Author Topic: What DT song would you want in Rock Band?  (Read 3504 times)

Offline npiazza91

What DT song would you want in Rock Band?
« on: February 08, 2015, 08:22:40 AM »
Apparently Harmonix is thinking about making a new RB game, most likely RB4.  Whether you like it or dislike it, (I only like the drums and maybe the singing, depending on the song), you have to admit, it would be cool to get another DT song in RB, due to how fun Panic Attack was.  Besides, DragonForce needs to be knocked off their throne.  I was able to beat Constant Motion on Hard (Drums), almost beat it on Expert, but Panic Attack destroyed me even on Hard.  Heck, it was hard to 5 star on Medium.  Here's my choices.

The Glass Prison
Six Degrees (final song in game, complete with CGI cutscenes about the story in between sections)
A Nightmare to Remember
Blind Faith (would be so fun on drums)
The Great Debate (would probably never get in, but this one would be one of the hardest in their discography)
Breaking All Illusions
Scenes From a Memory (Album DLC)

Offline yeah_93

Re: What DT song would you want in Rock Band?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 08:42:23 AM »
In the Name of God. Would be almost impossible. But let's be realistic, nobody wants to play a 10+ minute song. My friends used to moan when we played Panic Attack, which was like 7 minutes long or so. The Enemy Inside would be a good choice. The Dance of Eternity too.

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 09:05:25 AM »
Yeah that's true.  However, Free Bird is 9 minutes and TTFAF was I think 8 minutes.  Don't forget about The Camera Eye (10-11 minutes), which was DLC.  I think they can get away with Blind Faith or BITS (if they took out the long intro and just started when the band comes in).

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 09:46:15 AM »
The Glass Prison :heart
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 10:31:49 AM »
Though having a long one would be cool, I don't think it'd be all that fun. Besides maybe The Glass Prison  :xbones

But seriously speaking:

The Enemy Inside
Behind The Veil
Under A Glass Moon
Any of the heavy songs off of Awake
Fatal Tragedy

I think any of those would be a ton of fun to play on RB
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 11:07:42 AM »
Take The Time, Live In Tokyo.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline Sir Walrus Cauliflower

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 11:41:55 AM »
Would like to see:
TGP
BAI
BITS
ITNOG
TDS
IT
ANTR

Would realistically like to see:
TEI
TDOE
OTBOA
UAGM
AIA
I feel strangely honored to be following up a post from Sir Walrus Cauliflower.

Offline MajorBoobage

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2015, 12:54:26 PM »
Change of Seasons definitely, 23 minutes of pure joy :D
It seems that they're entering an area of extreme hazard. A zone of some sort. A dangerous one.

Offline Shine

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2015, 01:19:07 PM »
Wait for Sleep.
lake of fire

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2015, 01:53:08 PM »
The Enemy Inside (holy shit no one will be able to beat it on like any instrument)
Enigma Machine
IT, 8VM, or ITPOE (ala 2112 in Warriors of Rock)
These Walls
BITS or BAI
The Dance of Eternity (have fun!)
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2015, 02:02:47 PM »
It has to be The Dance of Eternity. It would be the hardest song on all four instruments. If I were to pick a vocal song, I think Take the Time, Metropolis, Trial of Tears ,The Glass Prison, or Breaking All Illusions would be great. I would love for one of the six epics to be put in the game, but that probably wouldn't happen. Still, how awesome would it be to play A Change of Seasons or Octavarium in Rock Band?
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2015, 02:20:06 PM »
The Dance of Eternity is pretty intense, but it's nowhere near the hardest on any instrument. I know, because I've charted it before. (I used to make GHTunes customs when those were still relevant)

Take the Time would be fantastic I feel but I'm biased.

We'd probably get As I Am or something from DT12 though, unfortunately. As I Am = a fun solo stuck in the middle of a relatively uneventful song.

also y'all way underestimate the skill of GH/RB players omg  :rollin

Personal wishlist tho:
Take the Time
6:00
Erotomania
Hell's Kitchen
Beyond This Life
The Dance of Eternity
The Glass Prison
This Dying Soul
Stream of Consciousness
Bridges in the Sky (sans intro ofc)
Breaking All Illusions

y'all have to realize that barring putting epics into separate songs it's way too long for guitar hero and there's too much downtime in pretty much all of them
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 02:26:40 PM by Parama »

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2015, 02:23:11 PM »
Under a glass moon, this dying soul  :lol the final part  :lol, dance of eternity.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2015, 02:27:11 PM »
and yeah, This Dying Soul actually *would* be about the hardest song they could put in, dear lord, that would make Dragonforce beg for mercy

oh yeah Fatal Tragedy would be great too, right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP2P9IRD0Ls
^a thing I did an eternity ago (not my video tho)

sweet i found the compilation I made for Awake
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnxX17cTzPs
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 02:40:04 PM by Parama »

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2015, 02:58:07 PM »
The Dance of Eternity is pretty intense, but it's nowhere near the hardest on any instrument. I know, because I've charted it before. (I used to make GHTunes customs when those were still relevant)

Which ones have you made? I messed around with custom songs for a bit and put one together for Home. The solo transcription is lousy, but the rest of it was really fun to play!

I'm a huge fan of Rock Band, and credit it with teaching me how to play drums. I went from struggling to play any song on medium, to getting 5 stars on Panic Attack on Expert. Not without annoying the crap out of my family in the process.  :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2015, 03:00:18 PM »
I did A Change of Seasons in parts on GHTunes as well, and Under a Glass Moon, and a really bad Rendition of Metropolis. And the instrumental sections of The Glass Prison + In The Name of God. And uhh. Maybe more I forget. Those are all 360 GHTunes songs though.

And then there's a lot more here... https://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=93263&start=0

(note: really by guitar hero community standards I'm an average player, hah...)

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2015, 04:50:41 PM »
Most of you are probably aware, but since RB3, it actually started using real instruments, including a full fret 6 string guitar, a 2 octave keyboard (24 notes) and more realistic drum set up. So it really has evolved beyond the whole plastic guitar thing and can actually be used as a viable tool to learn how to actually play music. Although OTBOA was the only DT song that had "Pro instrumental" charts written for it at this point, the piano is actually quite fun to play on that one.

Considering the history;
- GH4 (WT): Pull Me Under
- RB (DLC): Constant Motion
- RB2: Panic Attack
- RB3: (DLC) On The Backs of Angels
It wouldn't at all surprise me if The Enemy Inside came out for the next game. Personally I wouldn't mind some of the piano oriented stuff to show up now that it's not restricted by guitar (RB3 even had a couple of songs that were exclusively piano as the lead instrument and didn't even have guitar at all). But if DT were to show up on Rock Band it'll probably be something heavy, fast, or epic.

Edit: https://www.giantbomb.com/videos/rushs-2112-headlines-guitar-hero-warriors-of-rock/2300-2929/
It'd be completely epic if they dedicated a whole bit of the game to an epic or concept like GH6 (WOR) did with Rush's 2112, complete with Geddy Lee Commentary in between parts. Six Degrees or SFAM might be able to lend itself to this kind of thing but that's getting really optimistic, I'd still be happy with any ol' DT song really.  :xbones

Off the top of my head, I think Voices, Beyond this Life, Lines in the Sand would lend themselves pretty well to all 5 instruments with these sort of games.  :metal
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 05:45:05 PM by Rodni Demental »

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2015, 05:44:38 PM »
I once did an entire Guitar Hero 2 worth of DT songs (just the regular 40-song game, not the bonus tracks). Charted them off of actually good tabs, so they were pretty dead accurate. Still have them somewhere on my external drive. This Dying Soul was the only one I couldn't beat, because of the outro.

I find that, at least when it comes to guitar parts, you've got the TTT live versions I've mentioned above, ITNOG, Home, and FT. The Killing Hand from WDADRU with the extra solo is killer as well. Those are probably the most consistently engaging parts to play. Much as I love the epics, I found them a bit anticlimactic as a playing experience, because the guitar parts frankly aren't that hard (ITPOE2 solo and TTTSTA excepted). They probably would be more engaging with full band though.

Funny thing is that WDADU as a whole is kind of underrated for this. Afterlife, AFIL, and TKH are all really a blast on guitar (though I use James-era versions for the last two).
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2015, 06:39:11 PM »
oh god right, Afterlife is one of the best songs guitar-hero wise but unfortunately I doubt it'll ever see a game like this
And I like Take The Time album version way too much compared to the live versions, even if they're way longer and have more soloing and stuff. They'd un-fade the song too if they had it in guitar hero, which would fix the one issue I have with the song :P

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2015, 07:23:58 PM »
oh god right, Afterlife is one of the best songs guitar-hero wise but unfortunately I doubt it'll ever see a game like this
And I like Take The Time album version way too much compared to the live versions, even if they're way longer and have more soloing and stuff. They'd un-fade the song too if they had it in guitar hero, which would fix the one issue I have with the song :P

Well in addition to the extended outro solo (perfect for a final song), TTT '93 has the crazy high note at the end for the vox. The other versions' (CIM etc.) weaknesses bring them back toward an even/lesser plane with the studio (especially unfaded).

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2015, 08:26:30 PM »
Anyone remember the unfaded version on the instrumental demos for I&W? I don't know what they played after the fade on the actual I&W studio version, but the stuff that they left on the demo.. Well, let's just say you can see why they decided to fade out..  :biggrin:

Offline jammindude

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2015, 09:15:11 PM »
In the Name of God. Would be almost impossible. But let's be realistic, nobody wants to play a 10+ minute song. My friends used to moan when we played Panic Attack, which was like 7 minutes long or so. The Enemy Inside would be a good choice. The Dance of Eternity too.

Bull crap.   I *LOVE* playing the long songs.   My son and I play Rime of the Ancient Mariner and Phantom of the Opera....and And Justice for All.    And when we play GH, we'll play the full 2112.     The Camera Eye is another popular one in our house.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jammindude

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2015, 09:16:39 PM »
As far as a DT song, I would actually vote for either The Looking Glass, The Bigger Picture or Behind the Veil.   Those would all be a BLAST.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2015, 09:40:46 PM »

Bull crap.   I *LOVE* playing the long songs.   My son and I play Rime of the Ancient Mariner and Phantom of the Opera....and And Justice for All.    And when we play GH, we'll play the full 2112.     The Camera Eye is another popular one in our house.
Wow those are all on Rock Band? That's awesome! I stopped playing those games after Guitar Hero III/the first Rock Band I think. Sounds like I've missed out on some awesome tracks.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline yeah_93

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2015, 09:56:12 PM »

It's not like I don't. But most people aren't accustomed to long epics, they like shorter songs.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2015, 10:09:09 PM »
There aren't a lot of really long songs that justify their length and they're a real drag to play through, especially for people going for FC's. Most of them have some downtime, which works musically but not for a guitar game

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2015, 10:27:15 PM »
There aren't a lot of really long songs that justify their length and they're a real drag to play through, especially for people going for FC's. Most of them have some downtime, which works musically but not for a guitar game

Yeah. TBOT is my favorite solo but I was surprised at how boring it was to play, for example. In a RB context though, there's always some give and take with what instruments are the focus when, so the epics and what not would be more palatable there than GH.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2015, 11:11:52 PM »
I charted the solo by itself in like GH5 or something on Wii so you can't play it anymore woops
But the solo itself is actually pretty fun
A lot of downtime in the song though

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2015, 11:43:26 PM »
I charted the solo by itself in like GH5 or something on Wii so you can't play it anymore woops
But the solo itself is actually pretty fun
A lot of downtime in the song though

Yeah that's what I meant. The solo is fun, the fast run when the band kicks in is intense (and very tough), but the rest of the song is background riffs and chords that function fine to move the song along, but are essentially worthless in a GH context.

Offline wizard of Thought

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2015, 02:23:20 PM »
I`d go for The Mirror, Dance of Eternity and Train of Thought as album DLC. They could even put out Vacant, I wouldn`t care about this one.

Offline VincentMDO

« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2015, 04:45:41 PM »
For people wanting I&W and SFAM, C3 customcreators. Search for knowledge. ;D
"So would tell him what to do... Would you?"

Offline The Cat Of Tuscany

• "The truth is the truth and the only thing you can do is to live with it."
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2015, 06:44:45 PM »
Finally Free would be great; they could probably cut out about the final two minutes.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2015, 07:06:46 PM »

Do you have both Blackened and AJFA? If so, is there any possible way I can get those from you?

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2015, 01:19:23 PM »
I believe they took Blackened and AJFA off of the RBN.

If I misread your post and you already knew that my bad.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2015, 01:38:18 PM »
I believe they took Blackened and AJFA off of the RBN.

If I misread your post and you already knew that my bad.

Yeah I know. The only way to get those songs is from someone elses ps3. I have Spyro the Dragon on mine, and my brother was able to log in to my account from another ps3 and download the game onto it.