Author Topic: Evermind's Unsophisticated Roulette v. Round 8 Results - We have a winner!  (Read 42921 times)

Offline senecadawg2

Re: Evermind's Unsophisticated Roulette v. Round 2 - Listening mode
« Reply #105 on: February 08, 2015, 06:40:24 AM »
If you can, make sure to listen to my song super loud. In the dark. Maybe then we'll see a 9.5 bumped up to a 10.

Well, since you've basically lied to me, saying that you've never sent this song in roulettes before (I found out you did indeed send it to Ville in his last roulette), I'm afraid I have to cut your points for this song in half. :lol

:lolpalm: that's only fair... I've played in too many roulettes.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #106 on: February 08, 2015, 12:09:38 PM »
Three listens in, the rankings did change a bit, the lowest ranked song is only 4 now, but the one with 9.5 still stays strong.

I don't know about you guys, but for me the most difficult thing in this roulette is to give an even amount of listens to each song. Because right now I just want to spin the hell out of this 9.5 song. But I'll refrain from it until I post the results for this round. ;)
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #107 on: February 08, 2015, 12:52:12 PM »
i asked you not to relisten
you did it anyways

:'(

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #108 on: February 08, 2015, 03:23:03 PM »
The newcomer remark at least makes me hopeful for a decent grade  :P What I sent is a song I really love, both the music and lyrics. But ballads are very personal and can be utterly boring if they do not connect much (to a larger extent than most other types of songs for me because of the often slow and more "simple" nature).

Looking forward to this round's results, considering the banned list I am expecting stuff I do not know and I love ballads.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Evermind's Unsophisticated Roulette v. Round 2 Results - Send for Round 3!
« Reply #109 on: February 09, 2015, 09:23:03 AM »
The newcomer remark at least makes me hopeful for a decent grade  :P What I sent is a song I really love, both the music and lyrics. But ballads are very personal and can be utterly boring if they do not connect much (to a larger extent than most other types of songs for me because of the often slow and more "simple" nature).

Well, any grade above 5 is decent enough, in my opinion. You're free to disagree though. ;) And I totally agree with your statement about the ballads, I've found a few of those a little bit boring and unmemorable. Which ones? Scroll down to find out!

Round 2: Results

wolfking: Lord – New Horizons

Ten seconds in and I already quite like this one; forty seconds in and I’m seriously in love with this one. The soulful singing is complemented perfectly by the acoustic guitar playing in the background. This song is a whole load of concentrated awesomeness until the saccharine electric guitar comes in; that’s where it drops to merely good. I have a feeling it just becomes too sweet and happy to my taste in these moments, while the verses have this longing feeling that really appeals to me. However, despite this punctuated sweetness, the singer manages to impress me, and the guitar solo that comes at around 2:30 is seriously captivating, and the way how they end it with those passionate lines is totally the satisfying and the right one, it makes me want to crank the volume up a fair notch. This song is a bit weird, I mean, it’s the chorus I usually love in the ballads, and here I love everything to bits except the chorus. And since I’ve grown to like it too after a few listens, I can just admire the consistency in your entries so far. Great choice, man.

8.5/10

senecadawg2: Mazzy Star – Fade Into You

I haven’t checked any information on this, but I assume it’s kind of singer-songwriter stuff? Regardless, this is quite nice. Simple acoustic melody with something like a lap-steel guitar in the background, enhanced with a dreamy, haunting voice of hers. The tune instantly reminded me of a song after one of The Walking Dead (videogame by Telltale) episodes in the second season. This track is just so peaceful and wistful, it’s a total pleasure to listen to, and your description is just spot on. The solo in the middle is yet another highlight, strikes me as something Gilmour would do on his solo work. Also, I assume this is some glitch with YouTube version of this tune, sometimes the sound just stops midway for me and continues after a few moments (like at 3:17 on the word “your”). Well, I don’t take in into the consideration, because obviously it’s not how it’s supposed to be. Anyway, subtle keyboard touches, those rare lap-steel guitar sounds beneath the steady acoustic beat and the ethereal female voice on top of this, it all forms a beautiful, enchanting picture. I rated it 7 initially, but with subsequent listens this gem grew even more, and I’m almost in love with this song now.

8.5/10

lonestar: InnerShine – Divided in Two

Alright, this song was mediocre on my first listen, but it appeared to be a huge grower. At first, I wasn’t even sure if it was a ballad, and I thought it was quite underwhelming. However, after a few listens, this song is pretty neat. The calm piano intro, a chunk of clean guitar, a tranquil verse, everything is fascinating until we go into the chorus territory. This is where the song almost loses me, but manages to get me back with the intense part where the title line is repeated. I enjoy all the instrumental parts, and overall this song is good, but chorus kind of kills the excitement for me. This is one of two progressive rock ballads in this round, the second was sent by Mason, and while I’m not incredibly fond of either, your song was superior. Not as good as your previous submission though. But, the ending is total brilliance, that I agree with.

7/10

Dr. DTVT: Xen – Find a Way

And here’s the second progressive rock ballad I’ve received this round. You’ve mentioned this band is basically Enchant, and I totally agree with this. So, naturally, I expected this song to be either hit or miss with me, because that’s just the way I feel about Enchant, I love some of their work, and I can’t get into some other songs. Well, this song is closer to “miss” in my book. It’s not bad, it’s some cool, nice and happy prog rock with a few cool twists, but to be fair, it’s just nothing special. I guess some of my dislike comes from the fact I prefer my ballads to be more sad, instead of this upbeat, energetic kind of tune. But it’s still decent, and I also enjoy the solo in the end quite a lot. I will check out this album too, because out of curiosity I went ahead and checked out Existentialist, and while I gave it only one listen, it probably would’ve got an eight. Turns out I really prefer sad or depressing ballads to the happy ones. But you didn’t send it, pity, so instead you get…

5.5/10

Scorpion: Dog Fashion Disco – Desert Grave

I saw the band’s name and nearly decided to dismiss the song completely, but the first few seconds hooked me alright. While being only 3:22 in length, this song is all kinds of awesome, at least the most of it. The main part reminds me of something Knopfler would record, it’s just so peaceful, playful and lovely. Very good instrumental part starting at 0:50 too. I love the bar-like, relaxed atmosphere of the song. For a short number, it contains a lot of surprisingly good stuff, but I really could’ve done without the weird transition at 2:30 to the more quiet part of the tune. But, whatever, you really went outside of the box with this one, and you didn’t let TAC’s work in the first round go in vain, preparing the ground for kicking more asses in the future rounds. I’ll check those guys out after the roulette.

8/10

bl5150: Ten – Soliloquy/The Loneliest Place In the World

“So, let’s see what Brent sent me here. It’s a ten minutes long song, and a ballad, so it just can’t be as great as he descri—“
Those were my thoughts in a nutshell when I started to listen to this one masterpiece. And when the song got to this spectacular chorus at around 1:50, I was blown away completely. When I was thinking about the “ballads” round, I expected some weird choices, but as I’ve made it fairly well known I enjoy hard rock and power metal, I thought I’ll get a lot of these sappy, a bit epic, predictable ballads with sweeping guitar solos. Instead, I’ve got a lot of (still enjoyable, of course) singer-songwriter stuff, progressive rock, ambient, whatever, but the kind of ballads I really have a soft spot for, those were missing until I gave a spin to this one. I knew I could count on some of you guys to deliver in this round, and man, you did just that. This song is perfection in almost every aspect. The vocalist is awesomely brilliant with mindblowing vocal melodies all around (hell, I was humming this chorus for the last two days already), the acoustic and electric guitars are just unbelievable, and despite the song being 10:29 in length (seriously!), it doesn’t feel long at all. I feel like I can spin it all day and never get tired of it. Do I acknowledge this song is a bit sappy and cheesy and whatever? Yes. Do I care? Not at all. Seriously, this is one of the best songs I’ve heard in the last few years. Another album, and, possibly, the whole band’s discography to check out. You’re going to make me bankrupt if you keep going like that, really, and I’m definitely not going to complain about it.

9.5/10

Sacul: Ulver – EOS

You asked me if I consider Gilmour’s latest solo stuff ballads, and I do, but while this has a bit of resemblance to those, but I think Seneca’s entry is much more Gilmour-like. I like the atmosphere on this one, it’s a seriously relaxing track. I guess it’s more ambient than anything. I’ve heard something like that a few times and I enjoyed it, but my problem with this kind of songs is they’re not quite memorable for me. After five listens in, I doubt I can remember any single standalone moment in the song at all, only the overall picture and the mood. I guess I’m just not accustomed to such music. But, when I’m actually listening to this track, it’s a nice listen. I wish the ending wasn’t so sudden though.

7/10

ErHaO: Damian Wilson – When I Leave This Land

I’ve meant to check out Damian Wilson’s work for a long time, but somehow I never did. The way this song started, well, this was really unexpected, because I subconsciously tend to confuse Damian Wilson with Dan Swano. Yeah, I know. :lol Well, whatever, this indeed feels like some singer-songwriter stuff, and, weirdly, a lot of songs this round are like that. Well, this is enjoyable and soft and nice, but it lacks something to grab me. This is emotional alright, this is definitely a ballad, but it lacks something — something that really can hook me. Enjoyable song, but not something I’m willing to check out impatiently.

5.5/10

Tyrias: Susanne Sundfør – The Brothel

So you had pretty much nothing to lose after your quite low mark in the opening round, and now you came up with this entry. And it seems like you will have something to lose now after this round, because this song is just lovely. Haunting, soulful and touching, it really captures my attention at every listen. I love a good female voice with the fine melodies, and this is exactly how I can describe it. Her voice reminds me of Candice Night in some moments, yet more quirky and unpredictable. I wish the song ended at 5:10 though; even though the ending is beautiful too, it just doesn’t fit the rest of the song, in my opinion. However, otherwise I have no complaints; I’ll be checking this album out after this is over. Oh, and I’m also fond of the lyrics in this one.

9/10

Parama: Sigur Rós – Heysátan

So, first and foremost, this band’s name and their song titles are damn annoying to type. I’ve heard about Sigur Rós, obviously, but I think I haven’t checked them because of non-English lyrics, and probably because the genre is quite outside my comfort zone. I feel like this song hasn’t lived up to my expectations, because for apparent reasons the only thing I can think when I see the title is “Hey, Satan!”, and I expect some heavy distorted guitar slaughter with death metal growls all over it. But instead I get this nice, dreamy song. It’s not a bad thing, but it has the same problem of being unmemorable to me. I even struggle to write anything coherent about it. Not something I want to explore, I think, but nice enough for a few listens.

6/10

mikemangioy: Foo Fighters – Still

There’s that problem with ballads, despite how touching the music and the subject may seem to some people, some other people will find the song boring. I know this is frustrating, and I’ve met this kind of thing when I’ve played in some roulettes before (and I probably will meet this again when I will play in yours), but you kind of knew what you were going for signing up for this one. And some ballads, like this, can be quite personal too, and the enjoyment depends on that. For me, well, this song is plain boring, it has almost nothing going on. I don’t know, maybe it gives a nice breathing space in the album’s context, maybe something else, but as a standalone song, well, it doesn’t have anything of interest to me. But, compared to your previous entry it’s definitely better, because it’s not some nearly unlistenable thrash. I was going back and forth between 4 and 4.5 for this song, and I think I’ll settle on…

4/10

Shadow Ninja 2.0: The Tallest Man on Earth – Like The Wheel

I’ve heard of this singer-songwriter guy, and while I wasn’t meaning to check his work out, now I kind of have to, haha. Well, and this is actually quite lovely song. Its simplicity, tranquility and the vocals melodies with a quiet piano arrangement are all the huge advantages to me. But there’s one thing I really disliked about it: the way this guy actually sings the lines. I’ve found his way of singing, his enunciation or whatever this thing is called really annoying. He’s got a nice voice, the music is good, just fitting for “ballad” round, but the way he sings, well… I almost can’t stand it, and that’s very disheartening. He’s pulling some moments just fine, and on the other I wanted to turn this song off. It grew on me a bit, but it’s still somewhat awkward. It’s a pity, this song could’ve been a nine, but because of that singing style, well, it’s not a nine. But it’s still a good one.

7.5/10

Standings with a cut line, which doesn't matter until we get past Round 6, so don't worry about it now (the second post in this thread is also updated):

bl5150 - 18.5
wolfking - 16.5
senecadawg2 - 16.5
lonestar - 16
Scorpion (with a guest appearance from TAC) - 15.5
Dr. DTVT - 14

Parama - 13
Sacul - 13
Shadow Ninja 2.0 - 12
Tyrias - 12
ErHaO - 11
mikemangioy - 7

Overall, Top 6 stands unchanged. Brent is on fire so far, Kade and Seneca went up a few places, surpassing Mason and RJ. Scorp manages to keep the place TAC secured him in Top 6. However, the people beneath the cut line aren't far behind, Parama and Sacul are only one point behind, SN and Tyrias two points less. All it takes one good song from either of you, and some of the leaders to slip up, and there are still four rounds left until the elimination, so everything is possible so far, I think!

Additions to the banned list:

Lord
Mazzy Star
Xen
Ten
Dog Fashion Disco
Susanne Sundfør
The Tallest Man on Earth
Boston (I forgot to add this one at the beginning)

And on we go to the round 3!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: February 09, 2015, 09:23:23 AM »
Round 3: Open

Once again, an open round. I think you know a bit more about my tastes now, so it should be a bit easier maybe. Send whatever you want! (preferably no thrash :lol)

The song limit for this round is 10 minutes once again.

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #111 on: February 09, 2015, 10:05:15 AM »
Yes! I think I'm gonna continue with my strategy to just send you stuff you probably never would have checked out on your own if it works out like this ;D.  Also, you're in for a surprise if you check out the rest of the album, some of the other songs are quite different.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #112 on: February 09, 2015, 10:05:54 AM »
Yaaay  :rollin
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: February 09, 2015, 10:14:12 AM »
Yes! I think I'm gonna continue with my strategy to just send you stuff you probably never would have checked out on your own if it works out like this ;D.  Also, you're in for a surprise if you check out the rest of the album, some of the other songs are quite different.

Well, to be honest, I would've never checked Biffy Clyro either, so I'm not sure it's such an infallible tactic.

Yaaay  :rollin

:lol

The funny thing is, I've got a feeling from my Top 50 thread you enjoy some prog metal and power metal too, but weirdly enough so far you've sent thrash and a mild rock ballad.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #114 on: February 09, 2015, 10:15:15 AM »
sent

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #115 on: February 09, 2015, 10:18:18 AM »
Good stuff this round. I was thinking of sending both Susanne Sundfor and Ulver at some point, but I guess that's off the table now. Glad you enjoyed the Mazzy Star song!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: February 09, 2015, 10:21:52 AM »
Well, Ulver is technically not banned because they haven't got 7.5 or higher score, but I would appreciate if all of you guys will try not to repeat any bands used in the previous rounds.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #117 on: February 09, 2015, 10:22:18 AM »

The funny thing is, I've got a feeling from my Top 50 thread you enjoy some prog metal and power metal too, but weirdly enough so far you've sent thrash and a mild rock ballad.

I'm trying not to be too predictable   :lol - I'll see what I can send you this round, maybe you'll enjoy it. Just maybe.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #118 on: February 09, 2015, 10:32:46 AM »
Good stuff this round. I was thinking of sending both Susanne Sundfor and Ulver at some point, but I guess that's off the table now. Glad you enjoyed the Mazzy Star song!
Yeah, thanks for introducing me to Susanne Sundfor in my roulette! Lots of awesome music from her.

Well, to be honest, I would've never checked Biffy Clyro either, so I'm not sure it's such an infallible tactic.

Yeah, but I sent that song because I thought you might like it (I still like it of course). I sent that Susanne Sundfor song because its one of the best ballads I heard and she's usually doing a genre you're not really listening to.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #119 on: February 09, 2015, 10:44:28 AM »
Ok, got that ballad shit out of the way without too much damage. Time to bring the pain..

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #120 on: February 09, 2015, 10:55:41 AM »
Just picking out my song to send, now!

Yeah, thanks for introducing me to Susanne Sundfor in my roulette! Lots of awesome music from her.

Indeed, there sure is. She's got a new album coming out in the next couple weeks too :caffeine:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #121 on: February 09, 2015, 11:24:02 AM »
not at home right now but i'll send when i get back

expect:
prog metal with minor djent influences (so basically you won't hate it like you hate most djent :P)

and blnumbers already wins the roulette so I'm free to send whatever the hell from now on, great  :lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: February 09, 2015, 11:38:30 AM »
and blnumbers already wins the roulette so I'm free to send whatever the hell from now on, great  :lol

I wouldn't be so sure about that. And it didn't seem like you weren't sending whatever the hell you wanted for the last two rounds anyway. :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #123 on: February 09, 2015, 12:07:09 PM »

Indeed, there sure is. She's got a new album coming out in the next couple weeks too :caffeine:
Damn, I'll have to check it then.

Thanks Seneca for introducing Tyrias to her so he could introduce her to me (and thanks for getting me into Brand New, T. - I've been spinning that album like crazy during the las Lt weeks and I love it more with each listen).

Expected a lower ranking - will send something you won't like now :neverusethis:. By the way, what's your take on Devin Townsend? And on pop?

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #124 on: February 09, 2015, 01:13:07 PM »

I wouldn't be so sure about that. And it didn't seem like you weren't sending whatever the hell you wanted for the last two rounds anyway. :lol

considering I started with Diablo Swing Orchestra of all things I'm surprised you feel that
but I guess I'm trying to keep variety mostly? this round is one of the safer entries I have lined up to be honest
also I have it as WMA so I might need to convert it to MP3 whoops

things that suck:
the band I most want to enter is impossible to represent in one song, so I'm saving them for the two-song round, but I'm gonna get cut before then and then Evermind won't be exposed to them yay :V
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 01:34:11 PM by Parama »

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: February 09, 2015, 01:42:26 PM »
Good song from Brent.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #126 on: February 09, 2015, 01:55:51 PM »
actually here's a dumb question
can we submit a suite for the "epic round"
'cause umm hmm

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #127 on: February 09, 2015, 01:57:56 PM »
So far I am at least consistent in scores  :P

I will send the next song somewhere this evening/night for that next 5.5  ;D

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #128 on: February 09, 2015, 02:00:00 PM »
Good song from Brent.
Great song from Wolf!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #129 on: February 09, 2015, 02:03:21 PM »

Damn, I'll have to check it then.

Thanks Seneca for introducing Tyrias to her so he could introduce her to me (and thanks for getting me into Brand New, T. - I've been spinning that album like crazy during the las Lt weeks and I love it more with each listen).

Thanks DTF for introducing me to her so I could introduce her to Tyrias so he could introce her to Sacul! And thanks Sacul for reminding me to listen to more Brand New. Always a good idea.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: February 09, 2015, 03:01:18 PM »
Good song from Brent.
Great song from Wolf!

Thanks man.  Yeah, it's sort of a go to ballad for me in survivors.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: February 09, 2015, 03:29:24 PM »
Good song from Brent.

BACKATCHA............certainly the song that I liked best this round , other than my own  :)
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: February 09, 2015, 03:37:57 PM »
Yeah man, one of us has got this wrapped up.......................Come at us bitches  ;D

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #133 on: February 09, 2015, 03:54:36 PM »
the only song from either round I've listened to is the 9.5 one which I thought was good but didn't blow me away on first listen
not much blows me away on first listen tho

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #134 on: February 09, 2015, 03:57:29 PM »
listen to dog fashion disco it'll blow you away unless you suck do you suck parama

Evermind: glad you liked it! And yes, definitely check out the band and album, but be warned that on average, their stuff is a lot more avant-garde and just generally weirder than that song. Still awesome though, but Desert Grave isn't exactly indicative of their sound as a band.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #135 on: February 09, 2015, 04:00:21 PM »
it looks like i suck

but i already knew that

owell

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #136 on: February 09, 2015, 04:01:51 PM »
Sent..........back to some cool  (obscure) power metal.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: February 09, 2015, 04:05:27 PM »
I'll send something tonight.  Gotta go to work.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #138 on: February 09, 2015, 04:32:04 PM »
Sent as well! No obscure solo projects this time but a band with a more well known name (was kind of expecting this in the banned list, regardless of you liking it or not).

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: February 09, 2015, 09:36:54 PM »
Regarding Devin Townsend and pop: I enjoyed Ki, Ghost and Casuaties more or less, otherwise I don't really like his work. Pop is good if you want to earn 1-3 points, but maybe you'll surprise me. I like PT's Trains, for example.

Regarding suites: I would prefer the single songs.

Sent as well! No obscure solo projects this time but a band with a more well known name (was kind of expecting this in the banned list, regardless of you liking it or not).

This is the band I wanted to check out for a long time, but somehow never did.