Author Topic: Favorite Tour To Collect Boots From  (Read 4332 times)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Favorite Tour To Collect Boots From
« on: February 19, 2015, 02:00:59 AM »
Just what the title says.  Out of all the tours you have collected boots from or listened to boots from, which tour is your favorite.  I am going to guess that most people aren't going to say the most recent tour because there really was no variety from night to night. 

Offline Setlist Scotty

Re: Favorite Tour To Collect Boots From
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 05:54:19 AM »
That's a good question, and quite frankly, I don't think I could choose just one tour. I think the obvious answer would be one of the Evening With tours (World Tourbulence, Train of Thought or 20th Anniversary), but I've been listening to a number of shows from the 2009-2010 tour, a tour I sadly only saw one show of (though my own decision at the time), and I have to say I enjoy the variety of tracks performed from show to show as well as the changes made - even the stretched out version of Solitary Shell, which I'm not really that big on.

For that matter, the Touring Into Infinity shows are good for providing some variety and getting to hear what Derek brought to the table (love his keyboard spots), even if JL's voice is nowhere near in top form.

So I think depending on my mood, I could pick any of those tours - the less variety in the setlists from show to show, the less interested I am in collecting and listening to the shows.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline bobs23

• human mic stand
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 06:45:22 AM »
I think I would go with TOT tour. So much variety, plus the last tour ACOS was played. Even the opening leg they did with Yes, although static was a killer setlist. Honorable mention goes to 8V for me.

Offline Stef1

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 09:18:29 AM »
I agree with the TOT and FII tours with the  Derek shows being a particular favorite, the Christmas 1998 concerts and the early 1998 Japan tours are some of my most listened to and enjoyed.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 11:35:26 AM »
I don't really collect boots anymore, but when I did, my favorite tours to get stuff from were the TOT tour and the Six Degrees tour.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 04:02:19 PM »
I was thinking the Six Degrees tour and Train of Thought.  I also enjoy the boots from Images and Words because you get a lot of the earlier obscure songs thrown in from time to time like Eve. Falling into Infinity had some great boots as well.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 02:46:31 AM »
Not got too into collecting boots yet, but either FII or Six Degrees tours seem to be what I really like.
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2015, 12:10:46 PM »
Good question! The best of course is TOT, a no brainer really. But I though I could make a short list of my favourite tours:

TOT - 3h shows, rotating setlists, larger than usual song selection, improvisations. James in great shape in the September shows.
95 (June To December) - Great setlists, improvisations, JLB in top shape in the 3 October shows
97 (April tour) - Early FII song versions, Great JLB voice
92-93 - James's vocal youth, arguably his peak.
14 (july-october) - Great songs, great performances all around (the advantage of a static setlist...), Trial Of Tears improv, James in great shape.

ETA: almost forgetting 98 (December) - Unique setlists, mood and performances. The best and most unconventional 5 Days (pun, pun!) in DT's Lifetime!
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2015, 10:24:04 PM »
I will reiterate.  I miss the rotating setlists. 

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2015, 01:11:36 AM »

Amen brutha!
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2015, 01:49:50 AM »
Thanks to this thread I realize how much I haven't gone without downloading new bootlegs. Granted, it's not an easy task to do when you are deprived of a viable connection link  :yeahright

I hope things get better before the next tour.

Do you guys believe the static set will persist in 2015?
- Marco

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2015, 01:52:14 AM »
I don't know what keeps them from rotating the setlist.  It was done when MP was there and it didn't seem to be a major issue.  Then again, maybe it was a huge undertaking for the behind the scenes production, lights, and whatnot.  Either way, it's one of the major things I miss about MP.  He was a superfan of the band like myself and others and wanted us to experience everything in full-force.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2015, 05:31:30 AM »
If they do another Evening With tour, absolutely. The reaction MM gave me when I spoke with him after the Milwaukee show, stating how hard it was, gives me that impression. On top of that, they did it once with this last tour without a large contingent complaining, and it doesn't require all sorts of time spent during soundchecks to re-learn/rehearse material.

If they were to revert to having an opening act (and therefore, perform for about 2 hours), maybe they might go back to an A-B setlist like they did for several legs on the Dramatic tour. But quite frankly, I'm not holding my breath - I doubt we'll see even that on the next tour, even if they have an opening act. I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but unfortunately, I think static setlists are the way of the future for DT from here on out.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2015, 03:27:34 PM »
To me, the TOT tour was the best tour by ANY band. The shows were Zeppelin-esque. It represents the band just as they were about to reach the top of the mountain.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2015, 10:15:13 PM »
Oh and another thing besides the rotating setlists that I miss is the random cover songs thrown into the set or just breaking into a cover song during Peruvian Skies for example or Surrounded.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2015, 06:26:40 AM »
If they do another Evening With tour, absolutely. The reaction MM gave me when I spoke with him after the Milwaukee show, stating how hard it was, gives me that impression. On top of that, they did it once with this last tour without a large contingent complaining, and it doesn't require all sorts of time spent during soundchecks to re-learn/rehearse material.

If they were to revert to having an opening act (and therefore, perform for about 2 hours), maybe they might go back to an A-B setlist like they did for several legs on the Dramatic tour. But quite frankly, I'm not holding my breath - I doubt we'll see even that on the next tour, even if they have an opening act. I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but unfortunately, I think static setlists are the way of the future for DT from here on out.

Not sure about the whole summer tour, but at least the three Italian dates will feature two opening acts (Queensryche or Evergrey, if I remember correctly).
- Marco

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2015, 12:09:06 PM »
this
i really like anything from '92-'99. I don't mind the TOT stuff and the 2009 era stuff. However, the non-rotating setlists will mean a lot less boots.
Just to clarify, have they actually said there won't be any more rotating setlists?

Offline Grizz

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2015, 04:58:48 PM »
I think static setlists are the way of the future for DT from here on out.
Damn. Right when I get old enough to see more than one concert a tour!
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"