H's name written all over it again.  These punchier songs are adding a nice touch to the album and this one in particular reminds me of really old school Maiden, like maybe Killers or something.  Again, quite different for Maiden.  The solos are possibly my favourite so far too from Dave and H, brilliant leads.  At the end of the song and this one is brilliant, great song.

7.   Death or glory - Murray/Smith

Yep.  Fav solos I think even out of everything from Disc 1.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1187 on: September 06, 2015, 06:23:35 AM »
Shadows of the Valley - I'm guessing that intro is somewhat intentional but Janick wrote it and then I heard the line Sea of Madness so I'm gonna say so.  Maybe he's getting H back for ripping of his White Spirit song.  The verse is a direct rip off of The Fallen Angel too.  Bruce owning everyone yet again.  Good chorus on this one again, something that this album shines with.  A bit different for a Janick song, but the instrumental lines feel like him a lot.  He likes the Montsegur lead riff too.  I hear it in this one and it's in the title track.  This enstrumental section is quite insane though.

"Into the valley of death fear no evil, we will go forward............."

Fuck, this part could the best thing on the album yet, holy shit, this part is fucking incredible.

8.   Shadown of the valley - Murray + Smith + Gers

I think you got Murray and Gers mixed around on first listen.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1188 on: September 06, 2015, 06:28:47 AM »
Tears of A Clown - Not much to say with this one on first listen, except it really reminds me of something that should be on say, Accident of Birth.  A fine enough song and well placed, just doesn't hit on the first listen like the last two crackers did.

9.   Tears of the clown - Smith/Murray

Seems legit.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1189 on: September 06, 2015, 06:36:31 AM »
The Man of Sorrows - Very dark and different song here which oozes Dave's writing style.  It was hard to pick up the melodies in the verses and such but when that instrumental key change hit and Bruce's vocals raised, it gave me chills.  That last key change was orgasmic too.  Wow. This needs way more listens.

10.   The man of sorrows - Murray + Smith (by the way, a song with a very Fates Warning vibe!)

i can hear the FW vibe man.  Yes, but at the end Janick does a solo.