70 (39.3%)
Average
64 (36%)
Below Average for DT
36 (20.2%)
The Worst DT album
5 (2.8%)

Total Members Voted: 176

Author Topic: DT12 is...?  (Read 9892 times)

Offline r3d86

• GO BRONCOS!!
Re: DT12 is...?
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2015, 10:50:02 AM »
Above average for me, i have trust in them. they can blow up our heads and is the right time to them to do it  :metal

Offline Zyzzyva17

« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2015, 11:10:03 AM »
Speaking of going strong after 12 albums, Opeth is currently at 11. After their next album, we can compare it to DT12.
D - D/F# - G - D - Bm - Bm/A - E/G# - A

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2015, 11:26:37 AM »
Speaking of going strong after 12 albums, Opeth is currently at 11. After their next album, we can compare it to DT12.
How do you like their new sound? As far as I'm concerned, they're finally accessible for my ears, but I hear a lot of people complaining.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2015, 11:36:24 AM »
Definitely above average for me.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2015, 12:56:03 PM »
Actually, well below average.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2015, 02:21:40 PM »
I essentially agree with the RYM ranking. DT12 is somewhere at the top of the big bulk of "ok but not great albums".
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2015, 02:27:48 PM »
DT12 is Dream Theater's 12th album. It is abbreviated as DT12, but it is a self titled.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2015, 02:40:27 PM »
Hard to say if it's my favorite, but it's way up there. It's on the same level as Images, Awake, my personalized FII, and a shade above Scenes and Six Degrees.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2015, 02:46:54 PM »
It's average for me. Not a bad album by any stretch, but it doesn't reach the heights of ADTOE or I&W, imo.

It's one of those albums that I don't feel like listening to very often, but when I do listen, I really enjoy it.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2015, 03:03:06 PM »
As can be seen from this thread, the more vocal posters are mostly the ones who don' think highly of the album, poll results notwithstanding. :lol

Also, because of the wording of the poll, above average could actually mean second best. The top option is "the best" not "among the best".

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2015, 03:26:14 PM »
the most forgettable, uninspired album they've ever put out. worst. #12 of #12.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2015, 03:27:41 PM »
As can be seen from this thread, the more vocal posters are mostly the ones who don' think highly of the album, poll results notwithstanding.
the most forgettable, uninspired album they've ever put out. worst. #12 of #12.

You two have to be in cahoots.  :lol

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2015, 06:42:13 PM »
#10 for me, ahead of ADTOE and WDADU. If IT weren't dragged down by the orchestral section, the album might move up one more spot (beating out 8V for #9), but alas. In some ways DT12 is the most consistent album they've had since SFAM--nothing on it inspires active dislike from me, except maybe that AFTR sounds like it was written in ten minutes--but there's an almost complete lack of real impact moments for me. Except for the post-orchestra part of IT, the strongest reaction I have to anything on the album is "that's a pretty good song."

Also, on the how-does-it-compare-to-other-music debate: The flipside of the "running out of ideas" on a twelfth album is that, by album #12, a band should know what they're doing and turn out professional-sounding, consistent records (like this one) in their sleep. Bands earlier in their careers may have more ideas and energy but struggle to harness it (ala WDADU). Also, on the subject of 2013 progpower releases that are way above DT12, Delta's The End of Philosophy tops that list for me.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline Voices

• Like a scream but sort of silent.
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2015, 11:40:21 AM »
DT is a really strong and solid album. The shorter song structure was something that seemed really challenging for them to do, and they did a great job IMO. That being said, I agree that the album lacks more dynamics, and that the sound production isn't good enough, but it doesn't affect the creativity of the songs overall.
And for DT13 I guess they should take more risks and try something diferent, maybe 'proggier' or 'experimental' than DT12...AND more dynamics, of course. 

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2015, 10:58:13 PM »
consider that legendary bands like Led Zeppelin and Metallica never made it to 12. 

Metallica NEVER made it to 12? Dayamn.. Well, you'll probably end up being right on that one at this rate.  :lol

Anyway, I voted above average because I have to give DT12 credit for it's consistency. It's still to early to say for sure, but I think when we look back it will have stood the test of time fairly well. Although I guess that's just how I feel now, hard to know what I'll think in 10 years or whatever. I just feel the whole album didn't really have any duds for me, I actually like all of the tracks for varying reasons, so even if it doesn't really reach the highs of the best albums (although Illumination Theory might be up there with their best IMO), the general consistency of the whole album is quite amazing and brings DT12 into the top half of the albums for me so definitely above average.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2015, 03:54:21 AM »
DT12 is Dream Theater's 12th album. It is abbreviated as DT12, but it is a self titled.

#HopeThisHelp ^KB

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2015, 03:55:33 AM »

Metallica NEVER made it to 12? Dayamn.. Well, you'll probably end up being right on that one at this rate.  :lol

Well considering it's taken them 7 years so far to release their 10th album and they're all in their early 50s now.

I'm not the only person who thinks their 10th album if it ever emerges will be their last.

Offline FLEEBS

« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2015, 08:58:02 AM »
I say below average. It's got some decent stuff, but I can't really get into it compared to other releases. I wasn't impressed with the album at all when I first heard it, and it has grown on me a bit, but I feel it's rather sub-par.
Eat your beets. RECYCLE!!!

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2015, 09:07:26 AM »
Below Average.
It does have some awesome moments but compared to their past releases, it's not quite there.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2015, 09:10:00 AM »

Well considering it's taken them 7 years so far to release their 10th album and they're all in their early 50s now.

I'm not the only person who thinks their 10th album if it ever emerges will be their last.

They should have stopped at the black album.   ;)

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2015, 10:24:22 AM »
Above average, for me.  To me, it's DT's third best album being I&W and Awake. 
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2015, 11:40:35 AM »
I don't even know what's considered average or above average or bad for DT. But simply put, the album is better than the worst but worse than the best, so I put average.

Couldn't have said it better.

Offline emtee

« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2015, 12:50:17 PM »
I only played it 8 or 10 times after release and the couple times I've tried to revisit it I have not made it through the whole album. Label
that however you will.

Offline Octavarious

• Scenes from a Mesmerism
« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2015, 02:43:59 PM »
From Rome, with love.

Offline Tumdace

« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2015, 02:14:54 PM »
Not my favourite but definately top 5.

I love the heavier sound of it, kind of a mix between ToT and Images and Words imo...

I think DT has such a varying sound across various albums that its no surprise some people love it and some people think its below average..

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2015, 06:16:05 AM »
It would be last if I like WDADU a bit more, but I've only listened to DT12 about 4 times and I just cant listen to the whole thing, I can listen to TEI and maybe 1 or 2 others,

Compared to WDADU which I put down after the first listen  :lol

I rated Below average.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2015, 06:40:03 AM »
I just want to say that I was disappointed that Surrender To Reason was not played on the last tour.  They could have scrapped OTBOA and added STR.  It's clearly one of the better songs they have done during the Mangini era.

Offline weirdo

« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2015, 05:17:37 AM »
Better than DT12:
I&W
TOT
ADTOE

Worse than DT12:
WDADU
FII
8VM
SC
BC&SL

The rest are pretty much on par with DT12 (or I just couldn't decide). Went with "better than average". It's still so new that I'm usually more eager to listen to it than any of the other DT albums I've heard dozens, if not hundreds of times. I haven't really worn it out either, since I tend to listen all my albums equally as much, regardless of what I like the most. It might move somewhere closer to average once I get used to the album, I guess only time will tell.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2015, 05:57:57 AM »
Better than DT12:
I&W
TOT
ADTOE

Worse than DT12:
WDADU
FII
8VM
SC
BC&SL

Not even close.

Offline Edergilmour

• no alarms and no surprises, please.
« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2015, 06:26:54 AM »
At first I thought this album would rank among the best but after all this time, it became a little boring to me. I really like those songs but together they just don't make a too strong album. Maybe that "recording while writing" thing is responsible for this.  The mix also ruins the whole experience of the album (I tried to ignore it, but it's impossible haha). So, what could have been the greatest album since Six Degrees, became an average one.

Offline krands85

« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2015, 06:35:03 AM »
Better than DT12:
I&W
TOT
ADTOE
If this is the ranking of your top 3 DT albums, it's identical to mine  :D I'm sure lots of people share the same top 3 albums, but it seems to be quite rare to have both I&W and TOT ranked so highly from what I've seen on here.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2015, 07:30:19 AM »
Better than DT12:
I&W
TOT
ADTOE

Worse than DT12:
WDADU
FII
8VM
SC
BC&SL

Not even close.
Sure it is.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2015, 07:43:34 AM »
Rush - Hold Your Fire
Yes - Big Generator
Pink Floyd - The Final Cut
King Crimson - The ConstruKction of Light

DT12 is about as good or better than all of those (I slightly prefer Hold Your Fire to it).

If given a choice between DT12 & Hold Your Fire, I'd listen to HYF all day long.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline weirdo

« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2015, 08:39:07 AM »
Better than DT12:
I&W
TOT
ADTOE
If this is the ranking of your top 3 DT albums, it's identical to mine  :D I'm sure lots of people share the same top 3 albums, but it seems to be quite rare to have both I&W and TOT ranked so highly from what I've seen on here.
I haven't really given my top 3 DT ranking much thought until today, but yeah, I think it is :P. It's a bit hard to rank the albums because they are so different from each other, but albums like FII, SC and 8VM (even though the title track is one of my favourite songs ever) all have a few songs that I don't like all that much. TOT, on the other hand, is pretty much flawless all the way through imo. (But I do still love FII, SC and 8VM  ;))

Offline metrojam

« Reply #69 on: March 05, 2015, 11:09:18 AM »
Worst....by a long way i.m.o.