Author Topic: Better Call Saul (SPOILERS)  (Read 112907 times)

Calvin6s

Re: Better Call Saul (SPOILERS)
« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2015, 12:12:24 AM »
Not to mention it was announced a long time ago that Mike would show up from time to time in BCS.

I guess if you follow that stuff.  I try not to as it usually ruins shows/movies. 

Cameos are pretty common where the actor shows up, but isn't the character.  I didn't catch the year yet, but I think is supposed to be about 2001 or 2002 based off the time stamp on his first case ... or about 6 years before Breaking Bad.  That seems like quite the rise for Mike to go from Toll Booth troll to having so much responsibility with Gus.  And we know he had less than normal activity prior to 2002, so it is a strange job position for him to currently be in.  As I said earlier, perhaps it is a temporary job so he can talk to D.A.'s to get some inside info in a unsuspecting opinion.  Or maybe he was retiring to a simple job like that only to be dragged back in.

So far, lots of unanswered questions.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #71 on: February 17, 2015, 04:27:29 AM »
Great episode. This show is definetely managing to show the same 'spirit' as Breaking Bad did, but still be it's own thing. Which is really the perfect thing for it to be that everyone hoped for.

And I love how Jimmy just told the girl everything, as in actually explained the situation. That's what real life people do. They don't always lie in weird ways as so many people do in other shows, and is something that has always bothered me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #72 on: February 17, 2015, 03:58:11 PM »
I like this so far, but I have to be honest: if this were a brand new show, with no Breaking Bad having existed, I would not consider this "must see TV."  But, because of the Breaking Bad factor, I am all in for the duration.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #73 on: February 17, 2015, 05:01:12 PM »
I like this so far, but I have to be honest: if this were a brand new show, with no Breaking Bad having existed, I would not consider this "must see TV."  But, because of the Breaking Bad factor, I am all in for the duration.

I'm teetering on dumping it. I've enjoyed each episode.....but I am not just dying to watch it. I figure though that I've given less shows a season to win me over....so I'll probably do the same here.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #74 on: February 17, 2015, 05:04:44 PM »
That's basically how I feel. I'm interested, but can fully acknowledge a lot of my interest is based on the BB link. It doesn't feel like a show I would be watching without that. I'm giving it a chance because they're most likely still setting bigger stuff up, but if it doesn't get much more interesting than this within the season, I can't see myself returning to it.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #75 on: February 17, 2015, 05:38:43 PM »
I figure Gilligan knows where he set the bar with the fandom, so he figures he's able to get away with drawing out the setup a bit longer. Which seems to be the case.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #76 on: February 17, 2015, 06:21:53 PM »
You guys are crazy. This show is awesome so far.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #77 on: February 17, 2015, 06:33:05 PM »

yessir

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: February 17, 2015, 07:21:20 PM »

yessir

In my case it's less about how good the show is and more about trying to filter the amount of shows I'm watching. It's out of control for me. I'm trying to get to a manageable number of shows I enjoy to where I'm not killing myself on the weekends to watch 16 hours of tv shows on Friday and Saturday nights. Anyway, I do agree that it is a good show....I've enjoyed it....but I'm still just not fully 'in' at this point, that's all

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #79 on: February 17, 2015, 07:48:43 PM »
Very few shows, including a lot of great shows, are HOLY FUCK BALLS AMAZING three episodes in.  You can't expect mid-run excellence three episodes in.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: February 17, 2015, 07:51:46 PM »
Very few shows, including a lot of great shows, are HOLY FUCK BALLS AMAZING three episodes in.  You can't expect mid-run excellence three episodes in.

I know. And that's why at the least its getting the full season. And again.....I do like the show!  :lol

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #81 on: February 17, 2015, 07:51:55 PM »

yessir

In my case it's less about how good the show is and more about trying to filter the amount of shows I'm watching. It's out of control for me. I'm trying to get to a manageable number of shows I enjoy to where I'm not killing myself on the weekends to watch 16 hours of tv shows on Friday and Saturday nights. Anyway, I do agree that it is a good show....I've enjoyed it....but I'm still just not fully 'in' at this point, that's all

Holy crap!  What shows are you following?

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #82 on: February 17, 2015, 07:52:27 PM »
I have nothing else to watch on a Monday night so this works for me.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: February 17, 2015, 07:59:21 PM »

yessir

Holy crap!  What shows are you following?

Not in any particular order

The Walking Dead
The talking Dead
Better call Saul
Storage Wars
12 Monkeys
Helix
Vikings
Face Off
Wizard Wars
Shark Tank
Yukon Men
Alaska: Final Frontier
(Not currently on)
The Intruders
Hannibal
Survivor
Deadliest Catch

Plus, it's Hockey Season so I rarely miss a Blues game. Like right now....watching them get their a$$ handed to them by Dallas

It seems like I'm missing a couple shows also....those are just the ones that popped in my head.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #84 on: February 17, 2015, 08:00:56 PM »
Sheesh!  I can count the shows I follow on one hand I think.  That's crazy.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: February 17, 2015, 08:03:34 PM »
Sheesh!  I can count the shows I follow on one hand I think.  That's crazy.
I've been trying to cut it down for a while. I have some sort of problem I think....only because I generally don't start trying to watch the recordings until 8 or 9 o'clock Fri/Sat nights and stay up until 2 or 3 am....full well knowing I have to get up early and do the dad thing of running to games or whatever. Oh well.....

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #86 on: February 17, 2015, 08:06:07 PM »

True, although Breaking Bad did it.  By the time the 3rd episode of that was over, I was in balls deep. :lol :lol  Then again, Breaking Bad is the best thing ever, so holding everything else to their standard is just unfair.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #87 on: February 17, 2015, 10:32:07 PM »
Breaking Bad and The Americans might be the only shows I was balls deep in that early in a series.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #88 on: February 18, 2015, 03:22:53 AM »
I follow 12 shows, only 4 of which are currently coming out weekly, one of which is Better Call Saul. Some shows that are currently on TV that I want to see I'll just wait with until one of the ones I do follow ends.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #89 on: February 18, 2015, 03:55:37 PM »
Just caught up with the latest episode.  It was kinda... meh.  Hopefully the action picks up.  Good to see Mike getting more screen time!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #90 on: February 18, 2015, 04:33:17 PM »
Breaking Bad and The Americans might be the only shows I was balls deep in that early in a series.

The Sorpanos grabbed me just as quickly as BB did.  Episode 1 wowed me and I was "all in" after that.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #91 on: February 18, 2015, 04:38:42 PM »
Sad as this may sound, Better Call Saul is the first show not on Comedy Central in many years I've followed from day 1. Everything else I always watch on DVD after the fact, or catch up a few seasons in and then watch from there on out. Hell, even this series only partially counts as I'd probably never have started watching it already if it wasn't for breaking bad.

I guess I typically wait till a show is a few seasons in at least and get a good look at the feelings towards a show on a whole than jumping in from the start.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 05:00:56 PM by Nick »
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Calvin6s

« Reply #92 on: February 18, 2015, 04:58:15 PM »
Sad as this may sound, Better Call Saul is the first show not on Comedy Central in many years I've followed from day 1. Everything else I always watch on DVD after the fact, or catch up a few seasons in and then watch from there on out. Hell, even this series only partially counts as I'd probably never have started watching it already if it wasn't for breaking bad.

I guess I typically wait till a show is a few seasons in at least and get a good look at the feelings towards a show on a hole than jumping in from the start.

That's what I used to do, but for some reason lately I decided to put a couple new shows that look interesting in the DVR bank.  There is so much crap that it feels like work instead of relaxing.  I need to go back to my old method (your method).  I might miss that one cult classic that was only on for one season, but its just TV.

Offline Marion Crane

• Smile, you're on MurderTV.
« Reply #93 on: February 21, 2015, 02:10:51 PM »
Haven't watched ep3 yet so I skipped the last page or so, but is the nail salon that Saul uses for his office the same one he tried to get Jesse to buy for his money laundering?  I think it is.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #94 on: February 22, 2015, 02:29:36 AM »
It is.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #95 on: February 22, 2015, 10:45:30 AM »
I'm liking the show so far. I recently started re-watching BB, and I will say that while S1 was good, the show definitely improved over time. S1 on its own legs was not fantastic, but it set up a great show, and only got better with each season IMO.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #96 on: February 22, 2015, 11:00:27 AM »
I think all the post-hype and all the often revisited moments online has made some people forget how slow Breaking Bad was a lot of the time. Not saying it wasn't good, it is one of the best shows, but it was really slow almost all the time. Which is probably why I haven't got as my #1 show as many others do.

Calvin6s

« Reply #97 on: February 22, 2015, 04:18:38 PM »
I think the average person didn't start watching Breaking Bad until it was a season or two in and started to hear how good it was.  I recall watching two seasons in a short amount of time via Netflix.  So that probably contributed to not realizing the slow pace.

I do know that while I was catching up, I kept telling myself "last episode today ... got things to do".  Then that episode ended and all I can think is "I gotta see what happens next ... one more"

Calvin6s

« Reply #98 on: February 23, 2015, 11:03:43 PM »
I'm no longer on the fence.  After tonight's episode, I'm a full fledged fan of this show.  I just didn't want the episode to end tonight.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #99 on: February 24, 2015, 05:09:42 AM »
Yeah it was a great one.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: February 24, 2015, 07:39:21 AM »
I'm no longer on the fence.  After tonight's episode, I'm a full fledged fan of this show.  I just didn't want the episode to end tonight.

I agree. I jumped off the fence and am now playing in it's back yard. I like the way they've used the past to give you a frame of mind of what he's capable of and the way he thinks.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #101 on: February 24, 2015, 07:46:44 AM »
I jumped off the fence and am now camping in it's back yard.

Fixed ;)

Calvin6s

« Reply #102 on: February 24, 2015, 07:55:29 AM »
The whole episode was great, but the beginning was nonstop great lines
1.  I'll come to your McDonald's where you work.  I'll buy the whole damn place and I'll fire ya.  I'll say drop your mops you buttholes cause you're fired.  Then I'll roundhouse kick you right in your stupid head.
2.  You wanna talk about legal ... I mean slavery ... human slavery
3.  You're the kind of lawyer guilty people hire (here's your bribe)
4.  You assume that criminals are gonna be smarter than they are

All that in just the first few minutes.

This episode was just plain great from beginning to end.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #103 on: February 24, 2015, 08:06:33 AM »
2.  You wanna talk about legal ... I mean slavery ... human slavery

Those lines of dialogue were indeed funny. "Yeah... This is right up there with that.."  :lol

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #104 on: February 24, 2015, 02:08:31 PM »
Totally agree, that was an awesome episode.  Great to see a bit of action happening, and the 'Saul' character taking shape.