Author Topic: First DT song/piece you recall hearing? First DT piece you liked?  (Read 3211 times)

Offline Darkstarshades

First one I heard was As I Am, which I used to hear frequently at my brother's PC, but never really got to know it was a DT song.
First one I heard knowing it was from Dream Theater was Constant Motion.
First one I heard searching while trying to get myself into DT music was the Instrumedley, and was blown away by it.
And first one I absolutely loved was Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (Yes, that long thing)
And you?
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: First DT song/piece you recall hearing? First DT piece you liked?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 04:22:16 PM »
Pull Me Under in '92 on both accounts.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 04:23:44 PM »
My answer to all those questions would be A Fortune in Lies, because I purchased WDaDU a few months after it was released, based on a magazine that highlighted the heavy influence of Rush. That was enough for me to pick up the album. So since I had nothing to go by, I just pressed play and since AFiL is the first song on the album, it's the first one I heard and the one that started me on the road to DT fandom.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline The Holy Tune

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 04:58:09 PM »
First one I heard was Lie, a friend of mine said "check out this cool song!" and I didn't like it that much at first. First DT song that I liked was Caught in a Web I guess, I remember going back to it and listening to it 4-5 times in a row. God I didn't know that there were tons more than that song to DT :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 05:06:27 PM »
Saw them open for Iron Maiden on 6/8/92. Having never heard a note (kinda), they opened with Pull Me Under, and within a minute of them playing, I KNEW I was seeing my new favorite band.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 05:22:35 PM »
Saw them open for Iron Maiden on 6/8/92. Having never heard a note (kinda), they opened with Pull Me Under, and within a minute of them playing, I KNEW I was seeing my new favorite band.
That's one awesome way to get yourself introduced to a band.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 05:33:14 PM »
Ytse Jam for both.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 06:03:34 PM »
I honestly can't remember with 100% accuracy, but it was either Pull Me Under, Take the Time, or Metropolis Pt. 1 for me. I recall hearing those three all at around the same time before I delved further into DT.

I loved them all from the get-go, Metropolis Pt. 1 blowing me away in particular.

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2015, 06:11:09 PM »
Another Day i think.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2015, 06:14:08 PM »
Metropolis Pt. 1 for both questions. My friend sure knows what he's talking about when he told me "you have not heard anything like this."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2015, 06:22:29 PM »
That's one awesome way to get yourself introduced to a band.

Yes. yes it was. (see  avatar)
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2015, 12:10:03 AM »
The Glass Prison, in late 2002 or maybe early 2003. Hooked me straight away!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2015, 12:11:40 AM »
I found ToT from my brother's shelf and listened to Endless Sacrifice. I was blown away with the instrumental section. Had to listen the whole album and the rest is history.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2015, 01:43:31 AM »
First song I heard - As I Am, from Live at Budokan. I didn't like it, there was hardly anything proggy about it, I perceived it as straight up metal and was disappointed with the lack of keyboards (I was hyped up beforehand about the prog aspect of DT and JR).

First song I liked - Take the Time. I had the Budokan DVD for years, loved Instrumedley (so technically you could call that the first as well, it was the only DT song I ever listened to for years and I even set the TDOE ragtime as my ringtone), but didn't get into the rest. Based on the DVD and my taste back then, I thought James was the weak link and very much disliked his singing. About six years later, I heard Take the Time for the first time and I was mesmerized by his voice. By the time the chorus came around, I was an avid DT & JLB fan. What a magical moment!

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2015, 01:47:38 AM »
First song I heard was part of Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, being hugely impressed that a 42-minute rock song existed. While I loved 6DOIT, it wasn't until I heard Octavarium a few months later that this band really clicked for me. And the rest is history.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2015, 02:05:52 AM »
Pull Me Under or Caught In A Web (one of those two were the first song I heard by them).
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2015, 02:21:38 AM »
Pull Me Under off of some compilation cd. I was very impressed

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2015, 04:49:33 AM »
Pull Me Under - 1992. Was in love with the song by the end of the first few bars.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2015, 05:51:55 AM »
-Pull me under (did not know who DT were)

When I knew about DT:
-Trial Of Tears
-Under A Glass Moon

First one I actually liked:
Outcry
(Saw it played by MM in a clinic I attended back in 2012)
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2015, 06:18:20 AM »
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2015, 06:23:59 AM »
I heard my dad play In the Presence of Enemies Part 1 in the kitchen, and I loved it. Still do.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2015, 06:35:07 AM »
Never heard of Dream Theater

Heard Dream Theater was playing a concert 40 minutes away that night

Downloaded Metropolis

Left to see Dream Theater

Offline T-ski

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2015, 08:14:25 AM »
Pull Me Under and Pull Me Under.  Thanks MTv!  :tup
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2015, 09:28:09 AM »
Panic Attack in 2008 for both.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2015, 09:31:01 AM »
If I recall correctly, the first three songs I heard were As I Am, Lie, and another song I don't recall.

Train of Thought had come out and I listened to As I Am as it was being promoted on the internet somewhere. From there I remember watching the video for Lie and another song as I searched around the web for more, but can't recall the other song. In any case I then bought Train of Thought.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2015, 09:43:04 AM »

This.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2015, 10:35:31 AM »
Strange Déja-Vu and Honor thy Father.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2015, 12:48:48 PM »
Pull Me Under and Pull Me Under.  Thanks MTv!  :tup

This.  Ah... back when MTV was actually music television. 
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2015, 01:35:27 PM »
In seventh 'grade' (which was when I was probably 9 or 10) my teacher had an assignment. You should link the musician to the music. The metal guitar player was one of them, the music he played was a short piece of Enter Sandman, and something by DT (I'm guessing Pull Me Under). After school I asked him about the band and he promised me to make me a CD. And days later I had a burned copy of Images and Words. This would've been '98 or '99.

At first I didn't like it very much, but later I kept having a melody stuck in my head. When I found out that it was one of the themes in Learning to Live I was hooked. I think that was in '01 or '02. Found out all about the band in the first few months, bought some album, joined DT.net, counted down to ToT, went to see them in '03, etc. etc. etc.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2015, 04:42:34 PM »
Octavarium in early 2011, rest is history.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2015, 05:34:56 PM »
In seventh 'grade' (which was when I was probably 9 or 10) my teacher had an assignment. You should link the musician to the music. The metal guitar player was one of them, the music he played was a short piece of Enter Sandman, and something by DT (I'm guessing Pull Me Under). After school I asked him about the band and he promised me to make me a CD. And days later I had a burned copy of Images and Words. This would've been '98 or '99.

At first I didn't like it very much, but later I kept having a melody stuck in my head. When I found out that it was one of the themes in Learning to Live I was hooked. I think that was in '01 or '02. Found out all about the band in the first few months, bought some album, joined DT.net, counted down to ToT, went to see them in '03, etc. etc. etc.
Best teacher ever
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2015, 05:52:09 PM »

Best teacher ever

I reckon  :tup      When I was studying music theory at school I recall that once a week on a rotating basis each student was required to bring in a piece of music (on tape I imagine) and the relevant music score for the class to listen to and follow.  And of course the usual stuff was par for the course -  Bach, Strauss , Tchaikovsky - and so when it came for my turn I brought in Damage Inc by Metallica with the guitar score.

My reward was a suspension from music class for a fortnight  :metal  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2015, 06:03:17 PM »
My answer to all those questions would be A Fortune in Lies, because I purchased WDaDU a few months after it was released, based on a magazine that highlighted the heavy influence of Rush. That was enough for me to pick up the album. So since I had nothing to go by, I just pressed play and since AFiL is the first song on the album, it's the first one I heard and the one that started me on the road to DT fandom.

There it is :metal
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2015, 07:03:56 PM »

There it is :metal
Ha - I'm still waiting for you here:
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=43288.msg1925129#msg1925129

;)
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Eldomm

• Metropolis chemist
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2015, 01:44:36 AM »

Exactly my story!