Author Topic: Anyone else think LITS, HK and TOT are among the weakest on FII?  (Read 4928 times)

Offline npiazza91

First of all, let me just say that I love DT's epics.  The longer the song, usually the better for me.  However...on an album like FII, where they obviously went with the simpler, more radio friendly approach, the epics just don't fit.  I for one, LOVE Hollow Years, Peruvian Skies, Take Away My Pain and Anna Lee the most on that album.  New Millenium is great too, and BMS is pretty good.  You Not Me is decent I guess, but the 3 I mentioned, plus Just Let Me Breathe...I just can't get into.  For this album, the radio songs just...work.

I know I'm in the minority here, but nothing about ToT and LitS do anything for me.  It's almost as if the tone of the album contradicts having an epic song.  It's like if a radio friendly band decided to make a 13 minute song, it just wouldn't work.  Hell's Kitchen is ok, but again, I put a radio friendly album in, I want to hear radio songs.  FII is my go to radio album and I very rarely listen to the other ones.

Anyone else feel this way?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Anyone else think LITS, HK and TOT are among the weakest on FII?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 04:32:33 PM »

No.  Except for Hell's Kitchen, which does nothing for me (although it does work as a neat little intro to LITS).  But the other two are fantastic and among DT's best work.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 04:35:51 PM »
Anyone else think LITS, HK and TOT are among the weakest on FII?

No I think you got it reversed there if anything.  ;)

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 04:43:25 PM »
Hell's Kitchen yes considering it's one of my least favorite Dream Theater songs. Lines in the Sand and Trial of Tears no with ToT being one of my favorites.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 05:04:55 PM »
Over time I've grown to like the tracks you mention , but back in the day (on release) the only vocal tracks I could stomach at all were Hollow Years and Peruvian Skies.

My reaction to FII as a whole at the time of release was something along the lines of.....

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 05:13:25 PM »
I've never been able to stomach Hollow Years.  :lol  FII is just a funny album for me, in that it contains some of my absolute favorites and some of my absolute least favorites.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline fischermasamune

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 06:21:45 PM »
Glad to know I'm not the only one to dislike Hollow Years. I prefer You Not Me over it.

And in topic: TOT, LITS and HK are 3 of the best 4 FII songs (the other is New Millenium).

Offline ori.elias5

• Its only in your mind
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 06:38:28 PM »
HK is just a great atmospheric song, LITS includes one of JP best guitar solos and ToT is a special, wanna say rare finisher. i can die hearing the guitar-keyboards solo part.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 07:11:08 PM »
@ the OP: Sorry man - gotta go with the majority. Those 3 tracks are the standouts on the album.

Regarding Hollow Years, I never was a huge fan of the song until they amped it up with the 2004 version. That version IMO is so much better than the original. And taking it even a further step was the 2009 version which had the original pre-chorus(?), but most significantly an extended intro which was awesome.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 07:29:27 PM »

Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Calvin6s

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2015, 07:31:44 PM »
What?  They aren't just the best of the album, they are some of the best of their entire discography.  Without those 3 songs, FII would have been wasted money.

Hollow Years is one of my least favorites.  Take Away My Pain is even worse.  The remaining songs are average at best.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2015, 07:32:29 PM »
Lines In The Sand > > Breaking All Illusions.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2015, 07:37:51 PM »
Is it opposite day? Or April 1st? Nope? Then I don't understand this thread.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2015, 08:21:36 PM »
Regarding Hollow Years, I never was a huge fan of the song until they amped it up with the 2004 version. That version IMO is so much better than the original. And taking it even a further step was the 2009 version which had the original pre-chorus(?), but most significantly an extended intro which was awesome.

I never cared for either version.  I mean, yeah, JP's solo in the 2004 version is nice.  But that still isn't enough for me. 

My favorites on the album are easily LITS, ToT, and Take Away My Pain.  Those are the standouts and are some of the best in the entire DT discography.  Then you have songs like NM, Just Let Me Breathe, Anna Lee, and Peruvian Skies that are solid.  Then the rest, which I don't really care for at all.  Burning My Soul is the one song on the album that I can't decide what to do with.  Overall, I don't really like it.  It is one of the few DT songs where the lyrics rub me the wrong way.  And it has some other quirks that I do not like either.  But then it has some really cool parts too.  And I bet it would be a great live song. 

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2015, 08:56:33 PM »
The three tracks in question are without a doubt the clear stand-outs on FII, and even in their discography.

I'll fight the herd in favor of Hollow Years though. I've always loved it, though it's not something I really expected from DT when I first heard it. Another highlight in FII for me.

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2015, 09:00:21 PM »
Lines In The Sand > > Breaking All Illusions.

I just exploded.  BAI is Top 10 DT easily.  LitS, in my opinion, has very little going for it.  It's too awkward of a song.  The chorus is weird and doesn't flow at all (even by prog standards).  The whole structure of the song feels off.

I actually like ToT a lot more, though it still wouldn't make my Top 50.  ToT is decent...LitS gives me a bad taste in my mouth.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2015, 09:02:52 PM »
Yeah, those are 3 of their best.

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2015, 10:09:14 PM »
LITS has some cool moments, but I rarely find myself wanting to listen to it among the rest of the discography. A bit disjointed--I tend to zone out for parts. I enjoyed the CiM version, though, because it was the only song there where James really seemed in form. Cool song, but toward the bottom of the 10+ minute songs in DT's discog for me.

ToT used to be in a similar vein, but the BTFW version got me into it more. Love the ending. Probably would be in the 30 range if I did a Top 50.

HK...sounds fine when it's playing, but really should've been left in BMS. The BMS demo would likely be top 25 for me if it was recorded with FII production values.* As it stands, HK is probably the least compelling instrumental DT's done, and I'm not in love with SoC or Erotomania either (though, like HK, they have their moments).

YNM and the studio HY are obviously below all three, but LITS and HK get less play from me than a lot of the rest. My favorite FII songs are PS, AL, and ToT, in no particular order.

*probably fits better in the Controversial Opinions thread
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2015, 10:10:41 PM »
Yeah, Controversial Opinions would have been a much better thread for this
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2015, 10:26:34 PM »
Just because an opinion is bizarre does not mean it is "controversial."

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2015, 11:55:23 PM »
Just because an opinion is bizarre does not mean it is "controversial."

Not at all. It just had occurred to me when I was writing my comment about the BMS demo that, independent of this thread, that opinion would fit well over there.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2015, 12:09:08 AM »
None of those three mentioned are among my favourite DT songs, but I wouldn't call them weak either. Somewhere in the middle, I guess. TOT is the better of those three.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2015, 01:25:51 AM »
Hell's Kitchen is my favourite song on the album, possibly even my favourite DT instrumental.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2015, 02:22:43 AM »
No.

Just... no.

I mean, LITS I don't find all that exciting, and do prefer songs like Hollow Years and Anna Lee. But Hell's Kitchen and Trial of Tears are probably my favourites on the album.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online Mladen

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2015, 02:48:49 AM »
Hell's kitchen is really not an amazing instrumental. It's definitely one of my lesser favorites in Dream Theater discography.

Lines in the sand might be slightly overrated, but it's still solid.

Trial of tears is absolutely amazing.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2015, 04:27:40 AM »
LITS has some cool moments, but I rarely find myself wanting to listen to it among the rest of the discography. A bit disjointed--I tend to zone out for parts. I enjoyed the CiM version, though, because it was the only song there where James really seemed in form. Cool song, but toward the bottom of the 10+ minute songs in DT's discog for me.

ToT used to be in a similar vein, but the BTFW version got me into it more. Love the ending. Probably would be in the 30 range if I did a Top 50.

HK...sounds fine when it's playing, but really should've been left in BMS. The BMS demo would likely be top 25 for me if it was recorded with FII production values.* As it stands, HK is probably the least compelling instrumental DT's done

I can agree with this. I think the Demo of BMS is a much better representation of the piece. The double verse with the interlude so the chorus doesn't come in til later really helps the pacing of the song. And the extended intro riff (after the HK teaser) is a far superior to the regular song's intro. I wish they hadn't tried to turn it into the the next "Lie" or "metal single", it would have been a much more expansive piece. But I suppose HK kinda works pretty welll as an intro to LITS too.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2015, 07:02:42 AM »

This for sure. Good grief, man.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2015, 10:55:12 AM »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2015, 11:30:25 AM »
LITS and HK are both top 10 DT songs
Trial of Tears is great too
I would say these are easily my top 3 from the album

so no

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2015, 12:30:00 PM »
I don't love LITS and HK, I think they're good, but nothing more. TOT, on the other hand, is totally among the best songs on FII.

And also this:

I'll fight the herd in favor of Hollow Years though. I've always loved it, though it's not something I really expected from DT when I first heard it. Another highlight in FII for me.

Hollow Years is just incredible.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2015, 12:51:04 PM »
What on earth is going on round here atm? Why is everyone suddenly turning on the epics? Not just for DT, but other bands as well. This is a prog band forum, for crying out loud!

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2015, 01:11:39 PM »
Nopenopenopenopenopenope

Lines In The Sand is so fun and great and epic, I don't mind Hell's Kitchen (IMO it worked better as part of Burning My Soul, even if the outro is godly), and Trial Of Tears has grown on me a lot lately.
Because Mike is better than Mike

« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2015, 01:24:30 PM »

Hollow Years is just incredible.

The LAB version is incredible, but it makes the studio version unlistenable in comparison for me.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2015, 01:42:07 PM »

Absolutely not.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2015, 02:23:21 PM »

Absolutely not.

This.  All 3 songs are held in very high regard and rightfully so.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White