Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 570921 times)

Anguyen92 and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #2870 on: July 06, 2017, 09:29:34 AM »
Ozzfest was The Early Days tour and they played an abbreviated setlist. AMoLaD was a very short US tour.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2871 on: July 06, 2017, 09:53:34 AM »
The only time I didn't love seeing Maiden live was the AMOLAD tour. We were one of the early shows so nobody knew the album, and playing the whole thing front to back absolutely sapped the life out of the arena.

I loved that show, but it was clear I was one of the few.  Had people yelling at me to sit down in the nose bleed seats.  I was livid.  Show was awesome, but the crowd really was a bummer for that show.

Sorry to hear they had an off night Samsara. I thought Bruce was in great form in NJ last month, so I'm hoping it's just a cold and not general rundown from being on the road since I'm seeing them again in Brooklyn in a few weeks :lol

And all the above here too

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2872 on: July 06, 2017, 10:04:55 AM »
Ozzfest was The Early Days tour and they played an abbreviated setlist. AMoLaD was a very short US tour.

Thank you. Yes. I wanted to see both, and I didn't. I don't think they played near me for AMoLaD, and I was pretty annoyed by it.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2873 on: July 06, 2017, 10:28:09 AM »
The only time I didn't love seeing Maiden live was the AMOLAD tour. We were one of the early shows so nobody knew the album, and playing the whole thing front to back absolutely sapped the life out of the arena.

That was the tour they were on Ozzfest, right? I would have loved to have seen that performance. I love that record. It's one of my favorites.

It may have been around the same time when they were on Ozzfest, but this was a Maiden headlining arena tour. I don't dislike the album, and the band was in good form, but not hearing any of the classics/fan favorites until the back of the set was a bit of a crowd killer.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2874 on: July 06, 2017, 11:12:41 AM »

That was the tour they were on Ozzfest, right? I would have loved to have seen that performance. I love that record. It's one of my favorites.

It may have been around the same time when they were on Ozzfest, but this was a Maiden headlining arena tour. I don't dislike the album, and the band was in good form, but not hearing any of the classics/fan favorites until the back of the set was a bit of a crowd killer.

There was an actual sigh from the crowd when Bruce said, after like 4 songs or so that they would be playing the entire album. 

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2875 on: July 06, 2017, 11:22:14 AM »

There was an actual sigh from the crowd when Bruce said, after like 4 songs or so that they would be playing the entire album.

Wow. I mean, I get it. That delicate balance of new material and old. I just happen to really like AMoLaD. But I can see how it would bother folks not as enamored with it as I am.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2876 on: July 06, 2017, 11:24:53 AM »
The irony of that tour was that, in a certain sense, the band was "lazy" about it - they couldn't decide on which songs to discard for the set, 'cause they were all worthy in their opinion, and so they figured they might as well play the entire record.

When other bands can't be bothered to put together a setlist, they play a safe greatest hits show, Iron Maiden play an entire new album  :lol
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2877 on: July 06, 2017, 11:43:46 AM »

This is why we can't have nice things. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2878 on: July 06, 2017, 12:36:51 PM »
The irony of that tour was that, in a certain sense, the band was "lazy" about it - they couldn't decide on which songs to discard for the set, 'cause they were all worthy in their opinion, and so they figured they might as well play the entire record.

When other bands can't be bothered to put together a setlist, they play a safe greatest hits show, Iron Maiden play an entire new album  :lol

:rollin

In my best Bruce Dickinson accent: "Ah, fuck those wankers, we're doin' the whole bloody thing!"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2879 on: July 06, 2017, 04:55:04 PM »
https://bravewords.com/news/bravewords-and-iron-maiden-beer-announce-trooper-bar-alliance-date-for-Toronto

They list two loacations:
1. The Tilted Kilt And Eatery
2. Jingle.Boy's!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #2880 on: July 06, 2017, 06:48:25 PM »
I never saw a bad Maiden show but my least favorite was probably TFF 2010. Great setlist and stage but nobody in the audience knew the songs so the energy level was very low.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #2881 on: July 06, 2017, 07:10:21 PM »
I never saw a bad Maiden show but my least favorite was probably TFF 2010. Great setlist and stage but nobody in the audience knew the songs so the energy level was very low.

The last time that I seen them was with Dream Theater opening, and this was my experience as well. Unfortunately, they don't come to Ohio anymore, so I haven't had the chance to see them again.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2882 on: July 06, 2017, 07:24:26 PM »
So bummed that tour didn't come here, but at least we got a kick ass DT headlining show out of it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2883 on: July 08, 2017, 12:06:12 PM »
On the couch for the day watching Maiden videos on youtube...look what just popped up!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlKzbUAZj-g

:metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2884 on: July 09, 2017, 06:36:07 AM »
 :metal

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2885 on: July 10, 2017, 08:06:24 AM »
I put a playlist together of the current setlist... man, are the Book of Souls songs kicking my ASS.    That one-two of "If Eternity Should Fail" and "Speed of Light"... I'm going to need a little power nap after that one!   Even "The Red and the Black" is working at this point (though you can have that little bass solo at the bookend; I expected better of Harry).

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2886 on: July 10, 2017, 08:15:05 AM »
I'd be fine if they skipped Death Or Glory.

Stadler, you coming to Mass or you going to Brooklyn?

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2887 on: July 10, 2017, 08:19:40 AM »
"Cliiimb like a monkeeey" :evilmonkey:
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2888 on: July 10, 2017, 08:40:18 AM »

I will be in BROOKLYN, July 22.

I have such a run, I can't remember when I had this much concert to look forward to:
Maiden, Brooklyn, July 22
Morse, Ridgefield, August Whatever (with Meet and Greet)
Portnoy, NYC, September Something   

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2889 on: July 10, 2017, 08:55:28 AM »
I just said the same thing to my wife a couple of weeks ago. Got Maiden, possibly Alice in August (though not likely because we are going to the Sox that day), UFO on Sept, DT later in the fall, and Schenker at Berklee in March. Hoping to get my picture taken with the Lynott statue next month. That's all of my favorites in on year. Something bad is going to happen next year.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2890 on: July 10, 2017, 09:04:23 AM »
Being later to the party with Maiden, but now a complete hardcore, I sat down last night and tried to pick out my favorite records. I came up with this list to start things off:

Number of the Beast
A Matter of Life and Death
Brave New World
Piece of Mind
Powerslave
Somewhere in Time

Not sure yet where everything else ranks, but I dig lists, so I figured I'd try and do my initial (top-Maiden) list and see where I got...

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2891 on: July 10, 2017, 09:20:06 AM »

I have such a run, I can't remember when I had this much concert to look forward to:

:metal :metal

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2892 on: July 10, 2017, 10:51:48 AM »

Stadler/Cram, you guys want to grab beers before the show on the 22nd?
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2893 on: July 10, 2017, 11:05:20 AM »

I'm in.  I may be with a buddy, but he's cool and will talk music with anyone at any time (and has seen Maiden I think four times already).

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2894 on: July 10, 2017, 11:34:56 AM »

I'm in.  I may be with a buddy, but he's cool and will talk music with anyone at any time (and has seen Maiden I think four times already).

Yup, I'll already be in town from the night before.  My friend is also meeting up for the concert, he came to the DT meet up at RCMH so he may be familiar although i expect him to do what he did for that show as well and show up at the end of the drinking time.

Offline Pappy

« Reply #2895 on: July 16, 2017, 08:37:33 AM »
I had tickets for the St. Louis gig this past week. Day before I got myself a herniated disc in my back and couldn't get out of bed. I've seen Ghost 3 times this past tour so I'm at piece with that but just crushed about missing Maiden.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2896 on: July 17, 2017, 12:10:13 PM »
Little late since I was on vacation last week but saw Maiden on the 9th in Lincoln, Nebraska and of course they slayed. What struck me was how old everyone is starting to look but they didn't seem to slow things down at all. I didn't get Ghost. After the absurdity of the costumes wore off after the first song I thought they were pretty awful. There a ton other bands who would have done a better job opening for Maiden.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2897 on: July 17, 2017, 12:25:04 PM »
Little late since I was on vacation last week but saw Maiden on the 9th in Lincoln, Nebraska and of course they slayed. What struck me was how old everyone is starting to look but they didn't seem to slow things down at all. I didn't get Ghost. After the absurdity of the costumes wore off after the first song I thought they were pretty awful. There a ton other bands who would have done a better job opening for Maiden.

It's funny. I fully agree with your commentary on Ghost. That said, they had LEGIONS of fans at my gig. I ended up sitting next to two guys a little older than me (they looked early 50s), and they loved Ghost and thought they were great (they had never heard of them before). I simply don't get it.

The guys in Maiden are starting to look old because well, they are.  :lol I felt my show was a little slower and less intense than in years past, and Bruce didn't have a great night. But I still had a blast. Here's hoping for a new record and tour in the next few years.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2898 on: July 17, 2017, 12:29:35 PM »
I think they're holding up pretty well. Janick I'd say is the one has aged more visibly than the others, of course he's still a madman on stage, but just looking at him he shows all the years he have and probably a couple more.

Bruce is still in good shape, just his hair in the later years took a definitive turn for the gray.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2899 on: July 17, 2017, 12:34:24 PM »
I had tickets for the St. Louis gig this past week. Day before I got myself a herniated disc in my back and couldn't get out of bed. I've seen Ghost 3 times this past tour so I'm at piece with that but just crushed about missing Maiden.

That's so unfortunate, hope for a speedy recovery.

I don't care at all for Ghost's gimmick, but I do enjoy them musically.  If I hadn't known they were essentially a hired gun backing band, I would have no idea considering how solid their performance was.

Got to be honest, there aren't that many bands out there that are as good as Ghost is for being an IM opener.  Ghost is a pretty popular band these days and some of us remember when Lauren Harris was the opener.  Also, there aren't too many touring metal acts these days that can say they are both Grammy winners touring together.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2900 on: July 17, 2017, 12:43:35 PM »
Saw them in Toronto last Saturday, and it was awesome, although I agree that Bruce's voice is starting to sound a bit tired. I met Rob Caggiano between Ghost and Maiden!!!

Here's my review of the show in Portuguese. I'm not expecting you to read it but I hope you enjoy the photos:

https://whiplash.net/materias/shows/266306-ironmaiden.html

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2901 on: July 17, 2017, 12:47:58 PM »
Nice pics!   :metal But yea, can't read it  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2902 on: July 17, 2017, 12:50:03 PM »
Awesome pics, Rodrigo! Especially the last one with Bruce alone in front of the curtain. That's is literally one of the best pics I've ever seen.

As far as Ghost goes, I may or may not see them on Wednesday. I've never heard a note of them before this tour, but the videos of their performances are amazing. Not sure what they had in place before, but these particular performers, especially the bass player, are outstanding. Other than Square Hammer and Cirice, I'm not rally into any of the other songs.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2903 on: July 17, 2017, 12:51:02 PM »

Got to be honest, there aren't that many bands out there that are as good as Ghost is for being an IM opener.  Ghost is a pretty popular band these days and some of us remember when Lauren Harris was the opener.  Also, there aren't too many touring metal acts these days that can say they are both Grammy winners touring together.
Damn, just reading her named made me shudder. I got to skip Ravenage, but had to sit through her set twice. The only other good opener they've had in ages was Anthrax, and that was only for Mexico and SA. Sadly, I only go to see about the last third of Anthrax.

In any case I enjoyed Ghost a great deal. The hired guns were very good and PE is a funny guy. He implored us all to go home and celebrate the female orgasm after the show.  :lol
E.F. Benson

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2904 on: July 17, 2017, 12:52:00 PM »
I remember Lauren Harris opening. But I also remember Coheed and Cambria, which was a great opener...