Author Topic: Absolutely Fleetwood Mac  (Read 16797 times)

Offline DTwwbwMP

Re: Absolutely Fleetwood Mac
« Reply #140 on: November 30, 2022, 07:37:11 PM »
RIP  :(

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #141 on: November 30, 2022, 10:06:47 PM »
sad news
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #142 on: December 01, 2022, 06:21:45 AM »
I forgot to mention I'm So Afraid. That version on The Dance is bananas, although I can imagine there have to be some later 70s live versions where his guitar solo is even more frenetic.
Not much of a FM fan at all, but that is one helluva song. This is the best live rendition I've found, and you're right about the era. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5kOzGwsHXw

it's a fair criticism that (Mick) Fleetwood (John)Mc(Vie) just surrounded themselves with great musicians/writers and lived off the profits from their songwriting, but that video shows the truth is far more nuanced than that.  They were great players when they played.

And I'm sorry; there is something captivatingly, dangerously sexy about Stevie Nicks. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #143 on: December 01, 2022, 08:58:38 PM »
I forgot to mention I'm So Afraid. That version on The Dance is bananas, although I can imagine there have to be some later 70s live versions where his guitar solo is even more frenetic.
Not much of a FM fan at all, but that is one helluva song. This is the best live rendition I've found, and you're right about the era. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5kOzGwsHXw

it's a fair criticism that (Mick) Fleetwood (John)Mc(Vie) just surrounded themselves with great musicians/writers and lived off the profits from their songwriting, but that video shows the truth is far more nuanced than that.  They were great players when they played.

And I'm sorry; there is something captivatingly, dangerously sexy about Stevie Nicks.

While no one will ever confuse Mick Fleetwood with John Bonham or Neil Peart, I always thought he was a rock solid drummer.  And his fat snare sound always kicked ass. 

The combination of Nicks, Buckingham and McVie created a synergy that simply wasn't there if any of the three were missing.  That is not meant to demean the rhythm section, as those guys did their job well, but the three out front were the songwriters and the singers.  I always found it fascinating how much the dynamic changed when watching their videos in the 80s, simply based on who was singing lead.  Lindsey and Christine sang Hold Me, and Stevie was a mere afterthought in the video.  Big Love was a Lindsey, and the rest of the band came off like his backing band.  Seven Wonders was a Stevie song, and she is out front while the others look like they are there just to support her.   Little Lies was a Christine song, and the video makes that clear as day.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #144 on: December 02, 2022, 01:31:20 AM »
I'm surprised that Mick Fleetwood hasn't announced a star-studded tribute concert with himself as the centre of attention yet. Wonder how long it'll take him?
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #145 on: December 02, 2022, 06:17:41 AM »
I'm surprised that Mick Fleetwood hasn't announced a star-studded tribute concert with himself as the centre of attention yet. Wonder how long it'll take him?

Probably not long.  :lol :lol  That guy is always broke and looking for the next tour and payday.  It sounded a while back like he was ready to take Lindsey back, but I am guessing Stevie will stick by her guns and never work with him again.  Plus, Lindsey recently cancelled a bunch of tour dates due to health issues, so it's not like he's ready to hit the road any time soon. And I think Stevie is doing a dual tour with Billy Joel in 2023 (pretty sure she is the opener, although I think it is likely billed as a dual tour).

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #146 on: December 02, 2022, 02:11:47 PM »
My take was that Mick wanted Lindsey back, but was "outvoted" by the rest of the band.  Sure, it's supposedly his band, but if you've got someone else in the band (Stevie) who won't be there if Lindsey is there, and it's clear that Fleetwood Mac needs her more than she needs them, then you make her happy, do the tour, and tell Lindsey sorry, mate.  I thought Mick's idea to get "everyone" back for a big reunion/farewell tour was great because it was basically an excuse to get Lindsey back for one more tour but not make it completely obvious that that's what it was.  Make 90% obvious, but not completely.  Too bad that didn't work out either.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #147 on: December 02, 2022, 03:22:59 PM »
My take was that Mick wanted Lindsey back, but was "outvoted" by the rest of the band.  Sure, it's supposedly his band, but if you've got someone else in the band (Stevie) who won't be there if Lindsey is there, and it's clear that Fleetwood Mac needs her more than she needs them, then you make her happy, do the tour, and tell Lindsey sorry, mate.  I thought Mick's idea to get "everyone" back for a big reunion/farewell tour was great because it was basically an excuse to get Lindsey back for one more tour but not make it completely obvious that that's what it was.  Make 90% obvious, but not completely.  Too bad that didn't work out either.

I have a hard time believing that Christine would have voted against bringing Lindsey back or ousting him in the first place, as it sounds like those two always had a pretty good relationship; hell, they just did an album together a few years ago.  Based on what I have heard, Stevie told the band she would never work with him again, basically giving them an ultimatum, and they chose her for the obvious reason that she is the bigger name and the bigger star.  Fleetwood Mac touring with Stevie and no Lindsey is simply a bigger draw than Fleetwood Mac touring with Lindsey and no Stevie. 

Offline HOF

« Reply #148 on: December 02, 2022, 03:37:05 PM »

I have a hard time believing that Christine would have voted against bringing Lindsey back or ousting him in the first place, as it sounds like those two always had a pretty good relationship; hell, they just did an album together a few years ago.  Based on what I have heard, Stevie told the band she would never work with him again, basically giving them an ultimatum, and they chose her for the obvious reason that she is the bigger name and the bigger star.  Fleetwood Mac touring with Stevie and no Lindsey is simply a bigger draw than Fleetwood Mac touring with Lindsey and no Stevie.

Not to mention Neil Finn!

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #149 on: December 02, 2022, 03:43:27 PM »

Why on earth would you apologize? Back in the '70's/'80's she was INCREDIBLY HOT! :omg: :omg: :omg:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #150 on: December 02, 2022, 05:43:45 PM »

Not to mention Neil Finn!

Neil Finn is a talented guy, but him and Mike Campbell in Fleetwood Mac just didn't seem like a good fit.   It didn't help that the few clips I saw featured some pretty rough vocals by Stevie.  It speaks volumes about how important Lindsey Buckingham was to that band that it took TWO people to replace him.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: December 02, 2022, 06:13:09 PM »
I've seen Stevie Nicks live a few times and she was consistently bad, especially with Tom Petty. That said I do like her vocals on the Fleetwood Mac records.

I always loved that first Buckingham Nicks album, Frozen Love is a fantastic song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m94Xpx91w2E

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #152 on: December 02, 2022, 08:38:27 PM »

Sorry if I wasn't clear.  I put "outvoted" in quotes because I don't believe that there was a majority, or even an official vote.  All it took was Stevie saying "No".  Her single "vote" carried the day, and that was that.  I'm sure Christine wanted him back, or at least wasn't against it, and Mick obviously did (but mostly for business reasons -- with Lindsey would draw bigger crowds than without), and even if John McVie wanted him back, none of that matters if Stevie says No.  She "outvoted" them all.  Or maybe the better analogy is that she vetoed Lindsey's return.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: December 02, 2022, 09:01:23 PM »

I equate her to the seductive woman you are dancing with at the club and decide to invite her back to your place, but once you are out of the smoke, disco balls, and pulsating music of the dance club, the long islands have started to wear off, and you see her sucking on a cigarette on your couch with more lights on, you realize she looks a lot different than the woman you were grinding with an hour earlier.

On topic, don't consider myself a big fan, but if one of their songs comes up on the radio, I'm probably not switching channels. There was something special about that Mick, John, Christine, Lindsay, and Stevie line-up.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #154 on: December 03, 2022, 06:58:44 AM »

Sorry if I wasn't clear.  I put "outvoted" in quotes because I don't believe that there was a majority, or even an official vote.  All it took was Stevie saying "No".  Her single "vote" carried the day, and that was that.  I'm sure Christine wanted him back, or at least wasn't against it, and Mick obviously did (but mostly for business reasons -- with Lindsey would draw bigger crowds than without), and even if John McVie wanted him back, none of that matters if Stevie says No.  She "outvoted" them all.  Or maybe the better analogy is that she vetoed Lindsey's return.

Yep, yep, I totally get what you mean.  :tup :tup