Author Topic: Petrucci and Geddy Lee on season premiere of VH1's "That Metal Show" on Feb. 21  (Read 33737 times)

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
Man, feck everything about Suddenlink. They've been fighting with Viacom for 6 months now about pricing... so I'm going to miss out on this stuff.

Offline Anguyen92

They should have had MP and JP on at the same time.

Maybe, "That Metal Show" will shock the world and it ends being a surprise where MP shows up when JP had no idea he was coming.

Edit: Oh wait, this is taped ahead of time.  NVM. That ain't happening.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
They really should retitle the show from "That Metal Show" to "That Old Metal Show."
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
Knowing Trunk and Portnoy are buddies, part of me is worried Trunk might invite him to fill that guest role playing drums going to commercial break for this prog-themed episode.  Hope that doesn't happen.  It would be nice to let Petrucci get his moment in the sun.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline DeanTheater

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We'll do it Live! ....^&*%! We'll Do It Live!!
Well, I will watch.  Petrucci is alwaysa good interview. Probably chime in about direction of the new album

Offline Anguyen92

I don't think that JP is going to do some talking at all.  I think he will do that bit where he plays a killer solo when they go to commercial.  Similar to that example, previously stated, where MP plays the drums when Lars was on.

Offline DeanTheater

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We'll do it Live! ....^&*%! We'll Do It Live!!
I don't think that JP is going to do some talking at all.  I think he will do that bit where he plays a killer solo when they go to commercial.  Similar to that example, previously stated, where MP plays the drums when Lars was on.
well, then I will watch JP flex his beard and throw down some chops into the commercial break then!

Offline TheCountOfNYC

That's what he's doing. Eddie, Jim, and Don will usually talk a little bit to the guest musician and the musician will usually throw a few comments out there throughout the show and he'll usually be a part of the throw down at the end but that's all for speaking.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Maybe that can lead to Alex and JP talking about something in the future.  It would be crazy to have DT open for Rush.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline lithium112

Maybe that can lead to Alex and JP talking about something in the future.  It would be crazy to have DT open for Rush.

That would be kinda weird because I think respect-wise, DT should be the opener for Rush, but popularity-wise I think DT should be the headliner.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus

That would be kinda weird because I think respect-wise, DT should be the opener for Rush, but popularity-wise I think DT should be the headliner.
No way is DT more popular than Rush.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
Rush is both more popular and respected. At least with older fans but maybe younger DT fans would not be so hyped. They are still quite a different style of music even though both are progressive rock bands. It's like Symphony X and Yes would do a tour together.

But well, I'm in if it happens someday.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Anguyen92

How so?  Rush has been doing good numbers in arenas, by themselves, for a lot of years now while DT's been doing respectable numbers in some decent 2-3k capacity theaters.  I mean DT opened for Iron Maiden back in 2010 and, while Rush is not as big as Maiden, they are not that far behind in terms of arena attendance.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!

You need to do some homework.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
There is no universe in which DT is more popular than Rush.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
But plenty including this one where DT are better.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Not even sure why something like that would be posted.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

Sure, but no one's discussing that.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
I can totally see Eddie Trunk making awkward 'so, how's DT life without Portnoy' questions.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
I could also see Trunk sitting JP down and bringing out MP as a surprise Jerry Springer-esque encounter.

Offline Anguyen92

I could also see Trunk sitting JP down and bringing out MP as a surprise Jerry Springer-esque encounter.

:lol .  My thoughts as well.  Maybe if things get too testy in that scenario, JP will throw some chairs around with his bear arms.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
I can totally see Eddie Trunk making awkward 'so, how's DT life without Portnoy' questions.

JP - Just fine - Working for BLAB-bermouth yet ?  :angry:

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Actually, I doubt Trunk would have the balls to do that.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Actually, I doubt Trunk would have the balls to do that.

Trying to make a big splash on the first episode of the season! That would be like a reality TV show.  DT has some experience with that.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
Trunk might be on the douchey side, but I absolutely cannot see him trying to pull something like that.  I'm sure he knows the dynamic between those two and knows that it would be in fairly poor taste.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
I almost want to see that happen.

almost.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

Has JP seen MP since his departure? We know he sent him an email at some point, right? So I doubt it'd be anything but anticlimactic. Now, James on the other hand...
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Trunk might be on the douchey side, but I absolutely cannot see him trying to pull something like that.  I'm sure he knows the dynamic between those two and knows that it would be in fairly poor taste.

Judging by the looks of him does he think anything has poor taste?

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
Two of my favorite artists of all time...I will put up with Trunk's pompous inflated ego to watch this!!!

Exactly how I feel and I'm sure we're not alone in this case.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
I've got my DVR all setup to record this. I've never watched the program, so based on the comments above I'm not to keen to watch the interview. We'll see.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
I've got my DVR all setup to record this. I've never watched the program, so based on the comments above I'm not to keen to watch the interview. We'll see.

Oooh, thanks for reminding me to set this up

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran

No way is DT more popular than Rush.

It's not even a competition. Whenever I talk to someone about DT who I haven't talked to before, the conversation goes:

Them: "Who is Dream Theater? Never heard of them."
Me: " Do you know Rush?"
Them: "Oh yeah. Tom Sawyer, right?"
Me: "Kinda like that, but with a metal edge."

Works without fail. Also, if DT manages to sell out Boston's TD Garden at $100 a pop 40 years into their career, we can talk again.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
I usually describe DT as Pink Floyd (prog rock) meets Metallica (heavy metal).  I like the "Rush with a metal edge" description too.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Rush + Iron Maiden + Pink Floyd + Metallica

that's how I describe 'em
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Rush + Iron Maiden + Pink Floyd + Metallica

that's how I describe 'em

lol just go off of the cover albums they've done