Author Topic: Big Hath's Roulette The 2nd - We Have A Winner!  (Read 22707 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Big Hath's Roulette The 2nd - Round 4 Song Submissions
« Reply #105 on: March 08, 2015, 05:59:43 PM »
I think Evermind has a pretty good system..................if a song gets above 7.5 (I think) then the band is not allowed from there as it's an easy piggyback and sorta defeats the purpose.   If it got a lesser mark and you want take your chances then fine.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #106 on: March 08, 2015, 06:23:13 PM »
Guys. Don't sweat it. It was me. I missed UM was already played. I sent another band all ready.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #107 on: March 09, 2015, 08:02:27 AM »
two of you were thinking along the same lines this round . . .
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Big Hath's Roulette The 2nd - Round 1! Listening Mode
« Reply #108 on: March 11, 2015, 09:17:31 PM »
Round 4 is in the books.  And another one bites the dust.

senecadawg2: Zelliack - Call Me Old Fashioned: Not much a fan of this type of vocal-led crooning I suppose.  The guy sings just fine, but I'm not really feeling it without a bit more going on instrumentally.  If this were in the midst of an album that had some really cooking songs on it and this were a bit of a showpiece for the vocalist I could maybe get into it, but as a stand alone song I'm not really digging it.
Score: 5.0

adace: The Oath - All Must Die: The thing I don't care for about some stoner and doom metal is the looser production, and unfortunately that kind of shines through here for me.  The guitars are a little bit to loose if that makes any sense.  Overall I could get into the doominess, but it just didn't have quite enough going for it.  Doom is a genre I'm just exploring and I wouldn't say I really love it (yet).  The Avatarium song was much more of what I like about the genre.
Score: 6.0

bl5150: Jimmy Barnes - Too Much Ain't Enough Love: Very good blues bordering on soul.  But maybe juuuust on the soft for my tastes.  Great solo, however.  Something in the tone reminded me of David Gilmour.
Score: 7.5

Tom Bombadil: Soen - Delenda: I don't mind in the least when bands wear their influences on their sleeves.  So even though this guy is a Tool sound alike, I think it's great.

Scorpion: Conception - A Million Gods: I wasn't sure about this at first, but it started to grow on me and I really liked it.  When I saw Khan was the singer, I wasn't expecting it to be as rocking or prog or whatever as it was, I was thinking it was going to be more symphonic power metal.

Bolsters: Thunderstone - Forevermore: Power metal but with a bit of a classic/almost hair metal groove in places, I like it.  I'm a fan of the attitude the song takes on during the verses, particularly the second half of each verse.
Score: 8.0

Elite: Soen - Pluton: This song seems a bit more ambitious than the song I received from their earlier album.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it falls slightly flat, but I think I liked it just a little more than their other song.  Going to have to seriously check out this band further.
Score: 8.0

kingshmegland: Big Wreck - Ghosts: Well, this is a very interesting song.  Nice separation of the instruments.  Love that bass during the bridge/solo.  In fact the bass work in this song is pretty great throughout the entire thing, big plus for me.  The vocals with the big harmonies and production remind me of Dave Matthews Band.
Score: 8.5

Rankings after round 4
bl5150 - 9.0 + 9.0 + 8.0 + 7.5 = 33.5
Elite - 8.5 + 9.0 + 7.5 + 8.0 = 33.0
Bolsters - 8.5 + 8.0 + 8.5 + 8.0 = 33.0
kingshmegland - 9.0 + 7.5 + 7.0 + 8.5 = 32.0
Scorpion - 7.0 + 9.0 + 8.0 + 7.5 = 31.5
Tom Bombadil - 7.5 + 8.0 + 7.5 + 7.5 = 30.5
senecadawg2 - 8.0 + 8.5 + 7.5 + 5.0 = 29.0

Eliminated
LieLowTheWantedMan - 6.0 + 7.5 = 13.5
Sacul - 8.0 + 8.0 + 6.0 = 22.0
adace - 7.0 + 7.0 + 8.5 + 6.0 = 28.5

adace, thank you for participating, sorry to see you go.  That Avatarium song was freaking amazing.

The top of the ranking is starting to get very bunched.  And one more elimination is scheduled to happen after the next round!  seneca took a gamble that didn't pay off this round - can he get back on the horse and come through with a huge score to stave off elimination?  When I post the round 5 results, I'll let the final 6 know what is happening the rest of the way.
Winger would be better!

Offline senecadawg2

Re: Big Hath's Roulette The 2nd - Round 4 Results
« Reply #109 on: March 11, 2015, 09:40:05 PM »
Wow- the worst song in the roulette. Bad dog!
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #110 on: March 11, 2015, 10:22:42 PM »
When I saw on Last.fm that you were listening to a Jimmy Barnes song, I knew who and why. :lol

Round 5 has been sent.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #111 on: March 11, 2015, 11:48:44 PM »
Get to live another round. :tup

Offline adace

« Reply #112 on: March 11, 2015, 11:55:24 PM »
Dang, well it was fun playing. Hope to participate in your next one if you decide to have it.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #113 on: March 12, 2015, 01:01:40 AM »
Get to live another round. :tup

Their second album is better, Big Hath proves it :P
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: March 12, 2015, 01:05:32 AM »
When I saw on Last.fm that you were listening to a Jimmy Barnes song, I knew who and why. :lol

and Jimmy would be offended that a Chicago fan (me too!) thinks he's soft  :lol    That was at the lighter end of his output in that era BH - perhaps check out Driving Wheels, Working Class Man , American Heartbeat etc....

I better up my game - my ratings are trending towards zero  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #115 on: March 12, 2015, 08:19:42 AM »
and Jimmy would be offended that a Chicago fan (me too!) thinks he's soft  :lol

a fan of 80s Chicago, no less!  :lol
Winger would be better!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: March 12, 2015, 09:38:27 AM »
 :lol

I've been known to sing some 80's Chicago in the car. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #117 on: March 13, 2015, 11:33:50 AM »
Sent!
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Big Hath's Roulette The 2nd - Round 5 Song Submissions
« Reply #118 on: March 13, 2015, 11:56:15 AM »
Sent!!!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Big Hath's Roulette The 2nd - Round 5 Song Submissions
« Reply #119 on: March 13, 2015, 10:03:37 PM »
missing only Elite
Winger would be better!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Big Hath's Roulette The 2nd - Round 5 Listening
« Reply #120 on: March 18, 2015, 09:23:09 PM »
:bump:

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Big Hath's Roulette The 2nd - Round 5 Listening
« Reply #121 on: March 18, 2015, 09:23:52 PM »
results tomorrow night!
Winger would be better!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Big Hath's Roulette The 2nd - Round 1! Listening Mode
« Reply #122 on: March 19, 2015, 10:51:44 PM »
Here are the round 5 results.  After this we will be down to the final 6!

Scorpion: Ark - Just A Little: Knowing Jorn was involved, I definitely was not expecting what I heard.  This was almost Latin Jazz.  Heck, it IS Latin Jazz.  Very interesting.  Is the rest of the album like this?  I wouldn't say I was blown away, but I found it enjoyable.  For THIS song, I think I actually preferred the other guy that seemed to do most of the singing instead of Jorn.
Score: 7.0

Bolsters: Edenbridge - The Invisible Force: Musically I was very fond of the big symphonic sound and thick guitars, but I wasn't all that crazy about the vocalist.  It just didn't seem like a strong enough voice to compete with what was happening with the instruments.
Score: 7.0

Tom Bombadil: The Clayton-Hamilton Jazz Orchestra - The Jody Grind: Nice little bossa nova after that screaming opening.  Reminds me of Horace Silver.  Then I look up a little more info on this song and what do you know, it's a Horace Silver tune.  Makes sense!  I like the “big band with the sound/style of a smaller jazz group” format, in a similar vein as the Mingus Big Band.  The trumpet section is on fire in this performance.

Elite: Armed Cloud - Jealousy with a Halo: Whoa, nice thick/heavy sound!  The vocal delivery and production remind me of System of a Down, although I wasn't crazy about his voice, especially on that little vocal melody in the chorus.

kingshmegland: I Mother Earth - Soft Bomb Salad: About halfway through the song I was not really feeling it, although I like the bass production.  Wait there could be something awesome brewing, ok this is more like it.  The intensity buildup was really well done and gets some extra points for the song, but ultimately I wish it had taken the song to a new level.  However, it just seemed to peter out.

bl5150: Trail of Murder - Nightmares I Stole: Ah yes, this is a great riff right off the bat.  That solo between the chorus and 2nd verse was quite tasty.  Just a very solid song all around.
Score: 8.5

senecadawg2: Sound of Contact - Pale Blue Dot: Very good first impression.  I liked the spacey intro (music, not video) and the thick rhythmic accents throughout the song.  The dude sounds just like his father.  When he sings that “I” with the echo it reminds a lot of Turn It On Again.  I really like that epic sounding bridge.
Score: 9.0

As you can see below, we had a tie for the elimination spot.  In my mind the first tiebreaker was whoever had sent the highest scoring song during the roulette.  In this case senecadawg2 had sent two songs that scored higher than Tom Bombadil's highest (had they tied on this tiebreaker, the 2nd tiebreaker was going to be who scored the highest in this round, which was also senecadawg2).  So there you have it.  TB, it was a pleasure to have you play and thanks for sending some awesome music.  The Umphrey's Mcgee was excellent and you have already lightened my wallet a bit!

Rankings after round 5
bl5150 - 9.0 + 9.0 + 8.0 + 7.5 + 8.5 = 42.0
Elite - 8.5 + 9.0 + 7.5 + 8.0 + 7.5 = 40.5
Bolsters - 8.5 + 8.0 + 8.5 + 8.0 + 7.0 = 40.0
kingshmegland - 9.0 + 7.5 + 7.0 + 8.5 + 7.5 = 39.5
Scorpion - 7.0 + 9.0 + 8.0 + 7.5 + 7.0 = 38.5
senecadawg2 - 8.0 + 8.5 + 7.5 + 5.0 + 9.0 = 38.0

Eliminated
LieLowTheWantedMan - 6.0 + 7.5 = 13.5
Sacul - 8.0 + 8.0 + 6.0 = 22.0
adace - 7.0 + 7.0 + 8.5 + 6.0 = 28.5
Tom Bombadil - 7.5 + 8.0 + 7.5 + 7.5 + 7.5 = 38.0
Winger would be better!

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Re: Big Hath's Roulette The 2nd - Round 5 Results
« Reply #123 on: March 19, 2015, 10:55:20 PM »
Pretty sure Jorn is the only guy singing on Just A Little.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #124 on: March 19, 2015, 10:58:31 PM »
so here is how the rest of this roulette will play out.

You keep your scores, and for the next two rounds you are playing for seeding, meaning that Rounds 6 and 7 will be just like before.  But after those two rounds you will be seeded 1 through 6 based on your ranking after round 7. 

That is because round 8 is going to be a one on one elimination round, in honor of March Madness.  #1 vs #6, #2 vs #5, and #3 vs #4.

That will leave us with 3 participants for rounds 9 and 10, which will return to our normal scoring (with scores reset to 0) and reveal the ultimate winner.  Got it?  Sound like fun?
Winger would be better!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #125 on: March 19, 2015, 11:01:56 PM »
Pretty sure Jorn is the only guy singing on Just A Little.

well color me crazy.  I know he has quite a range of styles and sounds, but he sounded completely different in some parts than others.
Winger would be better!

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #126 on: March 19, 2015, 11:04:30 PM »
I should have sent Pale Blue Dot sooner. :getoffmylawn: Dimensionaut is such an underrated album on this forum, I never really understood why it didn't generate more buzz here. So, I'll be glad if there's another fan in the fold regardless. :tup

I agree with your comments on the singer in my song - I like Edenbridge but vocally there's just something lacking. Sabine isn't a bad vocalist by any means but as you said, she doesn't have a powerful voice and sometimes the songs need it, especially the heavier ones, and there's not a lot of variety to her singing. Still, the albums made since they started using a proper orchestra haven't been bad at all.

I'll send the next round later tonight, I might have to think a little harder about what to send given the new rules.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #127 on: March 19, 2015, 11:15:01 PM »
I'm surprised and relieved to still be in it... I really thought that the Zelliack song was going to prove fatal, but I'm glad to see you enjoyed the Sound of Contact song. I agree with Bolsters, it's a great album.

And cool idea for the last 5 rounds! I'll likely send tomorrow

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: March 19, 2015, 11:15:48 PM »
Time to submit some Kylie Minogue Bolsters  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #129 on: March 19, 2015, 11:25:53 PM »
Time to submit some Kylie Minogue Bolsters  ;D
I'll send Kylie Minogue if you send Savage Garden. :lol

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #130 on: March 19, 2015, 11:46:20 PM »
I'm not sure I like where this is going . . .
Winger would be better!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: March 19, 2015, 11:57:08 PM »
I'm not sure I like where this is going . . .

Scorp sent Kylie Minogue in my roulette, it wasn't that bad.

I think it got 4.5 out of 10 though. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: March 20, 2015, 07:54:06 AM »
I love the set u for the rest of the roulette!!  Really fun idea!

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #133 on: March 20, 2015, 08:33:03 AM »
Darn. At least you mostly liked the things I sent. Thanks for hosting a great roulette. And good luck to those other jabronis.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #134 on: March 20, 2015, 10:08:00 AM »
Big Hath, that song is very much an outlier on that album. The rest is progressive metal - very well done, but still, Just A Little is my favourite song for how unique it is.

Will think about what to think. Expect a song by tomorrow.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #135 on: March 20, 2015, 10:26:33 AM »
Hey Big Hath, how do you feel about classical music? Forgive me if the question has already been asked somewhere else and I missed it.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #136 on: March 20, 2015, 10:26:17 PM »
Hey Big Hath, how do you feel about classical music? Forgive me if the question has already been asked somewhere else and I missed it.

I would tread lightly in that genre.  I seem to be very specific with what I find enjoyable and I don't even know if I could articulate what it is about the pieces I do like that makes them stand out.  Hope that helps.
Winger would be better!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: March 21, 2015, 04:58:54 AM »
I will listen to some songs I'd like to send and send one out tonight or tomorrow morning.  Going to see my brother's cover band tonight.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Big Hath's Roulette The 2nd - Round 6 Song Submissions
« Reply #138 on: March 21, 2015, 08:25:28 PM »
Will get something through tonight - have spent the weekend packing/flying home and arrived to find the usual shambles of mail and overdue this, overdue that etc..

If I can think of something good I might try and test the boundaries a little across the next 2 rounds,  as my lead ain't really worth protecting now - sudden death against any of these guys doesn't fill me with joy  :lol 

« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 08:46:01 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Big Hath's Roulette The 2nd - Round 6 Song Submissions
« Reply #139 on: March 22, 2015, 04:05:06 PM »
Sent!