Author Topic: Petrucci and Geddy Lee on season premiere of VH1's "That Metal Show" on Feb. 21  (Read 33753 times)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
I don't think I would say that either Petrucci or Satriani are behind Vai in terms of ability.  And if so, not by much.  I think it is more, as already stated, that neither of them can match Vai in terms of stage presence and showmanship.  Add to that, in terms of instrumentals, I think Vai's are much more creative and interesting than Satriani's by far.  Satch can play like few others.  But that doesn't mean watching him play is interesting.

Im only judging by the G3 DVD so I may be offbase here, but Vai's band also had a few other performers who really added to his set (Macalpine and Sheehan).

And I am trying to remember if Gregg Bissonette was in the band at that time too.  Vai always has a killer lineup. 

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
He has that face on all the time.  :lol

He DID kind of have a "poker face" during most of the show, but I've seen videos of Rush where he looked happy.

he would actually smile enough to show some TEETH!
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés

And I am trying to remember if Gregg Bissonette was in the band at that time too.  Vai always has a killer lineup.

The drummer was Jeremy Colson. He replaced Virgil Donati.
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
I must have completely missed that post.   :lol

Offline Cable

The guitar giveaway was cool.

I did not see this mentioned? But it did seemed staged. Trunk happened to have a musician's company hat, when he doesn't play anything to the best of my knowledge? I doubt many music fans who do not play instruments know companies outside of Fender, Marshall, Gibson and maybe Tama or something.

And JP happened to have not a current model (Majesty) guitar with him? I do not recall seeing anything but the Majesty line on  this past tour. And to me, JP only plays the current, newest and most best model ever he is pimping on each tour. Which has pretty much seemed to be every two years to match an album/tour cycle since the guitars first came out.
---

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
The guitar giveaway was cool.

I did not see this mentioned? But it did seemed staged. Trunk happened to have a musician's company hat, when he doesn't play anything to the best of my knowledge? I doubt many music fans who do not play instruments know companies outside of Fender, Marshall, Gibson and maybe Tama or something.

And JP happened to have not a current model (Majesty) guitar with him? I do not recall seeing anything but the Majesty line on  this past tour. And to me, JP only plays the current, newest and most best model ever he is pimping on each tour. Which has pretty much seemed to be every two years to match an album/tour cycle since the guitars first came out.
Maybe JP brought the hat as a prize to give away, which is why he spoke up when Eddie said it was a bad prize.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
That giveaway was most certainly staged.  Cool move by John, no doubt, but it not the first time that has happened.   It happens once or twice a season, actually. 

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
He has that face on all the time.  :lol

He DID kind of have a "poker face" during most of the show, but I've seen videos of Rush where he looked happy.

he would actually smile enough to show some TEETH!

That was Geddy's "Why did I agree to do this again? What was I thinking? " face. Seemed like he had a genuine appreciation for John though.   If nothing else, I'd guess they have each other's numbers now.

Calvin6s

That giveaway was most certainly staged.  Cool move by John, no doubt, but it not the first time that has happened.   It happens once or twice a season, actually.

Well, it was definitely staged, but I hope the contestant was still random.

Offline Cable

Well, it was definitely staged, but I hope the contestant was still random.

He seemed surprised at least, drawing attention to himself saying "shit" the second time because of the surprise I feel.
---

Offline djbj

I don't see what reason they would have to stage the contestant. I think they just set it up so that a certain item placed in the "box of junk" if picked triggers the giving of the guitar as a prize.

By the way, the TMS Top 5 for next week is "Top Five Side Projects", and I thought it would be cool if we could get Liquid Tension Experiment (or some other DT-related project) into the fan-voted Top 5 that they announce on the show. You can vote here:
https://www.facebook.com/thatmetalshow/app_194975693850063

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
Anyone else think the Anthrax episode was lame-o?   I'm not a fan of Anthrax music at all, but I do like the guys (especially Charlie).  But the "in-jokes" weren't that funny, I couldn't possibly care less about who was at Eddie's wedding, and Eddie was a big tool to the girl that won the guitar.   I secretly think Ed made up the "I didn't hear Randy" thing so she COULD get the guitar, but he didn't have to keep adding "Ma'am, you only won that on a technicality!".  STFU. 

One winner, one loser so far.   Not high hopes for the next one either.

Calvin6s

Didn't even think about watching the next episode, but I'll check out the Anthrax one now that you mentioned it.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
I recorded the series but saw that it was Anthrax and decided not to watch it.  You'd think they'd have a better follow on show after Geddy Lee and John Petrucci.  ???
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Calvin6s

That Anthrax episode was a total train wreck.

This is the problem with That Metal Show.  I imagine somebody that doesn't share my love of metal is over and watching it with me.  I'd be embarrassed to no end.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I think that's far fetched.  You wouldn't put it on knowing that they don't like metal.

BTW, are people living in a cave about this show.  It's the same formula since it started.  If you don't like it, don't watch.  Simple.

I'm like Dublagent66, there are some guest that I don't care to see so I just delete the recording.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Calvin6s

Come on.  There were some really big flubs in just the Anthrax episode.  How many times were they looking around wondering if they were still on the air or silence because they were expecting a segment transition that didn't happen.

Then they did the ask each present member of Anthrax questions like "what song do you wish you had created?" and they basically said they answered this last time they were on and gave the same answers.  At the end of the segment Charlie Benante said something like "well that segment went great <sarcasm>"

And Eddie Trunk takes the Stump the Trunk segment from fun to awkward and angry each and every time.  Even Frank Bello started joking "this is an act."  Sadly, I don't think it is.

How can you make a guitar giveaway painful?  It should be fun and nothing but high fives all around.  The only time I've seen something worse was when I went to a Michael Lee Firkins clinic, they gave away one of his Yamaha guitars, the store owner wouldn't hand it over until the winner paid the obligatory tax ... so the winner said "keep your crappy guitar".  That's what kind of a train wreck the Anthrax show was.

At least edit the bad stuff out.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
That's the show. It's not a high budget.  it's 2 comedians and a music guy. It's not changed in 6 years yet people are appalled.

I don't get the outrage. It's a waste of outrage
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Calvin6s

I don't get the defense.  It's a waste of defense  :-*

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
 :lol

Go ahead, continue bashing our modern day Wayne's World like it's a Pulitzer Prize.  I'm not defending it, I'm mocking people like you and your outrage. :lol
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 07:29:41 PM by kingshmegland »

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
I agree with kingmeshland. You guys take the show way too seriously.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Well there is nothing wrong with pointing out how awkward the show can be.  I watch when I want to see the guest or because nothing else is on so I have my DVR set to automatically record new episodes.  Yea, the show has been the same, but I don't get why they don't improve on it.  If its been 6 seasons, why are these guys still so awkward at doing this?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Because they are not professionals.  Like I said, it's Wayne's World for metal.  Two metal loving comedians and a past record executive that is a DJ now.  It's goofy, I know but it is what it is.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
It definitely is NOT a show to be taken too seriously. The best part of it is watching Jim and Don ragging on Eddie. Eddie just annoys me to no end because he is like the kid in high school that wanted to be cool but no other group would pay attention to him so he snuck in with the rocker group. 

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
That's the show. It's not a high budget.  it's 2 comedians and a music guy. It's not changed in 6 years yet people are appalled.

This.

I agree with kingmeshland. You guys take the show way too seriously.

This.

It definitely is NOT a show to be taken too seriously. The best part of it is watching Jim and Don ragging on Eddie. Eddie just annoys me to no end because he is like the kid in high school that wanted to be cool but no other group would pay attention to him so he snuck in with the rocker group. 

And this.

The Anthrax episode was fantastic.  The continual "Does Rudy Sarzo play on that album" after STT was awesome.  Also, between Dynasty and Unmasked, I gotta go with Scott Ian and say Alive 1.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni

Well, can't speak for anyone else, but there is certainly no "outrage", just observation.  And look, I don't need to be lectured on what the tone of the show is, I've been watching since Season 1, I've been listening to his Sirius show since 2010, and his regular radio show for even longer (I grew up in southern CT). I get the "Jersey" thing about busting on your friends.  But sometimes it goes too far (or rather gets too obscure).  One of the cool things about Ed is that he DOES know the guests he has on, and while the show is mostly window dressing, he does once in a while get something good from his guests (ala the JP-Geddy interaction, or the time MP brought his most treasured boots into the radio studio.  That was GOLD).   This last show, it was just... belabored to me.

I'll watch the next one, I'm just not eagerly anticipating it, though now that I know the Joe Elliott interview will be on, I'm more excited.  But I'm sure Lombardo will say something interesting about not being paid in Slayer or something, so...
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 10:30:13 AM by Stadler »

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran

And this.

The Anthrax episode was fantastic.  The continual "Does Rudy Sarzo play on that album" after STT was awesome.  Also, between Dynasty and Unmasked, I gotta go with Scott Ian and say Alive 1.

I have to say I agree.  When it comes to KISS for me, the older the better.  Alive!  is still their best live album all of these years later.  Even though I pick on them a lot, which is really just fun and games and not to be taken too seriously, Black Diamond is still one of my favorite songs. 

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
Yep.  Oddly, I think my favorite makeup era album is still Hotter Than Hell.  And honestly, I'm not sure I could truly say which I like better between Dynasty and Unmasked.  They're two of the albums I've listened to the least.  I suspect I would probably have to pick Dynasty, but that's like choosing which bottle of spoiled milk would you rather drink.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
Yep.  Oddly, I think my favorite makeup era album is still Hotter Than Hell.  And honestly, I'm not sure I could truly say which I like better between Dynasty and Unmasked.  They're two of the albums I've listened to the least.  I suspect I would probably have to pick Dynasty, but that's like choosing which bottle of spoiled milk would you rather drink.

Hmmm I have to go with the first CD or Destroyer as my favorites.   Regarding Dynasty or Unmasked, I would probably go with Dynasty.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni

HUGE Kiss fan to this day (Kiss Alive II was the first album I bought with my own money when it came out in '78). 

Hotter Than Hell or Rock and Roll Over as my favorites, but the only albums I really don't like are "Crazy Nights" and "Carnival of Souls".

Of Dynasty or Unmasked, probably Unmasked, though I love both of them.  To me they are kind of companion albums.   Six excellent Ace songs (well, 5 and a half, one's a cover) only one Peter song (that's a good thing; DO NOT like his "token" songs) and some of my favorite (if obscure) Gene songs.  Though I hate "Shandi" with a passion. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Just hear to pop in and say "Torpedo Girl".

That is all.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
Just hear to pop in and say "Torpedo Girl".

That is all.

Musically, I actually love that song.   Lyrically, well..., and I can do without the guy calling someone to battle stations, but musically I really enjoy it.   Certainly better than "Shandi" or "Dirty Livin'". 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Dynasty is 10 times better than Unmasked. It's not even close.

Hotter Than Hell is my favorite Kiss studio album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
How did this thread go from a discussion of two of the awesomest bands to one of the worst?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
We're not talking about Pink Floyd. ???