Author Topic: Jay Beckenstein selling his I&W Gold Record  (Read 5352 times)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Re: Jay Beckenstein selling his I&W Gold Record
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 09:38:58 PM »
Shit. If only I had an extra $600 laying around.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 12:18:40 AM »
...Watching.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 03:39:35 AM »
From Spyro Gyra?

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 03:40:23 AM »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2015, 07:03:21 AM »
Holy crap.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2015, 08:01:50 AM »
That's beautiful, and expensive. So worth it though.
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2015, 08:10:11 AM »
Wow, super nice collectible!
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2015, 01:41:38 PM »
While this is super cool, I just think I would feel weird owning something specifically that has been presented to someone else with their name on it.  But that is just me.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2015, 01:53:48 PM »
Tangent:  I friend of mine who used to work for Pasha in the '80s told me a funny story about "gold"/"plantinum" albums.  Not that it matters, but here's the scoop.  The label keeps a bin of all kinds of defective records.  When they need to make a "gold record" (or platinum, or whatever), they grab one from the bin, spray it gold (or whatever), and slap a label on it for whatever album they want it to be.  So, for example, a Metallica "gold album" for, say, And Justice For All might actually be a defective Michael Jackson record painted gold with an "And Justice For All" label slapped on it. 

I always think of that when I see these hanging on walls.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2015, 02:46:56 PM »
Tangent:  I friend of mine who used to work for Pasha in the '80s told me a funny story about "gold"/"plantinum" albums.  Not that it matters, but here's the scoop.  The label keeps a bin of all kinds of defective records.  When they need to make a "gold record" (or platinum, or whatever), they grab one from the bin, spray it gold (or whatever), and slap a label on it for whatever album they want it to be.  So, for example, a Metallica "gold album" for, say, And Justice For All might actually be a defective Michael Jackson record painted gold with an "And Justice For All" label slapped on it. 

I may not be remembering this correctly but Axl Rose told a story about one of his gold records turned out to be 2 Live Crew.   He had so many he decided to tear it apart and play it. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2015, 02:49:10 PM »
That's interesting Bosk,
So we may actually bidding on a Spiro Gyra record? :D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2015, 04:52:29 PM »
Now that should be... A dramatic turn of events..
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2015, 08:29:21 PM »

That's a cool little bit of trivia. Given how cheap CDs are now, I doubt they've needed to do that for a decade or two though. Maybe they still do. It's still funny to imagine what albums are hanging on people's walls. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2015, 09:04:46 PM »
If this was in fact a defective Michael Jackson record just spray painted gold with Images & Words slapped on it, I would buy it in a heartbeat. Too bad it's painted and not just the material color of the record. I'd crack it open to verify it.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2015, 09:16:41 PM »
If this was in fact a defective Michael Jackson record just spray painted gold with Images & Words slapped on it, I would buy it in a heartbeat. Too bad it's painted and not just the material color of the record. I'd crack it open to verify it.

Maybe they just used the misprinted Back in Black versions. They wouldn't even need to relabel them! :P

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2015, 03:47:24 AM »
I'm watching. I've been trying to find (and have bought) items to hang on the wall in my man cave and this would be amazing since its my favorite all time record. $600 is more than I'd want to spend on any item but this is one of a kind. Really cool.

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2015, 05:47:54 AM »
I'll give him £130. That's all I have to spend at the moment, sadly

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2015, 08:18:19 AM »
Regarding the "is it the right record" question, well, the vinyl *does* have 4 tracks judging from the photo, which would correspond to the 4 tracks of IAW on that side. But, the third track seems to be the smallest, where it should be TTT, which is more than 8 minutes long.

Anybody know the back side tracks of the vinyl IAW? Maybe they slapped it the wrong side around.

EDIT: It actually has "GEMA/BIEM" on the sticker. wtf, GEMA is the German branch of the BIEM. Very confusing.
EDIT2: Oh, maybe this is for achieving gold in Germany?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 08:26:29 AM by rumborak »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2015, 11:56:36 AM »
Regarding the "is it the right record" question, well, the vinyl *does* have 4 tracks judging from the photo, which would correspond to the 4 tracks of IAW on that side. But, the third track seems to be the smallest, where it should be TTT, which is more than 8 minutes long.

Anybody know the back side tracks of the vinyl IAW? Maybe they slapped it the wrong side around.

EDIT: It actually has "GEMA/BIEM" on the sticker. wtf, GEMA is the German branch of the BIEM. Very confusing.
EDIT2: Oh, maybe this is for achieving gold in Germany?

The fourth track looks to be about the same length as the third. Learning to Live is the last and longest track on the album. Also, since Wait for Sleep and Learing to Live to right into each other, wouldn't there be no line separating them on a vinyl record? Either way, I don't think this is side two of Images and Words.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2015, 03:00:15 PM »
So anyone else realize the people on this forum are analyzing a gold record that is being sold by the guy, from Spryo Gyra (right?) played Sax on to see what the actual record is?

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2015, 05:25:23 PM »
From Spyro Gyra?

Well, yes.  Jay played sax on "Another Day", and the album Images and Words was recorded at BearTracks, which is Jay's studio.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2015, 07:19:10 PM »
From Spyro Gyra?

Well, yes.  Jay played sax on "Another Day", and the album Images and Words was recorded at BearTracks, which is Jay's studio.
That's the joke, Orbert.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2015, 09:26:45 PM »
Is it common knowledge?  I still remember when we'd get people on here asking what the connection was, since it's been a while, I thought maybe not everyone knew.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2015, 10:10:42 PM »
Ok, raise your hand if you're the one who put in a bid.

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2015, 10:50:53 PM »
I only bid at the last second. There's no point other than creating competition for people that want it, too. It needlessly raises the price.

Offline ProgressiveIce

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2015, 05:21:47 AM »
Interesting. I'd love to have it, but I certainly can't afford it. Curious to see the final bid though.

Btw, I did some more analysis using the matrix -- I'd guess that if what bosk said is true they wouldn't bother faking the matrix. Unfortunately, due to reflections and image quality, that isn't too easy. So far, I've got "[...]8-BS-[...]2[...]".
Discogs doesn't contain such an entry (well, https://www.discogs.com/Debbie-Harry-KooKoo/release/1582849 comes close but is still wrong), so no luck there... (Discogs doesn't contain the matrices of the I&W releases either though.)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2015, 08:23:51 AM »
I only bid at the last second. There's no point other than creating competition for people that want it, too. It needlessly raises the price.

The reason I don't bid on eBay. The whole process is flawed and abused, where the price isn't determined by who is willing to pay the most money for an item, but instead who can click on the bid button in the last second.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2015, 08:29:30 AM »

The reason I don't bid on eBay. The whole process is flawed and abused, where the price isn't determined by who is willing to pay the most money for an item, but instead who can click on the bid button in the last second.

Really, if you're willing to pay the highest price for an item, you'll win it regardless. You set your maximum price, and then it auto-bids up to what it needs to. What you'll gain from last second bidding is hopefully a lower price with less of a bidding war, due to everyone waiting till last second to put in any serious offers. But it's still going to be determined by who's willing to pay the most money for an item. It's not a perfect system, but it's a huge improvement over the traditional auctioning method.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2015, 08:32:18 AM »
That's what I mean though. The seller gets scammed out of the true price that people would be willing to pay for the item.

In my opinion, they should have "soft-timeout auctions", where a new bid extends the auction by say 5 minutes.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2015, 08:38:20 AM »
I don't entirely agree. A buyer pays the price they have to pay to beat any other bids. That's the price someone is willing to pay for the item. Yes, it's the minimum they have to pay to beat any other bidder, but they're still the person that would otherwise have been the highest bidder assuming they gave their maximum bid, and it doesn't rely on potential buyers being present in the final minutes to win an item, so I think that more than balances out. If you want an item, you should make a proper bid.

That said, I don't mind your idea in theory. It means any serious bid has to withstand some room for response.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2015, 08:44:29 AM »
From Spyro Gyra?

That's the joke, Orbert.
The joke comes from here (starts @ 5:11): https://youtu.be/woxbCUpws44?t=5m11s

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2015, 09:09:07 AM »
Is that Dream Theater?

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2015, 01:50:54 PM »
From Spyro Gyra?

That's the joke, Orbert.
The joke comes from here (starts @ 5:11): https://youtu.be/woxbCUpws44?t=5m11s
Yep.  That's the joke.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2015, 02:10:46 PM »
From Spyro Gyra?

I play sax and own a studio?

Shit. Wish I woulda known

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"