Author Topic: Any fans of Nobuo Uematsu or The Black Mages?  (Read 6986 times)

Offline The Letter M

Re: Any fans of Nobuo Uematsu or The Black Mages?
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2015, 11:52:44 AM »
I like his stuff, but never having really played any FF games (except most of X - which he didn't do the music for anyway), my only exposure has been from a friend of mine. She's been a huge FF fan most of her life and has even seen the orchestral performance live (Distant Worlds).

I have found this guy makes some AMAZING and EPIC medleys of FF music.

The Epic Final Fantasy V Medley
The Epic Final Fantasy VI Medley
A French Horn Tribute to Final Fantasy VII (Part 1)
A French Horn Tribute to Final Fantasy VII (Part 2)
The Epic Final Fantasy VIII Medley
The Epic Final Fantasy IX Medley

Some really good stuff here! I hope you guys check this guy out - he's got some amazing skills for a multi-instrumentalist, and his arrangements are pretty spot on for these medleys!

EDIT - Apparently the guy is a fan of Dream Theater, Symphony X and Neal Morse, which explains his ability to create such great music and arrangements. His medleys are really epic and when I first heard them, I thought "Hmmm, he's a bit Neal Morse-y here..."

-Marc.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 12:19:41 PM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2015, 12:32:46 PM »
He's also a big Haken fan. I know of him, but had no idea about these medleys, thanks Marc! Listening to the FFVIII one right now and it's rather tasty! He is to symphonic prog what The Black Mages are to jam rock.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2015, 12:48:31 PM »
He's also a big Haken fan. I know of him, but had no idea about these medleys, thanks Marc! Listening to the FFVIII one right now and it's rather tasty! He is to symphonic prog what The Black Mages are to jam rock.

Glad I could share! I love his FFIX medley, I think it might be my favorite. Like I said, though, I had never played any of those games, so I don't have the same connection some fans would, but the music ALONE is just so good! And these medleys are so tastefully well done.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline seltaire

« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2015, 08:33:24 PM »
No one mentioned this classic?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0JnXdfoYpY

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2015, 01:34:06 PM »
No one mentioned this classic?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0JnXdfoYpY

The Black Mages version is totally one of my favourites. I'm pretty sure I did mention that in my post??

I'm in the process of putting together a 'Top 50 Albums' list at the moment and we will see the appearance of some Black Mages/ Distant Worlds albums.

Offline seltaire

« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2015, 03:47:46 PM »
Oh hm, I must have missed it.  :P Battle on Big Bridge is one of my favorite songs to jam out to.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2019, 05:51:32 PM »
Necro-bump of this old thread, but TODAY finally brings us the new Marc Papeghin FF Medley, for Final Fantasy X, although this time, it's more like an ALBUM than a single medley, and it's structured like Transatlantic's Bridge Across Forever - two epics that bookend, with a shorter epic in 2nd, and a short third song (the title track).

Children Of Yevon
1. Steps Of Fate (25:04)
2. The Endless Dream (16:43)
3. Children Of Yevon (6:28)
4. Ultimate Journey (24:26)

It's been several (four?) years in the making, so around the time this thread was started, and it's taken Marc and many friends to perform his arrangements, as well as doing all of the video and presentation for YouTube. The album is available for FREE download, but please make a donation as his music is well-deserving of it!

-Marc.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 06:14:18 PM by The Letter M »

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2019, 12:26:49 PM »
I'm 100% going to be downloading and listening tomorrow, cheers dude!

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2021, 12:07:27 AM »
The Final Fantasy VII Remake OST is now up on Spotify:

https://open.spotify.com/album/2ufkFJsK2Hh2ZdmgrRmCv3?si=dEAYRHneRyGy3Ie_771P8A&utm_source=copy-link

It's over 8 hours long so that should do me today  :heart

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2021, 01:53:17 PM »

So went to download this album this evening (mainly because I am now in love with the FFVI Medley). In the process I discovered that this album is a thing...

Turns out it's a live Distant Worlds album that came out in 2015 (I think), along with a blu ray release. I guess it was a Japan only release. I think there may be other releases that I don't own so need to investigate. Gotta have all the Distant Worlds albums, they're life altering!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2021, 02:23:28 PM »
Gotta have all the Distant Worlds albums, they're life altering!
The first three were fantastic. The last two have been good too, but they're starting to reuse ideas a bit so the excitement has worn off a little for me.

I be am boner inducing.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2021, 03:30:11 PM »
Gotta have all the Distant Worlds albums, they're life altering!
The first three were fantastic. The last two have been good too, but they're starting to reuse ideas a bit so the excitement has worn off a little for me.

I mean, you're not wrong. It's the first two that I love, and are great from start to finish. There is a drop off after that for me, but every album has at least one or two songs I love.

I'm a sucker for a medley or a new arrangement of a lesser known song. I am excited at the prospect of checking out a new album though, so will report back.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2023, 05:34:16 PM »
Using a Phoenix Down on this thread to say that Marc Papeghin has blessed the world with a new Epic Final Fantasy Medley with music from FFVII! Buckle in, it's a lengthy one!

https://youtu.be/NOzqU4q_cX4

-Marc.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2023, 05:38:31 PM »
Using a Phoenix Down on this thread to say that Marc Papeghin has blessed the world with a new Epic Final Fantasy Medley with music from FFVII! Buckle in, it's a lengthy one!

-Marc.

Nice! I’ll definitely be listening to this tomorrow, I really some of his other medleys. Cheers dude.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2023, 10:38:53 PM »

-Marc.

That is one of, if not, the best Prog Epic covers I have heard. I also hear little nods to his influences. I would love for him to tackle other video games, such as Chrono Trigger....Or better yet, Earthbound.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2023, 03:04:30 AM »
I haven’t gotten to this yet. I just searched the guy on Spotify and he has loads of FF medleys on there, as well as a tribute to John Williams. I’m going to listen to all of these first today, then finish up with the new FFVII Medley  :heart

Cheers Marc.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2023, 03:26:18 AM »
That's a great medley, one of his best for sure.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2023, 03:27:32 AM »
I haven’t gotten to this yet. I just searched the guy on Spotify and he has loads of FF medleys on there, as well as a tribute to John Williams. I’m going to listen to all of these first today, then finish up with the new FFVII Medley  :heart

Cheers Marc.
Some of his older ones are a bit thin and amateurish sounding, although still very fun. Not sure what he has on Spotify now, at one point most weren't on there but maybe they are now. His Youtube channel is the best place to check his stuff out.

I be am boner inducing.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2023, 04:16:23 AM »

Cheers Marc.
Some of his older ones are a bit thin and amateurish sounding, although still very fun. Not sure what he has on Spotify now, at one point most weren't on there but maybe they are now. His Youtube channel is the best place to check his stuff out.

Yea, I’ve got the Children of Yevon FFX medleys on my iPod, which are really good. So far this morning gone through an FFV, FFIX and FFVIII Medley, which have all been pretty decent. These are the only ones on his Spotify.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2023, 12:30:35 PM »
So I just found this via Reddit…

https://gamegrooves.bandcamp.com/album/limit-breaker-a-ska-tribute-to-final-fantasy-vii

A ska tribute to Final Fantasy VII!  :millahhhh

If nothing else, just check out the Gold Saucer cover, it’s glorious.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2023, 04:41:10 AM »
So we’ve got a new Distant Worlds album out on August 21st. Distant Worlds VI: More Music From Final Fantasy.

https://ffdistantworlds.com/product/dw6-cd/

I’m an absolute sucker for these albums. The first two are god tier and absolutely stacked with the best Final Fantasy music. Each subsequent release, at least to me, has some outstanding renditions, but some lesser favourites. I’ll always pick up each new one, but I know they won’t top the first two, for me.