Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 557630 times)

fadetoblackdude7 and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
I quite love TBoS. Fantastic album! Disc 1 is pretty good, with IESF and the title track being an incredible opener and closer. TRatB, on the other hand, is the weakest epic that Steve's written in at least a decade.

Disc 2 is a straight-up masterpiece.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
I'm not a huge Maiden fan, just never got into them... That said I I listened to tears of a clown due to the Robin Williams homage and loved it.  I may have to listen to the whole thing now.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I'm not a huge Maiden fan, just never got into them... That said I I listened to tears of a clown due to the Robin Williams homage and loved it.  I may have to listen to the whole thing now.

It's an awesome tune!

Never too late...
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Man, this is gonna be a long week waiting for this one to come out.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online fadetoblackdude7

Re: The Iron Maiden thread for discussion NOT relating to The Book of Souls
« Reply #949 on: August 31, 2015, 06:08:03 PM »
I just said screw it and ordered Somewhere In Time and Seventh Son of a Seventh Son

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #950 on: August 31, 2015, 06:09:31 PM »
I just said screw it and ordered Somewhere In Time and Seventh Son of a Seventh Son

Classics!!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I would also want to say that there were a couple of runs that totally reminded me of the DiAnno era albums. Seriously.
And I think that is fucking  :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline 425

« Reply #952 on: August 31, 2015, 06:26:46 PM »
Excellent decision.

Honestly, for all the debate about 90s albums, you really should get all four of those last. Take your time to appreciate all of these 80s releases, then skip ahead to 2000's Brave New World. Then once you've worked your way through the 21st century albums, if you still want more Maiden, then go to the 90s ones.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #953 on: August 31, 2015, 06:27:30 PM »

You will not be disappointed.  You just improved your life.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #954 on: August 31, 2015, 06:28:58 PM »

Immensely!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #955 on: August 31, 2015, 06:39:08 PM »
I love Somewhere In Time.  Seventh Son is easily my least favorite of the Bruce albums, not including No Prayer and Fear of the Dark (which I do not have).

My rankings (because this is DTF, so we have to do album rankings for no reason):
1.  The Final Frontier
2.  Piece of Mind
3.  Somewhere In Time
4.  Dance of Death
5.  A Matter of Life and Death (really, 4 and 5 are interchangeable to me)
6.  The Number of the Beast
7.  Powerslave
8.  Brave New World
9.  Seventh Son
10.  Killers (only other studio album I have)
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I love reading these comments.

What's the production like?

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
I seriously cannot wait for everyone to hear it!!  The freshness and innovation for a band this far into their career is absolutely staggering and it has totally rekindled my love for Maiden after a pretty lukewarm reception to TFF (for myself).  Maiden are still writing like they have something to prove, and I honestly cannot believe how fucking awesome it is!

I would also want to say that there were a couple of runs that totally reminded me of the DiAnno era albums. Seriously.
And I think that is fucking  :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

I definitely had that feeling too!  There are some definite throwbacks to the first two albums, especially with tempo changes that just smack you in the face, in the vein of (but not as drastic as) the tempo change in Genghis Khan.

There is more of that Sabbath vibe in some of the riffs that was present in the early days, but within the context of the proggier Maiden.  I love it!

I love reading these comments.

What's the production like?

To me the production is raw, like AMOLAD, but that being said it runs directly into Brave New World on my itunes, and there is definitely a similarity.

I think the 'rawness' is due to the quality of the rip - there is a lot missing in the bottom end, and listening to the Spotify stream of Speed of Light would suggest that it is just the rip quality.

And regarding Empire of the Clouds (spoiler): I can't believe that its 18 mins, it just flies by!  I was also shocked at how it doesn't at all rely on long, drawn out breakdowns a la SSOASS, Rime or SOTC.  It almost never lets up.  Bruce can write a killer riff when he wants to, and one in particular is definitely one of my favourite Maiden riffs post-reunion.

Eternity, River Runs Deep, Red and the Black, Empire and the title track are standouts for me at the moment.  The others are growing on me, and I feel like thats most likely how this album works.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 06:56:09 PM by sneakyblueberry »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm happy if it sounds more like AMOLAD and BNW as opposed to DOD and TFF.

Offline 425

« Reply #959 on: August 31, 2015, 06:55:57 PM »
I'm not sure how accurately my ranking would be because it's been so long since I've listened to much of the Maiden discography and a lot of these are really close for me, but I will do this so that we can remain DTF.

• The Final Frontier
  • A Matter of Life and Death
  • Brave New World
  • The Number of the Beast
  • Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
  • Piece of Mind
  • The X Factor
  • Somewhere In Time
  • Powerslave
  • Dance of Death
  • Virtual XI
  • Killers
  • Iron Maiden
  • No Prayer for the Dying
  • Fear of the Dark
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm really liking the sounds of this!

Online Mister Gold

• Human

It's a great blend sonically between AMOLAD and BNW; it's more raw/heavy sounding like AMOLAD, but it's also more clean and refined like BNW. Low key production, but it works perfectly. :metal

Empire of the Clouds is possibly my new favorite Maiden song. I cried when I first heard it. Bruce's magnum opus, definitely. There's a nice nod to The Legacy at one point too that even sounds better here than it did in The Legacy.

The Man of Sorrows is probably my second favorite song off the album. Possibly Dave's best song ever.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member

It's a great blend sonically between AMOLAD and BNW; it's more raw/heavy sounding like AMOLAD, but it's also more clean and refined like BNW. Low key production, but it works perfectly. :metal

Empire of the Clouds is possibly my new favorite Maiden song. I cried when I first heard it. Bruce's magnum opus, definitely. There's a nice nod to The Legacy at one point too that even sounds better here than it did in The Legacy.

The Man of Sorrows is probably my second favorite song off the album. Possibly Dave's best song ever.

Man of Sorrows is fantastic, there is some beautiful flowing guitar work in there that is absolutely spellbinding, I just wish the outro was a bit longer, its so nice!

The awesomeness of Empire cannot be understated.

On a couple of tracks there are some awesome majestic sounding major key guitar melodies, I think specifically in Empire and TR&TB, which hit me as very different by Maiden standards.  Almost... Rush-majestic.  lol though, my Rush knowledge is limited.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Empire of the Clouds is possibly my new favorite Maiden song. I cried when I first heard it.

Are you serious?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Well the Maidevangelists are in full swing - over in the other thread we have lives being improved and we're in tears over here.  Hang on...........I'm losing my balance  :D

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
My expectations getting this high can only lead to disappointment.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
Keep it level headed mate and you'll be amazed like I was :P

Empire didn't make me cry but its pretty emotional, especially considering its Bruce writing the whole thing, and what he's been through lately.  That echoes with me on a personal level.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Fair enough mate.  I'm so looking forward to it.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
I just realized I haven't said a word about this album since it was announced, so I'll just get this out of my system months later:

Dat old style logo wit dem pointy letters! Dem track lengths! Ooooooooh!  :metal
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline adace

The album is fantastic but it hasn't fully clicked with me yet. I'm getting there though.

I'm kinda leaning towards Death or Glory as my favorite track. It's just so epic and bursting with energy. Could have easily been on one of the 80's albums.

Also, this guy is uploading spot-on guitar covers of the new songs: https://www.youtube.com/user/crave136/videos

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #970 on: August 31, 2015, 11:39:49 PM »

Immensely!

I've been enjoying the first five albums crazily and I'm looking forward to those two.
I'm debating whether or not to buy the book of souls on friday. Part of me thinks it's too soon but the other part wants to enjoy a new release with everyone else.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #971 on: September 01, 2015, 02:38:33 AM »

Immensely!

I've been enjoying the first five albums crazily and I'm looking forward to those two.
I'm debating whether or not to buy the book of souls on friday. Part of me thinks it's too soon but the other part wants to enjoy a new release with everyone else.

Might as well, could be the last time you enjoy a new IM release with the fan base, although I know the guys were quoted saying they dont want it to be the last release, but you never know.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
All discussion related to the new album goes here so people can discuss other aspects of Maiden in the other thread without risking spoilers.

No problem with a new thread, but what I never understood is, what is there to "spoil" about an upcoming music release?

I mean, I can understand that in Movies, TV-series, books, when someone spoils the end and tells us who dies, who did it etc, that that can spoil the whole fun of watching/reading.

But in music? What is there to spoil, that can spoil my listening experience? When someone says Book Of Souls is good (or bad), the best (or worst or whatever) then it's personal opinion and no spoiler. When someone says that it's heavier/less heavy than previous albums? Isn't that all subjective and therefore no real spoiler? Is it a spoiler when someone told us that Bruce plays piano on Empire?

And yes, this question is meant mostly serious.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online Mister Gold

• Human
Empire of the Clouds is possibly my new favorite Maiden song. I cried when I first heard it.

Are you serious?

I'm not sure about the ranking yet, but yeah, I cried a little bit when I heard it. That song is beautiful. It's to Iron Maiden what The Garden was to Rush.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
This album is..... AWESOME!!!!  :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Seriously, I can't say how amazing this album is.  I've listened to the first half about 20 times now and I love it.  The second half only a few times and its also very good.  Its just sooo much music to take in, but I really love it.  Lots of new things for IM here, but it still sounds clearly like IM and seems to have a lot of old styles mixed in with the new.  Also some of it reminds me a bit of Bruce solo but I guess that is due to his contributions on this one.

Offline Mladen

This album is just fantastic. Empire of the clouds is one of the best songs they've ever done, and so is The Red and the black. I love When the river runs deep, If eternity should fail, Death or glory, Speed of light and The Man of sorrows as well.

Offline Lowdz

This makes me happy  :biggrin:

Online Mister Gold

• Human
To help temper expectations, I should probably mention that I'm honestly not a big fan of The Red and the Black. It's got a lot of great riffs and massive instrumental section, but it feels like Steve just rushed the song out and didn't take any time to really work out the song. It actually feels considerably longer to me than Empire does, despite being five minutes shorter.

Thankfully Disc 1 has the strengths of If Eternity Should Fail and the title track to really hold it together. It's kinda like Powerslave, in that regard.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
To help temper expectations, I should probably mention that I'm honestly not a big fan of The Red and the Black.

I enjoy the song. But where it falls down for me is the band's insistence at playing the melody on guitar under the vocals. I just don't think it's needed.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
To help temper expectations, I should probably mention that I'm honestly not a big fan of The Red and the Black.

I enjoy the song. But where it falls down for me is the band's insistence at playing the melody on guitar under the vocals. I just don't think it's needed.

I think thats one of the many awesome aspects of the songs and its something IM haven't done.  Really makes the song stick out and adds power to Bruce's vocals.  That song is a BEAST and although it kind of is like your standard Steve Harris IM epic, it really feels like its one of the better ones IMO.  Granted it is also new so maybe over time my opinion will change.