Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 557494 times)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #2415 on: February 17, 2017, 05:40:52 AM »
I can only understand Blaze being in that band due to Wolfsbane and Maiden having the same management then.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2416 on: February 17, 2017, 06:32:16 AM »
As much as I am a fan of Blaze overall, I do agree, Maiden was going to be done for good if they continued that path after Virtual XI.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2417 on: February 17, 2017, 06:41:00 AM »
I can only understand Blaze being in that band due to Wolfsbane and Maiden having the same management then.

And Blaze being british, Steve would have never allowed a foreigner in Maiden.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #2418 on: February 17, 2017, 06:47:53 AM »
Imagine if Dio had applied for the job....  :omg:
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2419 on: February 17, 2017, 06:56:44 AM »
The universe would have imploded  ;D no way he would have been able to give his own touch to Maiden like he did with Sabbath when he joined.

I wonder if in their subconscious they chose what was surely not a proper fit (I respect Blaze and his early solo albums are brilliant, but he wasn't fit for Maiden just like my beloved and much admired James LaBrie isn't fit to replace James Hetfield in Metallica) 'cause they knew deep down that sometime Bruce would have returned, so why bother with finding the second coming of Christ vocal wise.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2420 on: February 17, 2017, 06:58:35 AM »
Yo Stadler.....

Due to overwhelming demand, IRON MAIDEN have added a second night at Brooklyn’s Barclays Center on Saturday July 22nd.
Tickets go on sale Saturday February 25th at 10am via Ticketmaster.com - fanclub presale takes place on Tuesday.

Now am I going to have to go a third time?!

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2421 on: February 17, 2017, 07:30:58 AM »
I'm pretty sure I'm just going to go for a ticket for the Saturday show, gives me an opportunity to get ample pre-show drinking in around NYC.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2422 on: February 17, 2017, 07:52:57 AM »
Well I already booked a hotel for the friday night in brooklyn, looks like I'll just chill in Brooklyn for the weekend

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2423 on: February 17, 2017, 10:07:26 PM »
On the "What if they would have stuck with Paul?" argument....

I think its fun to imagine what would have became of Number of the Beast.   Because I imagine that the same words and riffs would have been written (because the writing team would not have changed), but you would just have *completely* different vocal melodies.  I'm not sure what would have happened, but it would have been interesting to hear if I could travel to an alternate time line.

The only song that is not too hard to imagine (and almost sounds like it could have been written with Paul in mind) is Invaders.  Something about the staccato delivery of the verses just sounds like something Paul would have really done well.   The others, I think, would sound extremely different.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #2424 on: February 17, 2017, 10:17:38 PM »
Well funny you bring up Invaders because in some ways it is a spiritual successor to a song called Invasion, which was one of the first songs they ever recorded but never made it on any albums. It was on their demo tape and also was the b-side for Women in Uniform (another song that never appeared on any albums).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSq1U5HWBZo

So I wouldn't be surprised if Steve was in the process of reworking that song until it finally became Invaders. They both have a similar energy and mix of aggression/melody. I always thought of all the NOTB songs, Invaders would be the most at home on Killers.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #2425 on: February 17, 2017, 10:27:34 PM »
The only song that is not too hard to imagine (and almost sounds like it could have been written with Paul in mind) is Invaders.  Something about the staccato delivery of the verses just sounds like something Paul would have really done well.   The others, I think, would sound extremely different.

There's actually a very early version of that song on the soundhouse tapes. It was a demo that the band did in '79. The song is called invasion at that point, and it might be one of the most awful things that I've ever heard in my life. At least, I've heard people say that it's what inspired Invaders. They do sound a lot different.

Edit: Me and Mosh must have been typing at the same time. Ninja'd
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2426 on: February 21, 2017, 03:29:21 AM »
Bruce doing a keynote on entrepreneurism. Pretty cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKCP_57wD5U

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2427 on: February 21, 2017, 08:20:28 AM »
Got my floor tickets for the 2nd Brooklyn show  :metal :metal

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2428 on: February 21, 2017, 10:26:54 AM »

I´m halfway through it...he´s amazing!!!!

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2429 on: February 21, 2017, 11:33:56 AM »
Damn, looks like they took the video down.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2430 on: February 21, 2017, 11:57:17 AM »
Damn, looks like they took the video down.

Yeah, I paused it for a toilet break when there were only 08 minutes left, and couldn´t finish it!!!!

Modified to add that I did manage to get this out of the lecture: "When you really want something, EVERYTHING ELSE is just a bump on the road."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2431 on: February 21, 2017, 12:10:55 PM »
"When you really want something, EVERYTHING ELSE is just a bump on the road."

:metal I'm a big believer of where there's a will, there's a way.  Pretty hard to stop a determined person.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2432 on: February 21, 2017, 12:21:05 PM »
Tell me about it, man...I´ve been hanging on to a job for months on end, just waiting for my visa to come out and move out of the country. Everyday is a bore to get here at 08am, sit around doing nothing and leaving at 5pm with the feeling of wasting my life away. But when I think that the visa should come out in April and I´ll be able to quit this job, eveyrhing is worth while.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2433 on: February 21, 2017, 12:25:36 PM »
Tell me about it, man...I´ve been hanging on to a job for months on end, just waiting for my visa to come out and move out of the country. Everyday is a bore to get here at 08am, sit around doing nothing and leaving at 5pm with the feeling of wasting my life away. But when I think that the visa should come out in April and I´ll be able to quit this job, eveyrhing is worth while.

Yea man, nothing is easy in life.  If you want something, you got to go out and get it.  Hope you get your visa soon and things improve for you.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2434 on: February 21, 2017, 03:04:55 PM »

I will definitely been watching this.  Bruce is an amazing speaker.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2435 on: February 22, 2017, 05:22:16 AM »

Yea man, nothing is easy in life.  If you want something, you got to go out and get it.  Hope you get your visa soon and things improve for you.

Thank you!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2436 on: February 27, 2017, 05:45:01 AM »
If I had to pick a personal favorite Maiden album, it would be Somewhere in time.

I just absolutely adore this album. From the killer songs to the time travel theme. I just love it

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2437 on: February 27, 2017, 06:32:47 AM »
If I had to pick a personal favorite Maiden album, it would be Somewhere in time.

I just absolutely adore this album. From the killer songs to the time travel theme. I just love it

Plus the Blade Runner album cover!

It's close with Seventh Son as my favourite Maiden album.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2438 on: March 01, 2017, 01:35:01 AM »
So at the risk of being run out of here with pitchforks :

Does anyone else think Number of the Beast is overrated?   I don't think it's a bad album at all, but in relation to the rest of Maidens discography, for me at least it's nowhere near the top.  Brilliant, no actually Iconic artwork, great couple of singles, 'Hallowed' is a masterpiece and I'd always like 'The Prisoner' but the other 4 (or 5 is you include Total Ecilpse') are pretty underwhelming with 'Invaders' and 'Gangland' actually being poor Maiden songs.

I'd put it above well above Fear of the Dark and the 2 Blaze albums (I don't really like these 3 much) - slightly ahead of Killers and about on a par with the Debut, Matter of Life and Death and No Prayer  :omg:
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 01:40:47 AM by soupytwist »

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #2439 on: March 01, 2017, 02:03:45 AM »

Does anyone else think Number of the Beast is overrated?   I don't think it's a bad album at all, but in relation to the rest of Maidens discography, for me at least it's nowhere near the top.  Brilliant, no actually Iconic artwork, great couple of singles, 'Hallowed' is a masterpiece and I'd always like 'The Prisoner' but the other 4 (or 5 is you include Total Ecilpse') are pretty underwhelming with 'Invaders' and 'Gangland' actually being poor Maiden songs.

I'd put it above well above Fear of the Dark and the 2 Blaze albums (I don't really like these 3 much) - slightly ahead of Killers and about on a par with the Debut, Matter of Life and Death and No Prayer  :omg:

(sharpens pitchfork....  :lol)

I agree about Invaders and Gangland being pretty bad, but I wouldn't say the album is overrated. It kind of established the formula for what would be the classic run of albums, so I think it's important from that point of view.

Don't think I could ever say that Children of the Damned, Run To The Hills, Beast are underwhelming. These are the songs that got me interested in Maiden to begin with.

I definitely wouldn't say it's on a par with No Prayer - I find that album pretty much unlistenable.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2440 on: March 01, 2017, 02:13:26 AM »
Well I don't agree even though it's not my top Maiden album. Invaders (has an awesome intro and verse), Children, The Prisoner, 22, The Number, Run to the, Hallowed are all great or iconic tracks. That leaves us with two tracks left, Gangland and Total Eclipse. Gangland is cool though, the Clive intro is awesome and the verses is great with a pretty catchy chorus. I love how much energy Clive has in the intro however he dosen't really keep it up though because it slows down after the intro quite a bit.  :lol

I guess the only track that is a bit meh for me is Total Eclipse then, other that that the album is killer if you ask me.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #2441 on: March 01, 2017, 02:22:26 AM »

We actually had a pretty good discussion about this very subject about a year ago(or there about). If you search back through this thread you should be able to find it. There were some people that felt the way that you do about it. Then there were others (myself included) that feel/felt that it might not be there best album, but the steps that the band made in making the album were not only greatly important to the future of the band, but to the genre as a whole.

Some of the things that would make them a great "album band" were there from the get-go. Phantom of the Opera had certain elements that would establish many of their later epics, but (as you already mentioned) Hallowed was when that aspect of the band really took off for them. For me, NotB also established a formula for the flow of the song order that the band would use for the next several albums with a big/hard hitting opener through to the epic closer.

I'm also a bit of an odd-ball in that 22 Acacia Ave is one of my favorite IM songs, and I don't see many people giving that song praise. In fact, the only songs that I see as "not up to par" on the album is Invaders and Gangland. They aren't terrible songs, but the rest of the album is that much better than them.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2442 on: March 01, 2017, 03:03:16 AM »
^^^^ Praise incoming, 22 Arcacia Ave is my favorite Maiden song. That song is fucking intense and I absolutely love it  :metal :metal

But anyway. When I was first getting into IM, I definitely felt like Number of the beast was overrated, specifically since I had heard Run to the hills and the title track a million times before even getting to the album, so I was already burned out on those songs and still am.

But then I actually started digging into the album and there is some heavy duty shit on there. Children of the damned, 22 arcacia ave and Hollowed be thy name and the prisoner are up there probably in my top 10 IM songs. Invaders, gangland and total eclipse are solid too.

So now a days, after really investing time into the album, I don't think its overrated. And if it is, I feel like it deserves that praise

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2443 on: March 01, 2017, 03:22:23 AM »
The importance it had to the band cannot be overstated, but yeah, if we forget about the context, there have been better albums from the classic line-up, it's also way too "happy", save for Children and Hallowed.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2444 on: March 01, 2017, 07:42:35 AM »

Well, I think to some degree, you had to be there.  It might be "overrated" in the sense that any ONE album that is used to classify an entire band is "overrated".  Machine Head.  Pyromania. 

But as someone who was getting into metal at that time, and had "High And Dry", and had "Maiden Japan", and "British Steel" and "Point of Entry" (which were much more...  70's), then you got "Run for your li-I-ife!" in that soaring, operatic way - something that Di'Anno just simply could not do - it was something new.   Then the epic-ness of "Woe to you oh earth and sea... for the devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short.  Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast..." then that scream...   It changed the game.   

I don't think it's Maiden's best - for me, that's Powerslave - and I have gravitated to The Prisoner and Total Eclipse over time - TE is a top ten Maiden song for me - but it brought them to a whole new level.   The Beast on the Road was the first full, epic tour by the band, and it was what cemented what we now know as the Maiden legacy.  It may be "overrated" as a stand alone album, but if you ask me, nothing that came after WOULD have came after if it wasn't for that.   

Offline Art

« Reply #2445 on: March 01, 2017, 07:56:44 AM »
Basicaly what Stadler said. While i don't think TNOTB is their best album, i think it was their big game changer, the album that turned them into a "first class act" in the metal world.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2446 on: March 01, 2017, 08:57:34 AM »
Well, I think to some degree, you had to be there.  It might be "overrated" in the sense that any ONE album that is used to classify an entire band is "overrated".  Machine Head.  Pyromania. 

But as someone who was getting into metal at that time, and had "High And Dry", and had "Maiden Japan", and "British Steel" and "Point of Entry" (which were much more...  70's), then you got "Run for your li-I-ife!" in that soaring, operatic way - something that Di'Anno just simply could not do - it was something new.   Then the epic-ness of "Woe to you oh earth and sea... for the devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short.  Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast..." then that scream...   It changed the game.   

..and this will sound like "you had to be there" but I prefer to use the term "Listening in real time".

I mean, it's easy to pick any band you are new to and line up all of their albums next to each other and pick a fave. So, if you put TNOTB next to AMOLAD, I can see why some would choose AMOLAD.

BUT...when TNOTB came out, it truly separated them from the entire NWOBHM movement. It was fresh and exciting. It was the kind of music that no one else was making, and it was both progressive (I use the term progressive to mean that it pushes a boundry of their original genre) and accessible.

For all of the glory of the NWOBHM, it produced TWO bands: Iron Maiden and Def Leppard. Sure many other bands did OK, and Saxon, while enjoying a great renaissance over the last decade, were nothing but second class citizens once Maiden and Def Lep hit it big. Both took Saxon's (and Judas Priest's) template and progressed it. Def Lep took it to a Pop direction, and Maiden took it to an arena style, epic direction.

TNOTB separated Maiden from the pack on musicianship, song writing, and performance. It made an impact and impression, that cannot be clearly seen by looking back through time. It could be argued that they refined their craft a bit on Piece Of Mind. Sure.

Kind of like Images And Words and Awake. Both albums did the same for Dream Theater as TNOTB and POM did for Maiden.

Oh, and 22 Acacia Avenue is a TAC Top 10 Maiden track!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2447 on: March 01, 2017, 10:17:07 AM »

I agreed up until you said it's on par with AMoLaD.  AMoLaD is a masterpiece.  But I didn't become an IM fan until after BNW so I don't have that relationship to the older material like some.  To me, while TNotB is a classic and piviting album for IM, I rank it closer to the bottom than the top compared to the rest.  It's a great album, IM just has a lot better albums IMO.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2448 on: March 01, 2017, 10:58:55 AM »
I like that.  "Listening in real time". 

I just know that I saw Maiden open for Priest on the Beast tour, and while they were both good, seeing Maiden - and hearing Bruce sing that shit live - changed my perception of music.  No knock on Rob - great singer - but he's not the front man that Bruce is, and I prefer Dave and Adrian to Glenn and KK. 

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #2449 on: March 02, 2017, 12:23:30 AM »
Man I still remember holding that album cover in that record store when it just came out. I just stood there and look at it in awe. 'I just HAVE to buy this!'. Then coming home and playing it for the first time..... the impact. Words just don't come close in expressing what I felt. 
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....