Author Topic: 2015-07-01 - Auditorium - Rome, ITALY ROLL CALL & REVIEWS  (Read 6230 times)

Offline orphaeusest

2015-07-01 - Auditorium - Rome, ITALY ROLL CALL & REVIEWS
« on: February 11, 2015, 05:25:17 AM »
Great! A dream that has been realized for Italian fans! Dream Theater will play at the Auditorium in Rome! Who will be there? I will be there, for sure. That's a great and amazing place for a DT show, you cannot loose the show!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 04:01:45 PM by Weymolith »

Offline genome

Re: 2015-07-01 - Auditorium - Rome, ITALY
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 02:02:49 PM »
Amazingly, I may be going to this (and I'm from near London). I'm on holiday in Rome the week of the gig. I'm going to try and persuade my family to let me go... and maybe drag them along too.

Offline Octavarious

• Scenes from a Mesmerism
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 03:27:16 PM »
I won't be there as I will be on holiday on a beach over 100 km away and my family won't let me go - not that I'm underage, even worse, I'm married with children! :facepalm:
It's a very good place for a concert in terms of viewing and hearing, but are you sure it's not sold out?
I will go to Pistoia later in July, a wonderful medieval square before the Cathedral that would deserve a shooting for next dvd/br AND extended setlist... :metal
From Rome, with love.

Offline genome

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 03:31:18 PM »
I've got my ticket  :tup

Offline orphaeusest

Re: 2015-07-01 - Auditorium - Rome, ITALY ROLL CALL & REVIEWS
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 10:58:27 AM »
This is expecting to be a great show. The only negative detail is that there is not a flight from Orio al Serio to Ciampino any longer, so I have to go to Milan Garibaldi station where Italo will bring me to Rome Termini station. And this is a discomfort if I remember when I used to arrive in the centre of Rome in about 2 hours-2 hours and half from my home. Anyway, see you all there. The location is one of the most famous and renowned in Europe, and missing this show would have been a great pity.

Offline genome

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 03:09:27 AM »
Does anyone have set times?

Offline genome

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 10:00:07 AM »
Went over to the venue earlier to check it out before heading over later for the show, caught DT loading in. No sign of the band members though!

Heading off in an hour or so for the show!

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 08:53:41 PM »
I'm assuming you guys got the same setlist? How was the show?
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline erciccio

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2015, 02:56:35 AM »
I'm assuming you guys got the same setlist? How was the show?

Yes, same set list!
Great show, in a fantastic location (the "Cavea"- the open-air theatre- of the Rome Auditorium, designed by Renzo Piano)

Great energy by all the band members, echoed by the crowd...

Some remarks:
 - The sound quality was ok, not outstading...James' voice sometimes too much in the bakground
 - The set list is ok, even though BTV does not work as a final song...the setlist would be perfect with  "Pull me Under"  (...the only hit!) as a final gift, in order to have the crowd more involved
 - New album should be out "ih the first part of 2016" (James)
 - James has never visited the Coliseum (quote)  :facepalm:

Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di pił

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2015, 11:11:41 AM »
So, watching this guy's video
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCB9ujR7IIsqOhHMQhqjvwLg/videos

James had a really off night. Poor guy, they must've landed late or he had a late-kicking jetlag.
Also there's a drunk guy who sings worse than the time JP tried to do the main vocals for The Spirit Carries On  :lol

Offline genome

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2015, 03:42:05 PM »
On the contrary I thought James was great, but maybe that's because I was there! I really enjoyed it, a little on the short side and it didn't flow amazingly well due to way they structured it, although it was a cool idea. I particularly liked Mangini's take on As I Am and Constant Motion, and Wither was a surprising highlight. They picked all the songs with cool bass moments in them (Metropolis, BMS, Panic Attack, As I Am) which JM must've liked :D

JP seemed to have a problem during Panic Attack where his guitar dropped out, which I thought was quite funny. I think he hit his guitar and it came back xD And I think his in-ears went down during Burning My Soul because he kept looking over at the monitor guy.

They all seemed really up for it which was good!

Great, and different venue too.

My view

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2015, 03:44:05 PM »
That's a cool looking place.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2015, 04:57:03 PM »
That's what I was going to say. That looks like a really beautiful outdoor venue.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2015, 05:01:27 PM »
On the contrary I thought James was great, but maybe that's because I was there! I really enjoyed it, a little on the short side and it didn't flow amazingly well due to way they structured it, although it was a cool idea. I particularly liked Mangini's take on As I Am and Constant Motion, and Wither was a surprising highlight. They picked all the songs with cool bass moments in them (Metropolis, BMS, Panic Attack, As I Am) which JM must've liked :D

JP seemed to have a problem during Panic Attack where his guitar dropped out, which I thought was quite funny. I think he hit his guitar and it came back xD And I think his in-ears went down during Burning My Soul because he kept looking over at the monitor guy.

They all seemed really up for it which was good!

Great, and different venue too.

My view

Maybe you're right, there are some missed notes and cracks that appeared to be glaring to me, but overall he was still pretty great and it really doesn't matter as long as all of you had fun :)

It reminds me when I saw DT in 2011, James completely missed the mark on Learning to Live's F#, but I couldn't possibly notice that when I was there and only heard it when Youtube videos started to appear (and later on Happy Holidays 2013).

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2015, 05:34:47 PM »
That's the catch with first legs of world tour! And by the look of it, his shape on this one is better than how he showed up in the 2011 summer shows! I'd say he's vocally very fine, he just needs to get his instrument in the zone, and that actually happens in the second half of the second leg of the tour.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline genome

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2015, 04:04:48 AM »
The girl in the bottom right of my second pic looks like the prog has taken her to another dimension.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2015, 06:06:37 AM »
You can tell she's closing her eyes and thinking, "I'd let James fork lift me."

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2015, 06:10:36 AM »
You can tell she's closing her eyes and thinking, "I'd let James fork lift me."
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2015, 02:47:04 PM »

Offline Octavarious

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2015, 03:34:26 PM »
 :facepalm:2 questions I didn't find yet answers to:
1) about to crash is played excluding the Reprise?
2) what the fuck happened to the big led screen? Broken? Not foreseen in some dates (why? In case)?
From Rome, with love.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2015, 08:47:28 PM »
2) what the fuck happened to the big led screen? Broken? Not foreseen in some dates (why? In case)?
1. Why does AtC have to have the reprise included for it to be played? There's been a handful of occasions where the band has played the first part, but not the reprise, and many times where they played the reprise but not the first part. So I fail to see why both need to be played.

2. Could be that the screen is broken or it could be other logistical reasons, such as the screen not fitting in some smaller venues, weight restrictions preventing it from being hung from above, maybe something to do with the electricity it draws or perhaps something else. Hard to say, but you can be sure there was a reason. If the band invested in having the videos made and renting/hauling a big LED screen with them on tour, they'll want to put it to good use at as many shows as possible.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2015, 12:16:43 PM »
Honestly, Behind The Veil is awesome.  A good closer.  I'm thinking you all are spoiled. It's the best way to end a show.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2015, 01:11:17 PM »
I said this is another thread, but I will expand it on here: I totally disagree about Behind the Veil.  I like the song a lot, but the last song at a concert should usually be a classic (when it comes to all bands, IMO), in other words, one that just about every fan in attendance is going to go nuts for.  I doubt that is the case for Behind the Veil.  This set list they are playing this summer just looks odd.  By boxing themselves in with the chronological order thing, they are ensuring that the first and last songs they are playing, will be ones a lot of fans at most shows won't know that well. 

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2015, 04:26:18 PM »
I said this is another thread, but I will expand it on here: I totally disagree about Behind the Veil.  I like the song a lot, but the last song at a concert should usually be a classic (when it comes to all bands, IMO), in other words, one that just about every fan in attendance is going to go nuts for.  I doubt that is the case for Behind the Veil.  This set list they are playing this summer just looks odd.  By boxing themselves in with the chronological order thing, they are ensuring that the first and last songs they are playing, will be ones a lot of fans at most shows won't know that well.

Yeah. I mean, it may be even an awesome closer (which I think it isn't; I think The Bigger Picture would be the awesome closer), but you just don't play a song the fans are somewhat unfamiliar with as the only encore song. Well, in this case, you do and what you get are the load of people who're just looking dumbfounded and not engaged in the performance at all.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2015, 09:41:53 PM »
At a festival, I definitely agree the opening and closing songs should be ones even casual fans will recognize and love. During their own world tour, however, I think they should be able to do whatever they want, as most people in attendance will know a lot more than the average casual fan.

Honestly, I think it's a great summer festival set. A lot of energetic, heavy stuff, some slowdown sections with TSCO and Wither, and playing a lot of popular stuff mixed in with some rarities. I like the chronological order bit, but it leaves them in the spot of opening with a song a LOT of the attendees won't know, since the first album is so rarely recognized. If they wanted to keep all those songs, but put them in an order where more people would be engaged at the beginning and end, this could work:

1. As I Am
2. Afterlife
3. Caught in a Web
4. ACoS: Innocence
6. Wither
7. Burning My Soul
8. Panic Attack
9. Constant Motion
10. The Spirit Carries On
11. Behind the Veil
12. Bridges in the Sky
---------------------------------
13. Metropolis

Offline Mladen

« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2015, 01:54:24 AM »
I admire the bands that take risks with their set list, and that's the case here. They took a chance to do something very different and I'm happy that I'll have the opportunity to attend a show and see how the set works for me.

Offline Octavarious

« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2015, 01:57:25 AM »
1. Why does AtC have to have the reprise included for it to be played? There's been a handful of occasions where the band has played the first part, but not the reprise, and many times where they played the reprise but not the first part. So I fail to see why both need to be played.

2. Could be that the screen is broken or it could be other logistical reasons, such as the screen not fitting in some smaller venues, weight restrictions preventing it from being hung from above, maybe something to do with the electricity it draws or perhaps something else. Hard to say, but you can be sure there was a reason. If the band invested in having the videos made and renting/hauling a big LED screen with them on tour, they'll want to put it to good use at as many shows as possible.
Where did I write that it HAD to include Reprise? It was only a question to those at the shows, I guess you weren't so if you found a video or other evidence that support the fact that it was played without Reprise please share it with us. For me it's the same if they play altogether or not, but it was my curiosity to know. For the record, was it ever played altogether as separate section - at least in the past?
Also the second question was my curiosity as I noticed it wasn't at both shows in Italy. I hope it can make it to Pistoia where I'm going to be soon. Hope it's not broken, of course there is a reason, just noticing we both share a complete "??????" about the reason.
Maybe "About to crash" will now be dedicated to the LED screen?  :rollin
From Rome, with love.

Offline Octavarious

« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2015, 02:05:47 AM »
About  the screen: I just saw that in the Moscow thread they  said there were 2 (smaller?) screens.
Definitely something happened to the big one....
From Rome, with love.

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2015, 03:01:38 AM »
About  the screen: I just saw that in the Moscow thread they  said there were 2 (smaller?) screens.
Definitely something happened to the big one....

I've seen a video from MM'drum tech in Minsk, and to me that seemed like a backdrop (used with a really good projector) more than a Led screen.
I don't know why in moskow didn't used it (it seems like the roof of the stage was quite low) but the difference from the first two gigs, where it was used, and the second two, where it wasn't, is that the latters where outdoor venues,so maybe there was no proper space where to put the projector.
I don't know, good chances that i'm completely wrong.