Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 558152 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #3150 on: November 01, 2017, 04:40:00 PM »
There's so little personal insight. Very surface.   

Yeah, that's the problem.

I'm familiar with the Iron Maiden story, but I was hoping for some insight from his point of view.

I'll finish it tonight, but this is more of a chore than a pleasure.

This was a total waste of $20.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #3151 on: November 01, 2017, 09:50:53 PM »
Haven't read the book but maybe he is planning another book once Maiden retires. Bruce Dickinson: The Maiden Years. The Maiden management camp certainly knows how to milk the fanbase. Not a shot at them, just an observation. They have pretty much made the Maiden brand very successful and profitable.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 10:18:31 AM by goo-goo »

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #3152 on: November 01, 2017, 10:40:28 PM »
I just started Robert Webb's book right afterwards and the difference is huge. Incredible writing.
Hey, another 'Peep Show' fan here! ;) I love Robert's acting and way of speaking, so for the last couple of weeks, after I learnt about the book and watched some interviews with him promoting it, I've toyed with the idea of getting it.

What on-line store would you recommend me? Anyone which ships to Argentina would be great, thanks! :)

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #3153 on: November 02, 2017, 10:12:11 AM »
His writing is very good. I bought mine from Amazon for £5 delivered but I'm in the UK so...
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3154 on: November 02, 2017, 11:33:03 AM »
Just finished listening to the audio book. Thought it was very entertaining from start to finish. Can't say I was overly interested in the fencing parts but I enjoyed listening to Bruce speak about flying (it's really encouraged me to think about learning to fly again) and his musical career.

As for the style of writing, I thought it was written in the same manner as he speaks. And since I listened to the audio book, as I said, it didn't strike me as remotely odd.

He was critical of some aspects of Iron Maiden, for those wishing to read a little dirt - the cover of Dance of Death and the general quality of the same album spring immediately to mind - but he was never going to shit in his own bed, was he?
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #3155 on: November 02, 2017, 12:28:47 PM »
shame to hear the negative comments about the book.  Last night i went to his talk and signing in LA and he was hilarious with some great stories.  especially when it came to the Q&A part and he treated us to a performance of the William Tell Overture played on his face  :lol
In the end even if the book isn't great, it was worth the price just to get to meet the man and have him sign the book, truly an awesome experience  :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3156 on: November 02, 2017, 12:35:49 PM »
Thats awesome you got to see him, and I agree it's kind of a bummer to hear the negative reviews of the book, but mine just arrived.  I'll bring it with me on my work trip next week when I'll have alone time for reading.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3157 on: November 02, 2017, 03:09:16 PM »
Your negative comments are disappointing Tim.  I won't get around to getting this for a while but was hoping for something pretty special.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3158 on: November 02, 2017, 08:07:00 PM »
Your negative comments are disappointing Tim.  I won't get around to getting this for a while but was hoping for something pretty special.

Yeah Kade, I'm sorry. It's probably just me. You'll probably love it! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #3159 on: November 02, 2017, 09:37:23 PM »
I've started it, I'm enjoying it so far but I can see where it would draw criticisms.

Definitely wouldn't say Bruce is a bad writer, but this is what a first draft looks like.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3160 on: November 03, 2017, 12:52:25 AM »

Yeah Kade, I'm sorry. It's probably just me. You'll probably love it! :lol

Why is everyone implying all the comments are negative? Didn't anyone read mine?! :lol
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #3161 on: November 03, 2017, 11:26:30 AM »
His writing is very good. I bought mine from Amazon for £5 delivered but I'm in the UK so...
Thanks! Might try getting it from Amazon. (I believe they are about to start shipping to my country)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3162 on: November 06, 2017, 09:34:32 AM »
I've started it, I'm enjoying it so far but I can see where it would draw criticisms.

Definitely wouldn't say Bruce is a bad writer, but this is what a first draft looks like.

I'm about 25% of the way in; I see where some of the criticisms are coming from but I respectfully think that some of them are pretty harsh.  This is Bruce.  It's cheeky, and some of the references/inferences are pretty oblique, but there's content in there, and there are messages to be inferred from the text.  This is not the Heroin Diaries.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3163 on: November 06, 2017, 09:43:08 AM »

I'm about 25% of the way in; I see where some of the criticisms are coming from but I respectfully think that some of them are pretty harsh.  This is Bruce.  It's cheeky, and some of the references/inferences are pretty oblique, but there's content in there, and there are messages to be inferred from the text.  This is not the Heroin Diaries.

Yea I just started my reading yesterday while traveling and I am enjoying it so far.  I would say the writing isn't great, but it gets the point across just fine.  The story of getting kicked out of private school is pretty good.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #3164 on: November 06, 2017, 11:05:29 AM »
Well I’ve gotten to the point where they recorded Number of the Beast and I’m loving it! The rambly style took some getting used to but there are some amazing insights and stories. As suspected, there’s nothing new in here about Maiden so far, so I hope he doesn’t spend too much time on them.

There are some interesting remarks though, such as him saying that he recorded vocal overdubs on 4 live tracks that Paul sang. We’ve all heard Remember Tomorrow, is there an entire Maiden Japan with Bruce on vocals somewhere? That would include Innocent Exile which was only played with Bruce at a few gigs.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #3165 on: November 06, 2017, 01:14:34 PM »
There are some interesting remarks though, such as him saying that he recorded vocal overdubs on 4 live tracks that Paul sang. We’ve all heard Remember Tomorrow, is there an entire Maiden Japan with Bruce on vocals somewhere? That would include Innocent Exile which was only played with Bruce at a few gigs.

I'd absolutely love to hear that if that's the case. It's probably sitting in some vault gathering dust somewhere.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #3166 on: November 06, 2017, 01:18:26 PM »
I was screwing around on a site that had some old play station 1 roms on it, and I ran across a game that came out in the late 90's called PowerSlave. I read a description for it, and the game is based in Egypt, and you have to battle a resurected pharoa at one point. My jaw dropped. It sounded like copywrite infringement in the most blatant sense of its definition to me. Has anyone played this game, or know more about it?
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3167 on: November 06, 2017, 01:43:20 PM »
I was screwing around on a site that had some old play station 1 roms on it, and I ran across a game that came out in the late 90's called PowerSlave. I read a description for it, and the game is based in Egypt, and you have to battle a resurected pharoa at one point. My jaw dropped. It sounded like copywrite infringement in the most blatant sense of its definition to me. Has anyone played this game, or know more about it?

I'd say that it may have been influenced by the Powerslave album's imagery, but there's no infringement.  I doubt Maiden own a trademark on the word (Powerslave) and they certainly don't have a trademark on ancient Egyptian themes.

The only way there could be any sort of infringement would be if the game used Maiden's music without licensing it from them.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3168 on: November 06, 2017, 03:24:57 PM »
He just wrote about buying an amplifier cabinet that had speakers and refereed to them as "slaves, powerslaves, in fact."

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3169 on: November 06, 2017, 03:37:00 PM »
It's not as bad as that antivirus software, which used this as their jingle: "won't you come into my ROM, I wanna show you all malwares!!!"

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3170 on: November 07, 2017, 01:03:49 AM »
It's not as bad as that antivirus software, which used this as their jingle: "won't you come into my ROM, I wanna show you all malwares!!!"

:lol
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #3171 on: November 10, 2017, 06:30:14 AM »
Maiden's new live concert film is streaming for free this weekend on YouTube from nSaturday night at 7pm GMT!
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #3172 on: November 10, 2017, 07:23:40 AM »
Maiden's new live concert film is streaming for free this weekend on YouTube from nSaturday night at 7pm GMT!

Cool - I must set a reminder to watch that.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3173 on: November 11, 2017, 12:08:21 PM »
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3174 on: November 11, 2017, 12:43:25 PM »
Got the youtube channel on my 70" screen! :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3175 on: November 11, 2017, 01:05:03 PM »
Bruce was AMAZING on this tour.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3176 on: November 11, 2017, 01:15:34 PM »
What a treat to see them playing in Trieste's central square! Google it, Piazza Unità d'Italia - Trieste, it's beautiful, and directly on the sea. Luckily they played my hometown, Milan, but I would have wanted to go to Trieste just to see them in that square.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3177 on: November 11, 2017, 01:29:50 PM »
Just in time for Blood Brothers.  :tup
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3178 on: November 11, 2017, 01:31:15 PM »

I noticed that if you click on the red line of the time, you can go back to whichever part of the stream you want. Did that for the intro, I missed it 'cause I was dining.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3179 on: November 11, 2017, 01:35:52 PM »

Jannick's solo is  :hefdaddy

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #3180 on: November 11, 2017, 01:55:40 PM »
Enjoyed it but it’s another Steve Harris trademarked epilepsy inducing edit 😱

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3181 on: November 11, 2017, 02:01:43 PM »
He wasn't listed as the editor. Not as bad as they've done, but I definitely did not enjoy the edit.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3182 on: November 11, 2017, 03:29:34 PM »
Did you watch until the very end? there's sorta of a "post credits Marvel scene" with Eddie not wanting to go back in the box after the show, then a clip of Bruce saying that this is the last chapter of the Book of Souls and it closes. Then there's a short animation which leaves the 13.11.17 date on screen.

Next monday we get tour dates!!!!!  :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3183 on: November 11, 2017, 03:52:26 PM »
Yes, I saw both.   :metal

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #3184 on: November 11, 2017, 04:40:10 PM »
Wasn't able to watch, but why the hell aren't they releasing this as a DVD if they have it filmed and edited? Would love that way more than just a live cd