Author Topic: Seventh Wonder Appreciation  (Read 17131 times)

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Seventh Wonder Appreciation
« Reply #245 on: October 21, 2018, 11:36:58 PM »
:lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #246 on: October 22, 2018, 09:03:14 AM »
 :lol album really is fantastic.  Tommy shines so much on it.  But I do feel like vocals and bass are really buried in the mix which is sad since those are two of the best instruments of SW.  Regardless, it doesn't really hold the songs back, they are great.  I'm still digesting as I've been listening to a lot of other music at the moment as well, but this is up for there album of the year for sure.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #247 on: October 22, 2018, 09:30:41 AM »
My SW t-shirt and a copy of Tiara just arrived. Gonna be sporting the T-shirt at work tomorrow. :metal

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #248 on: October 24, 2018, 02:18:16 PM »
Interview with Seventh Wonder.... in Swedish. However, at the end they play Tiara's Song acoustic, lovely!

https://www.radioplay.se/rockklassiker/intervjuer?episode-id=38605 Starts at 10:17.

And yes, it is a great album!

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
    • dulcius ex asperis
« Reply #249 on: October 26, 2018, 10:09:49 AM »
Awesome album, SW through and through. Tommy’s vocals are still essentially unparalleled, and the musicianship is as fantastic as it was on TGE. I just hope that the next album won’t take quite as long to release!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #250 on: October 26, 2018, 11:44:20 AM »
Awesome album, SW through and through. Tommy’s vocals are still essentially unparalleled, and the musicianship is as fantastic as it was on TGE. I just hope that the next album won’t take quite as long to release!

Same.  Looks like they got some chart success too from the album.  I hope that Tommy's time in Kamelot has brought more fans to SW which will in turn motivate the band to be more active.  Tiara destroys the last two Kamelot albums.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #251 on: November 04, 2018, 01:35:59 AM »
So while this doesn't reach the heights of TGE for me - something there is no shame in; very few albums do - it is a great album still.

I really like how "personal" it is, not in the sense of personal to the members of the band, but more like in how it relates the events of the end of the world so strongly to seemingly mundane points in life. Case in point: Beyond Today (which is fantastic holy shit  :hefdaddy ), which frames the end of the world against stuff like graduating from school. I think this helps the whole story feel a lot more grounded, which I like.

Musically, I felt that the bass was doing more cool stuff on MF and TGE, which was the only thing I missed. The melodies and overall compositions are still sublime.

Now if the next album comes out before 2028 I'll be a happy camper. :P
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #252 on: November 06, 2018, 09:31:15 AM »
With a few more listens now under my belt, I can comfortably say that the Farewell trilogy is the high point of the album. All three songs are just perfect.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 09:42:08 AM by Scorpion »

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #253 on: November 06, 2018, 09:39:58 AM »
Probably going to be album of the year for me.  I'm still digesting but there isn't a bad track here and agreed, the Farewell trilogy is fantastic.  Tommy's voice just brings a tear to my eye at some points on this album, he's so good and I'm so annoyed he isn't louder, but I won't let that hold back my enjoyment of these songs.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #254 on: November 06, 2018, 01:10:45 PM »
Yeah, it is a stellar album. Not sure which track I love the most as of yet. I still really don't enjoy the mix though. I have relatively high tolerance for bad sounding albums, but for some reason this one bothers me quite a bit. Probably because the elements I love the most about this band are placed akwardly in the mix (rather than the elements themselves sounding bad, if that makes sense). I can hear them just fine, but it sounds very off to me.

The Japanese version also has an acoustic studio version of Tiara btw (it is on youtube).

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #255 on: November 07, 2018, 04:51:10 AM »
I keep seeing this thread title and think it's about the 1980s Patsy Kensit fronted one-hit wonders, and then I remember that they were called Eighth Wonder.

[img]https://img.discogs.com/Sxfo-jwnnMsXfgExkq3ftFTsyrk=/fit-in/439x463/filters:strip_icc():format(jpeg):mode_rgb():quality(90)/discogs-images/R-385279-1210795649.jpeg.jpg[img/]
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF's resident deceased dictator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The changing of the worrd is inevitabre!!!
« Reply #256 on: November 07, 2018, 06:08:01 AM »
I keep seeing this thread title and think it's about the 1980s Patsy Kensit fronted one-hit wonders, and then I remember that they were called Eighth Wonder.

Fix'd
I didn't know I could handle another 10 inches and it was rough but in the end I'm glad I did it.
warflwwcesfw.
That's meme-speak for "We are really f*****g lazy when we can't eve say full words".

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #257 on: November 08, 2018, 05:18:47 AM »
I took the plunge today and picked up Tiara. I like what I've heard so far; sounds right up my street. I'll look forward to spinning it later.
And you may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #258 on: November 08, 2018, 07:03:49 AM »
Oh, cheers jingle boy - I didn't even notice that hadn't worked!
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline wolfking

« Reply #259 on: November 11, 2018, 03:40:17 PM »
Just listening to this album for the first time now, and the first song was cool, but 4 songs in and I've tuned out.  Heard it all before and all just blurs together for me.  Pass.

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #260 on: November 13, 2018, 04:09:18 AM »
Just listening to this album for the first time now, and the first song was cool, but 4 songs in and I've tuned out.  Heard it all before and all just blurs together for me.  Pass.

Exactly the same! coming from a big fan of TGE. Pass.

Offline wolfking

« Reply #261 on: November 13, 2018, 04:30:20 AM »

I'm a very casual fan of SW anyway.  I own both TGE and MF and both are decent but they never really blew me away.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #262 on: November 13, 2018, 05:24:06 AM »

Me too. Been a huge Kamelot fan for like 17 years now. Tommy's work there inspired me to check out his band. Music is decent.... but nothing that stands out in my opinion, well, other than Tommy of course! 

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #263 on: November 13, 2018, 06:01:41 AM »
Y'all are crazy. :P True, this is not as good as TGE, but there are plenty of memorable melodies throughout that I find stuck in my head quite often. Especially the Farewell trilogy is stunning.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #264 on: November 13, 2018, 09:46:59 AM »
Y'all are crazy. :P True, this is not as good as TGE, but there are plenty of memorable melodies throughout that I find stuck in my head quite often. Especially the Farewell trilogy is stunning.

Yea true.  I'd say the downfall is that maybe it sounds too much like TGE, but TGE is great and it feels more like a continuation of where they left off.  There's also tons of memorable melodies so I guess it's just different tastes then.

Online Ben_Jamin

• Do a nice one for grandma
« Reply #265 on: November 23, 2018, 01:00:37 AM »
Tiara may very well be my album of the year.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

I Love You...Poppin Fresh

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #266 on: November 23, 2018, 06:38:09 AM »
My main takeaway from the album so far....they certainly like E flat minor...
And you may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"