Author Topic: TOT-General Opinions/Consensus?  (Read 5481 times)

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

Re: TOT-General Opinions/Consensus?
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2015, 11:07:27 PM »
I can see how some could consider this one-dimensional, but I rather think of it as an album that sticks to a musical theme. Just like how Awake is the angsty, angry album, ToT is the dark, aggressive one. Nobody here complains about I&W being too bright and exuberant with its sound, even in songs that delve on relatively dark material (Surrounded, for instance).

I think the I&W comparison is more on point than Awake, which has LSOAD, IF, TSM, and of course SDV to break up the supposed "theme." But sure, each album has a dominant sound. None more so than TOT, though.

SDV I think fits the Awake sound very well, adding a dose of lethargy defusing the angriness of the album (which makes it a very good closer). LSOAD is uplifting, but in a measured sense, not like the uplifting songs in I&W.

IF does seem very bright upon initial listen, but once I became aware of the angriness of the lyrics, the music took on a different meaning. It started to sound conflicted, as if an I&W bright song that realized that it is fucking angry at Kevin Moore.  :lol So it fits the Awake theme.

For The Silent Man, it was a breather between the despair of Voices and the harshness of The Mirror, so I think it's not out of place. It's not even a bright cheerful song, just a relatively quiet one.

I'm not saying the Awake songs are discontiguous. But on TOT, the only remotely different thing you have is Vacant. Let's say that's equal to TSM. With the remaining TOT songs, no two songs are anywhere near as dissimilar as SDV, IF, or LSOAD are to The Mirror and Lie. That doesn't mean there aren't lyrical/thematic similarities on Awake that make it sound like a whole, because there are. But it's undeniably a more diverse album than TOT (despite this, I easily prefer TOT).
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2015, 11:16:45 PM »
No problem but i don't think my opinion is so funny given what their most loved albums are.

I see where you're coming from, funny might not be the right word but, it's just like: TOT was DTs last good album... lol? okay.

Hm... I didn't meant every album after ToT is bad or anything, just that they aren't as good as it or any of the big four.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2015, 11:17:06 PM »
The Presence of Frenemies: OK, got what you are saying.  :tup I would contend that SoC is still quite different from the other songs because it is not riff-heavy. And ITNOG + ES is not really similar to TDS + HTF. As I Am is in a place of its own as well, as the only non-ten + minute song outside Vacant.

I am playing ToT now as I am doing an encoding template for a survey. This is really the perfect work music.  :metal
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 11:23:19 PM by erwinrafael »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2015, 06:34:15 AM »
i might be biased because i have 3 ToT songs in my top 20 and 0 DT12 songs in my top 50
because DT12 is ungodly boring
and one-dimensional
and homogenous
That bias should have nothing to do with reacting heavily against TOT being described as one-dimensional (which it is, for the most part) or in saying that DT12 is one-dimensional (which it most certainly is not).
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2015, 06:46:32 AM »
Least favorite of the LaBrie-era DT albums.   I am a melody guy, though, so I tend to like the material that draws on more diverse influences (my top five albums are I&W, SFAM, A, O8, 6DOIT).

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2015, 07:21:12 AM »
I think it's good, but it's too one-dimensional for me to be placed among the top tier of DT albums.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2015, 07:27:07 AM »
Their last really good album.

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

That's what I was going to say.  The last great DT album for me too.

Really, i didn't get what was so funny.
I think probably the fact that OP was asking for the general opinion/consensus. Getting such a consensus on ANYTHING from the DT fanbase is pretty much impossible, but if there was one, it certainly wouldn't be that. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2015, 10:50:51 AM »
I rank it at #6.  Middle of the road.  :biggrin:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2015, 11:38:56 AM »

That's what I was going to say.  The last great DT album for me too.

Really, i didn't get what was so funny.
I think probably the fact that OP was asking for the general opinion/consensus. Getting such a consensus on ANYTHING from the DT fanbase is pretty much impossible, but if there was one, it certainly wouldn't be that. :lol

Probably the closest thing you could get to a consensus is "It's generally agreed to be one of DT's more consistent and compelling forays into the metal realm, though it still rarely comes up in discussions of their true best work, ITNOG excepted."
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2015, 01:55:42 PM »
Album Rankings

1.   Images & Words (129-29-2, .813)
2.   Six Degree of Inner Turbulence (92-25-3, .779)
3.   Awake (148-67-5, .684)   
4.   Scenes From a Memory (145-73-2, .664)
5.   Train of Thought (80-57-3, .582) 

6.   A Dramatic Turn of Events (96-80-4, .544)
7.   Octavarium (82-77-1, .516)   
8.   Black Clouds and Silver Linings (53-64-3, .454)
9.   Dream Theater (76-99-5, .436)
10.   Falling Into Infinity (82-136-2, .378)   
11.   Systematic Chaos (48-86-6, .364)   
12.   When Dream & Day Unite (29-129-2, .188)

I know these rankings aren't very indicative but still, going by that, no album after ToT reaches the top 5, which is what i was trying to say.

Ah, now i get it  :facepalm:

When i said "Their last really good album", it was just my opinion, not what i think the general consensus is.

In that case, it would probably be between Octavarium, ADTOE or even DT12.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 02:51:08 PM by Outcrier »

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2015, 06:27:52 PM »
It's in the bottom half of my rankings, but it's still a great album.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2015, 07:51:01 PM »
It would probably land somewhere near the middle in my DT album rankings. It really is a great album though, and it was the first DT album I heard, so it has a special place in my heart.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2015, 10:12:32 PM »
Least favorite of the LaBrie-era DT albums.   I am a melody guy, though, so I tend to like the material that draws on more diverse influences (my top five albums are I&W, SFAM, A, O8, 6DOIT).

Almost the same as my top 5 except replace O8 with ADTOE.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2015, 02:07:14 PM »
Love it today and I've always loved it.

Offline Cable

« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2015, 05:56:02 PM »
Love it. It falls within my middle ground DT favorites. Which is not bad, it is just none really jump up or down from my middle pack.

They did what they wanted to mostly with the album, and a lot of the songs hit so hard live. Endless Sacrifice really is killer in person live.

The album also has my favourite JP tone. I am a sucker for Rectifier tone, for better of for worse.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 08:19:44 PM by CableX »
---

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2015, 07:39:09 PM »

Not really. They followed it up with a better album IMO.

:dunno: Dunno why people don't approve of Octavarium's lighter more commercial approach..

I <3 These Walls, Root Of All Evil, The Answer Lies Within, I Walk Beside You, Sacrificed Sons & Octavarium.

Plus I love the big, wide production. Basically the exact opposite of Systematic Chaos' production.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2015, 10:53:02 PM »
The only misstep of the Octavarium album for me is the extreme Muse influence on Never Enough that it's bordering on ripoff territory.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2015, 12:39:40 AM »

That was just my opinion, nothing to do with the consensus.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 05:18:10 AM by Outcrier »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2015, 04:15:17 AM »
The only misstep of the Octavarium album for me is the extreme Muse influence on Never Enough that it's bordering on ripoff territory.

I can quite happily listen to the entire album from beginning to end. :)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2015, 04:29:50 AM »
Dunno why people don't approve of Octavarium's lighter more commercial approach..
I don't have a problem with the approach per se.  I just think that most of the songs produced by that approach are average to forgettable.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2015, 06:50:03 PM »
Dunno why people don't approve of Octavarium's lighter more commercial approach..
I don't have a problem with the approach per se.  I just think that most of the songs produced by that approach are average to forgettable.

Agreed. Though the production admittedly is very good.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2015, 08:29:32 PM »

:dunno: Dunno why people don't approve of Octavarium's lighter more commercial approach..

I <3 These Walls, Root Of All Evil, The Answer Lies Within, I Walk Beside You, Sacrificed Sons & Octavarium.

Plus I love the big, wide production. Basically the exact opposite of Systematic Chaos' production.

I persiabbly think that Dream Theater is at their best when they focus more on prog than metal but remain diverse with some heavjet stuff and more ballady stuff. My top four (SFaM, IaW, 8VM, and ADToE) all do this perfectly.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask