Author Topic: Sequels - Why Do They Not Work ?  (Read 3397 times)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Sequels - Why Do They Not Work ?
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2015, 04:54:15 PM »
You might be the first person I've ever seen say that Dark Knight and Spiderman 2 weren't better than their predecessors.

Seriously. I'm sure people will pop up now saying it because that shit just happens on the internet, but I've never seen anyone who thought those two movies weren't the best of their series far and away.  :lol
Oh there are plenty of people who prefer the first film in both those franchises. I'm not one of them, and the balance is certainly in favour of the second films, but that particular viewpoint is certainly not unique or even rare.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2015, 07:19:58 PM »
Hey I prefer The Dark Knight Rises to The Dark Knight !

But Batman Begins to both of them.

I also prefer Jaws 4 to Jaws 3 and think that Superman Returns is better than Man Of Steel.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2015, 10:43:32 AM »
I think there are several sequels that you could make a case for being better than the original. Terminator 2, Godfather Part 2, Aliens, Return of the King, Spider-Man 2, X-Men 2, X-Men: Days of Future Past, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, The Dark Knight, The Empire Strikes Back, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Fast & Furious 5 or 6, the list goes on.

Spiderman 2 better than Spiderman?

The Dark Knight better than Batman Begins?

I question weather or not we even saw the same movies.
There are certainly people who prefer the first film in each series, but the majority view seems to prefer the second.  Especially with The Dark Knight.  Not even sure why that would be a surprise, since it made all the money in the world, and was nominated for six Academy Awards, including a win for Heath Ledger.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2015, 05:53:00 AM »
I agree on Spiderman two (the one with Doc OC right?). That whole fight scene on top of the train is my favourite superhero fight scene ever!

And the Dark Knight contains what is one of the most dedicated acting performances I have ever seen. I thought Batman Begins was great but the Dark Knight is an amazing movie.
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2015, 05:59:59 AM »
I watched all but the last 25 minutes of How to Train Your Dragon 2 last night... That sequel definitely worked.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2015, 07:47:36 AM »
Big Hero 6 was so good that I'm worried the second one will just be all action less heart.

In the same way that Cloudy with a chance of Meatballs 2 had none of the charisma of the first film.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2015, 08:23:31 AM »
I watched all but the last 25 minutes of How to Train Your Dragon 2 last night... That sequel definitely worked.
Yeah, that was pretty good.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2015, 08:40:00 AM »
Weekend At Bernie's 2 was pretty great said no one ever

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2015, 08:28:50 PM »
You might be the first person I've ever seen say that Dark Knight and Spiderman 2 weren't better than their predecessors.

Seriously. I'm sure people will pop up now saying it because that shit just happens on the internet, but I've never seen anyone who thought those two movies weren't the best of their series far and away.  :lol

Well, first of all I really liked the way they told the story in Batman Begins.
They took their time, and made it somewhat believable, but still had a decent amount of action.
I don't know if The Dark Knight would have been as big of a hit as it was if Heath Ledger hadn't died before it came out.
Plus there were all of those rumors saying that he died from a drug overdose, and the reason for that was because he was haunted by how dark the Joker character was, and that in turn very likely generated a lot of interest in the movie, which may have sold more tickets than it otherwise would have.
But the movie seemed a little rushed to me, as though they were more interested in showing the Joker blow things up and burn things than give any kind of background or motivation for his character.
Also I thought Two-Face was supposed to be a major villain in the Batman series, but he really didn't do all that much here, and then they killed him off.

As for Spiderman, I thought there was a lot to like about the first one, but a lot to hate about number two. Good name for it, actually.
To begin with: From what I remember in the comic books, "Dr. Ock" was an evil genius, but he was also a sociopathic murdering psychopath. Actually kind of scary. But I felt that this movie's version of him was a joke by comparison.
Also I hated the way Spiderman kept showing his (peter Parker) face to everyone. In the comic books he was always very careful about keeping his "secret identity" concealed. It was only much later in the various different series' that he VERY gradually started letting other people know who he was. Here he practically took out a front-page in the Daily Bugle with a headline screaming "I, Peter Parker, am SPIDER-MAN!" I mean that's what he might as well have done.
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2015, 08:41:42 PM »
I don't know if The Dark Knight would have been as big of a hit as it was if Heath Ledger hadn't died before it came out.
Plus there were all of those rumors saying that he died from a drug overdose, and the reason for that was because he was haunted by how dark the Joker character was, and that in turn very likely generated a lot of interest in the movie, which may have sold more tickets than it otherwise would have.

I absolutely hate hearing this because I highly doubt it's the case. Considering how much buzz there was about his Joker performance in the trailers before he died to say the movie wasn't going to be as big because of it is, to me, a really unnecessary knock. Also it just happened to be a fantastic and well executed movie.

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2015, 08:47:26 PM »
I'm sorry if what I said came across as being offensive.

I tried to choose my words very carefully.

I did say that I don't know, and that that MAY have been the case.

It's just an opinion.
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2015, 06:12:35 AM »

I absolutely hate hearing this because I highly doubt it's the case. Considering how much buzz there was about his Joker performance in the trailers before he died to say the movie wasn't going to be as big because of it is, to me, a really unnecessary knock. Also it just happened to be a fantastic and well executed movie.

Just to be fair, my mother and grandmother went and saw that movie in theaters just because they were Ledger fans. Neither one of them cares about comics or super heroes. They 100% went because he died. I suspect the new Fast and Furious movie is going to shatter the last two or three films, and it will probably be the most successful movie of that franchise to date. That will without question be because of Paul Walker's death. Same difference.

That being said, the joker was one of the most well done characters I've ever seen.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2015, 06:51:39 AM »
Spiderman 2 better than Spiderman?

Yes

The Dark Knight better than Batman Begins?

Yes

I question weather or not we even saw the same movies.

No shit.

But then.

Opinions...how... do THEY work?

"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2015, 06:52:49 AM »
By the way, Toy Story 2 is the greatest sequel of all time and my be the best film ever created.

:lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2015, 07:41:34 AM »
Spider-Man 2 is up there among the best superhero movies for me, maybe even my personal favorite. The first one was really great too, but SM2 took everything to a higher level. I'd say the same goes for TDK. Batman Begins was great, but TDK was legendary.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2015, 08:42:47 AM »

Just to be fair, my mother and grandmother went and saw that movie in theaters just because they were Ledger fans. Neither one of them cares about comics or super heroes. They 100% went because he died. I suspect the new Fast and Furious movie is going to shatter the last two or three films, and it will probably be the most successful movie of that franchise to date. That will without question be because of Paul Walker's death. Same difference.

That being said, the joker was one of the most well done characters I've ever seen.
Agreed that something like that can cause more people to go and see something, probably increasing exposure - of course that can happen. But I don't believe it has a particularly big impact on how much people like it. If anything, more people going to see it who wouldn't normally like that sort of thing can mean more people who see it NOT liking it.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.