Author Topic: Petrucci and Geddy Lee on season premiere of VH1's "That Metal Show" on Feb. 21  (Read 33748 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I'm not usually one to come out firing but these interviewers are kind of annoying :lol

Yeah, they are pretty awful.  And you can even tell Geddy is not overly impressed with their line of questioning.  The one guy not even knowing the name of the last album didn't help.  :lol :lol

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
Whoa! John gave away a guitar right on the spot!
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
That was cool.

But overall, this is pretty bad.  How has this awful show stayed on TV for 13+ seasons?  Seriously.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I love how they say 13 season when a season is six episodes .  They have 3 seasons in a year. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
Great job overall by John. He seemed really enthusiastic and excited to be there. He and Geddie are gonna be buds now.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline As I Am

• Banned
Some random thoughts....That show is HORRIBLE and ET is really a tool...........JP looks absolutely hideous with that beard...........JP played some awesome licks........glad to see JP so stoked sitting next to Geddy........Speaking of Geddy, just a class act and very funny..........cool for JP to give that guitar away......and finally............HOW THE HELL could Queen, The WHO & Pink Floyd NOT be on the top 5 British '70's bands list????????? :omg: >:( :censored :\ :tdwn :angry: :loser: :facepalm:

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
John's commercial break outros were not as spectacular as could have been.

NO US tour this year and "hopefully" album will be out in 2015. 

And a joke by Trunk about John blowing DT's chance to open for Rush on the R40 tour.......

Not as awesome a show as I had hoped.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
I'm not usually one to come out firing but these interviewers are kind of annoying :lol

Yeah, they are pretty awful.  And you can even tell Geddy is not overly impressed with their line of questioning.  The one guy not even knowing the name of the last album didn't help.  :lol :lol

To me, the low point was when Eddie seemed pissed that the one fan asked a question that stumped him.

Otherwise, I enjoyed the show. JP came off as a really great guy, and of course Geddy was the man.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
Didn't see this posted here yet, thought it was kinda cool to see John chat with Geddy for a bit.

https://on.vh1.com/1vVyB00

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
Didn't see this posted here yet, thought it was kinda cool to see John chat with Geddy for a bit.

Geddy and John's conversation was so interesting. Then the other dudes start talking again... :lol
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline TheCountOfNYC

I am glad that they talked about Alex's acceptance speech. When I watched that for the first time I couldn't believe what was actually happening. Alex is a mad genius.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
I agree. I wish John had some more opportunities to ask more questions. Was also nice to hear John give praise to the first Rush album. Geddy seemed like he really appreciated what John had to say.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
The highlight for me was the chick in the Rush shirt.  Nice fit :omg:

Would love to hear one song each from Ged's 2 bottom albums on this tour.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
How about at the end when JP finally had a chance to say something for more than four seconds, only to have Trunk interrupt him when he was saying something interesting.  Trunk is such a tool, and those other two clowns don't see much better.  Trunk acted like a crybaby when someone asked him a question he might not know the answer to.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
From what I've read here so far, it doesn't sound like something I want to watch.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline TheSilentHam

• Bringin' da bacon
When the guys were discussing the replacement of Malcolm Young and Phil Rudd of AC/DC, Eddie Trunk stated "I never have a problem with replacing members if it's done with respect and the right way".  I couldn't help wondering if that was a mild dig at JP and DT regarding the replacement his buddy.

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
How about at the end when JP finally had a chance to say something for more than four seconds, only to have Trunk interrupt him when he was saying something interesting.  Trunk is such a tool, and those other two clowns don't see much better.  Trunk acted like a crybaby when someone asked him a question he might not know the answer to.

Oh man... the interruptions really bothered me too.

Overall a fun episode and it was cool seeing JP play some stuff from his solo album and get more exposure.

But yeah it's like this every episode. They just talk about the classic hard rock/metal bands and nothing that's really current or modern. The three dudes go at it and they just interrupt the guests constantly. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
The interruptions were just unnecessary.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Skeever

Some random thoughts....That show is HORRIBLE and ET is really a tool...........JP looks absolutely hideous with that beard...........JP played some awesome licks........glad to see JP so stoked sitting next to Geddy........Speaking of Geddy, just a class act and very funny..........cool for JP to give that guitar away......and finally............HOW THE HELL could Queen, The WHO & Pink Floyd NOT be on the top 5 British '70's bands list????????? :omg: >:( :censored :\ :tdwn :angry: :loser: :facepalm:
Because it's a bunch of meatheads running the show.

Offline Skeever

That was awesome. Geddy is amazing, but John's reverence for his hero is really impressive.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone

That was awesome. Geddy is amazing, but John's reverence for his hero is really impressive.

That was probably the best question he was asked throughout the show. 

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
That's an awesome clip, it's really cool to see John and Geddy talking.

Offline Anguyen92

Geddy and John's conversation was so interesting. Then the other dudes start talking again... :lol

Wow, I didn't think it was that bad when the hosts started talking, but there were times where I was like "Dudes, shut up!"  They were pretty much adding buzz words like "true," exactly, or something like that without really adding anything else, while Geddy and JP are still talking.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran

Wow, I didn't think it was that bad when the hosts started talking, but there were times where I was like "Dudes, shut up!"  They were pretty much adding buzz words like "true," exactly, or something like that without really adding anything else, while Geddy and JP are still talking.

Well I really don't consider ET and the other two guys to have any kind of keen insight or intelligence, so I think they were tongued tied to see their interviewee (JP) ask a more impressive question than they could muster on their own.

Offline Stef1

• DTF.org Alumni
For anyone who wants to DL a copy of the show one has appeared on Dimeadozen.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

Nice.  :coolio

When the guys were discussing the replacement of Malcolm Young and Phil Rudd of AC/DC, Eddie Trunk stated "I never have a problem with replacing members if it's done with respect and the right way".  I couldn't help wondering if that was a mild dig at JP and DT regarding the replacement his buddy.

If it was, he needs to get a grip, because DT did handle replacing Portnoy the right way.

Well I really don't consider ET and the other two guys to have any kind of keen insight or intelligence, so I think they were tongued tied to see their interviewee (JP) ask a more impressive question than they could muster on their own.

Agree.  Leaving out their stupid "let's ignore everything from the last 30 years of Rush" mentality, they are just bad interviewers.  Like you said, their questions had no insight at all, and it's like they were just spitballing dumb questions off the top of their head.  JP's question was great, and I think it would be neat to see more interviews where musicians interview other musicians. 

Calvin6s

Just watched the aftershow bit.  Were the hosts trying to act like they were above the musician talk?  Kind of douchey.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Guy, come on on the taking a shot at JP about replacing a band member "The right way".  No way you take a shot at someone like that face to face.  You'll ruin your brand by doing so.

Now, leaving out the last 30 years is something they do with the long time bands.  Some people can only follow a band in their "teen" years and when a band has longevity, their music changing with the times and fans fall off.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran

That was probably the best question he was asked throughout the show.

That was actually really cool. But yeah, I immediately had the impression it's the best interaction of the show.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Calvin6s

Finally watched the whole show.  Overall, I thought the show was decent.  Seemed like a fun atmosphere and giving the guitar away was pretty cool.  Talk about a memorable moment for that guy.

Petrucci just played solo album stuff, so that part was just okay for me.  And his look was quite a bit better in live motion as opposed to still pictures.

If you are a Rush fan, then this episode was 90% Geddy so you'll probably enjoy it.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Complete video of Geddy (and JP) on That Metal Show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXjFqSoOeNg&feature=youtu.be
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 08:11:24 AM by Zydar »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline goo-goo

Who plays that music immediately after the first commercial break?

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
For anyone who wants to DL a copy of the show one has appeared on Dimeadozen.

Downloading it right now. 

Agree.  Leaving out their stupid "let's ignore everything from the last 30 years of Rush" mentality, they are just bad interviewers.  Like you said, their questions had no insight at all, and it's like they were just spitballing dumb questions off the top of their head.  JP's question was great, and I think it would be neat to see more interviews where musicians interview other musicians. 

Yeah that's definitely a great idea for a show. You can have musicians interview their idols and such. 

That was actually really cool. But yeah, I immediately had the impression it's the best interaction of the show.

Indeed.

Rumbo, PM me your info so I can mail you those bootlegs I have for you.

Offline goo-goo

Great Sterlin / Ernie Ball save by JP!