Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 567425 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #2975 on: July 21, 2017, 01:10:06 PM »
cram, Stadler this is the place I was considering going before Maiden on Saturday.

https://www.threesbrewing.com/at-threes/

A brewery that also has guest taps, wines, and cocktails. The butcher that run the food program in their kitchen is pretty damn good too. It's walking distance to Barclays, but not so close that it gets overly swamped ahead of events in my previous experiences.

Looks fine to me, I think it's very unlikely I have more than a beer for the entire day.  I'll probably just be drinking my typical vodka clubs, my body doesn't take beer well anymore it seems.

Sounds good to me.   We're coming down that morning (my friend wants to look up a relative in Brooklyn, about eight blocks from the arena) so we're open.

Hey guys, any idea on a time to meet up?  I'll be around and likely bored that afternoon so I'm good for whatever, but my friend who is meeting me is trying to figure out what time to show up as well.  Doors for tonight (and I assume for tomorrow as well) are at 6pm and Ghost goes on at 7:30, Maiden at 8:50.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2976 on: July 21, 2017, 02:45:20 PM »
cram, Stadler this is the place I was considering going before Maiden on Saturday.

https://www.threesbrewing.com/at-threes/

A brewery that also has guest taps, wines, and cocktails. The butcher that run the food program in their kitchen is pretty damn good too. It's walking distance to Barclays, but not so close that it gets overly swamped ahead of events in my previous experiences.

Looks fine to me, I think it's very unlikely I have more than a beer for the entire day.  I'll probably just be drinking my typical vodka clubs, my body doesn't take beer well anymore it seems.

Sounds good to me.   We're coming down that morning (my friend wants to look up a relative in Brooklyn, about eight blocks from the arena) so we're open.

Hey guys, any idea on a time to meet up?  I'll be around and likely bored that afternoon so I'm good for whatever, but my friend who is meeting me is trying to figure out what time to show up as well.  Doors for tonight (and I assume for tomorrow as well) are at 6pm and Ghost goes on at 7:30, Maiden at 8:50.

I've got a thing in the city in the afternoon, was planning on Ubering over from the LES and getting there like 5:30-6. Don't particulary care about catching Ghost's set again.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2977 on: July 21, 2017, 07:06:56 PM »
My buddy and I will be there mid afternoon.   Love to meet up!   

Really excited for this show.  More than I thought I would be.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2978 on: July 21, 2017, 10:04:09 PM »
Definitely the best IM show I've been to.  The crowd was wild up front and there were so many people from other countries who came out for it.  It's so hot out, the place was a sweatshop, bruce was drenched, we all were drenched.  It was great.  Made a few friends, one guy approached me "Hey you were at the Delain concert?!" and we hung out in the pit together  :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2979 on: July 23, 2017, 02:41:02 PM »
So weekend is about over and I'm exhausted from this insanely fun weekend with Iron Maiden in Brooklyn.  I thought my previous experiences could not be topped, especially after seeing them twice on this tour already, but I think it was, or at least is up there with the best Maiden concert experiences.  Had a nice meet up yesterday with Stadler and Axeman.  Shooting the shit with drinks and Maiden on the bar speakers at Montrose was really cool.  Quite a few babes (models  :lol) were chilling too  :yarr  Once we got in we all were seperated, but I was also with my friend who wasn't there last night so he got the awesome experience.  During Ghost's set we grabbed some food and beer and while walking back to the seats I just lead my buddy past the security guard who was clearly not paying attention.  We weren't anywhere crazy, just in the seats sort of behind the set.  No one was near us.  The cool part of this (we watched an entire song from here before security asked us to leave  :lol) was Papa came backstage during a guitar solo and had a drink, then came back out and worked the crowd.  I feel like no one could have seen that besides us from our viewpoint (it's also in my video). We actually ended up meeting with those girls again from the bar in the pit between sets.  Just another story of meeting cool people at concerts.  Iron Maiden was awesome, they were definitely more loose being the final night of the tour.  I'd say the first night was better by far in terms of crowd participation up front, there were quite a few mosh pits but I don't recall seeing any the second night.  There were quite a few awesome things that happened which made the night fun and unique (on top of the back area sneaking).    Bruce tried to feed Dave a banana, to which Dave finally excepted just for it to fall out of the peel  :lol and towards the end of the set, Bruce started taking his clothes off and throwing them into the crowd.  He started with his jacket during The Book of Souls, he wrapped the heart in the jacket and tossed the whole thing.  Later he then threw his wifebeater, his cargo pants, his socks, and his boots all into the crowd and left the stage at the end of the evening in just his boxers  :lol He also mentioned they would be back next year  :metal :metal

Anyway, I got a lot of video from the past two nights and spent my day putting it together.  Decided to name it "Maiden Brooklyn" being this was actually the first time they played in Brooklyn in quite some time, plus it seemed like a somewhat significant set of concerts being the last time they'll likely play many of these songs.   

Maiden Brooklyn- Iron Maiden & Ghost Live at Barclays Center Brooklyn NY 7/21-22/17

And some pics...

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2980 on: July 23, 2017, 02:50:00 PM »
They'll be back next year? interesting.

With yet another round for The Book of Souls very unlikely, and no history tour in sight, are they already planning a new album? or they'll come up with a "Whatever, we want to tour some more" kind of tour, like the Gimme the Ed tour?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2981 on: July 23, 2017, 03:03:21 PM »
Awesome video Cram! Awesome.  :metal

I can totally relate to so much in that video. Man, I miss being young! :lol

Watching a band from behind the stage is awesome. You totally see so many cool things.

Great job and thanks for putting that together. Totally appreciated and it won't be the last time I watch it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2982 on: July 23, 2017, 03:10:07 PM »
Thanks TAC  :metal

They'll be back next year? interesting.

There's a rumors thread on the fan club forum with them doing as you said, another sort of Gimme Ed tour with just songs from throughout their history.  I was surprised when he said they were coming back so soon though, that same thread also said the tour might not include NA, but who knows for sure really.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2983 on: July 23, 2017, 03:15:10 PM »
On maidenfans, people are guessing it would be a Legacy Of The Beast sort of thing.

Hey Marc, one of my favorite moments on your video is the shot after the show when you guys were milling around on the floor. That brought back so many memories. Found most of my concert guitar pics that way!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2984 on: July 23, 2017, 03:22:19 PM »
 :metal There was a lot of loot thrown out from the band, but I didn't even think to look for it while wondering around.  I've actually come to really enjoy watching the arena empty and then leaving when they finally ask you to.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2985 on: July 23, 2017, 03:26:46 PM »
Totally. I can't really do that anymore. I used to love to look at the empty stage, and see how fast the crew started taking it apart.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2986 on: July 23, 2017, 03:48:26 PM »
I've had Death or Glory in my head since the show last night :metal
Photobucket sucks.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2987 on: July 23, 2017, 04:28:54 PM »
Honestly I wish they would just do another album. This was the first tour since BNW that I got to see a current album tour.

There really was no DoD tour, we were in Disney when AMOLAD came to Boston, and although they toured with TFF stage, it didn't come up here, nor was it the official TFF album tour. Just a bunch of tunes and El Dorado.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #2988 on: July 23, 2017, 07:32:12 PM »
That's true. AMOLAD also didn't spend much time in the US.

I have a good feeling that Maiden will do another album this fall before touring again.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2989 on: July 23, 2017, 07:35:30 PM »
I hope you're right. But it would go against the pattern of the last 17 years!

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #2990 on: July 23, 2017, 07:38:02 PM »
It would, but the band seem unusually excited about making another album. Compare any interview promoting TBOS to the TFF interviews. With Bruce's cancer I think they realize that if they want to do another album it would be better not to put it off. They could do something similar to BNW into DoD where they did a short run with a classics setlist in between.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2991 on: July 23, 2017, 07:53:43 PM »
It truly felt like the band were enjoying themselves more than usual on this tour.
Heck, even Adrian was interacting with Jannick! ;D

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2992 on: July 24, 2017, 03:33:41 AM »
It would, but the band seem unusually excited about making another album. Compare any interview promoting TBOS to the TFF interviews. With Bruce's cancer I think they realize that if they want to do another album it would be better not to put it off. They could do something similar to BNW into DoD where they did a short run with a classics setlist in between.

I agree with this... they did not make a mystery out of their burst of creativity and the realization that the clock is ticking, I would assume they're all on the same page about wanting to do another album sooner than later.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2993 on: July 24, 2017, 05:06:30 AM »
 Great pics and stories, cramx3!!! Like TAC, I´m above 40 now and while I still enjoy going to concerts, I find that my attitude during the shows are more like "ok, I´ve ticked another box now". I really enjoyed seeing Maiden twice on this tour - in Rio and Toronto - but must admit my excitement level is nowhere near what it was when I first saw them in 1992.

Anyway, I also feel like the band has a new lease of life on this tour. Like TAC said, Adrian is even interacting with Jannick. A stark contrast from when he rejoined the band in 1999 - he seemed so stiff and detached on stage!!! I´ll take whatever Maiden wants to do in 2018 - new album, new tour, new "retrospective" DVD covering the 90´s...I can´t wait!!! And I´ve made one resolution: I have a three year old daughter who´s fascinated with Eddie - she´s seen the album covers, his appearances on stahe and also my t-shirts. The next time Maiden tours I´ll definitely bring her with me, as I think it will be the last chance of showing her something so grand live.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2994 on: July 24, 2017, 07:11:30 AM »
What an experience!   I went down with my friend - we've seen Maiden a handful of times together already, though not on this tour - and we met up with Cram, his buddy, and Axeman.   Had a couple beers, met up with some other people (the "models!") and went in.   I saw the last three songs of Ghost.  I think I get it, but it's not really my thing.  I think some of it is lost in the translation (especially the part about the "female orgasms"). 

Maiden was amazing.  I was on the floor right in front of Cram where he took the selfie (the girl on the left, to his right, was standing right next to me for most of the first half of the show, but then after a bunch of pushing my friend and I got moved up a couple of feet).

It was a little harder to hear where I was, but Bruce sounded, and looked, amazing.  He's 58 and he was in CONSTANT motion for the whole set.   I've never seen a guy - well, except him - run the length of the stage, run the length of the stage BACK, then jump ten feet to land in front of the mike then start singing his lines.  His cardio has to be off the fucking charts. 

Dave looked amused the whole show, Adrian looked happy (I have a great shot of him trying not to laugh while Bruce was wearing a monkey mask and playing with two inflatable Curious George balloons during Death Or Glory).  Jannick had one GREAT solo - during Book of Souls, I think, though it might have been Blood Brothers - but did his usual guitar swirl/tuck the guitar under his arm nonsense.  Harris was his usual momster self, as was Nicko.

Really impressed with the new stuff live.   el Barto said once that The Red And The Black was always iffy; you didn't know what you were going to get, something great or something that dragged.  At Barclay's, Night Two, we got GREAT.   The second half was all jam and it was amazing.   It was second least favorite of the new songs going in, but it was probably the best of the new songs in terms of performance. 

Stage set was cool.   Liked the "live" Eddie better than I thought I would, and LOVED the 'ead.  I have some decent video of that as well.  I'll try to upload what I can but it might take a day or so.

Bruce said more than once that they were going to be back soon, and at one point he said that they had some amazing ideas that were going to blow your mind, though he couldn't tell us right then "because he'd have to kill us".   So it seems more than just idle "See you next time, Brooklyn!" nonsense.   

Oh, I loved when Bruce threw the wife beater; before he did, he wrung it out (there was a flow of sweat from it) and after he threw it, he said "You might want to wash that one!".   All the members interacted with each other - yes, including Adrian and Jannick - and Nicko gave great hugs to Dave in particular, but I don't recall Bruce interacting much with the others or than Dave and Nicko.  Does anyone know the mood in the band now?  Is it an operation like the Stones where there are friends, but they sort of tolerate each other - especially Bruce - because he's (still) the greatest frontman in metal and they have to?

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2995 on: July 24, 2017, 07:19:39 AM »
It was a little harder to hear where I was, but Bruce sounded, and looked, amazing.  He's 58 and he was in CONSTANT motion for the whole set.   I've never seen a guy - well, except him - run the length of the stage, run the length of the stage BACK, then jump ten feet to land in front of the mike then start singing his lines.  His cardio has to be off the fucking charts. 

I'd read years ago that Bruce would rollerblade or exercise while singing the entire set for a tour.  So he's doing cardio while rehearsing and singing to ensure that he can be so active on stage and sing well at the same time.

I'm excited to see what they come up with for a new tour. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2996 on: July 24, 2017, 07:52:11 AM »
I was quite surprise to not see a whole band gathering after the concert.  Nicko, Dave, and Steve all hugged and bowed together, but the rest of the guys just kind of wandered off stage.  Considering the end of the tour, sometimes they all including crew come out for a photo or just a big thank you type of thing.  Otherwise, I thought all seemed cool together on stage.  They were very loose on night 2.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2997 on: July 24, 2017, 08:10:54 AM »

I'd read years ago that Bruce would rollerblade or exercise while singing the entire set for a tour.  So he's doing cardio while rehearsing and singing to ensure that he can be so active on stage and sing well at the same time.

I'm excited to see what they come up with for a new tour.

Speaking of rehearsals... I sometimes wonder how they do a dress rehersal for the show; do they play the entire set with the actual set built and the pyro going on? or maybe Eddie is just the business of those who lift him during Iron Maiden and the band "doesn't care" because it's not their part? does Bruce runs around the stage like a maniac in an empty hall, addressing an imaginary audience? I'd love to see how things go  :D

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2998 on: July 24, 2017, 08:47:30 AM »
Glad my fellow NYers (and those in the tri-state area) got a good show, and happy to hear Bruce sounded killer. I am convinced he simply had a cold at the show I attended. Very cool everyone. Happy folks had a good time.  :tup

p.s. fingers crossed for a new album next year. Tour would be cool, but I hope it's a full on new album and tour again. I agree, they probably realize now time is short, and better not to waste it.

Cram, Stadler, thanks for the write ups (and will check out that video later, Cram!)
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2999 on: July 24, 2017, 02:46:43 PM »
So it seems TBOS is one of those Maiden albums where my preferences vastly differ from most folks here or at Maidenfans. I'd be very content with Disc 2 + Speed of Light.

The other albums in this category:

Fear of the Dark: I like everything except FHTE and WW

Dance of Death: I like everything except GoT and Montsegur

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3000 on: July 24, 2017, 02:54:03 PM »
I Love Montesegur!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3001 on: July 24, 2017, 07:50:26 PM »
So it seems TBOS is one of those Maiden albums where my preferences vastly differ from most folks here or at Maidenfans. I'd be very content with Disc 2 + Speed of Light.

We'll get there, but for Fear... those are two of my three favorite songs from that record (though WW is a confounding song; excellent music, somewhat different for Maiden, but the lyrics... eeeesh.)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3002 on: July 24, 2017, 08:47:44 PM »

We'll get there, but for Fear... those are two of my three favorite songs from that record (though WW is a confounding song; excellent music, somewhat different for Maiden, but the lyrics... eeeesh.)

"Watcha gonna dooooo...on Monday..."  :yeahright

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3003 on: July 24, 2017, 09:00:15 PM »
Stadler completely agree with the Ghost comment. In fact one of the funniest things I've ever seen at a concert ever was Saturday night.

(In that near Borat accent of his)
"Who wants to for have an orgasm tonight!?!?"
 *Crowd roars*
 "...In the name of Satan!?!?"
 *A few people cheer*
 "Okay...Good enough..."

I thought I was going to cry I laughed so hard.

Earlier on when he said, "I want all of you go to give each other orgasm tonight Brooklyn!" I said to my buddy, ''Does he not know that like 85% of everyone here is a male heterosexual?"  :lol :lol

« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 10:00:28 AM by TempusVox »
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3004 on: July 24, 2017, 11:47:53 PM »
That's brilliant.  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3005 on: July 25, 2017, 05:57:12 AM »

I mentioned that in my comments about the show. I was amazed at Bruce. We had pretty good seats and just watching him was mind boggling. His performance was incredible.

What impressed me was that this was at the very end of the two year tour cycle, with the final two big shows in New York to follow, and he treated our show like it was the most important gig ever to him.

Seeing bands multiple times, you can pick up on energy ebbs and flows from show to show, and Bruce was off the charts.

Stage set was cool.   Liked the "live" Eddie better than I thought I would, and LOVED the 'ead.   

This was one of my favorite live Eddies.

All the members interacted with each other - yes, including Adrian and Jannick

I mentioned this as well, and it's been happening all tour long. He seemed to have spent more time on Jannick's side than he ever has.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #3006 on: July 25, 2017, 07:10:04 AM »
I enjoyed Ghost but what sucks about them is that they sound so much heavier in a live setting than studio. I enjoyed their live sound. Not much of a fan of their studio releases.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3007 on: July 25, 2017, 07:30:29 AM »
If he keeps "that" band together, I will be interested.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3008 on: July 25, 2017, 10:16:45 AM »

I mentioned that in my comments about the show. I was amazed at Bruce. We had pretty good seats and just watching him was mind boggling. His performance was incredible.

What impressed me was that this was at the very end of the two year tour cycle, with the final two big shows in New York to follow, and he treated our show like it was the most important gig ever to him.

Saturday was my 8th show this tour (including 3 in the UK). And quite honestly, they brought that same energy every show.
Maiden is like the McDonald's of metal. Or better put, Henry Ford would be proud of these guys. Every last detail is nailed down to a science, and repeated over and over and over again. Stage sets, outfits, physical stunts..it's all precise, rehearsed, and the same. Every fan in every city gets the same experience-Just like fast food, in the sense that a burger in Salt Lake City is the same as a burger in Buffalo and the same as a burger in Tampa Bay-and Maiden brings it and leaves it all on the stage floor night after night.
 There are exceptions of course and moments of spontaneity, but they are a machine. And one of the reasons they are so good at it is that they truly love doing it. It shows, night after night. I have never been to a bad Maiden concert. What was so special on Saturday was the fact that you know they are exhausted, it's the end of the tour, they're all anxious to go home, be with family, golf, West Ham games to attend-- and you could tell a part of them didn't want it to be over.

Can't wait to see what next year brings!  :metal
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3009 on: July 25, 2017, 10:20:58 AM »
Well said, Tempus!!! One thing I noticed, after seeing two shows on this tour, one year apart from each other, is how the whole band is rehearsed. One particular moment I like is when The Trooper starts, and Adrian, Jannick, Steve and Dave all line up as if they're doing an army formation, and advance together from Nicko's drumkit towards the edge of the stage and the amps. They do this every night, and it's so cool!!!!