Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 569571 times)

devieira73 and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #2520 on: April 12, 2017, 03:23:13 PM »
I've decided I don't really care about the rest of their discography.  :lol  But I really like a lot of what I have, so I'm good.  :)

EDIT:  And in case anyone asks, I have Killers (which I don't really care for) through Seventh Son (which I also don't really care for, but I like pretty much everything in between) and all the reunion era albums. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2521 on: April 12, 2017, 03:29:51 PM »
I like the X factor, but I get it if you wanted to avoid those 4 albums between 7th and BNW. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2522 on: April 12, 2017, 03:33:26 PM »
It's not that I actively want to avoid them so much as just not being interested and not having the time nor the budget to waste on things I'm not overly interested in at the expense of other things.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #2523 on: April 12, 2017, 03:53:25 PM »
What do you have left?

Haven't heard anything from No Prayer - Final Frontier except for 2 random songs.

I own the first 7 albums and Book of Souls and I know those albums like the back of my hand.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #2524 on: April 12, 2017, 04:00:36 PM »
What do you have left?

Haven't heard anything from No Prayer - Final Frontier except for 2 random songs.

I own the first 7 albums and Book of Souls and I know those albums like the back of my hand.

If nothing else, definitely get the rest of the reunion era albums. You can't miss with any of them.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2525 on: April 13, 2017, 03:02:40 AM »
For me 'No Prayer' is quite an underrated album.  It's not one of their best albums by a long shot - however for me it is far and away the best of the four 90's albums.   It's fairly throwaway and a fun album, nothing on it outstays it's welcome - whereas those other 90's album have a lot of boring material on them.  I'd rank it above a couple of their other albums as well.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2526 on: April 13, 2017, 06:18:56 AM »
No Prayer deserves the flak it gets. It's easily the worst Bruce/Maiden album. Fear Of The Dark was a huge step up.

I get the stripped down approach they did, but the songs are just not strong enough as a whole. A lot to like on it though, for sure.
I wish Public Enema #1 had a different title because it totally overshadows an actual pretty good tune.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2527 on: April 13, 2017, 06:33:38 AM »
No Prayer deserves the flak it gets. It's easily the worst Bruce/Maiden album.

This.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2528 on: April 13, 2017, 06:40:08 AM »
I've decided I don't really care about the rest of their discography.  :lol  But I really like a lot of what I have, so I'm good.  :)

EDIT:  And in case anyone asks, I have Killers (which I don't really care for) through Seventh Son (which I also don't really care for, but I like pretty much everything in between) and all the reunion era albums.

Dude, have you heard Judas Be My Guide from Fear of the Dark?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY-l0kCLh5Q

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2529 on: April 13, 2017, 06:42:34 AM »

Dude, have you heard Judas Be My Guide from Fear of the Dark?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY-l0kCLh5Q

My favourite track off that album.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2530 on: April 13, 2017, 06:43:41 AM »
Yup, definitely one of the better tracks.  I still think most of the album is very weak though.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2531 on: April 13, 2017, 06:56:15 AM »
Killers (which I don't really care for)

HAHA, you kill me.  That's funny.  it's a joke, right?  Like April Fool's Month or something?  Right?  Right?

(I'm kidding, but Killers is an amazing album; not no. 1, for me, because that's a Dickinson album, but certainly no. 2, and worst case, no. 3.   My friend Jim, with whom I'm going to see them in July, considers it his favorite album of all time.)  The thing about Killers for me is, there are no duff tracks.  No "Gangland", no "Quest For Fire".   It's unique for me, because I actually prefer the deeper tracks to the ones that always get played live (Wrathschild or Innocent Exile fight to be my least favorite song on the record).

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2532 on: April 13, 2017, 07:07:03 AM »
Another Life  :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2533 on: April 13, 2017, 07:16:26 AM »
I really wish the US got the full setlist from the 2005 tour where they performed some of those deep cuts from Killers.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2534 on: April 13, 2017, 07:17:21 AM »
I really wish the US got the full setlist from the 2005 tour where they performed some of those deep cuts from Killers.

There's a great bootleg from Toronto that has a headlining setlist. Let me know if you need a copy.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 07:24:15 AM by TAC »

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2535 on: April 13, 2017, 08:26:14 AM »
Some of us did.  :hat
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2536 on: April 13, 2017, 08:26:55 AM »

There's a great bootleg from Toronto that has a headlining setlist. Let me know if you need a copy.
There's also the Ulevi DVD.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2537 on: April 13, 2017, 08:29:17 AM »
Some of us did.  :hat

Rub it in why dont ya!

And yea that Ullevi show was sick

Offline 425

« Reply #2538 on: April 15, 2017, 10:03:39 AM »

Bosk, if you're a fan of the reunion era, which I recall being the case, and if you haven't done this already, you might at least listen to a couple of X Factor tracks to see if you like the general vibe and Blaze's voice. That album is definitely not for everyone, and if you said "I don't like the tone" or "I don't like Blaze," then I would completely understand. But that album is basically the first prototype for the proggy stuff they would do in the reunion era, and it's one of my personal favorites

If you have Rock in Rio, though, you already have almost all the absolutely essential songs from the 90s: Sign of the Cross, The Clansman and Fear of the Dark. The only other one from the 90s that I'd say is definitely worth checking out even if you ignore the albums is Afraid to Shoot Strangers.

From the debut album, you might like Remember Tomorrow (I assume you already have Live After Death and thus The Phantom of the Opera). Beyond those two, if you're not a Killers fan, you can safely assume you're not missing anything spectacular.

I totally agree with you on Killers, by the way. It's one of my least favorite Maiden albums and it doesn't really do much for me. I rarely listen to it.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2539 on: April 15, 2017, 10:14:34 AM »

Awesome. Sounds like you have all of the essentials. No need to be a completist.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2540 on: April 15, 2017, 10:20:57 AM »
The X Factor would be a good purchase at some point.  ;)

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2541 on: April 15, 2017, 11:03:26 AM »
The X Factor would be a good purchase at some point.  ;)

Thats a major grower when it comes to albums, but it is excellent.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2543 on: April 16, 2017, 05:35:29 AM »
What a guy!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2544 on: April 16, 2017, 05:37:57 AM »
Just when I thought I couldn't respect him anymore than I already do. He's amazing

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2545 on: April 21, 2017, 08:23:50 AM »

Bosk, if you're a fan of the reunion era, which I recall being the case, and if you haven't done this already, you might at least listen to a couple of X Factor tracks to see if you like the general vibe and Blaze's voice. That album is definitely not for everyone, and if you said "I don't like the tone" or "I don't like Blaze," then I would completely understand. But that album is basically the first prototype for the proggy stuff they would do in the reunion era, and it's one of my personal favorites

If you have Rock in Rio, though, you already have almost all the absolutely essential songs from the 90s: Sign of the Cross, The Clansman and Fear of the Dark. The only other one from the 90s that I'd say is definitely worth checking out even if you ignore the albums is Afraid to Shoot Strangers.

Yeah, I like all the songs you mention.  And Man on the Edge is okay too.  Part of it is, I don't care for Blaze's voice.  Not a bad singer, but just don't care for it.  And some of the production values and arrangements on songs kill them for me.  But I have liked the live Bruce versions of songs.  And Afraid to Shoot Strangers is pretty good too.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2546 on: April 21, 2017, 08:58:34 AM »
Futureal is another of my favorite Maiden songs of the 90s. I think Bruce only sang it a few times but the one version I heard Bruce sing, he did an excellent job.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2547 on: April 21, 2017, 09:01:49 AM »
He sang it on the entire Ed Hunter reunion tour of 1999, then it was not kept for Brave New World's tour the following year.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2548 on: April 21, 2017, 09:07:00 AM »
There's a recording of it live with Bruce on Eddie's Archive (Maybe best of the b-sides?) which is pretty solid.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2549 on: April 21, 2017, 02:57:27 PM »
There's a recording of it live with Bruce on Eddie's Archive (Maybe best of the b-sides?) which is pretty solid.

Yeah, that's the copy that I have.  That Eddie's Archives set is fantastic.  I paid way too much for it, but it has so many cool tunes on it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2550 on: April 21, 2017, 03:11:56 PM »
The Ed Hunter reunion tour was SO AWESOME!!!

Online MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2551 on: April 21, 2017, 03:30:41 PM »
The Ed Hunter reunion tour was SO AWESOME!!!
That tour was the first time I watched Maiden and actually the only time i've seen Maiden indoors. They usually visit during summer over here which is nothing wrong with however you always get a better visual experience indoors of the stageshow with lights and everything. The sound is usually better compared to a big arena where the sound bounces all over the place.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 03:53:38 PM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2552 on: April 21, 2017, 03:32:49 PM »
What was so great was that it was it was a theater tour. Really felt intimate. One of my favorite Maiden shows.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2553 on: April 21, 2017, 05:11:01 PM »
Yea, those bootlegs looked like they played in smaller venues and that tour had a killer setlist.  I wasn't a fan yet though

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2554 on: April 21, 2017, 05:14:33 PM »
Eddie's Archive was worth ever cent IMO, until they released the cd's seperately!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.