Author Topic: JORDAN RUDESS' OrKeystra Performs DREAM THEATER "Enigma Machine" NAMM 2015  (Read 2152 times)

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fpDys79VP0

Not bad ! Maybe he is trying to say to JP watch out I can drive this band without you  :biggrin: :lol

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
"Um, Yeah.....if the drummer could play with a little more feel than trying to murder the drums that'd be great"

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
 :tup
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Sycsa

Loved it, great keyboard sounds and cool performance. As far as the drums go, I really dug his energy, I don't think there's much room for nuanced playing in a driving song like this. The drum solo was disappointing though, I saw many YouTube covers do it more justice on smaller kits.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Great performance, and I had no problem at all with the drumming, but it just highlighted how unremarkable I find that song to be.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Bummer you could only hear one keyboard really.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Sycsa

Why do they isolate the drummer in a transparent cage like that? So that they control the mix more and the acoustic sound doesn't bleed in everywhere, or is there something else?

Online Anguyen92

Pretty much, they do it to make sure the drum sound doesn't bleed everywhere.  If you see how close everyone is, it all makes sense.

I've seen videos of Alter Bridge use something similar to that cage during their ABIII tour when they were playing the smaller venues in the states and the outdoor festivals.  I don't think they used it for the bigger music halls/arenas in Europe or at all during their latest tour after making certain adjustments.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Yeah I wouldn't wanna sit that close to a drum set without the cage, my hearing would be shot right away.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Does the cage make it worse for the drummer by reflecting back the drum noise, or does it just deaden it?
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
Neat arrangement :) I was kind of impressed at how well they mimic'd the guitars with those keyboards. Good job to everyone.
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline Mastervai

"The enigma machine" ha ha  :D ;)

Calvin6s

Wow.  It sounds even more like an Inspector Gadget theme without a real guitar and Mangini's groove.  That synth patch for the first few seconds of the song is so promising.  It had the potential to be the best song on the album.  Cool setup for NAMM.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
 :rollin: you wouldn't need the shields for bleed since everything else besides the kit is a direct signal.

Maybe it's for the players comfort.

Offline Sycsa

:rollin: you wouldn't need the shields for bleed since everything else besides the kit is a direct signal.
You missed your mark with that comment, nobody said anything that. Only that the acoustic sound coming off the stage would bleed into the amplified drum sound and overall mix, thus the need for a cage. Of course it's a direct signal, there are 3 keyboards on stage and no guitars.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
This is at NAMM, right? I'm pretty sure they have requirements on how much they're allowed to blast past their own booth.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
That keyboardist looks familiar
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
It's Jordan Rudess. :neverusethis:

Offline Sycsa

And the other one is Eren Basbug, the conductor on BTFW, among many other DT related endeavours.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
That was pretty damn awesome.  Enigma Machine wasn't one of my favorite songs at first but it definitely grew on me.

Offline Mastervai

Does anyone notice the fact that he calls it "the enigma" machine and not "enigma machine". i remember that being a discussion on this board sone time ago.