Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 557573 times)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Re: THE El Dorado Thread (and other Iron Maiden related musings)
« Reply #210 on: March 31, 2015, 04:33:38 PM »
Just finished listening to the TV version of Rock in Rio. It's ridiculous how many over dubs were put in the DVD version. The worst one being in Fear of the Dark. The crowd was loud as fuck and they still put a duplicate soundbite of Bruce in. I think they even cut out a small section in The Clansman. I'd have to go back and check.

There's overdubs all over the whole concert, but those two songs are by far the worst.  Not sure about cutting out a section in The Clansman.  What makes me laugh is on the official CD/DVD, during the "no, we're not gonna take anymore,"  at one point you can hear the overdub of Bruce saying this line over the crowd, but then they cut a word out and you hear Bruce yell at the crowd to sing which is from the concert.  But, there's no way Bruce could stop singing and yell like he does to the crowd almost at the same time.  It's like they have almost dubbed Bruce over the top of himself.  I would have to find it to make it more clear what I am referring to.

I know exactly what you're talking about.

"Nooooo, no we're not gonna take anymor-LOUDER"

They did it in such a way that it does kinda sound like he's cutting himself off, so I can look passed it. About cutting a part out of The Clansman, I think I was just confused because I wasn't used to not hearing the overdubs, so it sounded off.

They didn't need any overdubs at all. The only thing they needed to do was make the crowd more in sync in certain places like in Dream of Mirrors. Yeah, they really shouldn't have done that either, but it sounds better on the DVD/CD. But Mr. Harris, if Bruce is telling the crowd to sing a passage, why the fuck would you then overdub Bruce singing said passage? Makes no sense.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #211 on: March 31, 2015, 05:46:44 PM »
Just finished listening to the TV version of Rock in Rio. It's ridiculous how many over dubs were put in the DVD version. The worst one being in Fear of the Dark. The crowd was loud as fuck and they still put a duplicate soundbite of Bruce in. I think they even cut out a small section in The Clansman. I'd have to go back and check.

There's overdubs all over the whole concert, but those two songs are by far the worst.  Not sure about cutting out a section in The Clansman.  What makes me laugh is on the official CD/DVD, during the "no, we're not gonna take anymore,"  at one point you can hear the overdub of Bruce saying this line over the crowd, but then they cut a word out and you hear Bruce yell at the crowd to sing which is from the concert.  But, there's no way Bruce could stop singing and yell like he does to the crowd almost at the same time.  It's like they have almost dubbed Bruce over the top of himself.  I would have to find it to make it more clear what I am referring to.

I know exactly what you're talking about.

"Nooooo, no we're not gonna take anymor-LOUDER"

But Mr. Harris, if Bruce is telling the crowd to sing a passage, why the fuck would you then overdub Bruce singing said passage? Makes no sense.

That's the line Zook.  And that's the thing that annoyed me the most with the overdubs.  Anyone who didn't know the story behind the overdubs would be thinking, "Why would he ask the crowd to sing, but then sing it himself anyway?"
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #212 on: March 31, 2015, 06:19:47 PM »
IRON MAIDEN bassist/mainman Steve Harris has posted the following message via the group's official web site at www.ironmaiden.com in response to the accusations that, contrary to the various bandmembers' previous claims, the group's Rock In Rio live album contains studio overdubs:

Let's get one thing straight. [IRON MAIDEN frontman] Bruce [Dickinson] is NOT a liar.

There are NO overdubs on this live album. While it was being mixed in New York by [producer] Kevin Shirley and myself, Bruce was in London to my knowledge, or wherever he was, it's not an issue except to say that he couldn't overdub anything if he wasn't there!

What HAS happened is that I made an executive decision to cut and paste with a computer to put back in, his LIVE on the night vocals into parts where he was getting the audience to sing on some choruses on some lines on their own. The reason I did this is because in the cold light of day it sounds better with him back in there because sometimes the audience were either out of time or not quite loud enough. So I simply cut out parts of his vocal on the line before and pasted it into the next line, which was possible because it was a repetitive part.

I find it amazing that people would question this band's integrity and indeed go as far as accuse someone of being a liar. Supposed fans like that we don't want, as far as I'm concerned we're better off without people like that. If you don't like what I've done with the album, don't buy it. Simple!

Read more at https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/iron-maiden-s-steve-harris-there-are-no-overdubs-on-rock-in-rio/#D3Kw2PGbgiAWTAUI.99

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #213 on: March 31, 2015, 06:39:53 PM »
I remember reading that when it happened.  Funny stuff, good ol' 'Arry.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #214 on: March 31, 2015, 08:10:54 PM »
Haha I've never seen that.  Brilliant.  Tough as old boots...

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #215 on: April 01, 2015, 06:12:29 AM »
Ive never seen that either, but I wonder if his "if you dont like it, dont buy it" type of attitude is coming more so from the criticism of his editing than the overdubs.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #216 on: April 01, 2015, 06:31:53 AM »
Possibly both.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #217 on: April 07, 2015, 03:43:59 AM »
Parlophone Records (BMG/INgrooves Music Group for the USA) are delighted to announce the release of nineteen IRON MAIDEN catalogue albums which have been Mastered For iTunes (iTunes.com/IronMaiden), encoded from 24-bit / 96 khz high resolution masters and now re-mastered with iTunes in mind, delivering the music to listeners exactly the way the artist and recording engineer intended. These are brand new re-masters from their original analogue sources, exclusively produced for iTunes. All fifteen studio albums, 2 Best Of compilations and 2 live albums were personally selected by Maiden's founder member Steve Harris for this superior mastering technique : Iron Maiden, Killers, The Number Of The Beast, Piece Of Mind, Powerslave, Somewhere In Time, Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son, No Prayer For The Dying, Fear Of The Dark, The X Factor, Virtual XI, Brave New World, Dance Of Death, A Matter Of Life And Death, The Final Frontier, Somewhere Back In Time, From Fear To Eternity (2CD), Live after Death (2CD) and Rock In Rio (2CD).

Steve comments:
"The Mastering For iTunes procedure allows the listener to experience the music as close as possible to the way the artist intended it to be heard. So of course I was very keen for the Maiden albums to be mastered in this way. The records have been available digitally before, when this medium first became a platform for music distribution but that was mastered with CDs in mind. The iTunes process involves a different approach and it's great to finally deliver the music to our fans in as close to a pure and accurate sound as we could possibly achieve.For example, as most people know, I was never really happy with the sound on the first Maiden album but listening to it now, the guitars are louder, the drums more substantial and the overall tone is so very much improved in my opinion. Tony Newton and Ade Emsley who worked closely with me on the project did a terrific job recapturing everything from the original masters and together we've re- mastered them all digitally and I'm really happy with the results."

Tony Newton adds:
"The process started with locating all of the original album mix tapes (or whichever format they were mixed to). Then the choice of analogue to digital convertor was chosen for the most accurate capture to make it as close as possible to the sound of the mix as it was intended by the band. When a lot of these tapes were last captured it was in the 1980's, early days of digital and only 44.1khz/16bit files were possible. On top of this the new A/D convertors are far superior now, and of course it is possible to produce files of far higher resolution. The result of this is that the songs now sound more defined with added depth and warmth. I was very excited to be asked to be part of this project, I honestly feel that there is a massive improvement in the quality of these classic albums."
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #218 on: April 07, 2015, 05:06:15 AM »
ITunes suck, but lackluster productions of albums like TXF, DOD and TFF would be interesting to hear.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #219 on: April 07, 2015, 05:36:52 AM »
So there are no overdubs on RiR - they simply took some bits and overdubbed them onto other bits. Glad that's settled.

"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #220 on: April 07, 2015, 05:46:52 AM »
I was unaware of Itune specific remasters.  Has this been done before? 

Offline Mladen

« Reply #221 on: April 07, 2015, 06:13:55 AM »
So there are no overdubs on RiR - they simply took some bits and overdubbed them onto other bits. Glad that's settled.
I've actually always known that, but I still used the word "overdub" because of not knowing how else to say it. Pasting the already existing live vocals? I guess that's the way to put it.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #222 on: April 07, 2015, 02:54:50 PM »
ITunes suck, but lackluster productions of albums like TXF, DOD and TFF would be interesting to hear.

I always thought TXF had a great atmosphere.  I love Nicko's drum sound, and the whole thing just sounds dark and moody, like the song content. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #223 on: April 07, 2015, 03:47:10 PM »

I always thought TXF had a great atmosphere.  I love Nicko's drum sound, and the whole thing just sounds dark and moody, like the song content.

I thought it fits the mood of the album too, but I always wondered what it would sound like with a more in your face and hard hitting production.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #224 on: April 08, 2015, 01:02:38 AM »
I'd be fine with the X Factor if it had a stronger guitar sound. The thin guitars just ruin it imo.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #225 on: April 08, 2015, 06:01:04 AM »
TXF's big downfall is the production.  Sure it has that darkness to it that fits the lyrical content and theme of the album, but it also sounds like shit IMO.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #226 on: April 08, 2015, 06:38:57 AM »
I'd be fine with the X Factor if it had a stronger guitar sound. The thin guitars just ruin it imo.

Having grown up with (and practically cut my teeth on) the original self titled album...I found the guitar sound of TXF quite nostalgic. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #228 on: April 25, 2015, 09:00:10 PM »
It's nice to see that he believes in something like this could work and knows that getting to the goal is not going to be short or easy.  Good quotes there by him.

Dickinson, the singer and part-time pilot got involved in 2008 after meeting the “genius behind it”, the late inventor Roger Munk, and has now upped his investment to £250,000. Dickinson said: “I told my wife, I’m about to put £100k into a big bag of helium. It may go up in smoke. She said, people have to dream, and unless you can dream something it’s never going to happen.”

He added: “I’m not expecting to get my money back any time soon, I just want to be part of it. Being a rock person, I could put it up my nose, or buy a million Rolls Royces and drive them into swimming pools, or I could do something useful.”

The heavy metal superstar added: “There are very few times in your life when you’re going to be part of something big.”

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #229 on: April 27, 2015, 05:52:47 AM »
Thats a cool quote and shows Bruce's character.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #230 on: April 27, 2015, 05:54:34 AM »
Bruce is such a cool guy.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #231 on: April 27, 2015, 05:57:11 AM »
Bruce is such a great role model and just a champ of a man.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #232 on: April 27, 2015, 07:52:15 AM »
Bruce is such a great role model and just a champ of a man.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #233 on: April 28, 2015, 08:17:05 AM »
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #234 on: May 07, 2015, 05:19:47 PM »
I finally broke down and actually purchased A Matter of Life and Death.   Man...what a BEAST of an album!!

And the first thing that sticks out at me every time I listen to it...you have to get all the way up to track 8 before you hit a song that repeats a single phrase 8 times. (of course, it's the first song on the album that is written solely by Harris....go figure)   But even then, the album as a whole doesn't feel near as tiring because they are not spending the entire album with those damned repetitive choruses.   So even that song doesn't seem as bad in the context of the album. 

This is honestly a top 5, maybe even top 3 Maiden album.   It's just wonderful to remember how good Iron Maiden can be when they are truly firing on all cylinders.   It's a shame we never got a concert DVD of this tour.   Does anyone know if any shows were pro-shot for later release??
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline 425

« Reply #235 on: May 07, 2015, 05:26:00 PM »
AMOLAD is spectacular. And despite its repetitiveness, For the Greater Good of God is one of my favorites on the album.

I don't know about pro-shot video, but there are several high-quality audio bootlegs from the tour, on which the played the full album (which I think is the only album they have ever played live in full). From memory, I think the bootleg of the Globen show is of very good quality.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #236 on: May 07, 2015, 05:48:47 PM »
I think the only proshot show from that tour (06-07) was the one in the Download Festival 2007?  That said, I don't think there has been or going to be a proshot release of one of their shows where they played the album in its entirety.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #237 on: May 07, 2015, 09:38:11 PM »
Better late than never.  AMOLAD is indeed a mature, beastly album.

If I remember rightly, the band stated there was going to be a DVD for that tour.  I awaited it as we all know they played the album in full, but then the DVD just never happened.

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #238 on: May 08, 2015, 04:28:45 AM »
I was very disappointed that tracks like Benjamin Breeg and Different World didn't make it intot he setlist for the next tour. The En Vivo DVD would be so much better with them.

Any more news about album 16 yet?

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #239 on: May 08, 2015, 06:09:55 AM »
I recall IM recorded the Download 07 concert for a planned release, but something was wrong with it.  I think the band was not happy with their performance or something.  So that got scrapped, but that concert also was when they were celebrating tNotB album so it was half songs from that album and half from aMoLaD.  I have a bootleg of the Long Island show from the leg of the tour where they played the entire album and its pretty good except for the fact that the place is half empty and it seems like IM's effort in that show reflected the poor crowd.

I was very disappointed that tracks like Benjamin Breeg and Different World didn't make it intot he setlist for the next tour. The En Vivo DVD would be so much better with them.

I agree, the setlist the US got for TFF tour was awesome as it was like a "best of" 2000s IM.  They didn't play Different World though, played These Colours Don't Run and Benjamin Breeg.   If and when IM ever tour again, I would really hope they bring out more songs from this album.  It's a shame the US crowd really didnt appreciate the aMoLaD tour.  I rememeber so many people complaining after the show because they didnt play The Trooper and tNofB. 

Offline Mladen

« Reply #240 on: May 08, 2015, 06:34:10 AM »
I'm sure that Download DVD will be released at some point. Probably once they retire, the stuff needs to keep coming out.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #241 on: May 08, 2015, 07:09:56 AM »
AMoLaD is my favorite of post 2000 albuns, it has the best compositions, with the best overall sound and mix of all of them. IMO it still suffers of some arrangements problems of the newer records (too much of the calm intros for some songs... Kevin Shirley, where are you as producer ?!), but  with few "corrections" and without These Colors Don't Run (sorry, I guess is a favorite of many here) is near a perfect album.
On other topic, has anyone heard the albuns in Hi-Res yet? How about them?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 07:34:34 AM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #242 on: May 08, 2015, 07:23:12 AM »
Kevin Shirley, where are you as producer?

To be fair, Shirley does push for greater variety on IM albums, but Steve Harris generally over-rules him.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #243 on: May 08, 2015, 07:24:11 AM »
AMOLAD is awesome. Yeah, you have calm intros left and right, but they work really well regardless. Out of the Shadows, Lord of Light and The Legacy are some of the band's best songs.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #244 on: May 08, 2015, 07:43:18 AM »
The Legacy is a top 5 song an AMOLAD is IM's best album IMO.  As close to a perfect album as IM have.