Poll

What is, for you, the most overrated album in DT's discography?

When Day and Dream Unite
3 (2.2%)
Images & Words
16 (11.9%)
Awake
24 (17.8%)
Falling into infinity
3 (2.2%)
Scenes from a Memory
16 (11.9%)
Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
16 (11.9%)
Train of Thought
4 (3%)
Octavarium
18 (13.3%)
Systematic Chaos
4 (3%)
Black Clouds & Silver Linings
2 (1.5%)
A Dramatic Turn of Events
11 (8.1%)
Dream Theater
18 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 132

Author Topic: Most overrated DT Album?  (Read 10276 times)

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
Re: Most overrated DT Album?
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2015, 08:07:17 PM »
Well that's the thing for me, I don't think the songs are very well written. Some of the material (TITL and BMUBMD) is some of their worst as far as I'm concerned. The whole thing is just really bland.

Breaking All Illusions says hi.
BAI might be the worst offender. It's like a DT epic by the numbers. It's a nice little tune but the whole thing just seems forced. Like the FFH reprise at the end.

Great solo from JP though.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2015, 08:21:57 PM »
It's honestly the most natural sounding song on the album. That's part of what makes it so great. I don't get how it feels "forced" at all.

Offline 425

« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2015, 10:06:01 PM »
It's one of the most natural sounding songs in the discography. My personal favorite DT song.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Mosh

« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2015, 10:22:56 PM »
It's honestly the most natural sounding song on the album. That's part of what makes it so great. I don't get how it feels "forced" at all.
It just seemed like they were trying to recycle a bunch of ideas from older epics to stay safe. Stuff like the Heart of the Sunrise esque bass solo at the beginning, the Far From Heaven reprise at the end. They aren't really saying anything new with that song.

I'm not even saying it's a bad song, I don't really go out of my way to listen to it but I still enjoy it whenever it comes on. But it does represent the major issue I have with that album.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline 425

« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2015, 10:29:35 PM »
I agree that there's nothing outside the box about BAI, but to me it's the perfection of an idea. It's a compositional feat that was 19 years in the making and it was certainly worth the time it took for them to be ready to write it. Their magnum opus to date.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2015, 12:35:53 AM »
I'd say that BAI is more of a "re-visioning" of DT's sound. I can see why some would say that ADTOE as a whole is them going through the motions, but I feel particular songs on it, BAI namely, are a modern take of what they've established over the course of their career. It's not a song that I can picture being on any prior DT album before it. It's not treading any new ground, but it doesn't need to. Its stellar composition speaks for itself. The song as a whole just flows well and it's chocked full of riveting instrumentation, on multiple grounds.

When I listen to BAI, I just don't hear a song where the guys sat down and said "alright guys, we gotta deliver and chug out an epic-esque tune for the fans". It sounds like they had a jam going and just ran with it, and out came gold. I'm sure the song-writing process was a lot more complex than that, but I honestly feel like it's just straight stream of consciousness from them (and yeah, I went there).

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2015, 02:17:39 AM »
Definitely I&W.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2015, 02:50:14 AM »
I agree that there's nothing outside the box about BAI, but to me it's the perfection of an idea. It's a compositional feat that was 19 years in the making and it was certainly worth the time it took for them to be ready to write it. Their magnum opus to date.

This is how I feel exactly for BAI. It's the perfection of an idea, of what DT is about. Which is why it is my favorite DT song.

I also feel that way for IT, particularly because I could clearly see a narrative structure in that epic, and how all the elements contribute to a narrative. Genius from a composition perspective.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2015, 04:38:06 AM »
DT12

It was a solid album, but I found it nowhere as awesome as so many other fans.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2015, 07:08:26 AM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2015, 07:30:22 AM »
Well that's the thing for me, I don't think the songs are very well written. Some of the material (TITL and BMUBMD) is some of their worst as far as I'm concerned. The whole thing is just really bland.

TITL is my favorite song of the "Mangini ara", and the only song from the "Mangini era" to make my all-time top ten favorite DT songs list (though The Looking Glass is always knocking at the door).

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2015, 07:39:32 AM »
DT12

It was a solid album, but I found it nowhere as awesome as so many other fans.

This.

I like The Enemy Inside, Looking Glass and Surrender To Reason. But, i rarely listen to this album.

Also, Octavarium is nothing special.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2015, 09:49:55 AM »
I can see why some would say that ADTOE as a whole is them going through the motions...

Honestly, I can't.  The album is such a strong return to form, IMO.  I have been a fan since 1992, and I strongly enjoy all of their albums.  But I can honestly say that this was the first DT album where there isn't a single song on the album that I don't care for.  This and DT12 are easily their most consistently strong albums from start to finish.  More of that, please!
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2015, 10:09:05 AM »
Totally agree, bosk!  I'm a big supporter of the past two albums.  Can't wait to see what DT does next, because I couldn't have been happier with the past two releases.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline emtee

« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2015, 10:16:04 AM »
I would much rather they use themselves as inspiration corner (as with ADToE) I just want it to sound better. The songs themselves
are very good IMO. I much prefer the songs on ADToE over DT12.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2015, 10:26:51 AM »
I'd say that BAI is more of a "re-visioning" of DT's sound. I can see why some would say that ADTOE as a whole is them going through the motions, but I feel particular songs on it, BAI namely, are a modern take of what they've established over the course of their career. It's not a song that I can picture being on any prior DT album before it. It's not treading any new ground, but it doesn't need to. Its stellar composition speaks for itself. The song as a whole just flows well and it's chocked full of riveting instrumentation, on multiple grounds.
I can agree with this. But it's partly why it loses points for me. I don't really want to hear their modern take of the past, one thing I like about DT is that they do something different on each album. I'd like to see them continue to do push forward, instead of looking backwards. And no it doesn't need to tread new grounds, but so many of their other epics do, which makes it hard for BAI to stand out compared to them.

When I listen to BAI, I just don't hear a song where the guys sat down and said "alright guys, we gotta deliver and chug out an epic-esque tune for the fans". It sounds like they had a jam going and just ran with it, and out came gold. I'm sure the song-writing process was a lot more complex than that, but I honestly feel like it's just straight stream of consciousness from them (and yeah, I went there).
...but this I just don't hear. It sounds extremely formulated to me.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2015, 12:38:33 PM »
Totally agree, bosk!  I'm a big supporter of the past two albums.  Can't wait to see what DT does next, because I couldn't have been happier with the past two releases.

I agree. The last two releases rejuvenated my interest in the band.  BCASL and SC were good, but I didn't find myself going back to them like I did ADTOE and DT12

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2015, 01:30:01 PM »
I can see why some would say that ADTOE as a whole is them going through the motions...

Honestly, I can't.  The album is such a strong return to form, IMO.  I have been a fan since 1992, and I strongly enjoy all of their albums.  But I can honestly say that this was the first DT album where there isn't a single song on the album that I don't care for.  This and DT12 are easily their most consistently strong albums from start to finish.  More of that, please!

Agreed.  I think it's a vast improvement over the previous two releases. 

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2015, 03:28:14 PM »

I agree.  BAI is a perfect representation of how a song should flow.   :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2015, 04:01:12 PM »
Agree on the whole BAI discussion, it's one of DT's most natural songs and is absolutely beautiful throughout the whole thing

Most overrated album is probably Scenes. Not even that it's bad, it's just the only one I see with NO criticism throughout the community and it gets insanely glorified.
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2015, 04:06:46 PM »
Most overrated album is probably Scenes. Not even that it's bad, it's just the only one I see with NO criticism throughout the community and it gets insanely glorified.

Even if that were true (which it isn't), that doesn't necessarily mean that the praise is undeserved.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2015, 04:16:18 PM »
For me it's 100% Awake. Everyone raves about it but I just can't get into It beyond the opening three songs.

I'd rather listen to Falling Into Infinity.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2015, 09:46:49 PM »

Even if that were true (which it isn't), that doesn't necessarily mean that the praise is undeserved.

I think it does.. He doesn't like that much the album, so it's undeserved for him.. That's what this thread is all about.. We're not talking about general opinions here, but about personal opinions..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2015, 10:22:11 PM »

I think it does.. He doesn't like that much the album, so it's undeserved for him.. That's what this thread is all about.. We're not talking about general opinions here, but about personal opinions..

I think bosk was referring to Near's statement about Scenes not having any criticism, which is most certainly not true.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2015, 10:56:39 PM »

I think bosk was referring to Near's statement about Scenes not having any criticism, which is most certainly not true.

In fact Bosk mentioned two things: first, what you just said (and with which I also agree), and second, what I said up there.. I think if that were true (SFAM with no criticism at all) Near would be free to say that the album doesn't deserve such praise..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline krands85

« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2015, 05:30:26 AM »
Definitely 6 Degrees for me. The new album ranking thread just confirms it - out of 11 posts in there so far, only 2 have it ranked outside their top 5 (and both of them have it at only 7th). For some reason it's just never done it for me. Aside from The Glass Prison, none of the songs stand out as being great to me and even my love of TGP is beginning to wane. The thing is, it's not like it's filled with a load of songs I dislike or anything and I feel like it has the elements that should appeal to me, but for whatever reason it just doesn't.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Octavarious

• Scenes from a Mesmerism
« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2015, 02:41:28 PM »
From Rome, with love.

Offline lithium112

« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2015, 02:58:41 PM »
Definitely Awake. I'm consistently surprised how many people rank it in their Top 5 or even 1st.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2015, 04:21:15 PM »
Either ADTOE or BCSL.

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #64 on: February 27, 2015, 05:44:50 PM »
Awake. It's a great album, but not on the same level as IaW and SFaM like most people on here say it is.

I agree. It's above both of them.  :biggrin:
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline kiwiclapton

• It all began with Beatlemania,
  • In the name of God, Eric Clapton and the Slowhand
« Reply #65 on: March 01, 2015, 03:14:24 AM »
Black clouds ... For me .

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #66 on: March 02, 2015, 11:07:42 AM »
Awake and SDOIT. They both constitute a significant drop after the masterpieces that preceeded them (I&W, SFAM), thus they're somewhat disappointing for me, but often rated just as highly here on DTF.

Awake is overall solid, with a few 'miss' songs (CIAW, SDV). I like the rest, but nothing really stands out and I can't think of a song off the top of my head that would easily crack my top 20. In DT terms, it's a consistently average album. I have a newfound appreciation for The Mirror + Lie thanks to the fantastic BTFW version, I couldn't even get through them before.

SDOIT features two of my favorite DT songs back to back (TGP, Blind Faith, both top 5 material), but I usually skip through the rest of the album, as all the remaining songs feel bloated and they drag quite a lot (although they have some really good moments too).

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #67 on: March 02, 2015, 11:50:31 AM »
Awake.

It is for the most part, beloved by DT fans but for me, it hasn't passed the test of time for me.  I don't spin it much compared to other DT albums.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #68 on: March 02, 2015, 11:56:13 AM »
6DOIT for me. The good songs are great but the rest ranges from "average" to "an overly bloated mess that pretends to be a song but is inherently 8 songs mashed together haphazardly, and while most of the songs are fine on their own none of them are that special"

the problem with SDOIT is that I really like about 1/3rd of it (TGP + Misunderstood + Disappear together total about 30 minutes) and the rest I never really *want* to listen to

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #69 on: March 02, 2015, 12:06:28 PM »
Awake.

It is for the most part, beloved by DT fans but for me, it hasn't passed the test of time for me.  I don't spin it much compared to other DT albums.

Curious...what about it has put you off?  You and I usually have similar tastes I've noticed. For me, from Innocence Faded till the end there isn't a bad song.