Author Topic: What vocal register(s) does JLB use?  (Read 1073 times)

Offline Zyzzyva17

What vocal register(s) does JLB use?
« on: January 20, 2015, 12:39:39 PM »
For all the vocal enthusiasts here:

How would you classify JLB's use of vocal registers? In other words, what notes is he hitting in full chest voice or full head voice or a mix? Feel free to give examples.

Also, if your answer is different before and after the accident, specify as such.
D - D/F# - G - D - Bm - Bm/A - E/G# - A

Offline Martinman300

Re: What vocal register(s) does JLB use?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 11:38:59 AM »
I think that these days it's all chest up to about F#/G4, where he blends in more mix and uses a lower larynx position then he used to. I think this is why his vowels aren't as clear these days, and the high notes not as bright, but it allows him to sing more consistently than before.

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

Re: What vocal register(s) does JLB use?
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 01:08:43 PM »
The tricky thing about picking apart James' registers is those gritty high screams he does. They don't sound like most singers' high notes. Not sure if it's a register thing or a tonality thing.

I think he's mostly chest up to around C5--hence why he's straining in the B4/C5 range live so often. Tends to mix around C#5/D5, and he's mostly in head by E5 or so.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.