Author Topic: Petrucci and Geddy Lee on season premiere of VH1's "That Metal Show" on Feb. 21  (Read 33757 times)

Offline Madman Shepherd

To me, the low point was when Eddie seemed pissed that the one fan asked a question that stumped him.

Eddie goes on and on about how "It's a bit!" and gets mad that people think he is actually mad about.  The dude whines so much I think its obvious he is a little mad.  If he truly is not, its like someone seeing a pro wrestler on the street and being like, "Dude, I hope you kick Roddy Piper's ass" and the wrestler getting mad and saying, "Ya know, I actually like the guy!  You just don't get it!

When the guys were discussing the replacement of Malcolm Young and Phil Rudd of AC/DC, Eddie Trunk stated "I never have a problem with replacing members if it's done with respect and the right way".  I couldn't help wondering if that was a mild dig at JP and DT regarding the replacement his buddy.

I don't think it was a dig about that at all.  Eddie Trunk and the guys are constantly whining about Kiss and they even mentioned Tommy and Eric so it had more to do with that than anything. 

Offline TheSilentHam

• Bringin' da bacon
Guy, come on on the taking a shot at JP about replacing a band member "The right way".  No way you take a shot at someone like that face to face.  You'll ruin your brand by doing so.

You are right, Trunk takes his shots from a safe distance. It much more likely that Trunk had KISS on his mind than DT.  In fact, one of the other hosts tied the discussion to KISS.  I just thought it was an interesting coincidence, and didn't expect my comment to be "Come on man"-worthy :laugh:.  It was a silly thought esp given that "That Metal Show" is the epitome of professionalism.

Offline Dream Team

Iron Maiden is WAY more interesting than your favorite band. The 80s was the greatest era for metal ever, so of course they're going to focus primarily on those bands.

:lol

Let me guess, you're about 16? Right. Nothing from before you were born could possibly be great. Here's a brief history lesson: the 80's was the peak for traditional metal, thrash and speed metal, hair metal (of which some was great), bands like Venom, Bathory, Possessed, and Death spawned death and black metal, and Queensryche, DT, and Fates Warning spawned modern prog. Your favorite decade is a shit sandwich compared to that.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
i'm old so i'm better

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Guy, come on on the taking a shot at JP about replacing a band member "The right way".  No way you take a shot at someone like that face to face.  You'll ruin your brand by doing so.

You are right, Trunk takes his shots from a safe distance. It much more likely that Trunk had KISS on his mind than DT.  In fact, one of the other hosts tied the discussion to KISS.  I just thought it was an interesting coincidence, and didn't expect my comment to be "Come on man"-worthy :laugh:.  It was a silly thought esp given that "That Metal Show" is the epitome of professionalism.

That's more plausible.  In an interview, not to their face.

Edit: Seems to me most don't know this show and their shtick.  This is how they are and how they interview.  The Kiss thing is them railing against Gene and Paul.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline As I Am

• Banned
Didn't see this posted here yet, thought it was kinda cool to see John chat with Geddy for a bit.

https://on.vh1.com/1vVyB00
That was awesome. Geddy is amazing, but John's reverence for his hero is really impressive.

agreed. Best part of the whole show!

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

Iron Maiden is WAY more interesting than your favorite band. The 80s was the greatest era for metal ever, so of course they're going to focus primarily on those bands.

Let me guess, you're about 16? Right. Nothing from before you were born could possibly be great. Here's a brief history lesson: the 80's was the peak for traditional metal, thrash and speed metal, hair metal (of which some was great), bands like Venom, Bathory, Possessed, and Death spawned death and black metal, and Queensryche, DT, and Fates Warning spawned modern prog. Your favorite decade is a shit sandwich compared to that.

The amount of text I was thrown for just one emote is astounding. :corn

You like the '80's dude? That's cool. Just don't go throwing around assumptions about my taste and then subsequently shitting on them because I don't subscribe to it. :lol What stirred my initial reaction wasn't your opinion itself. It was the way you conveyed it (a la pretty much stating that what you love is superior in such an overzealous and objective manner).

(PS: I fucking love Iron Maiden)

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
The hate this show gets here is a little unfair imo. As far as not talking about new bands go, it's mainly a show for classic rock and metal. Sometimes they'll have newer bands on or talk about something new but the focus is on the classics. That's what their audience is there for mainly too, most people watching that show probably aren't even aware of the new metal that's out there. Nothing wrong with that. The hosts can be pretty annoying at times yea but I think the show is pretty entertaining for the most part and it's really cool to have a TV show dedicated to metal anyway.

The idea of them taking a shot at JP with the "replacing the members the right way" comment is ridiculous and extremely far fetched.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Plus, it's on VH1 CLASSIC.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
I really never quite understand how people have such a hard time distinguishing good music from bad music. All they need to do is ask me. As a general rule (in case I'm not around to ask), whatever I listen to is better than your music. Unless you listen to the same music as I do, in which case you have impeccable taste in music, dear good sir.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
:corn

Let's not start this argument again, but I've said it once and I'll say it again. There is no such thing as "good" or "bad" music because music is completely subjective.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Mosh

Exactly. And one cool thing about TMS is they're always talking about what their favorite classic artists are doing currently. It's a cool resource for that and gives attention to material that wouldn't get attention on TV otherwise.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Exactly. And one cool thing about TMS is they're always talking about what their favorite classic artists are doing currently. It's a cool resource for that and gives attention to material that wouldn't get attention on TV otherwise.

That's why I Love VH1 Classic and Palladia. They're the only true music stations that are for music.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Yeah that's definitely a great idea for a show. You can have musicians interview their idols and such. 

It is a good idea - that exact concept has just been started by one of the major financial newsletters in the US.  It's called "The Circle" and each participant gets interviewed themselves (must be chosen as the interviewer's "idol") and then they get their chance to choose theirs...........and so on. That's assuming everyone that's nominated agrees to participate of course.

I don't get to see much in the way of shows like That Metal Show due to geographical blocking but yeah - I've seen enough to know that ET is a bit of a tool - people who constantly talk themselves up and brag about their knowledge give me the shits.   I'm not so fussed about focusing on old bands because if that's their target audience , then so be it.  I'm certainly their target audience  ;D :-\

« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 06:25:32 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus

This is about 10 times more abrasive than necessary.  WTF dude
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline emtee

*edit*

D'oh wrong thread.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
I watched the episode on YT, and while the interviewers were uninformed (Clockwork Oranges? :lolpalm:) and kind of annoying, it was cool to see Geddy rank the older Rush albums and JP give away his guitar and join the live album discussion. The bonus clips were a lot better than the actual show, though.

I loved it when Trunk said we'd find out whether this year's tour will be Rush's last, and Geddy shook his head and mouthed "no you won't" :lol
Geddy looks really impressed.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/john-petrucci-that-metal-show/

Or not. :lol :lol
Yeah, Geddy has said he appreciates DT's musicianship, but the music itself is not something he feels like listening to.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
If he was really "an 8 on the technical scale", he would have been gone a long time ago, or at least Rush wouldn't look like it did through those years.

Where is the rationale for that? Look at Led Zeppelin; Jimmy Page is frankly sloppy as fuck, so sloppy in fact that official album releases of theirs contain total fudging on his part. Hasn't stopped the guy from becoming one of the most famous guitarists of all time.
Alex' contributions to Rush aren't some technical masterpieces of fretboard wizardry. He has an immediately distinguishable sound and approach to music. That's what makes him so valuable.

Not sure what Jimmy Page has to do with this.  It was essentially his band; recent "threats" to tour notwithstanding, Led Zeppelin doesn't fart without Jim Page.     We're talking about Rush, which by all accounts is far more a democracy than Zeppelin ever was. 

As for his contributions not being "technical masterpieces of fretboard wizardry", no it's not Yngwie.   But Rush's music is a challenging music, and were he not the technical equal - in whatever form that takes; "notes per second" isn't the only measure - I don't think we'd be having this conversation today. 

I guess it boils down to whatever one thinks of as "technical wizardry".  To me, integrating into a complex ensemble in a way where you can still have an identifiable sound, and creating the parts by which fans consistently point to the general overall high complexity and intricacy of your band is in itself a form of "technical wizardry".   

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
When the guys were discussing the replacement of Malcolm Young and Phil Rudd of AC/DC, Eddie Trunk stated "I never have a problem with replacing members if it's done with respect and the right way".  I couldn't help wondering if that was a mild dig at JP and DT regarding the replacement his buddy.

Almost certainly a reference to his OTHER buddy, Ace Frehley (and Peter Criss). 

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
I liked the part at the end of the throwdown between All the World's A Stage and Exit Stage Left when JP says, " Geddy, you're wrong."   :lol
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 10:43:32 AM by Dublagent66 »
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Setlist Scotty

Gotta agree with those who thought the show was fine - I think some people are a bit nit-picky about how those guys interact on the show. The way I look at it is as if it were 3 buddies chatting about music. At times you're bound to cut each other off when one of them says something that you strongly disagree with.

And on top of that, I'm pretty sure that there's some editing going on, so on occasion it might appear that one of the guys is cutting off one of the others, or the music guest, but that may not be what really happened. I'll have to ask some of my friends who have attended tapings in the past to see how long a show typically went - I know one of them asked a Stump the Trunk question that was never aired, so who knows how much else is edited out to keep the show within the time limits.

Overall, I really enjoyed the show - wish that there had been more, especially with JP chiming in the discussion, but I'm just glad he was finally able to meet and chat with Geddy in person.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Just got around to watching it.  Pretty standard TMS episode that just so happened to feature my favorite guitarist.  ET still sucks, but oh well.  I enjoyed watching it.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
Looking back, my only criticism of the episode is that it was maybe TOO focused on Rush.  A couple minutes about Dream Theater would've been nice.  I know Eddie asked if DT was playing any shows this year, and JP said festivals, but I wanted a little more.  DT has been nominated for Grammys two of the past four years and are arguably at the height of their popularity.  A short DT segment would've been nice.  But that aside, it was GREAT to see John to TV and he came across so likeable and kind.  It was a thrill to see as a fan.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 01:40:00 PM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
They don't usually focus much on the guest musician so while all of us DT fans would have liked me JP, it wasn't realistic to expect or think he would get anymore screen time than he did.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Yes, that's true. 

Interestingly enough, it is beginning to sound more and more like DT will only be doing the summer European festival circuit this year.  That is kind of interesting news.  That means that they may not have an artificially imposed deadline to finish the new album - they will write/record for a few months, then get ready for the live shows, play them, and then they could come back and finish up the album.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
They don't usually focus much on the guest musician so while all of us DT fans would have liked me JP, it wasn't realistic to expect or think he would get anymore screen time than he did.

That's a good point, however... The past episodes I've seen of the show they usually have TWO guests -- kinda like the Tonight Show.  For example, one past episode I recall had Lita Ford and the sisters from Heart as guests -- along with a separate guest musician altogether.  Another past episode I recall had Geoff Tate and Zakk Wylde as guests -- along with a separate guest musician altogether.  So, to me, JP was kind of the second guest and a guest musician all wrapped into one, lol.  That's why I was hoping for just a little bit of DT chatter. 
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

That's a good point, however... The past episodes I've seen of the show they usually have TWO guests -- kinda like the Tonight Show.  For example, one past episode I recall had Lita Ford and the sisters from Heart as guests -- along with a separate guest musician altogether.  Another past episode I recall had Geoff Tate and Zakk Wylde as guests -- along with a separate guest musician altogether.  So, to me, JP was kind of the second guest and a guest musician all wrapped into one, lol.  That's why I was hoping for just a little bit of DT chatter.

They did have another guest, the singer of Def Leppard (Joe Elliot? cant recall his name)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Yes, that's true. 

Interestingly enough, it is beginning to sound more and more like DT will only be doing the summer European festival circuit this year.  That is kind of interesting news.  That means that they may not have an artificially imposed deadline to finish the new album - they will write/record for a few months, then get ready for the live shows, play them, and then they could come back and finish up the album.

While that is possible ... I think it's unlikely. I don't know, just doesn't strike me as DT to write the album, but then sit on it for months. I think they just expect to have all the writing/tracking done before they go to Europe, and the rest can probably be dealt with on the road.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Yes, that's true. 

While that is possible ... I think it's unlikely. I don't know, just doesn't strike me as DT to write the album, but then sit on it for months. I think they just expect to have all the writing/tracking done before they go to Europe, and the rest can probably be dealt with on the road.

I agree, and am totally expecting them to play a new song during these shows.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member

Haha this post is awesome. 

ET and other guy are super annoying.  Was cool to see JP gushing haha.  Should've just let them interview each other. 

Offline Mosh

It really varies. Sometimes they'll have one guest, sometimes two. The problem with two guests is that they have to split the interview time between them, so they probably just had Geddy on so they could devote all that time to Rush. That's usually what happens when they get the big name guests. When Steve Harris was on the show it was just him too, for example.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
Wow. That was even more brutal than the last time.

They should have just had John do the interview.

I'm sure it's mostly Viacom's fault because Trunk's radio show isn't quite as annoying when taken in small doses.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Gotta agree with those who thought the show was fine - I think some people are a bit nit-picky about how those guys interact on the show. The way I look at it is as if it were 3 buddies chatting about music. At times you're bound to cut each other off when one of them says something that you strongly disagree with.

Okay, but if you have guests, it's common courtesy to not interrupt them, no?

Offline Setlist Scotty

Okay, but if you have guests, it's common courtesy to not interrupt them, no?
Definitely a common courtesy, but depending on the relationship they might still do so. For instance, on each of the 3 occasions where I interviewed MP, there were times when he interrupted me and vice-versa, and neither of us thought anything of it.

In this case, perhaps there was a lack of courtesy, but then again, as I said before, I wouldn't be surprised if to a degree there had been some editing done so that it looks like the guys might be cutting off one another or Geddy, when in reality that wasn't the case. As someone else said, ET's radio show isn't quite like this, and that's not edited. Of course, Jim and Don aren't on it either, so that could be a factor, but I'd still bet that some of it was due to editing.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.