Author Topic: The history of U2 v. Discography Thread: Songs of Innocence  (Read 23040 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: The history of U2 v. Discography Thread: Rattle and Hum
« Reply #105 on: March 26, 2015, 07:33:12 AM »
I will try to listen to this again in the next day or so.

Same here.  It's been a long time since I listened to it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #106 on: March 26, 2015, 08:37:26 AM »
I don't have this anymore and, honestly, I can't even remember the songs on it other than the singles.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #107 on: March 26, 2015, 04:04:37 PM »
Despite its length, I am still surprised that All I Want Is You wasn't a bigger hit here in the States.  I mean, MTV playing the living snot out of the video, yet it didn't come close to even breaking the top 40 charts. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: March 26, 2015, 04:10:33 PM »
I felt myself there was a little over saturation when this came out.  People pulled back a little until the next studio bomb came out!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #109 on: March 27, 2015, 09:19:32 PM »
The lack of praise for Heartland and Hawkmoon 269 disappoints me greatly. :(

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #110 on: March 28, 2015, 04:48:46 AM »
Just finished.  Wow, another great ride.  For me, it was all killer, no filler.  High points were Bullet the Blue Sky, Desire, and When Love Comes to Town.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #111 on: March 28, 2015, 07:09:25 AM »
All I Want Is You is the rock love song that is the benchmark of all rock love songs.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #112 on: March 29, 2015, 07:26:52 AM »
It damn well should be!

Noteworthy is that the band did the Lovetown Tour, which hit only Australia and Europe, and featured the band doing a different kind of show than they had ever done or have done since.  It was like a stripped down rock and roll show, featuring some bluesy tunes, including them playing on stage with B.B. King, who was the opener on this tour.  Pretty cool idea.  But if anybody thought this a glimpse of where the band was going with their next album, boy, were they wrong...

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: March 29, 2015, 07:35:20 AM »
And for me thankfully they did go another direction.  But as we know with U2, they never stayed the same.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: The history of U2 v. Discography Thread: Achtung Baby
« Reply #114 on: April 01, 2015, 05:38:51 PM »

Enter the 1990s. With the tide changing as far as popular music went, so did U2's overall sound.  The Edge had gotten really interested in beats and drum machines and the like, and wanted to incorporate that into their sound. Despite some resistance at first, he eventually won out, and U2 was suddenly doing songs like "Mysterious Ways" and "Zoo Station," which had rhythms unlike any we had previously heard in U2's music.  It was a tough pill to swallow at first for Larry Mullen Jr.,, having to work his way around drum beats he wasn't necessarily responsible for, but over the course of the recording of the album, he saw the light, swallowed his pride, and did his job, all for the greater good.

Not that the recording of Achtung Baby was smooth by any means. The band really struggled with writing at first, in part because of the musical differences that had fragmented the band for a time, and also in part because the songs just weren't coming together.  They had great parts, but just that: parts of songs. They struggled to write finish, completed songs, until one day, a guitar part The Edge was just randomly playing magically turned into "One" by the end of the day. Once they had that song, it was like the fuse was lit, and while not easy from that point on, the writing became more focused from that point forward, and the band eventually had enough songs to release their 7th studio album.

My journey with this album was very uneven.  I had become a big fan of the band in the later 80s, but as the 90s rolled around, I was getting into classic rock and progressive rock, and when I heard "Mysterious Ways," in 1991, I thought, "What a bunch of horse shit.,"  U2 was already falling by the wayside for me as it was, and when the first single from the new album turned me off that badly, my interest in them simply plummeted. Eventually, I heard some of the other singles from this record here and there, but having gotten into Rush in late '91, U2 just seemed so lame and tame, pun not intended, compared to them at that point, that I simply put them away, in the "Bands I used to like" category. I doubt I voluntarily listened to a single U2 song by choice from 1992-1994. Then in 1995, the single "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me" was out and I liked it, and then in early 1996, I heard "The Fly" at a friend's house, which sort of reignited my interest in them. Knowing full well how popular Achtung Baby had been, I borrowed a copy from a friend, listened to it and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Sadly, while the brief surge was enjoyable as heck, that little U2 phase evaporated before long, even as I bought my own copy of the CD, and once Pop was somewhat of a disappointment, I put U2 on the backburner once again, where they would remain until 2009.

I don't know what it was, but something lit a fire under me in 2009 to start listening to this band again. And when I did, Achtung Baby stood out as their best work, by a wide distance, and I still feel that way.  It is a perfect record. I even like "Mysterious Ways" now (!), although it is still my least favorite from this record. :lol  I can never get enough of songs like "Until the End of the World" and "Ultraviolet (Light My Way)," and deep cuts like "Love Is Blindness," "So Cruel" and "Acrobat" are just magnificent. I don't genuflect to "One" like many do, but it is still a damn fine song. This is just one of those albums that you can turn on, listen to from start to finish, and never get bored with.  It is one of the greatest, most daring, and creative rock records ever.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #115 on: April 01, 2015, 07:23:33 PM »
Achtung Baby is U2's Train of Thought. It took a lot of balls for a band as big as U2 to redefine their music at the height of their popularity.

Mysterious Ways is a good single. :p

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #116 on: April 01, 2015, 10:29:05 PM »
the Mysterious Ways guitar tone combined with that riff floors me every time.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #117 on: April 02, 2015, 04:41:00 AM »
I am finishing up my listen right now.

I feel that the album is fairly uneven.  The best songs, like One, The Fly, etc are really really good, but a lot of the rest of the album just doesn't connect with me.  It's like, I am able to recognize the quality of the work that went into the album, but for whatever reason a lot of it just doesn't work for me.

I still like it a lot, but it definitely ranks below their breakthrough 80s output for me.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: April 02, 2015, 06:20:19 AM »
Listening to it now at work.  I think the highs are extremely high and the lows are extremely low on this album. Still a great album.  More to come.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #119 on: April 02, 2015, 09:01:19 AM »
I like this album.  A lot.  But at the same time, it also marks the time when my interest in U2 took a turn for the worse.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: April 02, 2015, 09:44:34 AM »
Funny thought it was 2 albums and both has some good songs after it but those next 2 albums were too experimental for the fans.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #121 on: April 02, 2015, 11:30:53 AM »
Their best album in my book. It totally blew me away when it came out. Holy crap that BASS sound!
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #122 on: April 02, 2015, 05:00:28 PM »
Funny thought it was 2 albums and both has some good songs after it but those next 2 albums were too experimental for the fans.

I don't know if they were too experimental so much in that the songwriting was fairly inconsistent.  I mean, Achtung Baby was pretty experimental at the time, yet most fans went nuts for it.

Listening to it now at work.  I think the highs are extremely high and the lows are extremely low on this album. Still a great album.  More to come.

Out of curiosity, which lows do you consider extremely low?

Their best album in my book. It totally blew me away when it came out. Holy crap that BASS sound!

Yep, Adam Clayton's bass sound certainly took a most aggressive turn on this record.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: April 02, 2015, 06:06:10 PM »
Amazing album. Choc full of great songs and the 360 Tour version of Ultraviolet is STUNNING.  :hefdaddy

Also The Fly is a great live song.

I like Edge's Mysterious Ways solo on the Popmart DVD.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: April 02, 2015, 09:01:32 PM »
Kev.  Got to get to bed.  I'll go into details tomorrow.  the highs way outshine the lows BTW.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #125 on: April 02, 2015, 09:11:16 PM »
"smacks kingshmegland*

:biggrin:

More random thoughts about this album:

-The bass line in Tryin' to Throw Your Arms Around the World is freaking awesome.  It's so simple, yet so slick and smooth.  That is one of the few songs I find difficult not to air bass. :lol

-The opening keyboard in Love Is Blindness still reminds me of the main flute melody in Camel's Rhayader.

-The Fly was when Bono first started using what he called his "fat lady voice" (in the chorus). 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #126 on: April 03, 2015, 03:56:58 PM »
Kev.  Got to get to bed.  I'll go into details tomorrow.  the highs way outshine the lows BTW.

*ahem*

Details, please? ;) :biggrin:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #127 on: April 03, 2015, 04:37:52 PM »

*ahem*

Details, please? ;) :biggrin:

If it helps get the discussion moving in the mean time, I will provide mine:  The highs are the parts just before the album begins and right after it ends.  The lows are the stuff in between.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: April 03, 2015, 05:05:43 PM »
::)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

Following the release of Achtung Baby, U2 then embarked on one the most creative, ambitious and record-breaking stadium tours still ever seen to date. Words cannot do justice everything they had going on - from popularizing the b-stage, to Bono's on-stage alter-ego, to video screens that would show stations showing news and sports and other things from around the world in real time, this was a whole new U2 musically and visually. Them kicking off each show by playing nothing but new songs in the first 6-7 slots was pretty new as well.  I still kicky myself for not seeing them on this tour, but again, I was in a whole other place musically at the time.  I was even downtown the night they played at Busch Stadium in the fall of 1992 - my girlfriend had just started going to Saint Louis University. :facepalm:

During the course of the Zoo TV, they managed to write and record enough material when on break in between legs, and Zooropa, their 8th studio album, was released mid-tour. THey managed to incorporate some of the new songs into the set list on the remainder of the tour, although the shelf life of most of them live was pretty short after Zoo TV. The album is a mixed bag of ideas, and while I like it, I can see why it was a disappointment for many.  It had a great debut on the charts, mainly thanks to the success of the previous records, but fell way short of overall sales when compared to its predecessors. The first single, "Numb," being a total flop sure did not help. I appreciate the idea behind "Numb" and find the video quite entertaining, but the song just lacks that little something that could have made it great.  The clear standouts here are the title track, "Lemon" and "Stay (Faraway, So Close)," the first two of which in the studio sound a bit unfinished; later live versions of both would destroy those studio versions. "Dirty Day" is also a nice tune, and there is a uniqueness about "Daddy's Gonna Pay for Your Crashed Car" that makes it an interesting listen.  The rest is pretty forgettable, even "The Wanderer," which features Johnny Cash on lead vocals.

From the Zoo TV Tour, came Zoo TV: Live from Sydney, which is hands down, to me, one of the best live DVDs ever released by a rock band.  It is a spectacular performance by a band clicking on all cylinders. The back-to-back renditions of "Running to Stand Still" and "Where the Streets Have No Name" are jaw-dropping, and Bono playing the MacPhisto alter-ego during the encore as he slays songs like "Lemon" and Elvis Presley's "Can't Help Falling in Love with You" is just so fascinating to watch. This is U2 at their peak.   

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
At this time, I wasn't huge into U2, although I liked them a lot, and I didn't go to many concerts at all.  I remember seeing footage from this tour, and thinking how incredible it looked.

I remember not being very impressed with Zooropa, but I will give it another listen.

I never saw that live recording, so I can't comment on it.

Offline erwinrafael

Stay is gold. Numb is good for what it is.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I'm still thrilled that at the one U2 concert I have been to, they played Zooropa.  That was totally bad ass live, especially with the way the entire 360 stage came down and surrounded the band.  That song was made for that kind of spectacular light show. :coolio

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Ok so I finally started listening to the U2 Discography.

Boy - This is a pretty good album, much better than I expected. The only song that really didn't do it for me was "I will follow". The songs are really written and catchy. I'm planning on giving this album another spin tomorrow.

I'm currently listening to October and I'm loving it. I just finished listening to "Fire" and I can't wait to hear the rest. I'll post more once I finish with October.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Yeah!!

I was hoping this thread would result in some new fans, instead of just us pre-existing fans discussing them.  This thread seems like it's dying already anyway, so even one new fan could get it going again. :tup :tup

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
Well I hope you finish it.

I finished October and I loved it. I liked it a lot more than Boy. "Tomorrow is such a great song. My thoughts on the first couple albums is that I either love the songs or I think they are meh. So far I can't think of anything that is terrible. I would listen to War tonight but I can't really give it that much attention.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
btw Kev, I hope you finish this Discog discussion.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
The discussion for POP will be interesting :p 

Could have been great. Front loaded. Some great songs.

Undercooked overall.

Amazing tour DVD.

Better versions available on 1990 -2000 best of. :)

Writing on phone so can't go too in depth. :)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Sorry!  Haven't had the time to respond.  Zooropa was the first album that disappointed me with U2.  While Lemon and Stay were fantastic songs, Numb was that bad.  My favorite song on the album though was the title track and the rest of the album was fair to poor.  Not many songs caught my attention unlike the tour which what bombastic and very entertaining.  Over the top and I liked it.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
I'm about halfway through my re-listen of Zooropa.  The opening track was interesting, but after that, the best thing so far is Numb. 

It's not that it's bad, it's just so different that it's a little shocking to me.