Author Topic: Better Call Saul (SPOILERS)  (Read 112866 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: Better Call Saul (SPOILERS)
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2015, 08:34:17 PM »
For the record, threads that deal with a current subject are inherently expected to have spoilers of all readily available content.

For example, this thread is obviously going to have info about recent episodes as soon as they air, and nobody should have to feel to hide their feelings or spoilers. The onus is on people who haven't seen the episode to avoid the thread till they do.

On the other hand, let's say this is the Rush thread, and someone obtained a legitimate copy of the setlist for the tour that started in a few months. That's what you would need to hide. And again, once the tour starts, if you don't want spoilers, don't come into the thread.

Hope that makes sense.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Calvin6s

« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2015, 10:26:28 PM »
Just finished the 2nd episode.

When you immediately check your DVR schedule to see if you have to wait a whole week for the next episode, you know you are hooked.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2015, 10:45:45 PM »
I got spoiled on Breaking Bad. Waited till the series ended to start it, and as such was able to pick up the seasons and basically binge watch the entire season. I could barely stand the 5 minutes it took me to piss and grab a drink between episodes, and now... an entire week? fgafogijafogkljafgl;
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2015, 02:13:16 AM »
That desert scene was fucking tense.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2015, 04:57:51 AM »
Just caught up on the two.  I'm liking it a lot more than I thought I would.  Michael McKean's character is so awesomely weird.  And Bob Odenkirk makes me nostalgic for BB.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2015, 09:23:05 AM »
Every time I see Michael McKean in something, I secretly hope for Harry Shearer and Christopher Guest to do a guest spot.

Calvin6s

« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2015, 01:34:02 PM »
Every time I see Michael McKean in something, I secretly hope for Harry Shearer and Christopher Guest to do a guest spot.

That is Season 4.  As part of McKean's therapy for his illness, he must play ELECTRIC guitar.  Spinal Tap is born.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2015, 02:23:41 PM »
I like the small ties to Breaking Bad and it is my favorite tv show ever. But Gilligan appears to be playing it smart in his writing of where this show may go. So far 2 brilliant episodes. Odenkirk is amazing as usual. I am sure we will see more tie ins to BB but I like so far that the show is standing on its own merits. It is a tuff thing to do to make a sequal/prequel to the greatest tv show ever. Odenkirk already gets an emmy nod for the desert scene. This show has real potential. They have already introduced Mike into the picture who was Gus right hand. Will be interesting to see where they take it. Possibly a Gus intro soon? That would be awesome.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2015, 02:38:58 PM »
I hope they don't bring Fring in too soon (from what I gather I believe Mike ends up working as Saul's PI?), or even at all.  I would hate for this show to bring in too many BB elements and sorta ride those coattails out.  Especially since - like you say, the show stands on its own merits.  I think its amazing that that's evident just two episodes in. 

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2015, 02:44:50 PM »
I agree. I trust Gilligan. Inevitably there will be tie ins as we have seen (aka Tuco, Mike) but if he does it properly it can be an awesome series. I would like it to be a stand alone series, but there will be tie ins. Needs to be done to see how he became Saul. There is no way of not using BB back story to do that. One thing I really hope is if they are going to introduce  the BB guys (Jessie, Walter, he waits a loooooooooooooooong time)

Calvin6s

« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2015, 02:46:40 PM »
They have already introduced Mike into the picture who was Gus right hand. Will be interesting to see where they take it. Possibly a Gus intro soon? That would be awesome.

Tuco (sp?) was supposed to be Tuco, but was Mike supposed to be Mike ... or just a neat little cameo?  Was that made clear?  The episode 3 previews suggested Mike steps out of his role (toll booth).

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2015, 02:49:12 PM »
I'm pretty sure Mike is Mike and that he ends up working for Saul.  Which would be awesome given the shit way he went out on BB.  He was always one of my favourites.  The sticker gag had me laughing out loud. 

Calvin6s

« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2015, 02:53:24 PM »
I'm pretty sure Mike is Mike and that he ends up working for Saul.  Which would be awesome given the shit way he went out on BB.  He was always one of my favourites.  The sticker gag had me laughing out loud.

I'm trying to put together Mike's back story from BB with where he is in this one.  BB had the back story of him trying to get cash to his past criminal peers (children).  So is the toll booth gig just him in the middle of running some criminal scheme?

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2015, 03:13:03 PM »
I don't think Saul ever met Gus. I could be wrong about that, but I seem to recall something in that direction. So I'm not expecting to see him ever.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2015, 03:17:53 PM »
The way I read it Mike works for "Saul" eventually. as a PI. But he eventually works for Gus. How that tie in can be interesting. A rumour I heard is that "Saul" eventually knows Badger prior to the BB stuff. I just hope as awesome as the first 2 episodes have been is they don't destroy what BB was. But I Digress and I trust Gilligan.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2015, 03:19:35 PM »
Did Mike and Saul interact in BB at all?  I can't remember, its probably time for a re-watch.  Maybe they work together in BCS and end up having some kinda falling out leading to Mike working as a solo PI, eventually landing work with Fring. 

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2015, 03:21:36 PM »
I don't think Saul ever met Gus. I could be wrong about that, but I seem to recall something in that direction. So I'm not expecting to see him ever.

I do not think they did either,not face to face. But they both knew of each other.They had to.  But the Mike/Gus/ Saul connection exists.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2015, 03:25:04 PM »
Spoilers for those who've never seen Breaking Bad:

When Saul got Walt a meeting with Gus, he had no clue who Gus was.  He knew "a guy who knows a guy..who knows another guy."

Jessie did state that Saul got Emilio and Krazy-8 out of hot water before, so we might see those guys.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2015, 03:26:13 PM »
I would have to do a recheck  but Saul and Gus never met in person but knew of each other. The tie would be Mike to Saul and Gus. If I recall there is an epsisode where Saul refers to Gus. HMMMMMM now im doing a BB binge lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2015, 03:28:44 PM »
Right, but that was long after Walt was associated with him.  Prior to Walt working for Gus, Saul had no idea who Gus was. 

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2015, 03:30:44 PM »
Spoilers for those who've never seen Breaking Bad:

When Saul got Walt a meeting with Gus, he had no clue who Gus was.  He knew "a guy who knows a guy..who knows another guy."

Jessie did state that Saul got Emilio and Krazy-8 out of hot water before, so we might see those guys.

That's right. I forgot that. I was going to say that Saul already knew Krazy 8.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2015, 03:33:27 PM »
Right, but that was long after Walt was associated with him.  Prior to Walt working for Gus, Saul had no idea who Gus was.

in BB yes. But if Mike was already working for Gus, well eventually, the Saul .........Mike connection can exist.

Calvin6s

« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2015, 03:40:11 PM »

But what if Saul met Gus the businessman with no knowledge of Gus the drug kingpin.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2015, 03:52:30 PM »
good point. he just owned a few chicken joints. but I still find the gus-mike-saul thing interesting

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2015, 10:34:14 PM »

I'm trying to put together Mike's back story from BB with where he is in this one.  BB had the back story of him trying to get cash to his past criminal peers (children).  So is the toll booth gig just him in the middle of running some criminal scheme?
How far back timewise is BCS? His granddaughter could be an infant.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2015, 08:29:27 AM »
I wasn't a huge fan of Tuco in BB. He worked as a character that lasted the length of time he did, but I think I would've got tired of him had he been around longer, and I didn't get why people seemed to rave about him so much after. So when the first episode ended with him, my first thought was, "ah fuck, really?"

The desert scene made me a bit more optimistic though. It played up to his character - paranoid, savage, not as bright as the best - absolutely perfectly. And they seem to be going to utilise his brother (?) as much as, maybe even more than him, and he seemed interesting.

Jimmy bartering with Tuco was hilarious.

Calvin6s

« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2015, 02:37:55 PM »
Jimmy bartering with Tuco was hilarious.

I liked that Jimmy/Saul was across the finish line, but actually put that in jeopardy to *save* the other guys.  Everything he does is always a question of "is this all about himself or does he actually care about others?"

I'm betting that most people in real life would have just kept walking once they saw their own finish line.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2015, 02:58:31 PM »
Depends on how much guilt they would've felt since he kept saying that he was the one that put them in that situation. He just seems like a normal guy trying to be shrewd that got caught with his pants down instead of a sociopath that would've just let Tuco have his way with them once he was freed.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2015, 03:50:15 PM »
Jimmy gave his all to save those idiots, but I think Saul would've walked.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #64 on: February 14, 2015, 04:36:26 PM »
True. Saul was a real puss towards the end of BB.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2015, 11:00:06 AM »
True. Saul was a real puss towards the end of BB.

Yeah, looks like he's picking up where he left off.  Not sure what to make of this show just yet.  The appearances of Mike and Tuco aren't really doing much for the show.  Maybe too early to tell.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2015, 02:50:27 AM »
So since a name change is imminent, I bet they're going to address the origins of "S'all good, man."

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2015, 10:29:44 PM »
Pretty good episode tonight- I hope they can keep this up...

I'm still trying to wrap my head around a show all about Saul, as a serious character no less, but I'm getting there.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Calvin6s

« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2015, 11:33:04 PM »
Purposely avoided this thread while I watched the episode.  Banks is definitely Mike.  First time I saw him, I figured it was just a cameo by Banks rather than Banks' character, Mike.

The fact that Saul keeps being put in situations where the *honorable* move is the least safe move is nice screenwriting.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #69 on: February 16, 2015, 11:58:21 PM »
Of course he's Mike. I didn't even know that was being questioned. That would be a godawful "cameo" to throw Banks in and not have him be Mike. Why confuse the fanbase that way? And why show him in the trailer?

Not to mention it was announced a long time ago that Mike would show up from time to time in BCS.