Author Topic: New fan looking for best versions of DT works?  (Read 3141 times)

Offline pbiancardi

New fan looking for best versions of DT works?
« on: February 11, 2015, 06:26:08 AM »
Hello all, brand new Dream Theater fan here, I was pulled in after purchasing the HDTracks version of the newest (self-titled) album.  I am a huge fan of dynamic music and after some reading I noticed that Dream Theater (unlike many others) seem to have provided a more dynamic master to HDTracks vs the typical CD masters we have these days so I picked up a copy and loved it. 

I would like to start collecting the back catalog but want to make sure I am getting the best sounding versions I can (I also like collecting vinyl).  I am trying to figure out what is good and what is not, I cannot seem to find if they have done any louder (less dynamic) remasters like so many other bands that I need to avoid?

So far I have or have on order:
Dream Theater - HDTracks
Dream Theater - Roadrunner 2x Vinyl (I assume this is the same HDTracks master)
Dramatic Turn of Events - HDTracks
Dramatic Turn of Events - Roadrunner 2x Vinyl (again I assume same master)
Black Clouds and Silver Linings - Roadrunner 2x Vinyl
Systematic Chaos - Cobraside 2x Vinyl
Octavarium - Rhino 2x Vinyl
Train of Thought - Label on Amazon just says "Imports" 2x Vinyl
Images and Words - Music on Vinyl 1x Vinyl

Am I off to a good start?  I am assuming that from Train of Thought to Dream Theater I will be getting original releases and Images and Words would be a reissue?  Not sure where the original releases end and the reissues begin as far as timeline goes.

Seems the entire catalog is available on vinyl from Amazon but am I getting the right versions?  Any hope of getting vinyl (or non brickwalled versions) for any of the live albums or official bootlegs?

Any help or advice is appreciated, thanks.

Also completely off topic but I watched the new drummer documentary on Youtube and am now watching the Breaking the Fourth Wall Bluray, is Mike Mangini wearing a wig?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: New fan looking for best versions of DT works?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 06:29:09 AM »
Mangini has been growing his hair out since joining the band, and often straightens it these days. Pretty sure it's not a wig. :lol

Welcome the forum. Can't really help you with your question aside from recommending the HDTracks versions for all of the RR era albums, since I'm anti-vinyl.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 08:04:39 AM »
MM's hair is so flawless, it looks like a wig. Some people are folically gifted, while others aren't :rollin As far as your questions, you can't really go wrong with either option. They both sound better than the CD version
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 08:27:10 AM »
Check this thread for more information regarding the quality of MOV and Enjoy The Ride Records vinyls reissues

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=42438.35

I would get the HD tracks versions for the ones that are available if sonic quality is what you are looking for. If I recall correctly, some of the Systematic Chaos vinyls had an issue with either misprint on the labels with the tracklisting or a tracked that repeats on one of the vinyls. I can't recall exactly the issue, but I do remember an issue with the SC press.

MOV has also released:
-Once In A Livetime
-Live at Budokan
-Score
-Octavarium

But I can't comment on the sound quality of those since I don't have vinyl.

An issue with the SFAM artwork jacket from The Enjoy The Ride press was also discussed in another thread. I think the ETR guy was saying that those were the highest resolution artwork files he got...The artwork on the jacket is pixelated and is not of the highest quality (as far as the image goes).

And welcome to the forum by the way. A new DT album is currently worked on and will be released :soon:

:tup

EDIT:
If you can get a hold of the YTSEJAM Bootleg "Making of Scenes from a Memory" you will find an alternate mix of the full album. I enjoy this one more than the final released version. Seems like it is still available

https://ytsejamrecords.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=13

Offline pbiancardi

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 09:20:30 AM »

MOV has also released:
-Once In A Livetime
-Live at Budokan
-Score
-Octavarium

Thanks for that, I found the MOV store.  According to the dynamic range database the Awake and Falling into Infinity MOV are excellent quality but I cannot find info on any of these so I am not sure if there is any difference vs the CD?  Note that I dont believe that vinyl sounds better any more than I believe that HDTracks are higher quality, its the mastering that matters and if the Vinyl or HDTracks have the better master that is what I want to own.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 10:16:46 AM by pbiancardi »

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 10:28:40 AM »

MOV has also released:
-Once In A Livetime
-Live at Budokan
-Score
-Octavarium

Thanks for that, I found the MOV store.  According to the dynamic range database the Awake and Falling into Infinity MOV are excellent quality but I cannot find info on any of these so I am not sure if there is any difference vs the CD?  Note that I dont believe that vinyl sounds better any more than I believe that HDTracks are higher quality, its the mastering that matters and if the Vinyl or HDTracks have the better master that is what I want to own.

Check out the thread that I typed earlier. There's been a discussion about the origin of the MOV masters. From what I've read, the FII and Awake masters came from the cd files and not from the original master tapes. As far as I know, the ETR releases used the original master tapes but I have no way to confirm either sourcing (from MOV or ETR).

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 01:39:24 PM »
If I recall correctly, some of the Systematic Chaos vinyls had an issue with either misprint on the labels with the tracklisting or a tracked that repeats on one of the vinyls. I can't recall exactly the issue, but I do remember an issue with the SC press.

The Ministry of Lost Souls is repeated on Side 4 instead of In the Presence of Enemies Part II. Pretty lame if you ask me. Sent RR an email and never heard back. Also pretty lame.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 05:04:32 PM »
I cannot seem to find if they have done any louder (less dynamic) remasters like so many other bands that I need to avoid?

The only release that applies here is probably the When Dream and Day Unite 2002 reissue. There's some basic compression done from the original and so is a bit louder. Although I wouldn't wanna give you the wrong impression, because in all fairness this album was far from an amazing quality master on the original in the first place, so a slightly louder version is actually welcomed as it kind of brings out the sound a bit more clearly. Also, good luck finding any original releases of the album anyway, if you end looking for the first album, it's probably the 2002 release you'll find.

Anyway, welcome to DT land, I hope you enjoy your stay!  ;)

Offline Skeever

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 08:11:32 PM »
Couple things -

There are HD Tracks for all the RoadRunner albums - Systematic Chaos, Black Clouds, ADTOE, and 12. Plus, Breaking the Fourth Wall. These are by far the best versions of those albums (not sure whether it's the same as the vinyl or what).

For vinyls - Music on Vinyl look the best, but they don't sound the best. Brookvale sound the best. I wouldn't buy any more MoV's.

For Images, Awake, and FII - the CD's sound absolutely great. The albums were expertly produced and mastered.

Same is probably true for Scenes and SDOIT, even if they weren't done quite as well.

There are no great sounding versions of ToT or Octavarium, aside from what's on the CD (as far as I know).
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 05:34:01 AM by Skeever »

Offline pbiancardi

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2015, 09:30:12 AM »
Couple things -

There are HD Tracks for all the RoadRunner albums - Systematic Chaos, Black Clouds, ADTOE, and 12. Plus, Breaking the Fourth Wall. These are by far the best versions of those albums (not sure whether it's the same as the vinyl or what).

For vinyls - Music on Vinyl look the best, but they don't sound the best. Brookvale sound the best. I wouldn't buy any more MoV's.

For Images, Awake, and FII - the CD's sound absolutely great. The albums were expertly produced and mastered.

Same is probably true for Scenes and SDOIT, even if they weren't done quite as well.

There are no great sounding versions of ToT or Octavarium, aside from what's on the CD (as far as I know).

Appreciate the info, I sometimes get caught up in numbers and I guess I should do some testing for myself, the DR database gives the MOV vinyl Awake a much better grade than the CD so I kind of assumed that one was better.  I will check out Brookvale vinyl, are those just better quality or do they use different masters?

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2015, 03:07:54 PM »
Specifically, if you are looking for the best versions of all DT Works,  you might be interested in acquiring the 1989 single releases for "Afterlife" and "Status Seeker" remixed by Terry Brown.  These can be found on eBay (although not cheaply).  Status Seeker was also included in the compilation CD accompanying the second printing of the Lifting Shadows book.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2015, 08:22:05 PM »
Appreciate the info, I sometimes get caught up in numbers and I guess I should do some testing for myself, the DR database gives the MOV vinyl Awake a much better grade than the CD so I kind of assumed that one was better.  I will check out Brookvale vinyl, are those just better quality or do they use different masters?

I believe that with some of the MoV releases, they actually exceeded the amount of recommended music per side in some cases, so certain releases are quieter (a symptom of that).

The Brookvale releases are overpriced, by they have been mastered for vinyl and sound great.