Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 568918 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #2485 on: March 23, 2017, 07:12:20 PM »
I don't like Eternity as much as you do Kade, but it has grown on me. But yes, the title track, TRATB, and Empire are amazing. But overall, it just doesn't feel as strong as their other albums. There are at least three better Reunion albums than TBOS.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2486 on: March 23, 2017, 07:16:26 PM »
I don't like Eternity as much as you do Kade, but it has grown on me. But yes, the title track, TRATB, and Empire are amazing. But overall, it just doesn't feel as strong as their other albums. There are at least three better Reunion albums than TBOS.

I'm finding it hard to rank.  When it first came out I thought it might top all other reunion albums but now it could be near the bottom, which is weird because it feels wrong doing that.  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #2487 on: March 23, 2017, 07:17:01 PM »
It's not the best of the reunion era, but that would be a tall order. The band has been absolutely amazing in the quality of their output since the reunion.

On a side note: I'd be willing to consider giving up a limb or two to see them perform EotC live. That song is simply incredible!
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2488 on: March 23, 2017, 07:19:20 PM »

I'm finding it hard to rank.  When it first came out I thought it might top all other reunion albums but now it could be near the bottom, which is weird because it feels wrong doing that.  :lol

It's a lot like Dance Of Death, where they blew their load on a handful of tunes and realized they still had half an album to go.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2489 on: March 23, 2017, 07:19:26 PM »
It's not the best of the reunion era, but that would be a tall order. The band has been absolutely amazing in the quality of their output since the reunion.

On a side note: I'd be willing to consider giving up a limb or two to see them perform EotC live. That song is simply incredible!

:lol Woah, settle down there mate!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2490 on: March 23, 2017, 07:20:13 PM »

It's a lot like Dance Of Death, where they blew their load on a handful of tunes and realized they still had half an album to go.

I think you're bang on.  It's so long too, feels longer now than what it did when it came out also.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2491 on: March 23, 2017, 07:25:17 PM »
I'll tell you what is awesome about TBOS though. Bruce ! :hefdaddy
He OWNS this album.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2492 on: March 23, 2017, 07:28:36 PM »
Such an incredible performance indeed.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2493 on: March 23, 2017, 07:30:17 PM »
Especially considering his health issues.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2494 on: March 24, 2017, 02:05:32 AM »
First time I heard The Book of Souls it felt to me like a collective solo albums of all Maiden members, it really felt fresh and different, even though all the usual trademarks are there.

I still love it and I stand in awe at Bruce's genius in conjuring up such a monumental track as Empire of the Clouds. I remember the first time I was listening to it, I saw the song was at the 15 minutes mark and I was like "What, only three minutes to go?" fastest and most pleasant 18 minutes of my life.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #2495 on: March 24, 2017, 03:30:29 AM »

I understand where you're coming from. The initial excitement faded pretty quickly for me, but I still really like those songs mentioned, with exception of TRATB. I really don't like this one at all - for me the repetition fatigue sets in really quickly. It's a "skipper"..

Empire is super - great story and drama, and something fresh. I just feel that a little bit of trimming or tightening up could have brought it from a 9/10 to a 10/10.

For the next one, I would love for the guys to work with a new producer, who would move them out of their comfort zone and challenge them into creating a really solid, great sounding album. I'm not a fan of the dry, 'live' sound, especially on the vocals. I can't really see much changing at this stage though..

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2496 on: March 24, 2017, 03:35:25 AM »
Empire is super - great story and drama, and something fresh. I just feel that a little bit of trimming or tightening up could have brought it from a 9/10 to a 10/10.

They actually did. I remember reading it was around 21 minutes and they trimmed some fat.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #2497 on: March 24, 2017, 04:18:36 AM »

:lol Woah, settle down there mate!

Well, I do exaggerate, but I do really like the song a lot. It would be a shame if they never performed it live.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2498 on: March 24, 2017, 05:34:34 AM »
I really do wish they'd piss Shirley off for an album.  I'd love to see Birch back and do just one more album with them.  Dreaming here but imaging that!?  :hefdaddy

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2499 on: March 24, 2017, 05:37:02 AM »
Yea, I'll agree that tBoS has not aged as well, but it's still fantastic.  I probably put it middle of the reunion era.  I can't believe I am going to get to see the show 3 more times.  I thought last year might be my only shot.  The performance of the song tBoS is so amazing.  They really should find a way to do a performance of Empire of the Clouds, maybe not in a live setting if that's too much for them, but even in a studio or something.  That song is too good to just place on a record and ignore for eternity.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #2500 on: March 24, 2017, 07:10:40 AM »
Don't they have that guy that plays keyboards back stage - Michael Kenny? I'm sure he could easily handle the piano parts on Empire.

It's maybe because of the length, that they would have to lose a few regular songs from the setlist to accommodate it, which might upset some of the "play classics" brigade..

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2501 on: March 24, 2017, 07:23:05 AM »
It's maybe because of the length, that they would have to lose a few regular songs from the setlist to accommodate it, which might upset some of the "play classics" brigade..

I believe that's the exact reason.  In 18 minutes they can play one song or 3-4 classic/shorter songs. 

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2502 on: March 24, 2017, 07:27:03 AM »
It's the explanation they've actually given, it's too long and too one-of-a-kind and it would have dominated too much the setlist and the show. It would have been all about that song, so they chose to not play it.

I assume they've given some thought about it however, I remember Dave Murray (or it was Nicko?) being open to the idea.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2503 on: March 24, 2017, 11:54:07 AM »
I really do wish they'd piss Shirley off for an album.  I'd love to see Birch back and do just one more album with them.  Dreaming here but imaging that!?  :hefdaddy

I wish everyone would piss Shirley off for a while. I'm not digging this low fi sound he seems yo prefer these days. I've said before though that I've never loved a Maiden production yet.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2504 on: April 12, 2017, 11:33:35 AM »
"The good that men do is oft interred with their bones.  But the evil that men do lives on...  ARE YOU READY BRAZIL???"  :metal
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2505 on: April 12, 2017, 12:03:36 PM »

I wish everyone would piss Shirley off for a while. I'm not digging this low fi sound he seems yo prefer these days. I've said before though that I've never loved a Maiden production yet.

Well, that's the case for me; why piss off Shirley and go back to Birch?  Martin Birch was amazing - those records have such an immediate sound - but other than the denseness, which I attribute to the three guitarists more than anything, I don't see a vast difference between the Birch albums and the Shirley albums.  It's not like the difference between say, Chris Kimsey or Trevor Horn and Mutt Lange. 

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #2506 on: April 12, 2017, 12:08:05 PM »
The production is as the band wants it to be. It doesn't matter who produces the albums.

The only album that got out of control in the modern era is Dance of Death, and that's only because it was messed with by the record company after the band submitted it.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2507 on: April 12, 2017, 12:10:37 PM »
Agreed that DoD is the only album that doesn't sound that great.  I have no issues with Shirley's work with IM personally.

Also, any chance Iron Maiden films a show on the last two legs of the tour?  It would be a shame to not get a live release from this tour.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2508 on: April 12, 2017, 12:11:50 PM »
Agreed that DoD is the only album that doesn't sound that great.  I have no issues with Shirley's work with IM personally.

Also, any chance Iron Maiden films a show on the last two legs of the tour?  It would be a shame to not get a live release from this tour.

I heard they're going to film the Brooklyn show.  :)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2509 on: April 12, 2017, 12:17:47 PM »

I heard they're going to film the Brooklyn show.  :)

*Cram has a heart attack with this news and misses the show*

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2510 on: April 12, 2017, 12:20:05 PM »
The production is as the band wants it to be. It doesn't matter who produces the albums.

The only album that got out of control in the modern era is Dance of Death, and that's only because it was messed with by the record company after the band submitted it.

Do tell; what did they do?   

None of the maiden albums is really off the reservation in terms of sound (though the first one does have a way different feel than the rest of the catalogue) but I don't here a tremendous difference with DoD.  The one album that is sort of muddy is No Prayer, but I always thought that was because Harris's studio wasn't up to snuff. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2511 on: April 12, 2017, 12:23:30 PM »
 :lol

I need revenge for not getting my face on the Flight 666 dvd during Rime (I was right up front but never on camera!!)

I haven't heard anything of substance on the Iron Maiden fan club forum, but the Brooklyn shows make sense, end of tour, back to back nights.  But they also have back to back nights in London so that would make sense too.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #2512 on: April 12, 2017, 12:32:15 PM »

None of the maiden albums is really off the reservation in terms of sound (though the first one does have a way different feel than the rest of the catalogue) but I don't here a tremendous difference with DoD.  The one album that is sort of muddy is No Prayer, but I always thought that was because Harris's studio wasn't up to snuff.

The band submitted the album, and someone at the record company looked at the wave levels and decided to "bump" them without notifying the band. If you listen to either of the albums that come right before or after, you can hear a big difference when compared side by side.

It all goes back to the loudness war topic that's been an issue for the last 20 years, or so.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2513 on: April 12, 2017, 12:47:25 PM »
I didn't know that story, but DoD is definitely louder to my ears and sounds over produced to me.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2514 on: April 12, 2017, 01:38:10 PM »

The band submitted the album, and someone at the record company looked at the wave levels and decided to "bump" them without notifying the band. If you listen to either of the albums that come right before or after, you can hear a big difference when compared side by side.

It all goes back to the loudness war topic that's been an issue for the last 20 years, or so.

That makes a lot of sense, because wasn't AMOLAD famously "not mastered"?  The liner notes may even have said that.   Which isn't technically true (the transfer from tape to digital is itself "mastering") but I think they meant that no levels were adjusted in that process. 

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2515 on: April 12, 2017, 02:05:51 PM »

I believe that's the exact reason.  In 18 minutes they can play one song or 3-4 classic/shorter songs.
Or TRatB and one other song. That's essentially the choice they have. While I liked the live version of Red/Black (the studio version not so much), EotC has far greater production value. I'd like to see them do it. However, my hunch is that the next tour is the same core setlist with 4 standards swapped around.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2516 on: April 12, 2017, 02:36:25 PM »
While I liked the live version of Red/Black (the studio version not so much)

I really thought the live performance of tRatB was amazing.  I liked the studio version more so than most here did, but the live version was so good that I'd be pissed if they took it off the setlist the next time around.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2517 on: April 12, 2017, 02:43:46 PM »
I'll be pissed too. The live clips of it are awesome.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #2518 on: April 12, 2017, 03:04:42 PM »
I've decided it's finally time for me to hear the rest of their discography.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2519 on: April 12, 2017, 03:22:25 PM »
What do you have left?