Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 557469 times)

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
Re: THE El Dorado Thread (and other Iron Maiden related musings)
« Reply #350 on: June 19, 2015, 06:50:21 AM »
Only two Gets songs in a double album is a plus. Eddie looks like Eddie again - and is REALLY well drawn!!!
I get why Janick is seen as the weaker guitar player on Maiden, his performances in studio and more so live are kind of messy… but he always written some really cool tunes: be quick or be dead, man on the edge, the unbeliever, ghost of the navigator, dream of mirrors... and IMO montségur and the legacy are two of the best songs ever written by Maiden.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #351 on: June 19, 2015, 07:22:08 AM »
 :tup :tup to The Legacy, a top 5 IM song for me.

Online faizoff

« Reply #352 on: June 19, 2015, 10:19:35 AM »
Yea no doubt Gers writes some amazing tunes, his playing live is sometimes iffy but then again he looks like he's having a blast on stage.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #353 on: June 19, 2015, 10:33:23 AM »
Yea no doubt Gers writes some amazing tunes, his playing live is sometimes iffy but then again he looks like he's having a blast on stage.

Yea, he is really fun to watch just cause he is so active on stage.  I would imagine it is hard to play perfect while running, jumping, and throwing your guitar in the air.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #354 on: June 19, 2015, 11:16:07 AM »
Janick gets a lot of unnecessary flack. He's not the best guitarist in the band, that'd obviously be Adrian, but you can tell he's passionate about what he does for the band. Gotta respect that.

I'm really curious to see what sort of direction the band went in this time around. It definitely seems like it'll be a darker album, if the cover is anything to go by, which is normally the case for IM covers.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #355 on: June 19, 2015, 11:19:35 AM »
Um...pretty much all of Maiden's covers are dark.  (as in, they convey a dark message) 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #356 on: June 19, 2015, 11:23:46 AM »
Um...pretty much all of Maiden's covers are dark.  (as in, they convey a dark message)

Oh certainly, but I mean "dark" in relation to the band's music itself. This album cover is reminiscent of the artwork for The X Factor and A Matter of Life and Death, tonally speaking. Those albums are noted for being considerably more brooding than other albums by the band.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #357 on: June 19, 2015, 04:11:47 PM »
When it comes to Gers, I find that the rule of thumb is that if you've been a Maiden fan before 1988 (like me), there's a good chance you don't like him, regardless of his stage performance, his good compositions or passional about the band. I don't care what this guy does, he'll always stick out like a sore thumb to me.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #358 on: June 19, 2015, 04:18:43 PM »
When it comes to Gers, I find that the rule of thumb is that if you've been a Maiden fan before 1988 (like me), there's a good chance you don't like him, regardless of his stage performance, his good compositions or passional about the band. I don't care what this guy does, he'll always stick out like a sore thumb to me.

I think with this line of thinking, which is common I know towards Janick, that's the fans issue for not embracing that the band changed.  Adrian left and they needed a replacement.  When Bruce rejoined, he wanted Adrian to rejoin too, and I'm glad they kept Janick, it would have been wrong IMO to boot him out for Adrian.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #359 on: June 19, 2015, 04:22:15 PM »

Rod, I'm an old fan too, and I can't disagree with you, but I believe the Gers is an integral part of today's Maiden. He's a big part of the great chemistry this band has in the Reunion era.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #360 on: June 19, 2015, 04:27:05 PM »
Yeah, he needs to be there.  His songwriting adds another dimension to the reunion albums, which IMO is a great thing.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #361 on: June 19, 2015, 09:27:08 PM »
Man, I really want it to be good but I think they jumped the shark with those song lengths. I expect the acoustic intros and outros to be 5 minutes apiece instead of the usual 2.  :-\

Offline jammindude

« Reply #362 on: June 19, 2015, 10:21:13 PM »
For me, Iron Maiden is kindof that band that is so good at "that one thing" that it's almost not fair.   Because they've ruined it for everyone else that has tried to do what they invariably perfected.    True, it is just "that one thing"...but they do it so well that no one else can compete. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Counselor of Prog

« Reply #363 on: June 20, 2015, 02:36:13 AM »
Man, I really want it to be good but I think they jumped the shark with those song lengths. I expect the acoustic intros and outros to be 5 minutes apiece instead of the usual 2.  :-\

Yeah, they "jumped the shark" for those suffering from Attention Deficit Disorder.  ::)
"The only closed systems in the universe are hardened hearts and darkened minds." Scott Becker, Valley of the Shadow

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #364 on: June 20, 2015, 03:21:54 AM »
I think we can all agree that there will likely be long intros and outros, but I wouldn't use the term "jumping the shark" to describe that.  I do hope they get more creative, but what really long songs do not have long intros and outros?  I just hope they aren't all acoustic.  If you take out the 18 minute song, the rest of the average song lengths seem like they may be less than the last two albums (I didnt do the math so I could be wrong).

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #365 on: June 20, 2015, 03:27:58 AM »
Don´t think I´ve been this excited for an upcoming Maiden release in a Long, long time....
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #366 on: June 20, 2015, 04:29:23 AM »
So excited gadddamn

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #367 on: June 20, 2015, 04:45:10 AM »

Yeah, they "jumped the shark" for those suffering from Attention Deficit Disorder.  ::)

I've got ADHD (admittedly a bit of a difference from ADD though) and I still love their prog era! :metal :tup
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Counselor of Prog

« Reply #368 on: June 20, 2015, 06:23:14 AM »
 :metal

I have mild OCD, and still love their entire catalog!! I re-experienced an affinity for prog starting earlier this year (Flying Colors, Neal Morse, Transatlantic, DT ((Duh!!)), IM), so this is merely a natural musical evolution revolution!!  :tup
"The only closed systems in the universe are hardened hearts and darkened minds." Scott Becker, Valley of the Shadow

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #369 on: June 20, 2015, 08:33:43 AM »

Let's wait to hear the songs, yeah? I mean, I'm surprised by the song lengths too, so it's not impossible that they will surprise me again with the actual content of the songs. It's possible you're right, but why call it jumping the shark if you don't even know what the songs will sound like?
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #370 on: June 20, 2015, 09:11:28 AM »
Only two Gets songs in a double album is a plus. Eddie looks like Eddie again - and is REALLY well drawn!!!
I get why Janick is seen as the weaker guitar player on Maiden, his performances in studio and more so live are kind of messy… but he always written some really cool tunes: be quick or be dead, man on the edge, the unbeliever, ghost of the navigator, dream of mirrors... and IMO montségur and the legacy are two of the best songs ever written by Maiden.

The talisman is also really good, its one of my favorite songs from TFF
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #371 on: June 20, 2015, 09:23:57 AM »
Janick's best song with Maiden, imo, is The Legacy. One of my personal favorites off AMoLaD.  :hefdaddy
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Mladen

« Reply #372 on: June 20, 2015, 12:18:58 PM »
I personally find Gers to be the best songwriter of the reunion era. Pretty much all of his songs are excellent.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #373 on: June 20, 2015, 12:21:06 PM »
The Legacy is a top5 Maiden song for me.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #374 on: June 20, 2015, 12:23:43 PM »
I personally find Gers to be the best songwriter of the reunion era. Pretty much all of his songs are excellent.

Janick is a great songwriter, but I think Bruce and H are still the best songwriters in the band. :tup

The Legacy is a top5 Maiden song for me.

:metal :tup :hefdaddy
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #375 on: June 20, 2015, 08:49:10 PM »

Let's wait to hear the songs, yeah? I mean, I'm surprised by the song lengths too, so it's not impossible that they will surprise me again with the actual content of the songs. It's possible you're right, but why call it jumping the shark if you don't even know what the songs will sound like?

Uh, recent past history? So either even more extended intros, or choruses that repeat a zillion times. I would LOVE to be proven wrong.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #376 on: June 20, 2015, 09:23:17 PM »

Uh, recent past history? So either even more extended intros, or choruses that repeat a zillion times. I would LOVE to be proven wrong.

This is exactly the problem with Modern Maiden, and why I stopped listening to their new stuff. I couldn't even make it through TFF, and it completely baffles me that AMOLAD gets so much praise. Brave New World is no different, but at least the songs were well written enough that I could give it a pass. Sure, the lazy repeated choruses were a thing in the 80s as well, but again, the songs were well written, and weren't a Fear of the Dark mellow intro, heavy middle, repeated chorus times infinity, solos solos solos, repeated chorus times infinity plus one, mellow outro. It's like if every modern Dream Theater song was written like Endless Sacrifice.

I'm going to give the album a shot, but if it's the same old crap, I'm done for good.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #377 on: June 20, 2015, 09:35:24 PM »

This is exactly the problem with Modern Maiden, and why I stopped listening to their new stuff. I couldn't even make it through TFF, and it completely baffles me that AMOLAD gets so much praise. Brave New World is no different, but at least the songs were well written enough that I could give it a pass. Sure, the lazy repeated choruses were a thing in the 80s as well, but again, the songs were well written, and weren't a Fear of the Dark mellow intro, heavy middle, repeated chorus times infinity, solos solos solos, repeated chorus times infinity plus one, mellow outro. It's like if every modern Dream Theater song was written like Endless Sacrifice.

I'm going to give the album a shot, but if it's the same old crap, I'm done for good.

Actually, the reasons you mentioned were exactly the reason I *DID* love AMOLAD.   I didn't hit a song that repeated the same phrase eight times until 3/4ths of the way through the album.    It was incredibly refreshing.    And yes, there was some of the "formula" there, but it wasn't as in your face as the rest of the reunion albums.   I still think it stands out among all of them.    TBH (we're blood brothers) I can't figure (we're blood brothers) why BNW (we're blood brothers) gets so much attention.

(we're blood brothers)

:angel:
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline 425

« Reply #378 on: June 20, 2015, 11:03:48 PM »
Actually, the reasons you mentioned were exactly the reason I *DID* love AMOLAD.   I didn't hit a song that repeated the same phrase eight times until 3/4ths of the way through the album.    It was incredibly refreshing.    And yes, there was some of the "formula" there, but it wasn't as in your face as the rest of the reunion albums.   I still think it stands out among all of them.

The Final Frontier is the same way. Yes, there's the final frontier, the final frontier, the final frontier, the final frontier, but then that's it with the endlessly repeated lines for the whole album.

Iron Maiden has basically spent at least the past two decades of studio albums perfecting the transition of their style of music into a full-on prog metal context. They naturally evolved into a proto-prog style in 1988 for Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, but I think that scared Harris at the time which resulted in that little diversion into No Prayer for the Dying which continued over into much of Fear of the Dark. The X Factor is the first album of what I would call the modern era of Iron Maiden, and it's really been a progression from there with 'Arry and the guys becoming more ambitious and trying to figure out how to be a prog metal act while still being Iron Maiden.

Virtual XI is evidence of some of the hiccups that came with that transition (though I still think it's a solid album), and, yes, to some extent Brave New World had similar problems, though these were lessened by the addition of Bruce and H and the high quality of songwriting across the board, despite the repetition. Dance of Death is just overall not as good as BNW from a songwriting perspective, though there definitely are gems. But on these last two albums I think they've really come into their own in their current style, which is still easily recognizable as Maiden but much more ambitious and proggy than, say Piece of Mind. I'd definitely rate AMOLAD and TFF as among the best albums of their discography, with TFF maybe being my favorite Maiden album (I think TFF has slightly better songwriting than AMOLAD—The Longest Day meanders a bit and I'm not a huge Out of the Shadows fan).

That's why I'm really excited for this new album. It seems like yet another attempt by this band to be more ambitious as musicians and to continue to tweak and perfect their little 20 year foray into prog. The presence of three 10-minute-plus songs and a smattering of shorter tracks as well is quite exciting, to me. What other band would write a song equally as long as the longest song of their career AND one five minutes longer than that for their 16th studio album? I'm not nearly as big of a Maiden fan as I once was, and I rarely listen to them anymore, but I am definitely anticipating the release of this record.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #379 on: June 22, 2015, 04:22:47 PM »
I will say that "Empire of the Clouds" should be a very interesting experiment for the band, considering that it's coming from Bruce and not Steve or Adrian. While he's really the "heaviest" member in the band, Bruce also is openly a fan of some of prog rock/metal's more obscure and creatively interesting bands out there (i.e. Van Der Graaf Generator, Arthur Brown, Atomic Rooster and Jethro Tull).

In comparison, Steve is a lot more "traditional" in his influences, such as UFO and Genesis. That's not at all slight against him, I just think we all know what an eighteen minute long epic from Steve would probably sound like. With Bruce, I think it's possible that we're in for some strange and interesting stuff.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 06:05:12 PM by Mister Gold »
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #380 on: June 22, 2015, 06:10:24 PM »
Virtual XI seems like a collection of leftovers which were left over from a leftovers album.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #381 on: June 22, 2015, 06:16:58 PM »
I will say that "Empire of the Clouds" should be a very interesting experiment for the band, considering that it's coming from Bruce and not Steve or Adrian. While he's really the "heaviest" member in the band, Bruce also is openly a fan of some of prog rock/metal's more obscure and creatively interesting bands out there (i.e. Van Der Graaf Generator, Arthur Brown, Atomic Rooster and Jethro Tull).

In comparison, Steve is a lot more "traditional" in his influences, such as UFO and Genesis. That's not at all slight against him, I just think we all know what an eighteen minute long epic from Steve would probably sound like. With Bruce, I think it's possible that we're in for some strange and interesting stuff.

I agree with this. 

I'm most excited about is that there is a 4 songs where Steve has no involvement.  Two Bruce solo and two Smth/Dickinson.  Now that gets me going.  Not a knock on Steve but as you said, bodes for some variety.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #382 on: June 22, 2015, 06:27:52 PM »
Virtual XI seems like a collection of leftovers which were left over from a leftovers album.

:lol This is a beautiful description of that album.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #383 on: June 22, 2015, 06:30:51 PM »

I agree with this. 

I'm most excited about is that there is a 4 songs where Steve has no involvement.  Two Bruce solo and two Smth/Dickinson.  Now that gets me going.  Not a knock on Steve but as you said, bodes for some variety.

Exactly. Plus, as a huge fan of Bruce as a solo artist and as a songwriter in general, I'm curious to hear what are seemingly his two most ambitious songs ever (I don't think Bruce has ever single-handedly written a song that's as long as "If Eternity Should Fail," much less "Empire of the Clouds"). The fact that Bruce's songs both open and close the album bode well for how strong they are, I think. It probably took something very impressive for Steve to let Bruce take the focus away from his usual "solo-written" epic and the usual Maiden opener.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #384 on: June 22, 2015, 06:31:00 PM »
In that case, BNW contained four leftover tracks from that leftovers of a leftover album.