Author Topic: DT13 Official Post Your Tracklist & Artwork Here V. MetroPLS 111!  (Read 46794 times)

Offline Setlist Scotty

Re: DT13 Official Post Your Tracklist & Artwork Here V. MetroPLS 111!
« Reply #245 on: November 05, 2015, 09:55:28 PM »
I'm sure the guys in the band are gonna get upset with me leaking the cover image, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do!

Incidentally, it was pretty interesting to see all the theories on how The Astonishing was gonna be the sequel to SFaM or 8v. Well, when the band said it was a double concept album, they weren't kidding! Turns out it's a sequel to both albums!
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #246 on: November 05, 2015, 10:14:16 PM »
:rollin :rollin

Offline ProgressiveIce

« Reply #247 on: November 06, 2015, 12:51:39 AM »
:lol :lol :lol

Excellent.  :tup

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #248 on: November 06, 2015, 05:33:37 AM »
 :hefdaddy

Looks totally legit  :lol

Offline Viking of the Sagas

« Reply #249 on: November 07, 2015, 01:11:05 AM »
Someone morph the LaBrie photobomb into those NOMACs.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #250 on: November 07, 2015, 06:59:59 AM »
We heard you like sequels, so we put a sequel in your sequel...

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #251 on: November 07, 2015, 08:36:46 AM »
I'm sure the guys in the band are gonna get upset with me leaking the cover image, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do!

Incidentally, it was pretty interesting to see all the theories on how The Astonishing was gonna be the sequel to SFaM or 8v. Well, when the band said it was a double concept album, they weren't kidding! Turns out it's a sequel to both albums!

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #252 on: November 10, 2015, 06:47:26 PM »
[continued review from I.M. Hipp]

Found out that the lyric booklet contains scratch offs.  Since I have six of them, I could afford to ruin one.  In the process, I discovered a whole new set of lyrics….for the flip side of the disc!  Now that was an ….astonishing discovery!!!!  The setlist scotty cover design was used as its cover.  Good job, sir. Herein lies my review of what is now just the original two demo discs of this amazing, soon to be ytsejam bootleg release.  Hope enough copies are made available. 

1.  Awaken (16:36)  Not to be confused with the Yes track from 'Going For The One' (though JRs use of St. Patrick's Cathedral organ was a nice touch), or DTs second album, this quick, punchy opener with mood sweeping middle is a call to arms for anyone embattled or oppressed in life by an individual or group.  It also further introduces us to our protagonist, a member of the Ravenskill (or RsKill) who goes by the name of 'Meak'.   I begin to feel a theme developing.  JLB lyrics (with a nod to Jon Anderson), are sung beautifully. 'A' is best listened to in the dark at midnight.   
       I:  6:01
      II:  Hanging On By A Thread
     III:  I'm Beside Myself, So Mind Yourself
     IV:  Window
      V:  Truth
     VI:  Dark Shadows Lifted
    VII:  Circled
   VIII:  Tie Dye Jacket
9.7/10 ,  HOBAT, W, T, and E are great segments,  IBMSMY, DSL, and TDJ are arguably superior. The 'awakened, gently must touch myself' often repeated chorus made me want to [expletive deleted verb]!!!!!   It's THAT good!

2.  Evermore (13:33)  A ballad intertwined with creepy ANTR synths and Poe Raven-styled lyrics, touching on Meak's increased standing in the underground Ravenskill (or RsKills, or 'rascals' if you prefer).  As speaker, it is here where Meak delivers the historic 'take me as I am' coded speech (telling the RsKills where and when to meet, and a direct order regarding two specific requirements needed).   Midway through this track, Mike Portnoy makes his first appearance on this disc, for some growling spoken words in German (translations relate to Genesis (band and book), Queen, Queen Elizabeth, and the weather).    A Mangini drum solo eventually enters, drowning out MP.  Sounds of a skirmish soon follow. Charlie Dominici's spoken German (and Italian?) LVs are now audible, the drums fade in and out as Kevin Moore joins in for a one minute keyboard solo. Derek Sherinian steps in for an even shorter solo appearance.  Speaking of solos, there's a bit of wankery from JP and JR for the final five minutes before the ending fade out.  E is good to great in spots, but seems to go on forevermore
           a.  Evermore  b.  Achdelieberium (Full Circle).  c.  Daydreamers, Unite!   d. Truly Full Circle   e.  Seasons Change 
           6. Six Degrees (rub my axe and balls, it's frickin cold!)    f. Forevermore
8.2/10 until the 8 minute mark of E, 2/10 until the 9.876/10  final

3.  Screw You (Not Me) (5:26) - Now one of the two leaders of  Ravenskill, the more popular Meak speaks to the masses again,  a direct call to arms against the Empire.  An Easter Egg is available.  Play this track backwards, and one is able to hear the original demo,  titled 'Screw You (or Me?)' .  It has a much better chorus than the second, though the final, nonbackwards track has better production.  Debate will be endless on its merits.  It may be too similar to 'Never Enough' in its lyrical content ('everything is never enough, so screw you, not me').  I am hoping that the speech is directed at a boss, his enemies, the Empire, and not at us the listeners.  Anyway, that's how I'm going to view it.    The music is upbeat and oddly a-muse-ing.  6.8/10 for the SY(NM)forward version, 7.6/10 SY(oM) backwards.

not the battle of evermore
4.  The Empire (2:45) / Over nothing but a haunting bass line, these spoken commands and orders through a megaphone are very disturbing.  John Myung lead vocals on TE.
5.  Strike Back (3:36) / Similar to live performances using the theme of 'Close Encounters' with 'Trial of Tears', this epic begins and ends with a wonderful JP solo, similar to the 'Star Wars' music theme, along with subtle MM percussion.  MP 'strikes back' with a tasty one minute stickfest.  The rallying cry for the Rascals (or RsKills, if you prefer).  Beautiful segue into. …..
6.  Path of Sorrows (11:04)  /  Spacey, meandering, rocking joyride of a track.  Meak, now with the full backing of the masses, leads the uprising against the Empire.   They arrive at a large metropolis, and it is raining.  I mean, it is pouring down!  The battle begins.  People soon are disappearing, the music is fading away, and the rain is constantly beating on the streets of this metropolis battle zone.  Systematic breakdowns create chaotic situations for the Rskill.   Injured, Meak is told by a faceless man to take something for the pain.  After a great bass/drum/keyboard interlude (way to keep the mood on this one JR), Meek awakens. He feels wonderfully miserable, or miserably wonderful (but certainly not beautiful).  Agonizing over his next move, he stands ever alert, and moves along, realizing that he and his small group are surrounded by a vast wasteland.  As far as he can see,  the ground is almost completely covered with ashes......  nothing but ashes.   And, damnit....... it's still frickin' raining!  How he wishes he were Home, or at least had worn waterproof raingear. 

7.  The Empire/Strike Back (repriseS) (2:05) Slightly faster instrumental versions of tracks 4 and 5.  Or are they tracks 12 and 13?    (Crap, here we go again)  A terrific crashing reprise of PoS included as well.  Love the chimes!   The title is oddly familiar.  I give TE/SB/PoS/TESB(r) a 9.2/10  (Or is it ntboe'?)  for this sweet suite, especially PoS.  Trust me, PoS is not a piece of .....

8.  The Squire of Gothos (7:26)  ......moving on....., Meak and the small band of survivors have escaped the wasteland.   As this little group of rascals make their 5 year trip back Home for reinforcements, they have an encounter with a spoiled rotten,  childish adult alien named Trilane (friends call him 'Billy' or 'Billie').  Billy, with growling vocals by MP, is emotions in motion.  He discusses the 'stroke, and introduces them to his silent brother, Chris, who is also a Squire (sung by either Mangini or Myung).   It is inspired by a real life JP experience, where he is frightened that the wine served at dinner might not have any taste (which turned out to be true).  Quoting JP:  "This was written in my hotel room after I'd encountered the Trilane family.  I wanted to write it immediately, while the scenes in my memory were still fresh [wink].  Can't say that about the wine [chuckles].  A 'Star Trek' rerun was on the tube at the time.  The similarities are rather, uhm, er,  ahhhhhhh-mazing, aren't they?"  [grin]   Some booklets have the title incorrectly printed as 'The Squires of Gothos', The Squire(s?) of Gothos', 'The Squier of Gothos', and 'The Squiers of Gothos.'  However you look at it,  'Squire' (Squier(?), (or TSoG or TS(?)oG if you prefer) has two of the most lovely and haunting guitar leads ever, but the lyrics drag it down.  Brother, if only they were different.  ?/10

9.  1221 (21:12)  Other reviewers commented on its similarities to another concept album played backwards, but I didn't hear it.  I will say that its various musical tempos, styles, and themes are memorable and, dare I say it, 'EPIC!'  Nice orchestral arrangement included.
SPOILER ALERT:
It starts off with the Empire stating that 'we have assumed control AGAIN' (Myung and Rudess LVs), as Meak and the Rascals  leave Gothos.  The music and story goes through various ebbs and flows, with all five band members sharing LVs (depending on their roles).   Jordan's 'Bebot Bop', using an old rotary dial phone, is slightly out of place, and can be skipped or enjoyed.  Our story ends 
[I SAID 'SPOILER ALERT!']  on an uplifting note.   Meak and the Rascals arrive Home, finally free, after a ten year absence.  Due to a dramatic turn, events were scheduled to celebrate the recent Empire's fall  the same day.  On a hillside on the outskirts of Home, an older Meak and the no longer young Rskills are treated to a heroes' welcome, with a 'W' in the win column for being ahead after five battles.  Meak wearily looks at the sky, finds his way across a bridge for some healing water (and scotch).    His train of thought is broken by an excited female voice.  His images of her are that of a young child, and words are difficult for him to describe the beauty of this young woman.   In her hands is an object she discovered and kept hidden while he was away.  He has indeed come Full Circle, already a hero, and owning this object will provide the dramatic turn to regaining his spot as THE elite Raven (sorry, Joe of Flacco).    As in 'The Foundation', the  farthest distance to travel is a circular route back to your starting point.   "To think that it was here along!!!   We could have ended all of this ten years (or 2 CDs) ago if we had only solved the riddle sooner," he whispers to himself (while a clock ticks in the background, and some hypnotic spoken phrasing enters).   The young woman Victory kisses Meak gently on the cheek.  After he plays a few notes on this wonderfully strange new object, she kisses him harder.  He, in turn, seizes Victory, and, .....well.                              The final two verses  close out this epic, as well as this review, once and for all (I promise), with could be classic lyrics, with all current and ex-DT members singing the first line:               

"And MEAK shall inherit the earth."

After a brief, stunning instrumental, JLB follows at his balladeer best:
"Victory is real, 
I finally feel,                                                                                                                         
at peace with the world (girl?) of my dreams...."

[this reviewer heard audible groans at this part]

....before ending with a rousing, rocking instrumental that could well have been the overture.  It's a strange deja vu, all over again. This segment is so classic, that it would make a great concert or encore opener.                                                                                         a: Overture Something (or Nothing)  b. Tears  c. Lessons  d. The Astonishing Dream e. Theater of The Absurd  f.  Twilight Zone
g. Discovery  h. The Temple  i. Victory  j. GrandOvertureUndertureEpilogueFinale     10.9/10

[hope too many secrets weren't disclosed.  No further reviews until after the official version is released.]
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 07:50:18 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #253 on: November 10, 2015, 06:53:50 PM »
Wtf did I just read lol :rollin :rollin
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #254 on: December 14, 2015, 11:28:47 PM »
To match the 34 'Astonishing' tracks, here is the companion 'Uncovered Yet Again' disc to be included in the North Korean release (somehow on shelves next week).  Also includes what should become an instant  holiday classic.

Dream Is Collapsing - Hans Zimmer (Myung lead vocals)
Lifting Shadows Off A Dream - duh
Dream Weaver - Gary Wright
Dream On - Aerosmith (Petrucci lead vocals)
Dreamer's Ball - Queen
Beautiful Dreams - Roger Taylor
Dream Of Thee - Brian May
These Dreams - Heart
#9 Dream - John Lennon
Sweet Dreams - Eurythmics
Daydream Believer - The Monkees
Beautiful Dreamer - Roy Orbison
All I Have To Do Is Dream - The Everly Brothers
California Dreamin' - Mamas and the Papas
Daydream - Lovin' Spoonful
Dream A Little Dream Of Me - Mama Cass
Dream Police - Cheap Trick
Dreamer - Supertramp
(I'm Dreaming Of A) White Christmas - Bing Crosby
Dreams - Fleetwood Mac
I Dreamed A Dream –  Susan Boyle (Rudess lead vocals)
Sweet Dream -  Jethro Tull
Dream Is Still Alive - Wilson Phillips
Dreaming - Cliff Richards
Follow That Dream - Elvis Presley (Portnoy lead vocals)
I Have A Dream - Abba
In My Dreams - REO
You Dreamer You - Johnny Cash
Wet Dream - Max Romeo (MP again, with added 'lick my a** and balls' lyrics at end)
Wildest Dreams - Taylor Swift
You Make My Dreams Come True - Hall and Oates
Get Outta My Dreams, Get Into My Car - Billy Ocean
Fanfare / Don't Dream It, Be It - Rocky Horror
Little Dreamer / Dreams / Dream Is Over (medley) - Van Halen
(appearances by Moore, Sherinian, and Portnoy on 'Dream Is Over')
Fanfare / Don't Dream It, Be It - Rocky Horror
Her Majesty - The Beatles (Dominici LVs)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 07:57:55 AM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #255 on: December 15, 2015, 04:34:23 AM »
I'd include a cover of Don't Dream It's Over by Crowded House somewhere in there as well.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #256 on: December 23, 2015, 11:28:06 AM »
Hall of Great Predictions (79:17)

01 - Veins (12:22)
02 - Anywhere But Here (6:02)
03 - Panorama Image (5:43)
04 - Defiant (7:30)
05 - Mirage (6:41)
06 - Roadblock (8:29)
07 - Unmaking (16:15)
08 - The Rake (5:45)
09 - Limerance (10:30)

Just re-posting this to bring up how wrong I was. Even with 34 track names, and excluding "the", I didn't get a single word right.

Offline Vandalism

• DTF.org Alumni
  • A Voluntary Lapse of Reason
« Reply #257 on: December 24, 2015, 03:02:40 AM »

Just re-posting this to bring up how wrong I was. Even with 34 track names, and excluding "the", I didn't get a single word right.

You did get "of"!  :tup
\\m// Death is the first Dancing Turtle \\m//

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #258 on: December 24, 2015, 03:09:17 AM »

Well, you got letters and words too. And the track names are all made of that. You're not really that far. ;D

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #259 on: December 24, 2015, 06:37:14 AM »
6. Found Again

Literally the only thing I got even close to being right on. A two word title with the second word being again.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #260 on: December 24, 2015, 11:07:21 AM »
Here's my tracklist speculation:

ACT I

1. Descent of the NOMACS
    2. Dystopian Overture
    3. The Gift of Music
    4. The Answer
    5. A Better Life
    6. Lord Nafaryus
    7. A Savior in the Square
    8. When Your Time Has Come
    9. Act of Faythe
    10. Three Days

11. The Hovering Sojourn
    12. Brother, Can You Hear Me?
    13. A Life Left Behind
    14. Ravenskill
    15. Chosen
    16. A Tempting Offer
    17. Digital Discord
    18. The X Aspect
    19. A New Beginning
    20. The Road to Revolution

ACT II

1. 2285 Entr'acte
    2. Moment of Betrayal
    3. Heaven's Cove
    4. Begin Again
    5. The Path That Divides
    6. Machine Chatter
    7. The Walking Shadow
    8. My Last Farewell
    9. Losing Faythe
    10. Whispers on the Wind

11. Hymn of a Thousand Voices
    12. Our New World
    13. Power Down
    14. Astonishing

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #261 on: December 24, 2015, 11:35:47 AM »
 :hefdaddy

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #262 on: December 24, 2015, 11:47:53 AM »
 :tup

Overture, Ravenskill, Shadows, Path and two numbers of "2285 Entr'acte".  Then again, I threw so much up against the wall, the something was bound to stick.

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #263 on: December 24, 2015, 09:12:15 PM »
Dream Theater - The Astounding (2016)

ACT I

1. Descent of the NOMACS
    2. Dystopian Overture
    3. The Gift of Music
    4. The Answer
    5. A Better Life
    6. Lord Nafaryus
    9. Act of Faythe
    10. Three Days

11. The Hovering Sojourn
    12. Brother, Can You Hear Me?
    13. A Life Left Behind
    14. Ravenskill
    15. Chosen
    16. A Tempting Offer
    17. Digital Discord
    18. The X Factor
    19. A New Beginning
    20. The Road to Revolution

ACT II

1. 2285 Entr'acte
    2. Moment of Betrayal
    3. Heaven's Cove
    4. Start Again
    5. The Path That Divides
    6. Machine Chatter
    7. The Walking Shadow
    8. My Last Farewell
    9. Losing Faythe
    10. Whispers on the Wind

11. Hymn of a Thousand Voices
    12. Brave New World
    13. Power Back Up
    14. Astounding

Any hippies notice something different?
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #264 on: December 24, 2015, 10:15:35 PM »
Yes, you Maiden'd a couple of the tracks.

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
« Reply #265 on: December 24, 2015, 10:19:29 PM »

Wasn't the intention but that's part of it
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #266 on: December 24, 2015, 10:32:00 PM »

Oh, right. You changed the title...

Offline Pragmaticcircus

« Reply #267 on: December 24, 2015, 11:16:28 PM »

Oh, right. You changed the title...

Genius...  :corn
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #268 on: December 24, 2015, 11:29:56 PM »
Astonishing, isn't it?

Offline Pragmaticcircus

« Reply #269 on: December 24, 2015, 11:37:19 PM »
Dream Theater - The Christmasing (out December 25th)

ACT I

1. Descent of the REINDEERS
    2. North Pole Overture
    3. The Gift of Presents
    4. The Answer
    5. A Better Life
    6. Santa Claus
    9. Act of Faythe
    10. Three Days (till Christmas)

11. The Hovering Sleigh
    12. Santa, Can You Hear Me?
    13. A Life Left Behind
    14. North Pole
    15. Chosen
    16. A Tempting Offer
    17. Digital Discord
    18. The X Aspect
    19. A New Beginning
    20. The Road to Refunds

ACT II

1. 25/12 Entr'acte
    2. Moment of Betrayal
    3. Thanksgiving Cove
    4. Begin Again
    5. The Path That Subsides
    6. Elf Chatter
    7. The Walking Shadow
    8. My Last Farewell
    9. Losing Santa
    10. Whispers on the Wind

11. Hymn of a Thousand Elves
    12. Joy To The World
    13. Power Up
    14. Christmasing
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 02:37:17 AM by Pragmaticcircus »
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid

Offline Pragmaticcircus

« Reply #270 on: December 24, 2015, 11:38:45 PM »
Astonishing, isn't it?

Astonishing, Astounding, Amazing, same thing  :mehlin
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #271 on: December 26, 2015, 09:56:51 AM »
I got pretty close to a couple of things when the concept came out:

0 A.C.
Brother
The Astonishing
2286 A.D.

Because Mike is better than Mike