Do you prefer TMOLS over Octavarium?

Yep, I like TMOLS more than Octavarium.
23 (22.5%)
No. Just....no.
74 (72.5%)
Not at all keen on either.
5 (4.9%)

Total Members Voted: 101

Author Topic: Does anyone here enjoy Ministry of Lost Souls more than Octavarium?  (Read 4817 times)

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
Re: Does anyone here enjoy Ministry of Lost Souls more than Octavarium?
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2015, 02:18:06 PM »
TMOLS is in my opinion, the worst song DT ever wrote. Octavarium is top tier. So no....just no
This. TMOLS is my least favorite DT while Octavarium is my all time favorite DT. So easy choice there.  :lol
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2015, 02:44:38 PM »
I find TMOLS pretty boring until the instrumental section. It's not the worst thing they've done. That goes to Prophets of War (on the same album!) It just does nothing for me overall. Octavarium on the other hand is pure awesomeness from start to finish. It doesn't matter to me what it's about (I guess I wouldn't mind knowing) but the atmosphere, music, and epicness make up for its nonsensical lyrics. I'm also in the minority that loves Full Circle.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2015, 04:07:23 PM »
The Ministry of Lost Souls VS Octavarium.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n5E7feJHw0

Offline 425

« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2015, 04:41:56 PM »
But structurally, I think MOLS compares much more closely with something like Endless Sacrifice than 8VM.  I would never in a million years have thought to compare these two songs.

I would actually say that it most closely resembles Sacrificed Sons. Both of them are long-form songs that start off as ballads and have a heavy and mostly unrelated instrumental section in the middle before returning to a similar but more intense section to the first one at the end.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Mosh

« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2015, 12:41:03 AM »
I find TMOLS pretty boring until the instrumental section. It's not the worst thing they've done. That goes to Prophets of War (on the same album!) It just does nothing for me overall. Octavarium on the other hand is pure awesomeness from start to finish. It doesn't matter to me what it's about (I guess I wouldn't mind knowing) but the atmosphere, music, and epicness make up for its nonsensical lyrics. I'm also in the minority that loves Full Circle.
Full Circle isn't generally liked around here? I love it! I think the lyrics are clever and the music is hard hitting.

But structurally, I think MOLS compares much more closely with something like Endless Sacrifice than 8VM.  I would never in a million years have thought to compare these two songs.

I would actually say that it most closely resembles Sacrificed Sons. Both of them are long-form songs that start off as ballads and have a heavy and mostly unrelated instrumental section in the middle before returning to a similar but more intense section to the first one at the end.
Sacrificed Sons at least makes more sense conceptually, whether intentional or not. The way the heavy instrumental section just comes out of nowhere nicely illustrates the shock of 9/11. TMOLS sounds like they just felt like throwing in a proggy instrumental section for no real reason.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2015, 02:07:31 AM »
Sacrificed Sons at least makes more sense conceptually, whether intentional or not. The way the heavy instrumental section just comes out of nowhere nicely illustrates the shock of 9/11. TMOLS sounds like they just felt like throwing in a proggy instrumental section for no real reason.

I would say that the instrumental section of TMOLS is definitely intentional and symbolic conceptually to the meaning of the song in perhaps a similar way to; how The Dance of Eternity relates to the Scenes From a Memory story and One Last Time, or how Stream of Consciousness relates to the story of Vacant.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2015, 07:02:23 AM »

I still think it's almost exactly the same song as Endless Sacrifice structurally.  Soft, ballady verses, with louder, bigger choruses, followed by long instrumental sections, then big and loud at the end, loud choruses, then an outro.  There are differences, of course, but those are the similarities.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2015, 07:28:31 AM »
Funny that comparisons made to TMOLS by ES and SS are being made as I have always associated them all as being similar songs - ballads with long, heavy instrumental sections. Before BC&SL came out, I was worried we'd get another song like that and that they were recycling the same idea over-and-over.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline adamack

« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2015, 10:09:37 AM »
There was definitely a time in which I did like TMoLS more than Octavarium.

But now, I don't think anything will ever pass Octavarium. Ministry is a damn fine song, and it would make my top 20. There has never been a time that I didn't like Ministry, and there has never been a time that it wasn't a top 20 DT song for me.

But Octavarium is just on another level for me.

I think the main thing that sticks out to me is replay value. Octavarium has been able to remain being a favorite of mine over time, despite MANY listens. But Ministry has kinda lost a bit of its power over time.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2015, 06:44:25 PM »
Full Circle isn't generally liked around here? I love it! I think the lyrics are clever and the music is hard hitting.

I never see any praise for it. It mostly gets trashed for the nonsensical lyrics and whatnot.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2015, 07:15:24 PM »
I would never in a million years have thought to compare these two songs.

Same here.  TMOS is in my bottom 10 DT songs.  I have never liked it.  Octavarium is in my top 3. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2015, 08:07:27 PM »
According to my top 50 list... yes... TMoLS>8VM.

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2015, 08:40:47 PM »
Doc where i found your list ?

Offline Mosh

« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2015, 09:24:04 PM »

I never see any praise for it. It mostly gets trashed for the nonsensical lyrics and whatnot.
The nonsensical lyrics are awesome.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2015, 09:43:50 PM »
I listened to that album a month or two ago and discovered I liked Ministry a whole lot better than I thought. I thought it was too long by a chorus or two, but nevertheless a whole lot better than I originally thought. 8V is hit and miss for me. Parts of it are spectacular and parts of it not so much. Honestly, like RtK said the parts that are great surpass Ministry, but I think it's a lot closer than most.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2015, 10:45:44 PM »

The nonsensical lyrics are awesome.

I fourth that. The lyrics are awesome.

Also, I think if people are trying to make sense of the nonsensical lyrics their probably missing the point, because they're supposed to come across somewhat abstract.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2015, 11:42:38 PM »
I feel like this thread is specifically my fault

and yes I did remember that I specifically ranked these two right next to each other in my top 50 list

Offline gabeh1018

« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2015, 04:12:23 AM »
when 8vm first came out I was a little suspect of the title track but then i saw DT perform it live at Radio city and for whatever reason I've been sold ever since
top 5 song for me

tMoLS is an ok song with an interesting instrumental section
I am fond of JP's outro

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2015, 04:46:59 PM »
Funny that comparisons made to TMOLS by ES and SS are being made as I have always associated them all as being similar songs - ballads with long, heavy instrumental sections. Before BC&SL came out, I was worried we'd get another song like that and that they were recycling the same idea over-and-over.

-Marc.

I think Peruvian Skies is actually the precursor of these songs, although with a ahorter instrimental. But the structure is there.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2015, 07:42:31 PM »
They are approximately equal to me (I really love both, they're both stand out songs to me from two great albums).  But, I chose "no, just no" since if I HAD to choose one over the other I'd go with Octavarium.  I don't want to live without either, though. 

I actually listened to both of these songs just today, what a coincidence.  I even e-mailed a co-worker about TMOLS this morning (to bug him, he doesn't care for Systematic Chaos).

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2015, 09:13:26 PM »
No to the thread question.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2015, 09:24:25 PM »
no pls
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing