Author Topic: Most obscure/Underrated awesome Dream Theater song.  (Read 11798 times)

Offline 425

Re: Most obscure/Underrated awesome Dream Theater song.
« Reply #70 on: March 01, 2015, 08:13:23 PM »
In fairness, I haven't heard the Awake or Images and Words demos. And I did admit that I'm sensitive to certain types of poor sound quality. But personally, I can't hear the FII demos being "not far off" from being as polished as a studio album. Just can't hear it. To me they sound pretty bad, and if I bought a studio album that sounded like they do, I'd probably return it. I can understand why some people wouldn't have a problem with them, but I cannot understand "not far off" from studio album quality.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #71 on: March 01, 2015, 11:15:54 PM »
Maybe it's just me, but the versions of "Raise The Knife", "Where Are You Now?", etc., from Cleaning Out The Closet sound infinitely more polished and better than the versions found on the FII Demos. To me, these have always been the definitive versions of those 5 FII songs, as well as "Eve", "Don't Look Past Me", and both versions of "To Live Forever". It's a shame these tracks never got a full wide-release because fans deserve to own these better-sounding versions.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #72 on: March 02, 2015, 12:26:10 AM »
In fairness, I haven't heard the Awake or Images and Words demos. And I did admit that I'm sensitive to certain types of poor sound quality. But personally, I can't hear the FII demos being "not far off" from being as polished as a studio album. Just can't hear it. To me they sound pretty bad, and if I bought a studio album that sounded like they do, I'd probably return it. I can understand why some people wouldn't have a problem with them, but I cannot understand "not far off" from studio album quality.

Yeah, you will not like the Awake demos.  :lol

The Atco demos are not too bad though, not far from the FII demos if not as good.  :D

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #73 on: March 02, 2015, 06:52:58 PM »
I'd also like to vote for the original '96 Demo version of "Take Away My Pain", such a beautiful song before it got changed.

And I'll echo sentiments towards "Eve" as well.
These. "Eve" is never appreciated enough.
Vacant, Blind Faith and Innocence Faded too.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #74 on: March 03, 2015, 05:57:06 AM »
I first heard Eve on the Dance of Eternity bootleg.  I was trying to find a studio version of it and that's when I came across The Silent Man single.  Originally, I was disappointed when I realized it didn't have the same sound bytes as the live version.  I eventually grew to love it as it was.  It's still one of those songs I put on when I want some inspiration or just to clear my mind. 

Online krands85

« Reply #75 on: March 03, 2015, 12:34:47 PM »
I've always really liked Another Won - the Score version at least. It's not one of my top 20 tracks or anything like that, but it's pretty cool and quite 'obscure' I suppose.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #76 on: March 03, 2015, 12:55:59 PM »
I've always really liked Another Won - the Score version at least. It's not one of my top 20 tracks or anything like that, but it's pretty cool and quite 'obscure' I suppose.

It's a great song, especially by early Majesty/Dream Theater standards.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: March 03, 2015, 01:05:50 PM »
I'd say Eve too... Some of the songs mentioned here are fave DT songs of a lot people.. so I am quite surprised to be honest..

On an irrelevant note.... Best thread name ever  :biggrin:  :P

Offline N4Player

« Reply #78 on: March 03, 2015, 01:14:25 PM »
Behind the Veil
In The Name Of God
Ministry Of Lost Souls

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #79 on: March 04, 2015, 09:30:30 PM »
It's not in the game? Really? Okay. This is surprising to me, although I admit I haven't actually played God of War 3 but thanks for clearing that up. What I do remember is that it was used on the title screen (where it infinitely loops) and during the sort of montage trailer during the pre-release demo (it might still be on the PSN store?). So I kinda just assumed it would have been presented in a similar style for the full game. Guess not.  :\
Would have been awesome if it was in-game tho.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline RtrooperW

« Reply #80 on: March 07, 2015, 11:29:07 AM »
I'm going with the 11+ minute  "Raise The Knife", recorded (but not released) during the FII recording sessions, the song did not make the final cut. It surfaced as a demo version for the Fan Club CD "Cleaning Out The Closet" release, as well as included in the FII Demo Series release. The best version came out of the "DT Archives" according the James, to be performed live (and recorded) for the "Score" release. Awesome and uniquely different DT song! Check it out...

Offline madscot

« Reply #81 on: March 09, 2015, 05:27:24 PM »
Eve

When I die this will be played at my funeral and everyone will cry with happiness at the brilliance of it

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #82 on: March 09, 2015, 06:39:11 PM »
I'm going with the 11+ minute  "Raise The Knife", recorded (but not released) during the FII recording sessions, the song did not make the final cut. It surfaced as a demo version for the Fan Club CD "Cleaning Out The Closet" release, as well as included in the FII Demo Series release. The best version came out of the "DT Archives" according the James, to be performed live (and recorded) for the "Score" release. Awesome and uniquely different DT song! Check it out...

Thanks for the (definitely not) news.

And welcome to DTF: home of die-hard DT fans.
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline Mladen

« Reply #83 on: March 10, 2015, 07:41:02 AM »
None of these songs are really obscure, so let's get serious.

The Way it Used to Be.  It's the best DT song that no one talks about. 

The guitar is like what would happen if The Edge, Tom Scholz, and Jimmy Page's guitar styles got together and had a child (please just nod and move on).  The drums and bass are some of the most musical stuff MP and JM have ever done.  They're never literally melodic, but they feel like it.  The keyboards are almost all background, but the tone is some of the most lush stuff DS ever played.

James LaBrie wrote the lyrics to this one.  Unlike most DT lyrics, which are philosophical, optimistic, or outwardly confrontational, this song is very nostalgic.  It's the only inkling I've seen from DT in any context wondering if they made the right life choices.

Take me back so I can see
the way it used to be

JLB doesn't sing it in a depressive way, which makes it even better.  It captures that wistfulness we all feel and indulge in.

Listen if you can.
What he said. All of it. The most truly obscure of all under-appreciated DT songs imo.
Yep, I have to go with you guys as well. Very well said, ReaPsTA.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #84 on: March 10, 2015, 12:59:32 PM »
Thanks for the (definitely not) news.
...and the info isn't completely correct either. RtK was written and demo'd during the FII writing sessions, BUT it was never recorded at The Power Station/Avatar Studios. So no, there is no other "studio" version of the song sitting in the vaults waiting to be released. And the same is true for the other 4 songs that never made the cut for FII, which is why the demos were used as B-sides and were released on the 1999 Fan Club CD "Cleaning Out the Closet". Had those songs been properly recorded, you can be sure the proper studio recordings would've been used instead.

The Way it Used to Be.  It's the best DT song that no one talks about. 

<snip>
What he said. All of it. The most truly obscure of all under-appreciated DT songs imo.
Not to nitpick, as I do agree that TWIUtB is an excellent song, but it is far from the most obscure. I'd say that honor would go to Don't Look Past Me or Where Are You Now, as TWIUtB at least was released as a B-side and a live version was on the 1998 Fan Club CD, besides appearing on Cleaning Out the Closet and the FII Demos - DLPM and WAYN only were released on Cleaning Out the Closet and their respective demo official bootlegs. Additionally, TWIUtB was performed 7 times live (I know, not many) in comparison to WAYN (3 times) and DLPM (never).
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #85 on: March 10, 2015, 07:27:40 PM »

Not to nitpick, as I do agree that TWIUtB is an excellent song, but it is far from the most obscure. I'd say that honor would go to Don't Look Past Me or Where Are You Now, as TWIUtB at least was released as a B-side and a live version was on the 1998 Fan Club CD, besides appearing on Cleaning Out the Closet and the FII Demos - DLPM and WAYN only were released on Cleaning Out the Closet and their respective demo official bootlegs. Additionally, TWIUtB was performed 7 times live (I know, not many) in comparison to WAYN (3 times) and DLPM (never).

Don't forget the appearance of Don't Look Past Me on Subconscious.  That is where I heard it for the first time and STILL the song I want to hear live.  Without MP in the band, it will never happen. Though half of the people here are thinking to themselves, "what is Subconscious?"  So, here you go folks.

https://dt.qrayg.com/bootlegs/prism-records/subconscious-310/

Subconscious does have my preferred version of Wanted Dead or Alive.  :lol

Offline Grizz

« Reply #86 on: March 10, 2015, 09:19:52 PM »
This thread just makes me hope that they will do another series of shows like the last ones they did with Derek, one of which my Dad attended.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #87 on: March 11, 2015, 07:41:20 AM »
On an irrelevant note.... Best thread name ever  :biggrin:  :P

:lol I just picked up on that. 

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #88 on: March 17, 2015, 05:54:28 AM »
I'll add another two votes for "Eve" and "Don't Look Past Me". Both are brilliant.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline took_the_time11

« Reply #89 on: March 31, 2015, 01:08:25 PM »
Misunderstood, Never Enough, Peruvian Skies, Hells Kitchen
I know the Aries Code & I enjoy the right to date.

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #90 on: October 23, 2015, 09:20:50 AM »
Reviving this not-that-old topic just to say that Another Won is amazing. I can't help but listening to it over and over since Score came out. It's so... awe inspiring! Another Won could be - in my opinion - probably the most underrated DT song of all times.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #91 on: October 23, 2015, 09:32:04 AM »
Eve.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #92 on: October 23, 2015, 09:41:41 AM »
Don't Look Past Me, Where Are You Now? and original Take Away My Pain.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #93 on: October 23, 2015, 09:45:06 AM »
Don't know if there's any of the studio album songs that are considered obscure, my best bet is Sacrificed Sons, or maybe Peruvian Skies.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #94 on: October 23, 2015, 01:03:14 PM »
Don't know if there's any of the studio album songs that are considered obscure

Yeah, this. The forum is full of obviously dedicated DT fans that know the band inside out, and DT itself is not that kind of band where you know only the hits, if you're into the band, you're into the full album experience.

Having said that, I cast my vote for Speak to Me (best FII ballad, of the whole set of songs wrote for that album) and Don't Look Past Me, if it was the 9th song on I&W, it would have not taken anything away from the value of that album.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Pax

• an operator acting over a Hilbert space
  • pianist and music theorist
« Reply #95 on: October 23, 2015, 01:10:47 PM »
Definitely In the Presence of Enemies, fulfills all of the stuff in the thread title :D
!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇F.F.Chopin!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇

Offline Vandalism

• DTF.org Alumni
  • A Voluntary Lapse of Reason
« Reply #96 on: October 23, 2015, 05:21:12 PM »
Raise the Knife and Beyond This Life  :metal
\\m// Death is the first Dancing Turtle \\m//

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #97 on: October 23, 2015, 05:53:19 PM »
The most obscure Dream Theater song is without a shadow doubt The Dark Eternal Night.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #98 on: October 23, 2015, 08:01:11 PM »
The most obscure Dream Theater song is without a shadow doubt The Dark Eternal Night.
That isn't as obscure as "Anti Procrastination Song"... :P

Offline wideworldofmike

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: October 24, 2015, 09:58:18 AM »
Disappear. That and Misunderstood are so experimental, love that studio energy. Fav songs on disc 1 of SDOIT.

For me Disappear is one of their most honest and relate-able songs lyrically, making the delivery so poignant.

So I'm moving on
I'll never forget
As you lay there and watched me
Accepting the end
I knew you were scared
You were strong I was trying
I gave you my hand
I said it's okay letting go time to leave here
And I'll carry on
The best that I can without you here beside me
Let him come take you home

Offline V_R11

« Reply #100 on: October 25, 2015, 07:32:07 AM »
Far From Heaven
Seasons change and so can I

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #101 on: October 26, 2015, 11:39:56 AM »
Cover My Eyes, or To Live Forever.   Two of my top five DT songs ever, and neither made a studio album proper.

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #102 on: October 26, 2015, 11:17:30 PM »
The Great Debate is amazing, probably top 25 for me.

One Last Time doesn't get enough recognition, but it's honestly one of my favorite Labrie performances.  I just wish it was longer.

Strange Deja Vu is within my top 3 on SFAM, such a fantastic hard rock/prog song.  Simple, yet very effective on its own.

Offline Eldomm

• Metropolis chemist
« Reply #103 on: October 27, 2015, 02:10:44 AM »
Where are you now

Offline Eldomm

• Metropolis chemist
« Reply #104 on: October 27, 2015, 02:11:28 AM »

:lol