Author Topic: Work Related Gripes V The Wrath Of Jay..  (Read 41537 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Work Related Gripes V The Wrath Of Jay..
« on: February 15, 2015, 04:23:12 PM »
So let's hear your employment related woes !!!!!

Not just the bad stuff but the funny stuff too !!!!!

I think it's funny when customers order a drink, tap their credit card on the "contact less" card machine

and walk away before ive even put the order through.

Um. Sir. :p
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 04:47:30 PM by Kotowboy »

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Work related gripes V The wrath of Jay..
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 04:48:17 PM »
I work with government agencies a lot, and frankly, most of them are absolute bozos. The other day this one guy suggested he would physically bring some of the product we're working on up to Boston, so we can test them. Mind you, they're tiny Android phones, so all he's really doing is putting them in his suitcase and flying up to Boston. Replies a different gov't guy: "You sir are a great American."
There was a collective forehead-slap in my office when we saw that email.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Work Related Gripes V The Wrath Of Jay..
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 11:23:37 AM »
I just can't bear impolite mumbling customers.

Me : Hello :)

Them : carammamammamemem

Me : What was that ? :)

Them : ( infinitesimally louder ) Caramel Macchiato

Me : To take-away ?

Them : ............yeh.

Me  : That's ( x amount ) please :)

Them : ( gives you money without making eye contact )

Me : And here's your chnage :)

Them : ..................

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 11:28:34 AM »
I worked at a place for a year and didn't do a thing. That really annoyed me. It sounds awesome, I know, but it really sucked.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 11:41:02 AM »
I just can't bear impolite mumbling customers.

Me : Hello :)

Them : carammamammamemem

Me : What was that ? :)

Them : ( infinitesimally louder ) Caramel Macchiato

Me : To take-away ?

Them : ............yeh.

Me  : That's ( x amount ) please :)

Them : ( gives you money without making eye contact )

Me : And here's your chnage :)

Them : ..................

Someone has a crush on you.

Anyway, my latest work gripe is the fact that my grocery manager is being punished for a not so good inventory when he busted his ass to get everything ready to go. Meanwhile the assistant manager is a hypocritical piece of shit who is constantly bad mouthing him to upper management, and taking credit for all his work, and didn't even help him with setting up inventory. The crew and I did. On top of that, we had a walk the day after inventory, and the assist wasn't there, our frozen guy left early without finishing his job, and the inventory counters completely fucked up the store. We had no chance of making the store look good enough for corporate. So my grocery manager who's the best I've worked under (I've had a plethera of shitty ones) was threatened with being fired, and is now possibly transfered and good old assist, as far as I know as I've had the last couple nights off doesn't get any flak at all. The guy is worthless, no one on the crew likes him, but because he has his lips firmly puckered on upper management's ass, he might be sticking around.

I'll find out more tonight.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 11:46:23 AM »

Unlikely - they're like that with all our staff  :lol

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 11:57:43 AM »
Orgy time
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 12:19:04 PM »
Rude customers, definitely. And shoplifters.

Then again, I don't really have the right to complain about my job (at the University Computer Store), given that I'm the one always messing up. The other day I flat-out sold someone the wrong computer. They didn't notice until an hour later and had to come back to change it out. I felt sooo bad  :blush  It's not for lack of trying, I'm just not very good with anything related to technology and the store doesn't make a point of training new employees...
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2015, 01:05:32 PM »
I just hate the fact that I am underpaid for all the shit I do. I got my "promotion", was given a specific list of duties I was to perform, and I did them. I showed a little initiative in wanting to help my supervisor. My regional supervisor hated the idea. Fast forward a bit, and he (plus the owner of the company apparently) decided to give me the little bit more responsibility I wanted, and then some. I went from a "shift leader" (which tells me that when I am off at 3, I AM OFF" to pretty much second in command there. There is no responsibility my supervisor has that I do not have the ability to take care of as well. The 3 days a week he is NOT there (his 2 days off, and then the one night shift he works), I am running the place. When my regional supervisor bumped my responsibilities up, he said there should be another raise attached to it. Hasn't happened. I don't mind doing all this shit. I feel fucking needed for once in my life. It's just NOT worth what I am making right now.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2015, 01:40:06 PM »
It's a really hard conversation to have, but you need to be up front about that with your boss.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2015, 02:34:27 PM »
We're supposed to have a big meeting with the owner of the company coming up. It was supposed to be last week but it keeps getting pushed back. When that FINALLY happens I'm going to talk with him about. The big issue though is the fact that there is nothing in the contract for the account I work that includes supervisor salaries. Basically increases come out of their pockets. Which they really don't like.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2015, 03:06:58 PM »

The thread title says work related gripes.  ???
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2015, 03:57:29 PM »

The thread title says work related gripes.  ???

They could be the gripes of the customer  :biggrin:

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2015, 10:34:09 AM »
Huh.

So apparently my area supervisor has become aware of my frustrations... after his wife, who is my supervisor's sister, read out loud a Facebook post of mine about my phone getting blown up all the time at night (I am friends with my supervisor on FB. She was looking at his phone apparently). They had a discussion about it... and now my supervisor had a talk with me. He asked if I felt like I was taking on too much and said I can scale back my work load if needed. I told him I enjoy all that I do... It's just the goddamn phone calls I get. Myself and another one of the assistant supervisors / shift leaders take like 85% of the calls when someone has an issue / question. I don't mind answering the phone once in a while... but some of this shit with my phone going off constantly at night... that's gotta stop. He / They agree, saying that they really should be the first people called when there's an issue. Not one of us.  I was told though that I CAN start tallying up my phone time and put it on my time sheet.

I was also given a little flack for the fact that on Fri - Sun, the days my supervisor aren't here, I have gaps in my patrols. Basically... I get going with so much sometimes when it comes to report type shit  that I can't go out and do the basic work. So... I'll have whoever I am working with out for several hours, and then let he / she come in the office and hang out while I finish catching up on shit on the computer. That results in long gaps in our patrols, because I am not going to be the asshole sending someone out for a full 8 hours when that part of the job needs to be split 50/50.

I flat out told him that that's ok... just know that a lot less will be getting done on weekends. I just hope I don't get chewed out for it on Monday. HE says I won't, but it's the area supervisor who does and will get on my ass.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2015, 12:36:58 PM »
Huh.

So apparently my area supervisor has become aware of my frustrations... after his wife, who is my supervisor's sister, read out loud a Facebook post of mine about my phone getting blown up all the time at night (I am friends with my supervisor on FB. She was looking at his phone apparently). They had a discussion about it... and now my supervisor had a talk with me. He asked if I felt like I was taking on too much and said I can scale back my work load if needed. I told him I enjoy all that I do... It's just the goddamn phone calls I get. Myself and another one of the assistant supervisors / shift leaders take like 85% of the calls when someone has an issue / question. I don't mind answering the phone once in a while... but some of this shit with my phone going off constantly at night... that's gotta stop. He / They agree, saying that they really should be the first people called when there's an issue. Not one of us.  I was told though that I CAN start tallying up my phone time and put it on my time sheet.

I was also given a little flack for the fact that on Fri - Sun, the days my supervisor aren't here, I have gaps in my patrols. Basically... I get going with so much sometimes when it comes to report type shit  that I can't go out and do the basic work. So... I'll have whoever I am working with out for several hours, and then let he / she come in the office and hang out while I finish catching up on shit on the computer. That results in long gaps in our patrols, because I am not going to be the asshole sending someone out for a full 8 hours when that part of the job needs to be split 50/50.

I flat out told him that that's ok... just know that a lot less will be getting done on weekends. I just hope I don't get chewed out for it on Monday. HE says I won't, but it's the area supervisor who does and will get on my ass.

Your life, your business, but be careful, man.   FB is the devil when it comes to work, in my humble opinion, and most of what you wrote to me sounds like the groundwork for their justification on why you WON'T get that pay raise.   I don't see any reasonable way that you can make a case for MORE pay when you have it on record that there is more than you can do and some of it will be off-loaded.  Perhaps it is the company I work for (Fortune 5 conglomerate), which often will make it's money by getting less people to do more work for the same pay, but still.  I'm sensing a lot of red flags there.

Again, I may be full of shit on this one, but I know for me, I'm not even ON FB, and if I was, there wouldn't be one scrap of work-related info there.   

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2015, 12:40:12 PM »
All I had said was I woke up to 5 missed calls from work (or something of that sort. I am always VERY careful about posting ANYTHING work related on FB that is more specific than a general "Long day at work" or "slow day" type thing.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2015, 07:04:53 PM »
Oh man......

Ok, let's start with servers who don't know the menu. YOU ARE A SALES REP SELLING MY FOOD, FUCKING KNOW IT!!!!!!

And even worse is the really really dumb fucking servers. This happened....I swear to god it happened....

Servoid- "Chef, is the sorbet dairy free?"

Me- (inner facepalm as heads in the kitchen turn to me) Yes, it is the nature of sorbet to be dairy free....

Servoid- "how about the gelato?"

*everyone else in the kitchen cringes*

Me- (dies a little inside) No, all gelato is made with cream....

I really really hate life sometimes.

Much more for this thread later

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2015, 07:11:42 PM »
I love when customers in Starbucks of all places ask for  " an ordinary Coffee "

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2015, 07:18:53 PM »
I recently found out that sorbet is pronounced "sorbay" I've been calling it shirbit for years and years. Why? I really don't know. I think I even called it shirbert on occasion.

Oh, and my manager is being transferred in 2 weeks, and the assist gets to stay. Hopefully whoever replaces his isn't a dick, and gives assist the boot, cause he really needs to go. We finally got a hard working, nice and fair grocery manager that actually cares and doesn't just blow everything off like that last one, and then they transfer him.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2015, 07:56:58 PM »
Oh man......

Ok, let's start with servers who don't know the menu. YOU ARE A SALES REP SELLING MY FOOD, FUCKING KNOW IT!!!!!!

And even worse is the really really dumb fucking servers. This happened....I swear to god it happened....

Servoid- "Chef, is the sorbet dairy free?"

Me- (inner facepalm as heads in the kitchen turn to me) Yes, it is the nature of sorbet to be dairy free....

Servoid- "how about the gelato?"

*everyone else in the kitchen cringes*

Me- (dies a little inside) No, all gelato is made with cream....

I really really hate life sometimes.

Much more for this thread later

:corn

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2015, 07:18:51 AM »
I recently found out that sorbet is pronounced "sorbay" I've been calling it shirbit for years and years. Why? I really don't know. I think I even called it shirbert on occasion.

It's "sherbet", and at least in the States, it is different (it has dairy in it) than a sorbet (which does not have dairy).  That's if the people making it know what they are talking about.   In France, the products are different, but the names are "dairy sorbet" and "sorbet". 

I know this because my family and I have had three French exchange students. 

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2015, 09:59:05 AM »
I :heart when someone's laziness causes me twice as much work. I also love how we have our night shift leader out for personal reasons for lord knows how long, and we just lost another full timer... We are going to be stretched so thin next month.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2015, 10:04:18 AM »
Woman: "Ummm... you gave me a parking citation. I am parked in an area clearly marked as "Guest Parking" and I don't live here so I am clearly a GUEST"

Me: "Well, You did not have a Guest Pass on your vehicle"

Woman: "NO WHERE does it say that I need a GUEST PASS. It JUST SAYS GUEST PARKING AND I AM A GUEST!"

Me: "It is stated in the CC&Rs that the resident you are visiting should have read. Guest parking is for guests with a 72 hour guest pass. Residents have guest passes which they can give you to hang off of your mirror. "

Woman: "BUt the sign doesn't say that. YOU CAN'T TICKET PEOPLE FOR NOT HAVING A PASS IF THEY DON'T KNOW THEY NEED A PASS!"

Me: "I apologize but the resident is responsible for making sure you have a pass. Best thing to do would be talk to them.."

Woman: "whatever"  *click*

It's not that complicated people. And it's not even like they are being fined. Its A WARNING. YOU GET 3 OF THEM. STFU.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2015, 01:41:54 PM »
So... the company seems like it's going to force me to work at least one swing shift a week next month. It's fucked up because there's no public transport when I get off (11p), meaning I'd be stuck riding home... but the problem with that is I'm going to be riding through a fucked up section of town (lots of stabbings and shit), getting home at midnight, and then going to have to turn around and get up at 5am to get shit together to ride back to work the next morning.  Not fucking cool.

"we need you to step up"

Wtf?

And what do you call all the other shit I've been doing? I'm there almost an extra half hour after every shift. I don't put that on my timesheet. Last thursday my regional manager decided to start having all of our discussions via 4 person group text. My phone s going off from 6am till sometimes up till 1am. And I am expected to reply or at least acknowledge that I've read most of it.

I wouldn't mind that but I'm making a dollar (or less depending on the employee) more than a basic employee and I am working my ass off. In our last meeting, raises for the supervisors (meaning me) came up and I was told they will come once Overtime is cut. Well.... They are going to start having to give more OT out seeing as their most reliable employee (Myself) might start fucking calling out.

I've been there almost 2.5 years, and I have called out twice. And those were within my first fucking month there. Since then... I have NOT missed a shift. I was more than half an hour late like... 3 times. (two of them almost 2 years ago), and one of them only since I became a supervisor, which was only because I missed a fucking bus because I bike and bus into work. We've got people, including my supervisor, who come in 15+ minutes late at least once a week.

I think I am a damn good employee. I know I am not perfect but no one is. If I were to leave, the company would be fucked. I could even see them losing the account.

I know being asked to work a single off shift like that shouldn't be a big deal... if I had my own fucking vehicle it would NOT be an issue. slightly annoying but that's it.

Sorry for the rant but I've been off for 2 days and my phone has not stopped going off. It's pissing me off.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2015, 01:57:49 PM »
^^^ That sucks, and I have definitely dealth with stuff very similar. Its never fun.

My current issue is that management is retarded. They are just incapable of managing.

Our best person is leaving. She's tired of the bullshit and finally decided to leave. She stated to management, all the way back in December, that she would be leaving May 1st.

Management has done nothing to fill the position, and despite having months of notice, no replacement has been hired. I usually work every other weekend, but in come the emails to me to bail them out. But working full time hours doesn't really mesh well with a full time graduate school doctorate program.

Them just harassing me, because they fucked up is incredibly annoying.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2015, 02:18:16 PM »
That's kind of our issue here as well. The reason they want me working that shift is we are short staffed on supervisors as well as just normal staff. Our night supervisor has been out for months for medical reasons. It's unsure that she'll even be back and if she is, if she'll be back full time. (I sent her a text yesterday wishing her a happy b day and she responded with "Thanks. I'll be back soon!"... but I'll believe it when I see it.) Our afternoon / swing supervisor is filling in at another account (adjacent to us.. so he is still around but his MAIN focus is not on us)... plus we have lost a few other employees recently, and those that we have aren't spectacular. We have part time people working full time and everything. I totally get needing help but I just CAN'T do it at the moment. :/

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2015, 03:30:02 PM »
So I work in a data center and we got this brand new shiny oracle rack for a new database and well Oracle has messed something up along the way during the whole process and they have another guy out here for the third week in a row and he told me he was going to take me and one other guy (a DBA who has been here to assist) out to lunch today.  So he wanted to go to Chipotle and when it came time to pay he tried to not pay for me! Luckily the DBA stepped in and made him pay (which I wasnt about to do because I didnt want to force someone to pay even though they offered the previous day and told me not to bring lunch like I normally do).  So I am kind of wowed by how completely unprofessional Oracle is and that is besides the fact that they completely messed up the install.  And it seems like they will have to be back tomorrow since its got so many new issues now and the deal was, the DBA paid for lunch Wednesday, Oracle paid for lunch today, and if they have to stay till Friday then I will pay for lunch.  Friday lunches are on the company anyway so ill just expense it all  :biggrin:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2015, 03:30:56 PM »
Anyway, my latest work gripe is the fact that my grocery manager is being punished for a not so good inventory when he busted his ass to get everything ready to go. Meanwhile the assistant manager is a hypocritical piece of shit who is constantly bad mouthing him to upper management, and taking credit for all his work, and didn't even help him with setting up inventory. The crew and I did. On top of that, we had a walk the day after inventory, and the assist wasn't there, our frozen guy left early without finishing his job, and the inventory counters completely fucked up the store. We had no chance of making the store look good enough for corporate. So my grocery manager who's the best I've worked under (I've had a plethera of shitty ones) was threatened with being fired, and is now possibly transfered and good old assist, as far as I know as I've had the last couple nights off doesn't get any flak at all. The guy is worthless, no one on the crew likes him, but because he has his lips firmly puckered on upper management's ass, he might be sticking around.

I'll find out more tonight.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2015, 07:16:15 AM »
Is there a manager on the planet that is any good?  ; ) 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2015, 07:48:28 AM »

Ive had a couple who I really enjoyed working for.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2015, 08:28:05 AM »

Yup.  Me.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2015, 10:23:12 AM »
I like mine. It's the guys above him that are the headaches.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2015, 03:32:36 PM »
I've had a few managers I didn't like over the years (back when I was tending bar, but the majority of restaurant/bar managers are clowns anyway), but I've had a lot that were good. 

My current one threw me at first, as I am used to have managers that are chatty, and he isn't at all, but what I have learned, and this has been confirmed by others at work, is that if he doesn't talk to you a lot, that is good.  It means you aren't messing up.  And he is always friendly, just not chatty.  But his management style works well, and he doesn't micro-manage, which is always good.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2015, 04:06:32 PM »

Yup.  Me.
Me too! :)
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol