Author Topic: Petrucci and Geddy Lee on season premiere of VH1's "That Metal Show" on Feb. 21  (Read 33736 times)

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
Link: https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/rushs-geddy-lee-dream-theaters-john-petrucci-to-guest-on-season-premiere-of-that-metal-show/

RUSH's GEDDY LEE, DREAM THEATER's JOHN PETRUCCI To Guest On Season Premiere Of 'That Metal Show'

Kicking off what's guaranteed to be the best season of "That Metal Show" yet, RUSH's Geddy Lee has been confirmed for the debut episode of VH1 Classic's centerpiece in original programming. He will be making his second appearance on the acclaimed hard rock/heavy metal talk show, hosted by Eddie Trunk, Don Jamieson and Jim Florentine. Lee returns to the show to promote the highly anticipated RUSH "R40 Live" 40th-anniversary tour that will kick off this summer. The trek will visit 34 cities throughout North America and tickets are currently on-sale for select markets. The episode will premiere on Saturday, February 21 at a new broadcast time of 9:00 p.m. ET/PT, repeating at 11:00 p.m. ET/PT the same evening.

"Back when 'That Metal Show' was first born, Geddy and [RUSH guitarist] Alex [Lifeson] were nice enough to fly to New York and be a guest in our very first season," states Trunk.

"I've always had a great relationship with the RUSH guys and it meant so much to me they were willing to support something I was doing that at that point hardly anyone had seen or heard of. Amazingly, almost seven years have passed, and we're now about to debut our 14th season of 'That Metal Show' and I couldn't be more honored to welcome back Geddy to the set to celebrate 40-plus years of RUSH and the return of 'That Metal Show'!"

Known for having the best musicians in music perform each week on "That Metal Show", the Season 14 premiere will continue the trend with John Petrucci of DREAM THEATER making his first-ever appearance on the debut episode. The seven-string guitar virtuoso has been someone the show has hoped to have on for some time now.

The new season of "That Metal Show" will consist of 12 all-new episodes and will be shot at Metropolis Studios in New York City on Tuesday nights for broadcast that Saturday. Audience tickets for upcoming tapings are now available via Gotham Casting at this location. Upcoming guests will be announced in the near future.

If previous seasons are any indication, season 14 will be the biggest season of "That Metal Show" to date. Last season marked some monumental changes for the show as it returned to New York City. Previously the show was taped over several days in a course of a week at Sony Studios in Los Angeles. But Season 13 was shot at Metropolis Studios on Tuesday nights, for broadcast the following Saturday, which will be the same for this new season.

Fans can watch previous episodes and other exclusive bonus clips at ThatMetalShow.VH1.com and on the new VH1 app.

"That Metal Show" first premiered on VH1 Classic in November 2008 and since has become the only place for all things hard rock and heavy metal on cable television. The show has been visited by some of the biggest names in the genres, including members of BLACK SABBATH

"That Metal Show" is a production of VH1 Classic. Lee Rolontz, Jeff Baumgardner and Keshia Williams serve as executive producers for VH1.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Well,  time to get the hand lotion and tissues.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Anguyen92

Man, I was going to post this, but this forum is on top of things as usual.  This is going to be interesting having JP on this.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
Well,  time to get the hand lotion and tissues.

Indeed!  Good to see prog metal get highlighted on the show.  I'm psyched.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 12:12:47 PM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Anguyen92

I wonder how crazy his beard will look on TV?

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
Two of my favorite artists of all time...I will put up with Trunk's pompous inflated ego to watch this!!!
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
That should be fun.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Wow. I can't wait to see this!!    :metal

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Sweet! Too bad I can't watch it in my country...

Calvin6s

So he's the guest guitarist or he's going to be interviewed?

Anybody else feel like they are watching Wayne's World when That Metal Show is on?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Good question.

Anybody else feel like they are watching Wayne's World when That Metal Show is on?
Yes!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TheCountOfNYC

This is awesome news. Mike Portnoy is one of Eddie Trunk's best friends so John being on the show should be interesting regardless of if he's being interviewed or is the guest guitarist.

EDIT: After reading the press release, it looks like he's gonna be guest guitarist.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 03:02:27 PM by TheCountOfNYC »
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
Hey Count, where in NYC do you reside?

Offline TheCountOfNYC

Staten Island unfortunately.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran

Staten Island unfortunately.

Same here. I thought I was alone.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Good question.

Yes!

The guitarist.  Not the interview.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Madman Shepherd

This is awesome news. Mike Portnoy is one of Eddie Trunk's best friends so John being on the show should be interesting regardless of if he's being interviewed or is the guest guitarist.

EDIT: After reading the press release, it looks like he's gonna be guest guitarist.

Its pretty interesting because Eddie Trunk has been very openly...ummm...cold to Dream Theater.  He even admitted that he isn't really into the band and just featured them because he is friends with Portnoy. 

When ADTOE came out all he would say is, "It sounds like a typical Dream Theater album" or something along those lines. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Eddie Trunk is kind of a tool.

But I'll watch this.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran

But I'll watch this.

That's what  I was thinking. Who the hell cares what Eddie Trunk thinks?  If he's not sticking his tongue up Gene Simmon's ass, he's giving Paul Stanley a handjob.    ;)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Nothing against metal or anything like that, but a TV show where the middle-aged hosts are wearing Iron Maiden and Slayer t-shirts just looks kinda...sad?  I mean, I know it's called That Metal Show, but still. :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
This would be a very cool episode!

Offline Anguyen92

But I'll watch this.

Honestly, this.  The thing is that he is good friends with Chris Jericho and he's probably the only bloody Rock DJ in this bloody US country that legitimately supports Alter Bridge, so I can't really entirely hate the guy, although I may/could disagree with some of his viewpoints.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

I haven't been interested in this show in quite a while. But just for Geddy and JP, I'll probably give it a watch.

That's what  I was thinking. Who the hell cares what Eddie Trunk thinks?  If he's not sticking his tongue up Gene Simmon's ass, he's giving Paul Stanley a handjob.    ;)

:rollin

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I always thought this show was pretty shit.  Can't really stand Eddie and the other two to be honest.

I'll check this episode out though.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

Yeah, Eddie, as others have said, has always struck me as kind of a tool.

I actually don't mind Jim that much, but Don is pretty insufferable, and tries a little too hard to be funny sometimes.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Everytime I've seen the show also, they talk about some pretty below par bands.  They seem to love stuff like Poison, Kix and Ratt, bands like that IIRC.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
Nothing against metal or anything like that, but a TV show where the middle-aged hosts are wearing Iron Maiden and Slayer t-shirts just looks kinda...sad?  I mean, I know it's called That Metal Show, but still. :lol

It's like an unanimated, adult version of Beavis and Butthead and they invited their fat friend Stewart over to pick on him.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

I always loved this show. The hosts can get annoying but Eddie usually has friends on so the interview is always laid back. I like that.

-MirrorMask

Calvin6s

The whole show is kind of sad to watch.  I'd call it a guilty pleasure, but the "pleasure" part is a bit of an exaggeration.

They'd probably do well to change the format.  1 older era metal host and 1 current era metal host.  Each episode have a current and "influence" guest.  One at the start of the show.  Both in the middle of the show.  And the other alone at the end of the show.  If possible, have the current era guest pick the older era guest or vice versa.  Throw a quick jam in and its even better.

Actually, that is probably the worst part of the show:  it should have an actual band performance.  Like SNL, Letterman, Tonight Show, etc.

Offline Anguyen92

That's a great way to really revamp the format and try to bring some exposure to newer acts, but I think this show is structured to the point where it seems too close-minded to make it work.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I enjoy the show. It's a lifeline to the classic metal that I love so much. My biggest gripe with the show is usually how choppy it is edited.

Sometimes I look at Eddie Trunk and think he's kind of pathetic. He's such a suck up. But that's his gig I guess.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
The only thing good about this show is that it is really the only metal music show on TV.  I watch it every once and a while, but never specifically tune in for it.  MP was once the guest drummer which was really cool, I recall Lars was on that episode and looked like he was drooling when MP was playing the 6:00 intro  :lol

The worst part of the show really is Eddie Trunk, the guy just like everyone said, comes off as a really big tool and then add in the metal he really likes isn't all that good IMO so when they do these top 10 lists, his influences on them usually lead them to be crappy IMO, but then again its music so its all about opinions really.

I will have to watch this episode though.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni

I actually don't mind Jim that much, but Don is pretty insufferable, and tries a little too hard to be funny sometimes.

I met Don at the DT show in Mass for the BC&SL's tour and he was so nice and took the time to talk to all of us at a bar he showed up with some friends.  He's cool in my book.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
They should have had MP and JP on at the same time.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

I met Don at the DT show in Mass for the BC&SL's tour and he was so nice and took the time to talk to all of us at a bar he showed up with some friends.  He's cool in my book.
My wife and I were a few blocks from the Palladium and he was walking down the street solo. This would have been after his set.
He was very cool. Stopped to talk with us.