Author Topic: Better Call Saul (SPOILERS)  (Read 112873 times)

Offline ChuckSteak

Re: Better Call Saul (SPOILERS)
« Reply #525 on: June 22, 2017, 05:57:59 AM »
I don't think the pace is slow at all. Watch the show for what it is, don't think about the pace.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #526 on: June 22, 2017, 09:14:16 AM »
I've never found BCS slow at all, the character stories are all so engaging.

I found BB a bit slow sometimes, but not too often. As I've said before the reason I much prefer BCS is how interested and invested I am in the characters, rather than the pace of the respective shows.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #527 on: June 22, 2017, 01:46:22 PM »
Yeah...the pacing for BCS has never bothered me. The story and character development have been spot on IMO
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #528 on: June 23, 2017, 04:51:32 AM »
Finally found time to watch the finale, and I loved it. I felt bad for Chuck too as he started tearing down the house. Heavy stuff.

Forgot to mention also the actor they cast to play a young Chuck that read that story to a young Jimmy freaking NAILED Michael McKeans speech pattern as the 'old' Chuck. It was uncanny.

Agreed. You could immediately tell who it was supposed to be.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #529 on: June 24, 2017, 03:43:42 AM »
Not sure the credibility of the source or if it's just speculation, according to this, shooting,etc.. is scheduled to start in November this year.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #530 on: June 24, 2017, 05:05:19 AM »
That would make sense, they could continue the show in Spring 2018 then.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #531 on: June 25, 2017, 10:07:13 AM »
A terrific season finale.

We watched the very first BCS episode again Thurs night.  Amazing to go back and see how it all ties in with Chuck and Jimmy and this episode.

[spoiler I guess]
Terrific performance by Michael McKean.  Just when you think he can't top the courtroom scene, he pulls off his manic search.  I kept waiting for a different view of the exterior of his home on the final shot.  He never did pull a main breaker, or go into the garage.  We'll probably find out that a yard post or garage ceiling light were on.....or the spinning meter was all in his mind.  I'm also guessing his Jiffy Pop outfit might temporarily save what is left of him, if the smoke didn't kill him first.

Just happened to notice this in today's Baltimore Sun classifieds:

EDUCATION
The Baltimore Curriculum Project seeks Maryland State Certified Elementary Teachers to join an exciting new school venture for the forthcoming school year.  Please send resumes and cover letter to jmmcgill@baltimorexxx.org

Jimmy lives!!!!! :D

« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 10:12:46 AM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #532 on: June 27, 2017, 02:28:32 PM »
It's been officially announced that it's renewed  :metal

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #533 on: June 27, 2017, 03:23:08 PM »
 :tup
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #534 on: June 27, 2017, 07:01:26 PM »
Sweet.  More Gus, Mike, Jimmy, Howard and Chuck!! :tup :tup

Offline faizoff

« Reply #535 on: June 27, 2017, 07:09:19 PM »
I'm thinking they realistically will do maybe only two more seasons. With things in the storyline getting close to the BB world they should be able to wrap everything up in 2 seasons. I wonder if Vince and company have any idea how long they want this show to play out. I can't see it going past a sixth season for sure.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #536 on: June 27, 2017, 07:39:46 PM »
I'm thinking they realistically will do maybe only two more seasons. With things in the storyline getting close to the BB world they should be able to wrap everything up in 2 seasons. I wonder if Vince and company have any idea how long they want this show to play out. I can't see it going past a sixth season for sure.

They've said they had a (5) Season story to tell. I can't image they won't get to tell it. BCS is the third highest rated show on AMC behind the two Walking Dead shows.

Sweet.  More Gus, Mike, Jimmy, Howard and Chuck!! :tup :tup

Ummm.....no Chuck Kev. He done burnt up.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #537 on: June 27, 2017, 07:40:35 PM »
We will still see plenty of him in flashbacks.  I guarantee it. :)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #538 on: March 08, 2018, 01:09:25 PM »
Watched the first couple of episodes last night and really enjoyed it. I always love it when people blunder into terrifying misunderstandings, it's a wonderful comedy trope, and inadvertently crossing Tuco's abuela was gold. I always enjoyed the black humor in BB, and while I don't know if it'll hold out for long, this show seems to be more geared towards that angle.

And Nacho seems like he'll be an interesting character. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #539 on: March 08, 2018, 01:20:14 PM »
Watched the first couple of episodes last night and really enjoyed it. I always love it when people blunder into terrifying misunderstandings, it's a wonderful comedy trope, and inadvertently crossing Tuco's abuela was gold. I always enjoyed the black humor in BB, and while I don't know if it'll hold out for long, this show seems to be more geared towards that angle.

And Nacho seems like he'll be an interesting character.

It only continues to get better. It really starts to find its footing.....especially in season 2. Season 3 was really good as well. I recall reading somewhere that they have a (5) season 'plan' in place that would pretty much take them up to when we meet 'Saul' in BB.

I actually started BCS prior to seeing BB and enjoyed it even without the callbacks and references. It stood on its own pretty good. Only after I binged BB did I realize that I missed some references here and there....but all in all I think it does stand well as its own show.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #540 on: April 01, 2018, 08:13:03 PM »
No spoilers below.

Jesus fucking christ Season 3 IS SO GOOOOOOOD. I am enjoying some aspects and parts of this show more than Breaking Bad. The writing and insanely tense scenes coupled with the few dark comedic aspects left are truly miraculous. Gilligan and Co. are true masterminds. I didn't think this would be anything more than a coattail ride when it began and I really enjoyed it at first. Then Season 2 upped my hopes that it would not only not fail or ride coattails but might shine. And now I'm honest to goodness weighing my love for BB with this show. Every single moment of Season 3 has been void of filler, filled with moments of intrigue, sweaty palms and wonder at what will happen next coupled with awesome callbacks and little hidden homages for those paying attention (and some they make obvious, but not so much that it's gross).

Truly...this is so fucking awesome; even better is that it came out of nowhere (for me at least). Just another facet of proof to me that hype is a true killer and does nothing but damper the final experience. I not only didn't hype season 3 up but didn't see or watch anything beforehand and I am loving every second of this. Now, that's probably a bit of the aforementioned but the show itself is just top notch writing, directing and has that awesome soundtrack to back it (the Mike Private Eye Jazz Jams (TM) are so great).

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #541 on: April 01, 2018, 08:23:19 PM »
Does anyone know when Season 4 premieres?

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #542 on: April 01, 2018, 08:29:06 PM »
The grapevine has the date anywhere from May-ish to Fall so it's up in the air as far as I can tell.

RIP DTP.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #543 on: April 01, 2018, 08:36:20 PM »
These waits between seasons are getting insane. 1.5 years between Westworld and Better Call Saul.  :censored
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #544 on: April 01, 2018, 08:49:55 PM »
Hell, if it's going to equate to quality like this, I'll gladly wait years.

I couldn't give less of a shit how quick the turnout is, if the show is shit, it's all for naught.

RIP DTP.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #545 on: April 01, 2018, 08:52:10 PM »
I mean, I agree. I just wish they could do it in, you know, a year. I don't have as much of a problem with Game of Thrones considering it's their final season and the episodes will be long as hell, but...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #546 on: April 01, 2018, 09:55:12 PM »
Well yeah, the best of the best right now is always the best option.  :P

RIP DTP.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #547 on: April 02, 2018, 12:45:42 AM »
I googled it a week ago and found some sites that said it will premiere in September.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #548 on: April 02, 2018, 08:30:42 AM »
I googled it a week ago and found some sites that said it will premiere in September.

Yeah....they're currently in the middle of filming it.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #549 on: May 04, 2018, 12:56:11 PM »
I'm about 2/3 through with the second season and really digging the shit out of this. I honestly like it better than BB, as it's generally not as dark and intense. While I certainly liked that in BB it could at times be overwhelming. There were a couple of episodes that made me stop and take a break from watching it for a few weeks. I wouldn't call BCS light-hearted, but it does tend to focus more on humor than intensity. Simply a difference between having Walt and Jimmy as protagonists.

In any case, Jimmy is relatable, interesting, and fucking brilliant. I always love watching Mike do his thing. It's got all of the touches we love from VG, from the nuanced to the grandiose. Lisa Wexler kind of does something for me. The secondary characters are all excellent. Particularly Lenny and Ed Begley Jr. It's fun to see them in serious roles. All the way around good stuff. Not sure if I'll start the third season yet or wait until after 4.

Jimmy getting himself fired from the firm was priceless. "I never thought I'd have to make an announcement like this, but. . . "

Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #550 on: May 04, 2018, 01:25:49 PM »
Damn you. I thought there was already a release date announced for season 4.  :'(

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #551 on: May 04, 2018, 01:32:28 PM »
Damn you. I thought there was already a release date announced for season 4.  :'(
LOL. To be honest, I thought there had already been 4 seasons before I started watching. I was disappointed to learn that 4 hasn't happened.
E.F. Benson

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #552 on: May 04, 2018, 01:38:25 PM »
I'm about 2/3 through with the second season and really digging the shit out of this. I honestly like it better than BB, as it's generally not as dark and intense. While I certainly liked that in BB it could at times be overwhelming. There were a couple of episodes that made me stop and take a break from watching it for a few weeks. I wouldn't call BCS light-hearted, but it does tend to focus more on humor than intensity. Simply a difference between having Walt and Jimmy as protagonists.

In any case, Jimmy is relatable, interesting, and fucking brilliant. I always love watching Mike do his thing. It's got all of the touches we love from VG, from the nuanced to the grandiose. Lisa Wexler kind of does something for me. The secondary characters are all excellent. Particularly Lenny and Ed Begley Jr. It's fun to see them in serious roles. All the way around good stuff. Not sure if I'll start the third season yet or wait until after 4.

Jimmy getting himself fired from the firm was priceless. "I never thought I'd have to make an announcement like this, but. . . "

Agree EB. It’s just as good and if not better than BB. I started with BCS then ended up watching BB......but BCS can stand on its own two feet without BB. The connection makes it ‘cool’ but BCS is very well written and the characters/actors are awesome.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #553 on: May 04, 2018, 03:02:15 PM »
Well, the world of Breaking Bad was built from scratch so to speak, they had to create it, find out what was good and what was not. By the time they came to BCS they were well into the machine, with all the added experience of making Breaking Bad, so yeah, in a sense, to have Better Call Saul "better" than BB should be the least that can be expected.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #554 on: May 04, 2018, 03:03:42 PM »
I want to watch the whole series again leading up to season 4. The wait's been very long and I hope there are some real big events in this season especially given how season 3 ended. It's going to be a roller coaster for Jimmy, and SPOILERS I think this is the season we'll finally start to see Saul Goodman. I hope. And I think Kim is going to bite it this season, someway, somehow. Maybe not til season 5 though...

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #555 on: May 09, 2018, 11:07:34 PM »
The end of season 2 was pretty good. The Jimmy cliffhanger didn't do much for me as he should have seen the setup a mile away. It certainly does reinforce what a dick Chuck is, though. I'd really like to know how Gilligan goes about casting. This is a guy that turns Hal and Lenny into genuinely bad people. How does that happen?

The Mike side of the episode was great. Up until now the show stood on its own just fine and the understanding of BB wasn't all that important. The "DON'T" note with the stick in the horn was chilling, though, and all the more brilliant given the understanding that there's only one person that could make that happen. Absolutely fantastic foreshadowing, but only with the story of BB already told. Without that foreknowledge it's just another cliffhanger--oh, I wonder what new character is going to come up.
E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #556 on: May 23, 2018, 11:51:13 PM »
Wrapped up S3 so I read through this thread. Fascinating to see much debate over whether or not Chuck was evil. Calvin made some decent arguments on hs behalf, but he really struck me as reprehensible. Waking up in the hospital his first instinct was to use the fact that Jimmy just saved his life to try to nail him. That was pretty much the final nail in Chuck's coffin for me (and it was already pretty tightly sealed). And yet, the amazingness of Vince Gilligan, I took no joy in watching him self-destruct, despite really wanting it to happen.

Chuck was the perfect bad guy. Maybe the best I've ever seen. He had all the hallmarks. He did awful things to his brother, but from his own warped perspective he was doing them for Jimmy's own good. He made you hate him, yet he was so terribly flawed you also had to sympathize. In the end the flaws, both innate and chosen, led to his demise.

And saddest of all is that his final words were telling Jimmy "the truth is you've never mattered all that much to me." I'm not sure how truthful it actually was, but that's where he left things.
E.F. Benson

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #557 on: May 24, 2018, 06:40:43 AM »
Wrapped up S3 so I read through this thread. Fascinating to see much debate over whether or not Chuck was evil. Calvin made some decent arguments on hs behalf, but he really struck me as reprehensible. Waking up in the hospital his first instinct was to use the fact that Jimmy just saved his life to try to nail him. That was pretty much the final nail in Chuck's coffin for me (and it was already pretty tightly sealed). And yet, the amazingness of Vince Gilligan, I took no joy in watching him self-destruct, despite really wanting it to happen.

Chuck was the perfect bad guy. Maybe the best I've ever seen. He had all the hallmarks. He did awful things to his brother, but from his own warped perspective he was doing them for Jimmy's own good. He made you hate him, yet he was so terribly flawed you also had to sympathize. In the end the flaws, both innate and chosen, led to his demise.

And saddest of all is that his final words were telling Jimmy "the truth is you've never mattered all that much to me." I'm not sure how truthful it actually was, but that's where he left things.

This is a great post/observation. Friggin spot on

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #558 on: May 24, 2018, 06:51:45 PM »
Michael McKean not even getting an Emmy nomination for Season 3 was such a farce. 

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #559 on: May 31, 2018, 08:56:02 PM »
From BCS FB page

You asked, we answered! Season 4 of #BetterCallSaul returns to AMC on August 6th at 9/8c. HUGE thank you to all who put together the social scavenger hunt yesterday! Stay tuned to our social pages, more exciting news and announcements on the way! #SalamancaTwins

There’s a photo with the announcement and the Salamanca twins are there