Poll

What is, for you, the most overrated album in DT's discography?

When Day and Dream Unite
3 (2.2%)
Images & Words
16 (11.9%)
Awake
24 (17.8%)
Falling into infinity
3 (2.2%)
Scenes from a Memory
16 (11.9%)
Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
16 (11.9%)
Train of Thought
4 (3%)
Octavarium
18 (13.3%)
Systematic Chaos
4 (3%)
Black Clouds & Silver Linings
2 (1.5%)
A Dramatic Turn of Events
11 (8.1%)
Dream Theater
18 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 132

Author Topic: Most overrated DT Album?  (Read 10278 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Most overrated DT Album?
« Reply #70 on: March 02, 2015, 12:16:38 PM »
Not that it's a bad album but have you ever skipped certain albums in a bands discography?  It just doesn't connect to me as a whole album.  Sure there are song I love on it but as a whole, on the bottom end of my DT ranking.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #71 on: March 02, 2015, 12:19:56 PM »
With Dream Theater, there aren't any albums I skip. There might be specific songs on a CD I pass over, but every album gets my listen at some point or another.  Now, I probably listen to WDADU the least so that might be the same as what you're referring to.

With some other bands, yes.  Like, I never listen to The Final Cut by Pink Floyd.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #72 on: March 02, 2015, 12:23:20 PM »
Yeah, like you said, I listen to it but I gravitate to other albums more.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #73 on: March 02, 2015, 12:38:36 PM »
As soon as I finish listening to King Crimson, I'm going to listen to WDADU but with James on vocals.   :biggrin:

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #74 on: March 02, 2015, 01:31:41 PM »
Most overrated album is probably Scenes. Not even that it's bad, it's just the only one I see with NO criticism throughout the community and it gets insanely glorified.

Even if that were true (which it isn't), that doesn't necessarily mean that the praise is undeserved.

I think it does.. He doesn't like that much the album, so it's undeserved for him.. That's what this thread is all about.. We're not talking about general opinions here, but about personal opinions..

I think bosk was referring to Near's statement about Scenes not having any criticism, which is most certainly not true.

In fact Bosk mentioned two things: first, what you just said (and with which I also agree), and second, what I said up there.. I think if that were true (SFAM with no criticism at all) Near would be free to say that the album doesn't deserve such praise..

Sorry about the quote pyramid here, yes I was just saying that I personally almost never see criticism, and although I love the album it isn't my favorite. I'm sure it's there, it's just the only album where I see that's the case, and this is a personal opinion thread after all  :biggrin:
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #75 on: March 02, 2015, 01:55:24 PM »
Wow. I thought I'd be the only person to select Awake.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: March 02, 2015, 05:01:56 PM »

i think it's well known that Blob isn't a fan of it and i've never liked it. Apart from the opening three songs which are all great - it's really boring.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #77 on: March 02, 2015, 06:44:51 PM »
Scenes from a M*gets shot in the head*

Offline 425

« Reply #78 on: March 02, 2015, 07:47:40 PM »

I would have selected Awake if SDOIT did not exist. I like Awake well enough, but to me it does not belong on the same tier as IAW and SFAM. I'd rate it around seventh in the discography.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: March 02, 2015, 07:51:06 PM »
Scenes from a M*gets shot in the head*

I agree .  I originally went for TOT but I've changed my mind after seeing the album rankings thread  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #80 on: March 04, 2015, 09:32:06 PM »
Nobody agrees with BC&SL being overrated lol
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #81 on: March 04, 2015, 11:32:21 PM »

Given DTF's general opinion of BCASL, it's not even possible for it to be overrated.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Thoughtspart3

« Reply #82 on: March 05, 2015, 10:52:15 PM »
ADTOE.  I have no desire to listen to it which has never happened to me with a DT album.  It was fun initially but loses it's appeal quickly.  That is why I don't understand why it is so talked up.  To top it off, Breaking All Illusions is hailed as one of the best songs but I think it is near the bottom for me, a skipper actually.  Please people, hold the flames.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #83 on: March 06, 2015, 07:10:37 AM »

Given DTF's general opinion of BCASL, it's not even possible for it to be overrated.

That's almost as funny as Awake having the most votes.  :lol :rollin :lol

ADTOE.  I have no desire to listen to it which has never happened to me with a DT album.  It was fun initially but loses it's appeal quickly.  That is why I don't understand why it is so talked up.  To top it off, Breaking All Illusions is hailed as one of the best songs but I think it is near the bottom for me, a skipper actually.  Please people, hold the flames.

:flame: :eek :loser:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Cable

« Reply #84 on: March 06, 2015, 07:41:38 AM »
Awake.

As others have said, I don't think it's on par with the top two that most say (I&w and SFAM). Doesnt mean it's bad, or that it is beneath tier 2. Just not the greatest IMO.

What turns me off from it is it sounds sterile to me. I didn't really like the combo of Recto/mark2 or 4, at least with the production. And the aggressive vocals are hit and miss to me.

That said, Scarred may be my top song from DT ever. SDV is great and so on.
---

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #85 on: March 06, 2015, 09:21:43 AM »
I voted for Awake, but I could also have casted my vote on any of the last two DT albums, which to my surprise many people considered average or even good  :biggrin:

I prefer conversations about underratedness, though. Most underrated backing vocalist? Most underrated vocalist before the Chris Cintron era? Underrated DT managers? Most underrated song without a chorus? Most underrated Myung look? We should have threads about all these topics.